Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 7:12 PM
Has anyone ever set all winters on their game?
I wonder has anyone ever had a neighborhood set to all winters like Antarctica?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 7:44 PM
Lots! Look in the "Challenge" forum for "Apocalypse Challenge."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hogwarts
I wonder has anyone ever had a neighborhood set to all winters like Antarctica?

Yeah! Nothing really interesting happens. If you like it like that, go for it!

There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile;
He bought a crooked cat which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.
Alchemist
#4 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 7:59 PM
No .. I can't stand it
Forum Resident
#5 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 8:03 PM
I have before but only to do a sim story. In the end the arctic wind really got on my nerves and I put it back.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 8:20 PM
Nope. My game isn't all that fond of winters (I favor CC over snow that flashes purple on heavy lots), so I mostly have all weather turned off and seasons on perma spring or summer. Unless I need weather for a photoshoot, that is.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 8:58 PM
No, and I won't. I love all seasons, and I love seeing my Sims enjoy the benefit of each one. Building a snowman with your sibling isn't special if you can do it every day.
#8 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 9:04 PM
This is definitely not something I would do in my game. I love all of the seasons and seeing how they differ from one another both in real life and in the game. The seasons in the game provide different benefits as well, like spring is for romance and fall for skill building. My Sims visit vacation places like Twikkii Island where it's summer all year long, and that's nice for their visit, but I could not play a game with only one season.
Scholar
#9 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 9:08 PM
No, but I do set my universities to fall, fall, fall, fall. Good for learning fast.

I still can't believe EA didn't make ice fishing an option for winter. Any idea where to find a mod for this or other winter related things is appreciated.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Inventor
#10 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 9:09 PM
Do vacation neighborhoods count? Because that's what Hoar Mountain (my custom Mountain vacation subhood) is: all Winter, all the time. Every now and then, the local temperature gets warm enough to where the lakes thaw and Sims can fish. But usually, everything's frozen solid. It makes you wish that Seasons had thought to add skiing, tobogganing and skating on frozen lakes, doesn't it?

Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
This is definitely not something I would do in my game. I love all of the seasons and seeing how they differ from one another both in real life and in the game. The seasons in the game provide different benefits as well, like spring is for romance and fall for skill building.

...and Winter is for building family relationships, yes. My Simmy families do tend to come home from Hoar Mountain with some stronger familial bondings. Siblings are fighting again? Send them to Hoar Mountain! They'll be fine.

Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg
No, but I do set my universities to fall, fall, fall, fall. Good for learning fast.

Hmmmm...not a bad idea, actually. Not bad at all.

*adds that to the To Do List*

I still can't believe EA didn't make ice fishing an option for winter. Any idea where to find a mod for this or other winter related things is appreciated.

I'll second that notion. Ice fishing, please.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 9:36 PM
Only for challenges. One of my apocalypse families were too poor for ages to afford a proper shelter so they had to huddle around a single heater. It definitely adds a fun dimension but I don't think I could do it long term. It gets too annoying - the constant sound of the wind and looking at all of the snow.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 9:43 PM
I can't stand having eternal Winter. This isn't the Chronicles of Narnia! I like the sunshine IRL, and so should my Sims.
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
Do vacation neighborhoods count? Because that's what Hoar Mountain (my custom Mountain vacation subhood) is: all Winter, all the time. Every now and then, the local temperature gets warm enough to where the lakes thaw and Sims can fish. But usually, everything's frozen solid. It makes you wish that Seasons had thought to add skiing, tobogganing and skating on frozen lakes, doesn't it?

Yup, 'Cuz it's always winter in the mountains. Says me, sitting at 8500 feet where it's currently 85 degrees but ONLY because a (unfortunately dry) storm just went through. before that, it was 92. Bleagh! Well, at least there's no humidity.

No seriously, what do y'all think us mountain folk have to put up with? Oh and BTW: We don't wear plaid, either. That's for Canadians . I am hoping to start a chest-pounding trend, however...

Anyway, count me in amongst the I-want-all-four-seasons crowd. Although I confess that I will tend to make a temporary tropical-beach neighborhood during the (long) winters here and play it to warm myself up when it's -25 (WITHOUT wind chill) outside.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#14 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Yup, 'Cuz it's always winter in the mountains. Says me, sitting at 8500 feet where it's currently 85 degrees but ONLY because a (unfortunately dry) storm just went through. before that, it was 92. Bleagh! Well, at least there's no humidity.

No seriously, what do y'all think us mountain folk have to put up with? Oh and BTW: We don't wear plaid, either. That's for Canadians . I am hoping to start a chest-pounding trend, however...

Anyway, count me in amongst the I-want-all-four-seasons crowd. Although I confess that I will tend to make a temporary tropical-beach neighborhood during the (long) winters here and play it to warm myself up when it's -25 (WITHOUT wind chill) outside.

I am at 4300 feet with over a 100 F. It helps a tiny bit when I see my simmies cold.

Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:24 PM
I am at 4300 feet with over a 100 F. It helps a tiny bit when I see my simmies cold.

And you had invading desert spiders and root borers mating in a mesquite bush the other day, didn't you? So YOU must be in the Southwest. I'mma guess Arizona WHERE ALL THE COOL BUGS ARE. *waves from up in SW Colorado* (Sorry, it kind of sticks in my mind when I terrorize people with bug posts. Because I'm cruel that way. )

But yeah, I agree, when it's hot I crank up the winter on my pixels. Until relatively recently I was stuck in SoCal, where it was, to me, ungodly hot for winter/spring, so I enjoyed playing my hoods when they were in winter. I still wouldn't want it to always be one season, though. I poke around at TS3 on occasion and only got the Seasons EP for it the other day, so I was reminded of how boring a one-season game is, no matter what season you pick to be the One.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Theorist
#16 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
I can't stand having eternal Winter. This isn't the Chronicles of Narnia! I like the sunshine IRL, and so should my Sims.

Agreed. Besides, the summer vacation mod I use for the Sim kiddies would be rather pointless as well.

I love winter, but in small doses.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#17 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:28 PM
And you had invading desert spiders and root borers mating in a mesquite bush the other day, didn't you? So YOU must be in the Southwest. I'mma guess Arizona WHERE ALL THE COOL BUGS ARE. *waves from up in SW Colorado* (Sorry, it kind of sticks in my mind when I terrorize people with bug posts. Because I'm cruel that way. )

But yeah, I agree, when it's hot I crank up the winter on my pixels. Until relatively recently I was stuck in SoCal, where it was, to me, ungodly hot for winter/spring, so I enjoyed playing my hoods when they were in winter. I still wouldn't want it to always be one season, though. I poke around at TS3 on occasion and only got the Seasons EP for it the other day, so I was reminded of how boring a one-season game is, no matter what season you pick to be the One.

Nope! I am in Strangetown, not Arizona.

Undead Molten Llama
#18 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:31 PM
Dear, Arizona IS Strangetown. No wait...Never mind, that's New Mexico. Which also has cool bugs. I can practically SPIT into New Mexico, but we still don't get the cool bugs.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:38 PM
Hey iCad--thanks for sending the cold front on our way!

Eternal winter is a requirement for the Apocalypse Challenge, and there are some interesting things that happen when it is always winter: Townies freezing solid on the sidewalk, for example. You do get more family wants and of course the constant make snow angel, have snowball fights, build snowmen wants. Since Apocalypse families pretty much have to get along or(and?) die, it's nice that even the grumpiest romance sims roll the talk to relative now and then.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Hey iCad--thanks for sending the cold front on our way!

Eternal winter is a requirement for the Apocalypse Challenge, and there are some interesting things that happen when it is always winter: Townies freezing solid on the sidewalk, for example. You do get more family wants and of course the constant make snow angel, have snowball fights, build snowmen wants. Since Apocalypse families pretty much have to get along or(and?) die, it's nice that even the grumpiest romance sims roll the talk to relative now and then.

Well, I huffed and I puffed and...yer welcome! Of course, now Kansas is gonna have tornadoes, and I'm going to feel all guilty.

I'm curious, though: I've never played an Apox. What's the reasoning for "all winter all the time?" Is it supposed to be a nuclear winter or some-such? Or just to make it harder to grow stuff. Or both? I dunno, it's just that when I envision a post-apocalyptic town, I think hot and deserty, not cold. It's probably a steady diet of too many Mad Max movies in the 80s...

Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:18 AM
It's nuclear winter, yeah. You could do a desert variant, but you'd need a mod to stop the summer rainstorms. I have Strangetown set to Summer/Summer/Summer/Winter, as the closest thing to a true desert climate, and it rains all the dang time. But I don't play Strangetown consistently enough to put in the mod to change it.

I have LFT set to the same schedule, but ALT, attached to Widespot, is Fall/Spring/Fall/Spring. Because the mating dance is just as important to college students as grades.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:20 AM
Nuclear Winter--but specifically that you have to have shelter for your sims. You also can't allow non-friend sims inside your house, and you can only use the phone for certain hours one day a week, so you have to be really careful about maintaining friendships or you run the risk of your townies freezing to death, and you can't move graves. You can't grow stuff--ground is poisoned. You need to read the rules, one set or another, you'll probably roll your eyes and then start building bunkers! Each career your sims top gives you more gameplay options--so you have to make hard choices--do I take this pretty-much-worthless-at-this-point career or do I see if there's a better option tomorrow--since you can only take the first career in the paper to start out.

It's July, baby's due in September, please to keep the cold air a-coming!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:45 AM
@Peni: Yeah, someone needs to create some sort of mod to make an actual desert climate. If set to Summer it rains far too much. I guess people do "Summer" for "hot," but I live in the high (very near) desert, where it is actually cold for much of the year. (The last snow here this season was May 27th, and it'll start snowing again in early October.). So, someone needs to make a hot but very dry summer, a cool and snowy fall, and a very cold but relatively dry winter. And then to simulate MY climate, I'd set it to F/W/W/Su. (We have no spring here; it pretty much morphs right from winter to summer. Fall lasts for a couple of weeks in mid/late September when the aspens are all pretty...and then the cold and snow set in, lasting until May again.)

And I guess I go against the grain: In my Uni neighborhoods, I avoid fall to make it harder.

@Sunbee: I didn't know you were pregnant again! Congrats! Ugh, summer pregnancies are the worst! My firstborn was born in September and I lived in New York City at the time and my apartment didn't have air conditioning and...Ugh, I seriously thought I was going to die. I spent a lot of time visiting museums and such, simply because THEY were ACed. Alas, I couldn't sleep there, though. *sigh* So, I'll keep the cool coming as best I can.

As for apoxes...I read the rules long ago and thought it sounded like fun. It was complex enough to pique my interest. But I never started one. So maybe when next I get the urge for the new 'hood....I think I might want to try a hot desert variant, though. Heat can be just as killer as cold in the game. You'd still need shelter to avoid exposure...

Scholar
#24 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:48 AM
I do it all the time, but I grew up in Florida so snow and outerwear are still a novelty for me.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:53 AM

Speak for yourself, iCad! While I can't say I myself am party to this trend, Flagstaff locals embrace the plaid-flannel-wearing stereotype of a mountain town! (except when it's like 90 degrees out, which it is most of the time lately... cough)

Might help that the uni mascot here is a Lumberjack, I suppose...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Page 1 of 3