Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2014 at 7:01 AM
Default Can Sims 4 actually embrace a T rating rather then running away from it?
I understand there's no way to make the game rated M, but the protective bubble EA has put over it is insane. Nudity is still blurred even though they fought Jack Thompson over it being acceptable almost 10 years ago. Characters still drink "juice" even though I've seen E-rated games with alcohol references. Murder is impossible even though I'm more then capable of doing it in Scribblenauts, an E10+ game.

If you really wanna see what really earns a T rating, do a search for "Senran Kagura Burst" on Google Images (not in public!). Rated T!

Will EA actually give the game a bit of edge or kiddify it even further? Only time will tell...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th May 2014 at 8:05 AM
Well, they're stuck with an 18 rating in Russia and have no plans to take out same-sex relationships (thank goodness!) so they might at well embrace the adult rating.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2014 at 12:51 PM
I actually don't mind the 'juice' (beer) and 'nectar' (wine) references. I'd like the Sims 4 to actually reference more of those (wonderpetal as weed, anyone?) rather than run away and ignore those aspects completely. Kids won't understand, but adults would.
Alchemist
#4 Old 12th May 2014 at 3:06 PM
I think it needs the high rating because that sims can fight with each other and that it may cause damage to really young users to see sims drown or being burned to death.
Scholar
#5 Old 12th May 2014 at 3:41 PM
eh...could we leave the drugs and all that stuff out of the sims? Those things can be added into the game via CC. I just prefer my games to not include weed and cocaine and all that crap.
Alchemist
#6 Old 12th May 2014 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
eh...could we leave the drugs and all that stuff out of the sims? Those things can be added into the game via CC. I just prefer my games to not include weed and cocaine and all that crap.

It already exists, just in a way that is more suitable for young players.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th May 2014 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I actually don't mind the 'juice' (beer) and 'nectar' (wine) references. I'd like the Sims 4 to actually reference more of those (wonderpetal as weed, anyone?) rather than run away and ignore those aspects completely. Kids won't understand, but adults would.

Actually I would use this an opporunity to discuss these topics with my children. Younger kids that wouldn't understand but are old enough to play this game should already be getting at least some kind of basic information from me and this is the perfect stage when they still think I know everything, can fix anything and make it right and don't obsess over what their friends will say.By the time they are a bit older it's a lot harder to get through and they may have already heard all kind of myths and half-baked facts from their peers.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th May 2014 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
It already exists, just in a way that is more suitable for young players.

Lmao making it accessible to kids doesn't make it more suitable for young players. It just means sim kids can get turned up too XD
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th May 2014 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Assassin-sensei
Murder is impossible even though I'm more then capable of doing it in Scribblenauts, an E10+ game.

Will EA actually give the game a bit of edge or kiddify it even further? Only time will tell...

I wouldn't say murder is totally impossible, can't you cause the death of another sim through alien attack, deadly plants, potions or magic? I see a reference to another game that allows the player to murder, isn't that the point? When did The Sims ever have violent objects of destruction other than magic or a killer cowplant? Do you want guns? You will never see that in Sims games without CC.

If I wanted to shoot and kill I would play that simulation game. I don't, so I like the Sims games don't do that.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#10 Old 12th May 2014 at 8:12 PM
I really do wish that Sims would step up and go for a T Rating. I'm even writing a little Sims 3 review/Wish list for Sims 4. I'm not saying they should really add in sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll all over the place to make it more dark and edgy. But adding in "more" seems better to me. I mean, look at the Making Out in Sims 2! That looked... actually kinda fun. That looked like making out to me, with the neck kissing and such. The Sims 3 one is... clean. Oh and especially remove that stupid mosaic filter/blur on nude sims. They all have barbie anatomy, anyway, so it's not like we'd see anything. (Unless we get anatomically correct CC skin, but that's beside the point)

Sure, we can add in the more mature stuff with CC, that's what Sexy Sims is for, pretty much. But adding a few more... risqué things would be... nice. I even suggest this in the wishlist. They can bring the game out kid friendly and everything, but MAYBE give us an option in the menues (or a code that you somehow can only obtain and unlock if you are 18+) to turn on the more adult stuff. Like a potential injury from jobs, especially when your sim is a cop or a doctor, diseases, maybe even amputation (okay that may be overly difficult to animate) and such.

C-A
Instructor
#11 Old 12th May 2014 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
I really do wish that Sims would step up and go for a T Rating. I'm even writing a little Sims 3 review/Wish list for Sims 4. I'm not saying they should really add in sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll all over the place to make it more dark and edgy. But adding in "more" seems better to me. I mean, look at the Making Out in Sims 2! That looked... actually kinda fun. That looked like making out to me, with the neck kissing and such. The Sims 3 one is... clean. Oh and especially remove that stupid mosaic filter/blur on nude sims. They all have barbie anatomy, anyway, so it's not like we'd see anything. (Unless we get anatomically correct CC skin, but that's beside the point)

Sure, we can add in the more mature stuff with CC, that's what Sexy Sims is for, pretty much. But adding a few more... risqué things would be... nice. I even suggest this in the wishlist. They can bring the game out kid friendly and everything, but MAYBE give us an option in the menues (or a code that you somehow can only obtain and unlock if you are 18+) to turn on the more adult stuff. Like a potential injury from jobs, especially when your sim is a cop or a doctor, diseases, maybe even amputation (okay that may be overly difficult to animate) and such.

C-A

What if instead of amputations (if they can't do it), they have accidents and broken limbs that they need to go to the doctor to stich up or put in cast? I'm just thinking in Tim the Tool Man Taylor if you get that reference
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 12th May 2014 at 10:39 PM
Slapping on a T for teen rating is all about sales. They know children play who are younger than teen, so they are not going to add more adult elements as more parents would not buy it for there 11 year olds. So no they won't add in other stuff because that equals less sales. Modders can and will offer other things and EA know that full well. They don't care because that does not effect sales.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#13 Old 12th May 2014 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Slapping on a T for teen rating is all about sales. They know children play who are younger than teen, so they are not going to add more adult elements as more parents would not buy it for there 11 year olds. So no they won't add in other stuff because that equals less sales. Modders can and will offer other things and EA know that full well. They don't care because that does not effect sales.

I'm a great example of that. I started playing the original Sims game when I was 5 (So roughly 5 years after it was published- I was born a few months after the Sims 1 came out).

If accidentally starving my Sim disturbed me, or not knowing what "Woohoo" meant when I clicked on it, and I was geniunely perturbed from those experiences... I don't think that adding mature things to the Sims would work.

Besides from that, I've always thought of the Sims as a cute, quirky game. Not something I'd necessarily want drugs or hookers in, that's for sure. But that might just because this game has been with me ever since I can remember. It's basically my childhood.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th May 2014 at 11:14 PM
But they still could come out with an adult EP for those that are 18 or older. EA has a lot of games that are rated "M" and all.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#15 Old 12th May 2014 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
But they still could come out with an adult EP for those that are 18 or older. EA has a lot of games that are rated "M" and all.

With the way EA makes expansions, that wouldn't make sense.

Something that fits the style of one EP would actually come with another one-- What if this happens with an adult EP? Besides, some people like to have their hands on every EP and SP possible.

It seems weird.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th May 2014 at 11:37 PM
We will have adults mods soon after Sims 4 is released any way.

I just talking about some good looking skins and maybe some adult action is all, nothing that needs other EP/SP to work and no other EP/SP need to use any of the stuff either.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#17 Old 12th May 2014 at 11:39 PM
I wanted my witches to kill a few people with their wands Voldemort-style when Supernatural came out. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I was, and I wasted so much time trying out all the features only to find that none of it does anything remotely dangerous to non-household sims. I really wished that one embraced its rating for sure.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Forum Resident
#18 Old 12th May 2014 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
We will have adults mods soon after Sims 4 is released any way.

I just talking about some good looking skins and maybe some adult action is all, nothing that needs other EP/SP to work and no other EP/SP need to use any of the stuff either.

You misunderstood me.

For example, something that came from Master Suite can look like it came from High End Living. I'm not saying it's required, I'm saying that some people buy packs for a few items out of those packs. Aren't there some people who bought that awful Katy Perry SP just for the nice, fancy dress that was in there?

I don't care if there are adult mods for TS4, I'm not going to download them. But if EA publishes an EP with adult content, it wouldn't feel right. I don't know why, but it just wouldn't. It's supposed to be a cute, quirky game. Don't try and make it something that it's not. If you want that kind of stuff, you can get those mods.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 13th May 2014 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I wanted my witches to kill a few people with their wands Voldemort-style when Supernatural came out. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I was, and I wasted so much time trying out all the features only to find that none of it does anything remotely dangerous to non-household sims. I really wished that one embraced its rating for sure.

I always thought that if werewolves could attack burglars in Sims 2, that the witches should be able to cast spells on them. Say the "cluck like a chicken" spell," while they wait for the police to come.
Inventor
#20 Old 14th May 2014 at 12:25 AM
I don't want weird shit in my game >.> not saying that same-sex relationships is weird, lol, but I'm quite happy with the lack of alcohol and drugs and explicit sex/ nudity etc... I play the sims mostly to escape from how utterly chaotic the real world is. If people want weird shit in their game, they can make mods and hacks. The sims games are not about that kind of stuff, never have been! I find nothing strange about same sex couples, since they're not much different to heterosexual couples in my game.
But if they started making the sims into an ultra realistic representation of how shit society is, then I probably wouldn't buy it. The sims series have NEVER been about ultra-realism.
Test Subject
#21 Old 14th May 2014 at 2:01 AM
They wouldn't lose too many players. Who even looks at ratings anymore except for the concerned parents?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th May 2014 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~

And the worst part is, out of all the Supes in TS3, the Witches and Fairies were the LEAST watered down. Let's not even get into Werewolves, Ghosts, and Vampires.

While we're on the subject of performing violent acts on other sims, I'd like the Martial Arts skill (if it returns in TS4 and I really hope it does) to mean something outside of sparring matches with other sims who know it. If my sim has a maxed out martial arts skill, he should not be losing fights against untrained sims. And let kids learn to fight too. Almost every martial arts school I see in real life has more children in attendance than adults.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 14th May 2014 at 3:42 AM
I don't mind them calling things by different names, juice, nectar, woohoo... I know what they represent so that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is how emotionless and robot the interactions and animation are. Look at the making out on couch animation. In sims 2, it was wild, raunchy, passionate, entertaining to watch (but not in a pervy way) In 3, the animation is DULL! It's almost laughable how passionless and boring it is. In the end, 3 was way too tame for a t rating and i really hope 4 fixes that.
#24 Old 14th May 2014 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

That's a load of crap and we all know it. They scapegoat it as concern parents, yet i'm the one checking out rated M games to adults who turn around and give the game directly to their 10 year old in line.

4 games in and they still have to rely on the community to do the buttload of work for free?
Scholar
#25 Old 14th May 2014 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LunarRain
They wouldn't lose too many players. Who even looks at ratings anymore except for the concerned parents?

I'm not a concerned parent, but I look at the ratings on games - mostly for fun, not really to see how "appropriate" the game is. (Although it did surprise me that Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball was rated 16+/M because of one short from-the-back nudity scene where you can't really see anything, but it's sequel Xtreme 2, which has such breast jiggling motions, you get seasickness, was rated 12+) Then again, I have, at times, spoken up in line at a game store about a parent buying a game for 16+ and only have about a 10 year old with her. (She says she has a 16 year old son, which is all fine and dandy, but... well just cause she has that son doesn't mean the younger one won't play the game)

C-A
Page 1 of 2