Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 2:07 AM
True. It looks like they are going a cartoon-aspiring goal in the end. I'm reconsidering buying this.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 5:26 PM
I think that CC makes the Sims as realistic as it seems. Have you seen people complaining about the "cartoony" Sims 3 eyes and loving Lemonleaf eyes, Pooklet hair, etc? Once custom content makers get the hang of TS4, we'll have plenty of realism in our games.
One Minute Ninja'd
#28 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by queenkitty
I think that CC makes the Sims as realistic as it seems. Have you seen people complaining about the "cartoony" Sims 3 eyes and loving Lemonleaf eyes, Pooklet hair, etc? Once custom content makers get the hang of TS4, we'll have plenty of realism in our games.

Assuming TS4 can be modded. It's not like they've shared any info on whether it will be less restrictive than 3 was. And 3 got stuff built because someone at EA reached out to some folks who knew how to build the tools, making the transition to custom content a bit easier, and occurred a bit sooner, than it would have without that unofficial assistance. That has not, to my knowledge, yet not occurred for 4 (but if it has, GREAT).

So, if 4 allows for the kind of custom skins, eyes, hair, brows, and whatnot that took quite a bit of time to mature for 3, then the enforced "artistic style" might be expanded. But if everything is locked down, which, based on the initial multiplayer online approach that was initially being pursued could still be an issue, then we're stuck with plastic hair and Sharpie eyebrows.

While we can all speculate about ways to mod the game to change the look, the fact is, until its been on the market for a while, and the modding community has time to develop tools, what you see is what you'll play with for much of the first one or two years after release. Which puts a big emphasis on the "look" of the stock base game alone in making a decision on buying into the next gen release.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#29 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
And 3 got stuff built because someone at EA reached out to some folks who knew how to build the tools, making the transition to custom content a bit easier,

That was 1. 2 Was similar code to 1, 3 was .net so a lot of us knew that already. So far for the graphics stuff it's been built using known tools that many people are already familiar with so the data was not hard to parse. If TS4 uses all in-house developed tools is when we get kind of stuck.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#30 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 9:52 PM
What about TSR Workshop? Wasn't that available pretty much as soon as the TS3 BG came out?

The thing with modding TS4, and this has already been mentioned, but mods that make the sims look better are going to look very out of place if the outside environment ends up looking as shitty as it does now. You want to talk about uncanny valley, let's put decent skin, eyes, and hair on TS4 sims then watch them walk around in a world that looks like a Saturday morning cartoon.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
One Minute Ninja'd
#31 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
That was 1. 2 Was similar code to 1, 3 was .net so a lot of us knew that already. So far for the graphics stuff it's been built using known tools that many people are already familiar with so the data was not hard to parse. If TS4 uses all in-house developed tools is when we get kind of stuck.

I thought there was some "leaked" code on 3, but Inge, I certainly defer to you, as you are way more knowledgeable in this area. Still, until the structure of 4 is available, any speculation on modding or content creation is difficult at best. I really hope they keep the xml, though. That really made their overbearing hand when adding a new "feature" so much easier to manage. Honestly, if it weren't for mods and custom content, I never would have stayed with 3 all this time.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 10:36 PM
I am loving the art style, but it looks like I am one of the few.

But then, I hated how Sims 3 looked and couldn't get into it. I stopped after the Ambitions expansion came out.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 6:14 AM
I love the art style and graphics of Sims 3. Sims 4 seems like a regression, more like Sims 2. So I'm not really a fan. I, like many others, will be waiting and hoping for good custom content to replace the overly cartoon default hair, skins, and eyes.

Legends of Dragon Valley - A Sims 3 Random Legacy
Forum Resident
#34 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by melanch0lydreams
I love the art style and graphics of Sims 3. Sims 4 seems like a regression, more like Sims 2. So I'm not really a fan. I, like many others, will be waiting and hoping for good custom content to replace the overly cartoon default hair, skins, and eyes.

Well, it really is about personal taste... I felt that The Sims 3 was a massive step back in visual style, as 2's mildly cartoony aesthetic fit the gameplay quite well, while The Sims 3's visual style felt very disjointed from gameplay, and not exactly consistent with itself (Beautifully detailed nature, but plastic and rubber looking textures on objects and sims...), and the moment I saw the final graphics, I knew that the game wasn't going to be nearly as charming as 2...

Visuals are made to set a mood... For example, you wouldn't expect to see a dark foreboding atmosphere in a game like Rollercoaster Tycoon. You'd expect light, happy visuals. With The Sims 3, I felt like I was looking into a prison for people who thought they were robots... The visual style feels mildly depressing to some extent... Even with lighting mods...
The worst offender is that UI, which uses way too dark hues, not nearly enough color variation, and those horrendous yellow text boxes, meant to simulate the color of sticky notes, but failing at adding anything to the visuals except a bit of eye strain...

If the game is good, I believe the visual style will work perfectly with it.
Page 2 of 2