Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Improved Lighting and Shadows for ENB Generic 0.76

by Fly666monkey Posted 25th Nov 2014 at 6:50 AM - Updated 5th Dec 2014 at 9:33 PM by Fly666monkey

57 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 36 Feedback Posts, 20 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 9:17 AM
My Skyrim And GTA 4 look amazing with ENB and now my sims 3 game can too!! Soooo Excited to try this out!! :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 9:42 AM Last edited by Blackcatluna : 25th Nov 2014 at 9:58 AM.
Reminds me of Gunmod's Radiance Light System for the Sims 2, it looks amazing!! Thanks a lot for this mod! :D
mature minion
retired moderator THANKS POST
#4 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 5:00 PM
Looks incredible, shame the in game screenshot mechanism doesn't capture it but I still love this mod. Thanks so much for this
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 10:00 PM
Oh wow, this is great! Thank you so much!
Scholar
#6 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 1:00 AM
Not sure how this is suppose to work. I've extracted the files as directed (in the Game/Bin folder). Is it enabled at startup because I can't see any difference. I use the SHIFT+F12 code then the game turns all cloudy and white. Does that mean the mod is on or off? Because if its on and all white then what do I need to adjust in enbseries.ini to tone that down? If it starts up off/disabled, then your instructions say otherwise. Can you make clear the instructions on how to adjust this mod please, because I really want to use this mod Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 4:30 AM Last edited by mspoodle1 : 26th Nov 2014 at 12:38 PM.
I am having the same issue with the everything turning white when shift+F12 is activated. If you could go into further detail on what to change in the .ini file it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I did get it to work when the game is launched from the ts3.exe, but I use CCmagic and apparently it does not work with it. It's a shame because it looks really good in game when it works. And btw I have a gtx 780 and a legit game with all expansions and stuff packs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 4:40 AM Last edited by Fly666monkey : 26th Nov 2014 at 4:55 AM.
Hmmm, all white? Are you running without the launcher? What graphics card are you using (If it doesn't support 3.0 shaders, it will not work.)? Do you have steam overlay turned on? I've never run into this issue myself with the current setup, though if you changed the settings at all that would definitely cause this issue. Some of the settings I left off because they caused graphical glitches.

Also, you can tell if the ENB is installed properly if you see green text in the upper left corner of your screen when you start the game. It should start turned on.

EDIT: I did a quick search on this issue, and it seems the number 1 cause of white screens with ENB generic are outdated drivers, followed by lack of graphical power. Try updating your drivers, skipping the launcher using Awesomemod or Nraas' no-cd patch, and disable the steam overlay. (Go to steam, click on "settings," and uncheck "Enable steam community in-game.") I have no experience with origin, so I have no idea what to do there.

And, as should go without saying, if you're using a cracked version of the game, all sorts of glitches could occur, and I cannot help you there.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 5:22 AM
Is there any way to work around the appearance of dangerous levels of pollution/fog? The whole scene appears to have a fog or gamma correction issue. =)

(Generally speaking, from a purely realistic standpoint, I've usually found ENBSeries to actively detract from the appearance of most titles -- its only saving grace in e.g., Skyrim is that it tends to offer more features that the game itself doesn't offer, like cloud shadows. I was actively revolted by the ENBSeries for Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, which made everything into a dark and blurry PPAA mess, with what appeared to be occasional shaders thrown in more as an afterthought. =))
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 7:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JT`
Is there any way to work around the appearance of dangerous levels of pollution/fog? The whole scene appears to have a fog or gamma correction issue. =)

(Generally speaking, from a purely realistic standpoint, I've usually found ENBSeries to actively detract from the appearance of most titles -- its only saving grace in e.g., Skyrim is that it tends to offer more features that the game itself doesn't offer, like cloud shadows. I was actively revolted by the ENBSeries for Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, which made everything into a dark and blurry PPAA mess, with what appeared to be occasional shaders thrown in more as an afterthought. =))

You are free to edit the ENB to suit your tastes, or use mine as a base for your own ENB upload (So long as you give credit! ). Just be careful turning on any settings I have disabled, most of them glitched my game in hilarious ways.

You could try disabling the palette, by going into [COLORCORRECTION] in the ini file and changing UsePaletteTexture=1 to UsePaletteTexture=0. Leaving the other settings alone, this will give the game a more "cartoony" feel. Or oversaturated, depending on your point of view.You could also try disabling the bloom ( [EFFECT] EnableBloom=0)
Scholar
#11 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 11:25 AM Last edited by desiree101 : 26th Nov 2014 at 11:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Fly666monkey
Hmmm, all white? Are you running without the launcher? What graphics card are you using (If it doesn't support 3.0 shaders, it will not work.)? Do you have steam overlay turned on? I've never run into this issue myself with the current setup, though if you changed the settings at all that would definitely cause this issue. Some of the settings I left off because they caused graphical glitches.

Also, you can tell if the ENB is installed properly if you see green text in the upper left corner of your screen when you start the game. It should start turned on.

EDIT: I did a quick search on this issue, and it seems the number 1 cause of white screens with ENB generic are outdated drivers, followed by lack of graphical power. Try updating your drivers, skipping the launcher using Awesomemod or Nraas' no-cd patch, and disable the steam overlay. (Go to steam, click on "settings," and uncheck "Enable steam community in-game.") I have no experience with origin, so I have no idea what to do there.

And, as should go without saying, if you're using a cracked version of the game, all sorts of glitches could occur, and I cannot help you there.

The questions you ask are pretty basic stuff which I'm sure I'm sure long-time players of Sims 3 would know about, and if we are looking at a mod like this I can assume we are all advanced players lol

So to answer your questions:
Yes, I'm running the game without a launcher (always have)
My graphics card is Nvidia 770 with the latest drivers (definetly supports 3.0 shaders!)
No steam, therefore, no steam overlay,
I have not changed any settings within the game or the .ini file.
My game is paid for and legal! (but even if it wasn't, whatever help you give here is going to be seen by everyone; with a cracked game or not, right?)
Green text in upper left corner of screen - yes, its there.

I assume the mod is installed correctly but since you didn't really make clear how the mod is meant to be installed (the .txt file in the folder is not particularly specific) I had to try both folders, the game/bin and root folder to see if any made a difference. The Game/bin install seems to be the one for Sims 3 as it's the only one that shows the white cloudiness in the game. The root folder install shows nothing.

As some people do not have this problem, including you, perhaps they can share their knowledge, and also if you can make clearer instructions on how to install the mod, what files to adjust, maybe telling us how you incorporate it in YOUR game (what folder etc). I don't think we are doing anything drastically different in our games, or ar least I'm not!

Edit - okay, I think its working now, strangely enough lol.
Yesterday after I installed it, and the cloudiness appeared, I took it out completely, then restarted the game. The game crashed. The crash analyzer said it was DEP issues, so I redid the whole disabling DEP on TS3.exe. TS3W.exe, Sims3Launcher.exe and all the expansions and stuff packs, restarted PC, reinstalled the ENB mod and now it works! No white/foggy/cloudiness.
Not sure what that was all about but hopefully this info might help someone else
Instructor
#12 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 5:48 PM
oooh I think I'm gonna try it, Will edit to say my results . Thanks for that solution to try Desiree.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by desiree101
The questions you ask are pretty basic stuff which I'm sure I'm sure long-time players of Sims 3 would know about, and if we are looking at a mod like this I can assume we are all advanced players lol

So to answer your questions:
Yes, I'm running the game without a launcher (always have)
My graphics card is Nvidia 770 with the latest drivers (definetly supports 3.0 shaders!)
No steam, therefore, no steam overlay,
I have not changed any settings within the game or the .ini file.
My game is paid for and legal! (but even if it wasn't, whatever help you give here is going to be seen by everyone; with a cracked game or not, right?)
Green text in upper left corner of screen - yes, its there.

I assume the mod is installed correctly but since you didn't really make clear how the mod is meant to be installed (the .txt file in the folder is not particularly specific) I had to try both folders, the game/bin and root folder to see if any made a difference. The Game/bin install seems to be the one for Sims 3 as it's the only one that shows the white cloudiness in the game. The root folder install shows nothing.

As some people do not have this problem, including you, perhaps they can share their knowledge, and also if you can make clearer instructions on how to install the mod, what files to adjust, maybe telling us how you incorporate it in YOUR game (what folder etc). I don't think we are doing anything drastically different in our games, or ar least I'm not!

Edit - okay, I think its working now, strangely enough lol.
Yesterday after I installed it, and the cloudiness appeared, I took it out completely, then restarted the game. The game crashed. The crash analyzer said it was DEP issues, so I redid the whole disabling DEP on TS3.exe. TS3W.exe, Sims3Launcher.exe and all the expansions and stuff packs, restarted PC, reinstalled the ENB mod and now it works! No white/foggy/cloudiness.
Not sure what that was all about but hopefully this info might help someone else

Glad you could get it to work! I'm not sure what you need me to clear up with the install instructions, it should be drag and drop as stated.

It never crossed my mind that DEP would cause issues with ENB. I've NEVER heard of that issue before... then again this is probably the first ENB out there for The Sims 3, and given the game's history with that particular issue it makes sense in hindsight. I'll be adding that the main page's FAQ.
Scholar
#14 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 4:02 AM
Glad you could get it to work! I'm not sure what you need me to clear up with the install instructions, it should be drag and drop as stated.

It never crossed my mind that DEP would cause issues with ENB. I've NEVER heard of that issue before... then again this is probably the first ENB out there for The Sims 3, and given the game's history with that particular issue it makes sense in hindsight. I'll be adding that the main page's FAQ.

I was referring to the text file that was in the folder which mentions different folders the mod could be installed in but that's for other games I guess.
But anyway its all good, it works: still trying to configure it to my liking.
Oh and also, another simmer who posted here, mspoodle1, pointed out on her Tumblr that if you launch your game with CCMAGIC you get the white cloud too and the mod sort of disabling itself. Good info if you are a CCM user. I sometimes use it to merge packages and make collections and you have to launch the game with CCM at least once after adding and merging new mods or cc for them to take. So yeah I did get the white cloud using it. Big thanks and credit to mspoodle1 for that piece of info as I now know what to sort out regarding launching my game
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 6:36 AM
Noted, I'll add that to the FAQ as well. I can only do so much testing on my own, so any bug reports are a huge boon! Shame that it doesn't work with CCMAGIC, but if the two conflict there's nothing I can do to change that.

The readme and license inside the ENB are documentation left by Boris himself. I have to include those for legal reasons.
Test Subject
#16 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 5:37 PM
i went to the folder that's supposed to have a folder for the sims 3, but i only saw folders for the expansions, what folder do i need to put this in?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kixleart
i went to the folder that's supposed to have a folder for the sims 3, but i only saw folders for the expansions, what folder do i need to put this in?

The folder that has TS3W.exe. Should be where you installed the base game. If you have it installed in an unusual location, you can easily find it by right clicking on the game's shortcut and selecting "Open File Location."
Test Subject
#18 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 8:05 PM
The folder that has TS3W.exe. Should be where you installed the base game. If you have it installed in an unusual location, you can easily find it by right clicking on the game's shortcut and selecting "Open File Location."

i just did that with my shortcut to the base game, and all it did was take me to the Games folder, which brought me no closer to finding the Bin folder i'm supposed to be putting this in.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kixleart
i just did that with my shortcut to the base game, and all it did was take me to the Games folder, which brought me no closer to finding the Bin folder i'm supposed to be putting this in.

Maybe you installed TS3W.exe somewhere else?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#20 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 9:27 PM
Loved ENB in my Skyrim, and thanks for bringing it the sims. This is going to need a bit of tweaking to get it looking good, as all the colours are currently washed out. I've never been good at tweaking ENB settings, so does anyone have some suggested settings?
Test Subject
#21 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 11:51 PM
Do you know guys If my graphic card allow 3.0 shaders ?
It's the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Because I have tried everything and I have still a white screen :/
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 5:01 AM
Can I run this with AMD E-450 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.65 GHz and 6 GB of RAM? Also, I have only 3 expansions and 2 Stuff packs instaled and like 6 or 7 GB of Custom Content
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 12:46 PM
Will this work with a lighting mod that adjusts the ini to specific files or am I going to have to pick and chose?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 7:40 PM
Still having a white screen June? That's the exact card I have. Not sure what to tell you if you're still having issues.

Boy_Wonder, I myself have a lighting mod installed. It should work fine.
Test Subject
#25 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 11:59 PM
Maybe you installed TS3W.exe somewhere else?

i've looked everywhere i can think of, and have found nothing, so i have no idea were to look.
Page 1 of 3