Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 6:37 PM
Default Please suggest a prebuilt system OR a place where you can have a custom build.
I am buying a second PC to run the Sims at full graphics quality. I've been looking at other threads here and the spec talk is over my head. I need someone to suggest a prebuilt desktop that can run the sims full blast in the 800$ range. OR If someone can suggest a site that lets you custom build and they send it to you built. Tiger Direct used to do this exclusively, but now they sell tons of prebuilt machines and I can't figure out how to build anything on there. I built a system there 10 years ago, but they've changed their site a lot and I can't wade through it.

So if someone could suggest a desktop from Dell or the sort that's already built -- or tell me of a site that easily builds for you and I can copy someone else's "dream" system I've seen here, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 10:09 PM
Have you looked through this forum? I know that I've seen several suggested systems at several different price points recently.

It would help if we knew whether you'll be running anything other than the Sims. It would also help if we knew which Sims you're talking about: 1, 2, 3, or 4, and whether you're talking about the base-game or all EPs (and SPs).
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 12:10 AM
Sorry, I thought I was posting on a TS3 only board. I didn't realize I was in an open forum. I looked through the forum and found lots of configurations and specs but not a lot of "This machine will run out of the box" I did a bunch of Google searches and asked on another forum, and I narrowed it down to 2 machines. My husband threw me a curve and said he wanted to go with Dell no matter what -- even if it cost more. So I ended up getting http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-...lienware-x51-r2 This system. I spent most of today googling and talking to gamers who play stuff MUCH higher end than TS3. I didn't realize that as far as gaming goes, Sims 3 is pretty small potatoes compared to most FPS style games.
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 1:35 PM
Ugh... Dell?? May I ask why he absolutely had to go with Dell?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 1:48 PM Last edited by kewpie : 10th Sep 2013 at 2:52 PM.
He felt really bad about it when I told him I was up all night researching the machine I felt cornered into. So as soon as customer service opens I am cancelling. THIS is what I want to get instead from ibuypower.com This is what I originally wanted (except I added a few doodads since I had a bigger budget) I copied most of the specs from a thread late last month on this site. I am learning how to build again. It had been 10 years since I built anything, but it kind of came back -- well copying came back and the specs made more sense.

Gamer Mage D245
* Case ( AZZA Armour Gaming Case – Blue )
* Processor ( AMD FX-6300 )
* Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] – Standard 120mm Fan )
* Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3–1600 Memory Module – Corsair or Major Brand )
* Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 7790 – 1GB – Single Card )
* Motherboard ( ASUS M5A97 R2.0—AMD 970 )
* Power Supply ( 500 Watt – Corsair CX500 V2 )
* Hard Drive ( 2 TB SATA HARD DRIVE—32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s – Single Drive
* Optical Drive ( 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive – Black )
* Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer – Black )
* Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
* Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
* Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) – 64-Bit )
* Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service ) (Dell only had 1 year!!)

Also found a similarly priced FX "Endless Summer Special" on the same site.
Scholar
#6 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 3:43 PM
iBuyPower has bad reputation, but in general that's the kind of specs you should look for, minus the liquid cooling.

Are you in the U.S.? We may be able to find a better option.

Edit: the gpu is a bit weak.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 4:02 PM
I am in the US. I made 4 machines with identical specs on ibuypower.com and got 4 different prices. I am back to where I started -- overwhelmed by the choices. Whats wrong with liquid cooling? They are offering it as a free upgrade this summer so it defaults to that when you buy it.

What are some better places to build? I can NOT build it myself. I have a toddler and I am clumsy. Bad combination. I'd rather go halfway and have a custom system built for me.
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 4:07 PM
Free? Oh! Well nothing wrong with it, it's just normally its not cheap and you won't see a difference compared to a traditional fan. I'll check on the internet what I can find.

Are you planning on doing anything else with your computer? Photoshop? Video Editing?
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 4:11 PM
Nothing so fancy. We have a Mac for that stuff. This will just be for TS3 and random putzing around online. Oh I MIGHT let my husband use it for Skyrim now and then. But this will by my machine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 6:09 PM
This site got a few gripes on the Ripoff Report, but nothing compared to ibuypower. So thanks for putting some time and effort into helping me out. It was also easy because you linked to each product and all I had to do was click on each component and add to my cart. Unfortunately the only spare OS I have around is Vista. We had a copy of Win7, but just put it in the Mac with Boot Camp and that's going to be my husband's gaming machine so I can't rip it out, unfortunately.

Thanks so much. It was handy and I liked that I wasn't configuring and tweaking a premade system like Ibuypower and the other building sites. I'd put in identical specs -- even changed the case so each order had everything identical -- and the prices were all over the map. I had no idea what I was paying for. This was nice and clear cut.
Scholar
#12 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 7:26 PM
Glad I could help. Let me know how things work out for you! I've only used the Canadian version of NCIX. Their service was decent so I hope the american counter parts are as accommodating.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 6:35 PM
The only thing right now is that the memory kit was on back order and won't be in the warehouse until WEDNESDAY. I googled "NCIX slow to ship orders" and got lots of hits about people complaining that NCIX quickly processes orders and then takes forever to ship them out. I was hoping to get it this week, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Still, they DO have a reputation of well built machines at a good price. They are just famous for being "quick to take your money and slow to give you a product"
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 6:12 PM
I had to upgrade the PSU to 750W and the case was too short for the video card. So it will be a little bit longer.
Scholar
#15 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 4:29 AM
They told you that you need a new power supply? According to my calculations the CX 430 is more than enough for the i5 and the 7950...
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 9:12 AM
I dunno, but I wondered because it was a 3G video card rather than a 1G. My gut said 430 wouldn't cut it and I called them. They said it would work fine with the 430, but then I checked my email and someone else in a different department had said my PSU needed an upgrade about 3 hours before I called customer service.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 10:19 PM Last edited by ajshn : 22nd Sep 2013 at 3:19 AM.
Ajax, once one would receive the computer, what would they have to do themselves with it? Like do you get to just turn it on, install a game and just go, or what?
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 4:26 PM Last edited by kewpie : 23rd Sep 2013 at 6:53 PM.
They are sending my computer with the graphics card uninstalled. They sent me a youtube link that will walk me through installation. They said the pins might bend in shipping if they are already installed. Otherwise, I think everything is good to go. I believe that Windows is already installed. If not, it's not too bad to self install.

I'll tell you what I had to do to set it up... IF IT EVER COMES .. GEEEZ THEY ARE SLOW!!! Sorry. They said they'd ship out Friday and I look and they have NOT shipped out yet. Grrrrrrr....

Edited to add: I called them and they said they think it shipped out and the people who shipped it didn't put in a tracking number for it. They are checking to see if this is the case.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 8:49 PM
At least its free shipping and you didn't have to pay for it to take forever.
Scholar
#20 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 10:10 AM
Yep video card installation is super easy. You'll be fine
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 5:32 PM
It will be here Monday. I am just whining like a little kid because I want it to be here NOW! I want to play with my new toy.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Sep 2013 at 8:39 PM Last edited by kewpie : 1st Oct 2013 at 2:04 AM.
Only the video card had to be installed. Windows 7 already came installed.
Scholar
#23 Old 1st Oct 2013 at 10:27 AM
Good! If the video card drivers weren't installed, don't forget to install them too! How is the computer running? Is it loud?
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Oct 2013 at 3:03 PM
It's not loud at all. I can run everything at max (except I don't go more than 4 lots in full detail. It looks incredible. I just mostly spend time staring at the wood grain on the floor and reflections on the water right now.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 12:34 AM
Hey kewpie, whats your loading speeds like on your new computer?

Page 1 of 2