Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:15 PM Last edited by Meia_Power : 2nd Jul 2014 at 6:56 PM.
Default Languages supported in The Sims 4
Quote:
What languages are supported in The Sims 4?
The Sims 4 will support English, German, French, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Chinese (Traditional), Japanese, and Korean.

I don't get this. Why are we getting so few languages?

From The Sims 2 to 3, we saw an increase in language options.

(Sorry for the arrow, I couldn't find another image...)

As we can see, we had 16 language options in The Sims 2, and at least 24, for The Sims 3 (I got this number from this site: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/0...e-language.html , I don't know how accurate it is).

But for The Sims 4 we have 17 language options. I don't understand the cut from the previous iteration!
I know it is more than TS2, and TS1, but I didn't expect this kind of change from TS3.

What are your thoughts?
(As a portuguese guy, I hate them right now)

EDIT: Thank you, velocitygrass, for the following info :
Quote: Originally posted by velocitygrass
When comparing the list to http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Locales, the following are missing from TS4:
Chinese (Simplified), Greek, Hungarian, Portuguese (Portugal), Thai

Additionally TS3 had Spanish for Spain and Mexico. Not sure which the Spanish for TS4 is or if it'll be both.

Crocs with socks
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:44 PM Last edited by BubblesO : 3rd Jul 2014 at 10:57 PM.
Can't a company translate a game to Hebrew? Why there is no big company who translates it's game to Hebrew? I mean, I don't mind the game being in English, but it will still be a very useful and helpful feature to play the game in my original language.
Alchemist
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BubblesO
Can't a company translate a game to Hebrew? Why here is no big company who translates it's game to Hebrew? I mean, I don't mind the game being in English, but it will still be a very useful and helpful feature to play the game in my original language.

Does Yiddish count? The Sims 1 had the Mashuga family.
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:58 PM
*sigh* Just yet another way The Sims 4 is regressing from its previous installments. I'm unimpressed, EA. Very unimpressed.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 5:01 PM
I'm gonna guess it's based on the track record for previous sales in that area, and probably compared to other translated/untranslated EA titles sold there as well. So... money.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Banned
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 5:09 PM
Para de chorar.
Instructor
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Contr0versy
Para de chorar.

Ai, meu Deus!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 5:41 PM
Para de chorar.

Bah, então a EA traduziu o Sims 2 e o Sims 3 e não traduz o Sims 4?
Epá, se eu soubesse quem é que faz as traduções...

Crocs with socks
Inventor
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 5:53 PM
When comparing the list to http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Locales, the following are missing from TS4:
Chinese (Simplified), Greek, Hungarian, Portuguese (Portugal), Thai

Additionally TS3 had Spanish for Spain and Mexico. Not sure which the Spanish for TS4 is or if it'll be both.
Banned
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Meia_Power

Agora que ta rica ficou porca com a gente
Scholar
#11 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 6:36 PM
Please stop posting in Portuguese. Not only is it against site rules it's also extremely annoying to other posters.

Even when someone translates the posts they still get nonsensical results due to the fact that quick online translators don't understand many common colloquialisms and casual speech, especially in a less spoken language such as Portuguese.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Banned
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 6:48 PM
Coitadinha.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Please stop posting in Portuguese. Not only is it against site rules it's also extremely annoying to other posters.

Even when someone translates the posts they still get nonsensical results due to the fact that quick online translators don't understand many common colloquialisms and casual speech, especially in a less spoken language such as Portuguese.

You're right, I'm sorry.

I'll then translate all the posts in Portuguese:

Para de chorar.

Stop crying.

Quote: Originally posted by Motorcitydude
Ai, meu Deus!

Oh, my God!

Quote: Originally posted by Meia_Power

Uh, so EA translated TS2 and TS3, and doesn't translate TS4?
Damn, if only I knew who translates these games...

Agora que ta rica ficou porca com a gente

(I'm not quite sure how this translates...)

Coitadinha.

Poor little girl

E ela está certa, Contr0versy. É contra as regras.
(She's right, Contr0versy. It is against the rules).

A few more posts, and you'll all be able to speak portuguese :P

Crocs with socks
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 7:50 PM
I don't get this! They are adding both American and British versions of English and not the ORIGINAL Portuguese (Portugal)? It's not that I don't appreciate the Brazilian one but it is quite different from ours and I'm sure this happens with a lot of languages too it's things like these that makes me hate EA. I can tell they don't actually care about their fans anymore, just like HP said, it's all about the money now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ricardo17
I don't get this! They are adding both American and British versions of English and not the ORIGINAL Portuguese (Portugal)? It's not that I don't appreciate the Brazilian one but it is quite different from ours and I'm sure this happens with a lot of languages too it's things like these that makes me hate EA. I can tell they don't actually care about their fans anymore, just like HP said, it's all about the money now.

Yeah, that's what I noticed too.
And PT-PT and PT-BR are so much more different than british and american english!
The translations for both TS2 and TS3 were drastically different in PT-PT and PT-BR...

Crocs with socks
Inventor
#16 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ricardo17

Where do you see them adding distinct American and British versions? The FAQ only says English.
Alchemist
#17 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:17 PM
Where do you see them adding distinct American and British versions? The FAQ only says English.

Maybe "woohoo" is replaced with "shag."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:23 PM

Which raises the question, which English is it? (although it is likely to be american english)

Thank you for noticing it :p

Crocs with socks
Inventor
#19 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:30 PM
TS3 was American so I'd expect that to be the case for TS4 as well. (Assuming this was a genuine question...)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:32 PM
As a non-native English speaker, I can't say how many differences are from USA english and British english, so I can't comment on the absence of two distinct translations for these two.

However, brazilian portuguese, and portuguese portuguese (lol) are quite different, and they even aknowledged that by saying specifically "brazilian portuguese"...
Money seems to be a fair issue, I don't know how much it costs to translate a game.

But, me, I'd feel more confortable playing in English than PT-BR (which may sound wierd, but it's true)...

Crocs with socks
Field Researcher
#21 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:45 PM
I don't know enough Portuguese to know how different the two types are, but American and UK English are very, very similar. The differences are mostly in slightly different spellings (of which there is normally only one difference), slang and colloquialisms (that are exchanged through American and English media being shared across the pond, so not so bad), and some pronunciation differences between dialects (which wouldn't factor into a text localization).

Hence why the PAL English option is often identical to the NA English localization in most games.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:46 PM
There is no British English in The Sims; it's only American English. The difference is small but noticeable, btw, different spelling and different words for several things.

What you see in the first pictures are two different settings: one for language and the other for your location. You can set the language to Danish but the location to Hungary, so when you connect to the Store, for example, it will go to the Hungarian Store because of your location settings.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#23 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Maybe "woohoo" is replaced with "shag."
And snog instead of smooch.
Test Subject
#24 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 8:54 PM

Oh right, sorry I didn't see the updated FAQ... my bad I just saw the different language options of the drop-down menu (look at the screenshot bellow) in The Sims website so I assumed they were the actual languages the game will feature. But anyway it's sad that The Sims 4 won't get the languages most of us would expect when playing The Sims 2 and The Sims 3

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 9:03 PM
I just realised this... OMG outro tuga!

Crocs with socks
Page 1 of 2