Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 9:19 AM
Default Losing more and more space on my harddrive without doing anything?
Hi,

Since a week or 2 I keep losing more and more space on C: drive, even though I save nothing on it and all my games are on D:, E: and my external, G:.
I'll get a message from time to time the it's getting fuller, and I have the option to remove some temporary files and caches to get some MB free, but meanwhile I've only got 85MB left! I've also removed some programs I don't use anymore but it doesn't work.

Could it be due to saving files from games, even though they're installed on different Harddrives?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#2 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 10:50 AM
Technically yes, by default, your save games will take up space on your C:\ drive even though your main files are on another hard drive. However, even so it should not be enough to cause you to run out of space like that. There's probably something else eating up your hard drive space. Can you post a Dxdiag report for me please, and try to remember if you installed anything new since the problem started? Are you the only person using the computer?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 11:13 AM
You might also want to try using Treesize - it's a very handy tool which will show you which files and directories are taking up the most space on your hard drive, so you can get rid of anything you don't really need.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 12:14 PM
Yes It's my very own PC and no I didn't install anything new. My C: drive is very small. only ~80GB. I currently have 131MB left even though I didn't delete any temporary files, and yesterday I had 85MB left.

I've googled what a Dxdiag report is but I'm still not sure about, they're just my specs. Want me to post those?

#5 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 4:08 PM
Your save game will be stored on your C: drive by default. Save games also tend to get bigger and bigger as you play. There's no way to move just your save game to another drive, but you can move your entire Documents folder, which should free up some space.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 5:05 PM
Well it happened that the only folder I've found was called Electronic Arts and had an EADM folder in it, which was empty. No other folders which have the name EA or Electronic arts.

#7 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 5:10 PM
So where do you put your downloaded CC?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 8:45 PM
Ack! I checked C:! I'm not the brightest light when it comes to technical stuff. (Plug in, plug out, on/off, start/close, this is a graphics card)
I'll try it out. I'll put the folder on my external and see if it works. If that doesn't work This thread can be closed and I'll bring my PC to my neighbour, he might know what's up

#9 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 11:16 PM
As I explained above, you can't just move the folder to your external drive and expect things to work. Instead, you have to move your entire Documents folder. Here's a FAQ:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ownloads_Folder
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 11:51 AM
Currently it's moving my domcuments. When I put the folder only on my external yesterday, I had 7.5GB of free space, but now, after starting up, only 3.3GB left

#11 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 12:34 PM
Quote:
I've googled what a Dxdiag report is but I'm still not sure about, they're just my specs. Want me to post those?

It's your system specs plus more.

Click Start, then go to "Run..." then type "dxdiag" and hit enter. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will appear and will read your system. This may take a few moments. If it asks you if you want to check your drivers online, say yes. Once it's done click the "Save All Information..." button at the bottom right of the window and it'll ask you where you want to save the text file that contains the information. Save it somewhere easy to find, like your desktop and then post here.

I would not recommend you move any folders yet. If you already moved some folders, leave them where they are, don't move the back yet. Just tell me what exactly you did.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 6:31 PM
I've moved my My Documents folder to my external, that's it.

DxDiag:

I hope that's what you meant.

#13 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 7:04 PM
How did you go about moving your My Documents folder? Did you try the Treesize program Nysha linked to find out what is using most of your hard drive space? Are you still losing hard drive space?

Also, according to the report you have only one single physical hard drive in your computer, but partitioned into three drives, C:, D:, and E:. Is there a reason for that?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 10:19 AM
I followed the steps of the tutorial Mootilda linked.

Edit: I've used Treesize and my downloads were taking up all that space, the folder included a program which used so many GB's a day! I've deleted them all and now I've got 30GB free again.

As for my hard drive being only one, no, I don't know why it is that way. Could it be due to it being an old PC(2007)?

#15 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 12:09 PM
Okay as long as you followed the steps in the tutorial everything should be fine.

Having your hard drive partitioned like that is okay too, I was just asking in case it was relevant.

Now that you have more free space keep checking your free space constantly. Don't download anything new from the internet, no movies, no music, no custom content etc. for 2 - 3 days. Check if your free space stays the same. Report back if you keep losing space. If it stays constant for a few days then you're good to go. Just remember to delete your old downloads from time to time.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 12:30 PM
You should consider maybe buying a second internal drive. They aren't expensive anymore. I saw 2TB HDDs for 60-80 €, drive with less space are much cheaper, of course. A 500GB HDD would be enough. Ask your friend if he could install it for you, if you want to buy one.
I guess your Windows temp folder needs cleaning, too. For example, my old anti virus program dumped enormous ammounts of old scaninfo files into that folder and clogged the C: drive. You should really let your friend look into it if you aren't sure about it.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 4:49 PM
I might just torture myself through this until I can afford a new PC.
It's been 4 days without downloading anything and I've got from 30GB to 27GB left, is that normal?

I also started to play Battlefield BC2 within these days, I don't know if that's important.

#18 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 5:00 PM
No, it's not normal if you didn't download anything new. There's something that's still eating up your hard drive space. Use treesize to look at your hard drive today, try and write down what is using the majority of the space. Don't download anything, don't play any games. Just let the computer sit for another 4 days and see if it drops another 3GB and see using treesize if you can find out where the difference is coming from.

EDIT: also what anti virus are you using? when did you download battlefield?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 7:52 PM
I'm using Avira. Battlefield already was on the external, because my brother installed it on it once, I only had to take his CD

#20 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 10:06 PM
Avira was my old anti virus program I was talking about. It dumped a 60-100MB scaninfo file into my windows/temp folder, each day. Very bad, because my C: drive is only 20GB large.
I recommend to delete it's content (not the folder, only the content). You should be abel to delete today's scaninfo file, but all the others. Then I would recommend to delete the cache files of your browser/s.
A Question: Does save Battlefield your savegames in your "My documents" folder? If yes, delete old savegame files you don't use anymore. And don't forget to clear the Recyle Bin. I'm too forget sometimes about it.
Scholar
#21 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 3:16 AM
Johnny_Bravo lost 3GB over 4 days, that's a lot more than 100MB per day.

Johnny_Bravo, can you go to your Control Panel, then click "System" then "Advanced system settings" in the side panel that appears on the left.

The System Properties window will open, click on the "System Protection" tab and select your C: drive under "protection settings". Then click "Configure". In the window that opens there should be a section called "Disk Space Usage", what does it say for "Current Usage" and "Max Usage" (don't change any of the settings)?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#22 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 5:15 PM
Current usage: 2,74GB
Max. Usage: 4%; 3,06GB

#23 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 5:39 PM
Is your free hard drive space still dropping?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 3:29 PM
No. It actually just increased from 27 to 28GB free space.

#25 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 6:26 PM
I think the fluctuation is from Windows making system restore points. I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just make sure you delete your old downloads.

Page 1 of 2