Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrsNervousSubject
Yeah it's a bit silly.
We only recently received an R18+ video game rating, after years of us protesting due to all these games being refused classification and then the games having to be watered down to be resubmitted.
And do you know what that's changed?
Shit. All.
As of this post, we've only had about 3 games get an R18+ rating, and even games like Saints Row V had to be resubmitted because it was refused an ADULT rating. Why? Because of ONE side mission (the Shaundi drug mission).
Yeah, I'm moving to America. Who wants to house me? :P

Edit: Oh, and Sims is only M due to the sexual references it makes.
IE woohoo. Under sheets. Under a censor blur.
Yeah, good to see our taxes are going to good use. :D

, I think it is less the woohoo the board has trouble with and more the fact you can watch your sims make out & the fact the game has gambling in it. I've notice that while violence and sometimes even sexual stuff get reasonable ratings, they are crazy strict about alcohol, drugs and gambling. Silly from the county that has the highest number of Slot Machines per capita but unfortunately true, At least it is only M which is recommended 15 yrs and older, so you can actually buy it at any age. The 15 years is just a recommendation for parents not enforced law.

Also next time people don't believe you that it isn't rated Teen everywhere just cause America does (I have also had this happen to me a few times in conversations in various forums) you can just tell them to go to the sims 3 website and change the country to Australia and scroll down to the bottom. Saves you having to take picture of your games and upload it,
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 4:36 AM
Not so much the gambling though - it does only say "sexual references" (talking about Base game). The gambling and stuff is DLC/EP (both in Sims 2 and 3)
But yes, I agree with you. :P
It's interesting though that I know a lot of Australians who know about ratings overseas, but not so much vice-versa.
*Shrug*
I shouldn't even be on here. My eyes are killing me.
*Flies off into the sun*
Forum Resident
#53 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 8:27 AM
Well ratings seem pretty much the same almost everywhere, so it makes sense that theres less awareness of exeptions.

Here in the Netherlands movies seem to be rated differently though, 12+ movies contain sex as well rather often. Then again, most dutch movies seem to have sex and nudity in it. Especially older ones.
We might be one of the most liberal countries on this topic though, seeing how prostitution is legal here, and the topic seems less taboo in general.

Makes it even stranger to me that by american standards, games can contain the sickest violence known to man, and still it would be seen as a bigger issue that a pair of bare breasts would be shown somewhere in the same game in a cutscene. As if the sight of bare breasts would be more harmfull to children than extreme violence.
One Minute Ninja'd
#54 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
Makes it even stranger to me that by american standards, games can contain the sickest violence known to man, and still it would be seen as a bigger issue that a pair of bare breasts would be shown somewhere in the same game in a cutscene. As if the sight of bare breasts would be more harmfull to children than extreme violence.

Now this is something I find disturbing about US standards as well. Blowing someone's brains out onto the wall behind them in some video game is not a big deal, but flash one nipple during the Super Bowl, and you've got outraged editorials and opinion pieces being written across the nation. I live here, and still don't get it.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 9:54 PM
Indeed, its just a silly double standard.

Personly I am just annoyed by censorship when it makes no sense. Often in movies you first see it hinted at that people are having sex, and for some reason the next morning they feel the need to cover themselves up rather prudishly while they clearly saw each other naked already. It just kills immersion at that point and just makes you realise you are watching a movie.
On the other hand I have no interest either to see explicit sex in movies, its good to keep it tastefull and not see too much, hear some music instead of whatever noises would normally be heard, and thats it. Such scenes shouldnt be too long either, just makes it embarassing to watch with less close friends and family.

Why it wouldnt need to be shown too explicitly, is because it would shift the attention away from the story. A lot of movies do seem to get it right, though recently it seems the trend to be more explicit in it like in most HBO series, but personly I find it going a bit too far at times.I do hope that videogames will get to grow and get to "explore their sexuality" so to speak, and get to be pretty much where movies are now with it. Mass Effect 1 seemed to have it pretty much like that, and controversy ensued for some mild sex scenes of pixel people where you dont really see anything either. It got an 18+ rating just for that.
One Minute Ninja'd
#56 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
Indeed, its just a silly double standard.

Personly I am just annoyed by censorship when it makes no sense. Often in movies you first see it hinted at that people are having sex, and for some reason the next morning they feel the need to cover themselves up rather prudishly while they clearly saw each other naked already. It just kills immersion at that point and just makes you realise you are watching a movie.

In fairness, I would point out that in real life, those nighttime tussles usually occurred with the lights turned off, and some alcohol to smooth over the rough edges of the evenings pursuit, so unless you're a gym rat blessed with perfect proportion genes, it can be a bit of a scramble to make yourself seem presentable in the light of day. And at least some strategic clothing can go a long way.
Test Subject
#57 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 2:13 AM
Default well..
I like realistic gameplay! Initially I BEGAN playing the sims when I was around roughly 10-11 so of course the childish aspect of the sims appealed to me. Now that I'm 25 I want/need a little more realism. I would play ANOTHER game but none offer quite the same things as the sims. I wish I could mix GTA 5 and sims 3 together and then everything would be perfect. Personally I'm not enchanted by simlish I don't care for it. I would love it if there were an option for you to either let the sims talk in simlish or english. I'd like to hear words, real words,and real conversations. I feel like EA hasn't really done enough with sims. The graphics are subpar at best, when they could be WAY better and the games are all just slightly improved remakes of the other games. I get bored easily, I like playing with my sims 3 dollies but after a certain amount of time there's only so much you can do with them. I'd like the DRUGS aspect, the crime aspect, diseases, REAL neighborhoods where it doesn't all look the same. I hate how the hoods in Sims 3 look, its all just so picturesque and nice. I live in Chicago where every neighborhood is different and I would love it if the sims would portray that. Can we get a trashy RV filled neighborhood where only trailer park trash resides? Can we get a urban neighborhood that resembles a ghetto with liquor stores, graffiti, and WIC offices? Trust me I'd play another game but none are as HANDS on as Sims 3.GTA 5 has missions and although you can freelance you can't really alter their lives as much or do as much.

I think sims 4 gameplay should be optional there should be an adults version and a version that is teen friendly. Why keep RECREATING the same game while every other game is leaps and bounds ahead of Sims? They have to do SOMETHING different, use a different formula or else they will always manage to stay where they are exactly.. while games like GTA 5 make billions in only days..

I don't mean to sound harsh because I love sims 3 I just think there is so much more that can be done with it. I'm sick of new games coming out that really aren't that different from the old ones and spending money on stuff that could've easily been included in the base packs. I'm not excited for sims 4 at all and probably won't be buying. EA needs to do better!
Forum Resident
#58 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 10:08 AM
well the sims is the sims. It has its own style and I do think they should hold onto it.

They should speak simlish, there shouldnt be any drugs, extreme violence or rampant sex scenes obviously, but thats not to say some things cant be improved to make the game a bit more mature in some ways without going overboard.

Regarding woohoo, they could do a bit more with this.
Like sims not needing to be in love with someone to woohoo with them. Attraction and love could be a bit more seperate. Seeing how there are life term goals for sims to be a slut, I'd gues this would make sense.
It could depend on traits even. Family oriented sims, good sims, hopeless romantics and such could only be capable of woohooing with someone they love, and could also be unlikely to cheat on their partner.
Being flirty, having commitment issues and other such traits however could make sims more interested in woohooing with someone they find attractive than building a lasting relationship with them. They wouldnt need to love them. Again something where relationships not always being mutual would help a lot.
The flirty sim could woohoo with a family oriented sim who loves her, but she would just be attracted to him. Afterwards, the fellow could keep trying to call her and get in touch with her while she already tries to find her next conquest.
If she finds a fellow with commitment issues, they could both want the exact same thing and move on afterwards without looking back.

While drugs wouldnt be something for the sims, it could be interesting if some sort of addiction was in the game. (aside from using the computer, their smartphone or baking waffles.) Mostly I feel this is needed to add a bit of difficulty to your sims their succes. Something that can hold them back, an obstacle to overcome. Sims could even have an intervention to help an addicted friend.
I think they should use alcohol for this, or if they like they could still call it nectar. Either way sims could really mess up their work and social work because of their addiction, the ill effects of it would clearly be shown in the game.

As for violence, its a difficult subject. I'd gues the slapping and fighting in a dust cloud works fine. I wouldnt be opposed to robberies and such, though it wouldnt need to be armed robbery. Just some more crime going on, maybe destruction of property such as breaking windows through a careless game of sports, knocking over a vase, and other such things. Maybe sims could deliberatly break some stuff too if they are mean or a hot head.
Sim Fu was a good way to add fights by the way, I hope it returns, but without being forced to wear those outfits.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#59 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 10:48 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 9th Oct 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lemonbutter
I find it a bit nanny-state-ish that The Sims 3, as it stands, would be rated 'M'. What rating is given to things that really are mature in Australia? Oh...wait....it's banned isn't it.

I'm in the UK and all my games are rated 12+ which seems pretty reasonable to me.

He/she probably lives where I do-Australia. Mine all have an M rating as well. You have to understand though that our rating system is different. I'm frequently surprised by this board which is pg13 showing stuff that would be counted as M over here. Then I have to remind myself this is the US pg13 not our pg13. Anything which is considered to be slightly crude will get an M slapped on it here. PG 13 generally means it's pretty safe for your 9+ to watch/play with, which is very useful for those of us with children that age as we know we can grab a PG movie and know it will be okay for everyone to watch.

And no it doesn't get banned it gets slapped with an MA, R or X. X is limited to the ACT and the Northern Territory

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
One Minute Ninja'd
#60 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
He/she probably lives where I do-Australia. Mine all have an M rating as well. You have to understand though that our rating system is different. I'm frequently surprised by this board which is pg13 showing stuff that would be counted as M over here.

I guess that's why US boards are popular with Aussies then.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 21st Oct 2013 at 9:51 AM Last edited by Right-thgiR : 21st Oct 2013 at 10:06 AM.
In regards to rating, in Brazil the game is 16+ when it should be 12+ (like PEGI).
16+ should be for more... hmm, spicier things, you know... mature themes. I guess. It could be that way. Ratings are stupid.
I still wonder why sex is seen as obscene and vulgar, when it's just a part of life... people shouldn't be ashamed by those things.
Whatever.

By the way, it is 16+ for "physical aggression and sexual innuendo/nudity" (something like that).
Banned
#62 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 3:56 PM
I'd like a smarter artificial intelligence system for the upcoming software in that Sims can just walk passed each other in a one-tile-wide hallway, provided that the Sims themselves are not too fat.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Right-thgiR
I still wonder why sex is seen as obscene and vulgar, when it's just a part of life... people shouldn't be ashamed by those things.
Whatever.

Just look at what Facebook is doing. Until their most recent flip-flop, posting beheading videos was OK (as long as you don't cheer for the guy with the sword) but posting breast feeding videos was not.

"All right, now listen. We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Scholar
#64 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 7:33 PM
Diseases, prostitution, and drugs, no; the weight after pregnancy thing, I don't really care. The murder thing.....eh, I'm iffy on that
Scholar
#65 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lord St.Croix
Diseases, prostitution, and drugs, no; the weight after pregnancy thing, I don't really care. The murder thing.....eh, I'm iffy on that

Be sure,that's not gonna happen.Well,at least without mods.EA never add such a things in sims games,cuz their main audience is is children,teens and their parents so game have to stay with family friendly standarts.No prostitution,no sex,no serious violence,no drugs,no alcohol.....Forget it.
Alchemist
#66 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
Be sure,that's not gonna happen.Well,at least without mods.EA never add such a things in sims games,cuz their main audience is is children,teens and their parents so game have to stay with family friendly standarts.No prostitution,no sex,no serious violence,no drugs,no alcohol.....Forget it.

What do you mean no sex? Woohoo is sex.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 9:36 PM
I'd like a darker sims game with a bigger emphasis on crime and punishment. But I can understand why that might be a bad idea from a marketing standpoint and I'm perfectly content with the mods that allow me to add more realistic tones to the game myself. I want prostitution? No need for EA to add it when I have Twallan's Woohooer. I want sims to kill and be arrested for it? There's a weapons mod on this site that allows me to do just that. There's even assassination skill.There aren't any drug mods that I know of but sims can get addicted to cigarettes from the smoking mod. Want things to be even more adult? That's what we have this site's "older sister" for. That isn't to say that EA should just exclude things from their game on the pretense that "The modders can just do it themselves" because that's when people get lazy...or...lazier. But for things that we know would never make it into a sims game for obvious reasons, it's alright to rely on our wonderful modders if they're up for helping us out
Scholar
#68 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
What do you mean no sex? Woohoo is sex.

Woohoo is woohoo.Woohoo is just sex parody,not sex.Well,who at bed,slips under the covers, rolling around and giggles during the sex?
Alchemist
#69 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
Woohoo is woohoo.Woohoo is just sex parody,not sex.Well,who at bed,slips under the covers, rolling around and giggles during the sex?

Heyyyyyyyyyy
Instructor
#70 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 12:12 PM
I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

*I think flu/pneumonia with possible death is mild enough for a T-rated game: I'd like a return of the TS2 diseases but it was too hard for them to get out of control. So it would be nice if were easier for sims to get worse and infect other sims if they don't take care of themselves when they're sick. I agree that the cure should be easy t obtain as well. Like getting a shot at the hospital like we can do in TS3 or drink soup and being able to buy medicine ether at the hospital or the grocery store. I wouldn't be happy with something like we have now in TS3 where your sim gets sick/allergies too often and you can simply ignore it and it'll go away.

*Alcohol/smoking/drugs: I honestly don't think one is more acceptable than the other. I understand that not every country is as liberal about drugs but in the end to me they are all equal. We already have drugs and alcohol in the game (bubbleblower/juice) they just refuse to call them what they are. Heck, they don't even dare to call coffee just coffee. I think would be nice to have all 3 but actually making them addictive would certainly go over the line. I would love for sims to be properly high though or drunk and for smokers to be more prone to being sick along with everybody else in their household.

*Taboos: The one thing that comes to mind here is breast feeding. It's the end of 2013, people need to get a grip. It's completely natural and they allowed it in Medieval. Not really a taboo but I'd like for the peeing in bushes to make a return (if females could have this ability as well would be awesome) or sims who lick their plates clean or wash themselves at the sink. Another one would be make some "female items" available for men and vice versa. for example male sims could wear a skirt or dress and have make-up. And female sims could have more "mainly" hairstyles and armpit hair and hairy legs etc.

*Pregnancies and infancy: I'm not one of those people that want this simulated in every detail. I get that some simmers are mothers and this stuff is endearing to them but to me those early years are extremely boring so the shorter they are the better. I'm not sure what not going back immediately to your figure will add to the game. For example having the sim's water break is clearly more realistic but it doesn't really have anything to "add" as a value to the game-play. I do think they can improve the toddler stage though. Have them interact with each other and their environment. The toddler stage can be a lot more exciting than simply cry, poop, eat. I wish toddlers could "explore" like trying to eat bugs, stick their fingers in the electricity socket, play in the toilet, mess with the flowers in the garden and play and interact with other toddlers.

It would also be nice if same sex couples could go to the hospital and get a baby with either one of their genetics or since this is the sims, let them "engineer" a baby that has both their genetics. Not everything has to be super realistic. Why not give same sex couples the chance to simulate this in their games?

Violence: I'm a little bit more conservative when it comes to this. I think it's the most fun to have fun and quirky ways to have your sims to *ahem* "get rid of their enemies". There are plenty of games out there where you can shoot people up and blow stuff up. I don't think that's really needed in this game. Stuff like having the cowplant eat your enemies, give a sim a poisoned apple does the trick just as well and they are so much FUN. I'd definitely want more ways of killing sims in the game and have them be more accessible and less random but i want them to be fun and quirky and odd. Something you'd be surprised and delighted by.

I think my suggestions would pass the rated T scrutiny but then again, what do I know?

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noeh
There have been lots of debates for past sims games between "realism" and "fantasy". Some people have always wanted a super realistic sims game, which includes hookers, drugs, and cancer. Some people don't want it to be super realistic due to the fact that they play The Sims to get AWAY from that stuff.

Just a list of some topics I've seen people talk about

Deadly diseases such as Cancer & HIV
Recreational drugs
Prostitution
Sim mothers not "snapping" back into perfect shape right after having a baby
The ability to kill other sims

Would you rather The Sims 4 take a darker, more realistic approach? Personally, I'd rather not deal with all that crap in my game. I don't play the sims for deadly diseases, drugs, and hookers.

Well then, that would be an 18 year old game wouldn't it?
But in my opinion [emphasizing on my] realism means related to graphics and graphics only!
Even i dont want murders in my sims newspapers or drug things as well.
Just a bit surprised that the sims 1 was okay.. Sims 2 cartoony and the sims 3 was on the realistic side(all in terms of graphics) so the sims 3 gave the impression that its sequel must also be realistic.
Many people might be disgraced that it is cartoony but that's the way it is and its your choice whether to by it or not. But, after looking at the promos and pics they look horrible. I hope it's not the final game!!! im okay with the caroony look but its not even properly developed look at the pics everything is a mess- THE HAIR, THE CLOTHES TEXTURE, AND CASt is not availible too!!!
my fingers are crossed and im seeking for improvement..
Coolpixie47

Today I stepped on a corn flake, now I'm a CEREAL killer!!!!
:P
Field Researcher
#72 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 8:44 PM
Whilst I enjoy the current cartoon-like idealism of the Sims I certainly wouldn't mind Sims mums not 'springing back into shape'. I always add a little weight to them after they've had kids and make them work it off, or keep it.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 10:07 PM
I'd like a little more realism, but not anything that would be considered 18+. This is after all a teen rated game. For the 18+ stuff, there will always be creators ready to do it, for those who absolutely want it. Cartoony, non-existent bits in the below area is alright for me, but no nipples just looks weird, particularly since the males usually have 'em, and not the females above child age. I'm for gender equality in that particular area...

When that's said, things like breast feeding (which is completely natural, and even recommended), and a possibility to run a hospital (mostly for storytelling purposes), along with driving lessons to be able to drive at all, and the more or less "dangerous" behavior of toddlers that virgalibabe mentioned - that would make the game a lot more interesting. So would more intereactions for babies and toddlers, such as babies learning to sit and crawl, and learning to eat on their own (would be adorable!). Just things that can add to the fun, and give the game a touch of realism without taking it too far.

I also like the non-realistic aspects of the game. I don't want everything to be realistic, or it wouldn't be a sims game.

I'm on principle against drugs, alcohol (the hinting is alright, but as long as it's called "Juice" and not "beer", it's fine for me), and smoking (again, the bubble blower is alright as a hint, but outright smoking with cigarettes or pipes or som such is taking it too far). I don't think I would want my own teenagers (if I had any) play such a game. I wouldn't like HIV in the game, either. Cancer... As long as there's vomiting, bald hair, and maybe a somewhat functional hospital (pleaaaaase!) in the game, or the ability to make one, storytellers will be able to play around with this without it actually being a feature of the game. I don't think I would find it funny if sims I really liked got cancer without my apporoval.

I wouldn't like killing methods such as gun or knives, either. Cow-plant is fine (and fun, and completely unrealistic), while removing pool-ladder, burning, get hit by lightning and so on are already features of the earlier games. Although, I would like the falling piano that someone made as CC...

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I want some more realism, but not too much. Some things just don't belong in a teen game.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 10:17 AM
i really like the cartoon look they did in sims 4 it's just a game right? plus some computers mighty not handle the realisim and such i would say maybe stick with the cartoon thing for a bit then go for realism their is something about the cartoon look that makes me want to buy it now...
Instructor
#75 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 11:03 AM
Instead of raising the rating, creating more controversy and alienating some people, these things are best kept optional. That's what mods are for.

There are some realistic things that aren't gore or drugs that are missing in the game, like banks for example. Surely that's more of a priority, if someone cares about realism... (Which I don't.)
Page 3 of 4