Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#2276 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Teostar
so as long as there are simple-minded delusional fans like that, who ignore actual gameplay features and just look at the facade (aesthetics) and who would happily shell out their money for even the crappiest and emptiest of packs, then that is quite enough for EA, they'll continue releasing mediocre content, because at the end of the day $$$ is all that matters to them.

Isn't it an accurate representation of modern society? Young people nowadays (not all but a huge portion) only care about instant instant gratification, superfluous fluff and a nice-looking façades. Sadly a believe this iteration of The Sims, as well as the gaming industry as a whole, is nothing but the of the decay in society when it comes to hard-work, commitment, dedication and self-esteem. I'm only 25, and I feel like a grumpy old man saying this, but it's what I've observed thorugh my studies in sociology. I just feel we can't blame developers of companies of the decay in their products if people are still willing to buy them. And it seems that all it takes to buy a game is the fact that it's new, some pretty graphics/backgrounds, or even peer pressure.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2277 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 6:45 PM
I think his review is spot on as always. I am playing 4 again thanks to this pack, but as he says, once I have collected all and done all the newness will be gone and I will head back to 3. I liked WA so this is a theme I like.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2278 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 6:52 PM
I too am dismayed at people who shell out $20 for the most minuscule of gameplay additions. Dance moves? Really? That’s what the game was missing for you?

Heaven forbid EA actually added in dance moves to match the actual music playing, and I might get excited about some hip girating, but as it stands, I don’t quite care for it simply being there to be there.

Where were cultural skills in City Living? They were big on culture there. So, now we have ONE culture skill. Looks weird.

As for now, I had a Sim die while on adventure because a Sim wouldn’t put themselves out after I told them to repeatedly, even after trying to cancel the panic reaction, and their spouse could not have been in a better mood after playing. It is almost like the Sim was single the whole time, even with a DEAD SPOUCE in their relationship panel. As long as people are okay with these less then stellar products, more power to all of them.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#2279 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 8:28 PM
I will never understand why people feel the need to insult those shelling out money to buy something they enjoy. Obviously this game has many fans. There is always room for improvement but the bitterness is real on this forum as some hurl insults at the audacity that people spend money on Sims 4 DLC that THEY WANT TO BUY. Oh the horror! I have been there since the first iteration and there are positives/negatives of every single game but I never would pontificate about what people do with their wallets as though it were a political issue! However, this is a forum for discussion. Carry on!
Mad Poster
#2280 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
As for now, I had a Sim die while on adventure because a Sim wouldn’t put themselves out after I told them to repeatedly, even after trying to cancel the panic reaction, and their spouse could not have been in a better mood after playing. It is almost like the Sim was single the whole time, even with a DEAD SPOUCE in their relationship panel. As long as people are okay with these less then stellar products, more power to all of them.

That is one thing I really wish they'd fix in TS4. How easy it is for sims to get over the death of loved ones. Sure they get a moodlet that'll last a little while (sometimes, anyway. I had two who didn't even get that, just because they happened to be asleep when their daughter died. Her brothers were awake and got the "death of a loved one" moodlet. But not the parents.) but even that is ridiculously easy to override with just one or two positive moodlets. Meanwhile, in the previous two games, the death of a family member can affect a sim for a LONG time. Regardless of their needs or other moodlets. Hell, I've had sims in TS2 who still occasionally cried over deaths that happened two life stages ago.

The amount of time TS4 spent fleshing out emotions was a good idea, in theory. But in doing so, they seemed to have dumbed down emotions, taking away a lot of what made them more complex and realistic in past games. The sheer fact that you get over most negative emotions by simply walking into a different room and eating a good meal is just so ludicrous, I can't believe they actually thought it was a good idea.

The Receptacle still lives!
Top Secret Researcher
#2281 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 9:16 PM Last edited by emino : 2nd Mar 2018 at 10:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by alan650
I will never understand why people feel the need to insult those shelling out money to buy something they enjoy. Obviously this game has many fans. There is always room for improvement but the bitterness is real on this forum as some hurl insults at the audacity that people spend money on Sims 4 DLC that THEY WANT TO BUY. Oh the horror! I have been there since the first iteration and there are positives/negatives of every single game but I never would pontificate about what people do with their wallets as though it were a political issue! However, this is a forum for discussion. Carry on!

Yeah, this. If you dont think its worth that amount, dont buy it or wait for a sale. Don't berate or make fun of others who do.

Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
That is one thing I really wish they'd fix in TS4. How easy it is for sims to get over the death of loved ones. Sure they get a moodlet that'll last a little while (sometimes, anyway. I had two who didn't even get that, just because they happened to be asleep when their daughter died. Her brothers were awake and got the "death of a loved one" moodlet. But not the parents.) but even that is ridiculously easy to override with just one or two positive moodlets. Meanwhile, in the previous two games, the death of a family member can affect a sim for a LONG time. Regardless of their needs or other moodlets. Hell, I've had sims in TS2 who still occasionally cried over deaths that happened two life stages ago.

I honestly think my sims are way more sad when their dog run away lol.
Lab Assistant
#2282 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 10:42 PM
Can someone talk about how LGR said Cats and Dogs is the highest grossing DLC?! Is that for all the Sims games?! (Sorry I originally said pets because I am so used to calling every Sims game expansion pets)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2283 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 11:05 PM
My lord...

I insulted the product, not the consumer. Quote my post stating where I insulted anyone. Mind you, I buy things that are less than phenomenal from time to time. I bought the latest Thief game. Granted, it was $5, but it speaks of the quality of a game when I got it on sale and I want my money back. There are bad game's I've purchased and absolutely LOVED (I still enjoy the Angel Of Darkness, broken and all). I even enjoyed parts of RE6 (shhhh...).

You know what I don't do? Whine about people talking negatively about things I enjoy. Don't like people saying bad things about the Sims 4? Ignore them. Play the game more. Show them things YOU enjoy about the game. Show them what makes YOU happy!

However, don't lie and say people attacked you when they (I) didn't.

Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2

The amount of time TS4 spent fleshing out emotions was a good idea, in theory. But in doing so, they seemed to have dumbed down emotions, taking away a lot of what made them more complex and realistic in past games. The sheer fact that you get over most negative emotions by simply walking into a different room and eating a good meal is just so ludicrous, I can't believe they actually thought it was a good idea.

I think the ability to have different things change a Sims mood is fine, but there are far too many. The tree they added that bears fruit that changes emotions is fine - like, when a sims ins't in a very good mood, but you need them to pep up for work to get a promotion - but it's not as special when it's one of 45 other things that do, too.

dodgy builder
#2284 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katxattack
Can someone talk about how LGR said Cats and Dogs is the highest grossing DLC?! Is that for all the Sims games?! (Sorry I originally said pets because I am so used to calling every Sims game expansion pets)

I heard it as well. It saddens me how people can run to a game they ditch everyday, the moment something they wanted arrives, and then keeps ditching it after testing it for the first time.

... but it says somethingg about the competition in this type of game I guess.
Inventor
#2286 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I heard it as well. It saddens me how people can run to a game they ditch everyday, the moment something they wanted arrives, and then keeps ditching it after testing it for the first time.

... but it says somethingg about the competition in this type of game I guess.

The way he phrased it was misleading, but the article says and I quote:
Quote:
EA revealed that in the last fiscal quarter which ended on December 31, 2017, The Sims 4 “delivered the highest-performing expansion pack to date during the quarter. This means that The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs expansion pack, which released in November 2017, is the biggest selling DLC expansion pack that EA has released for the game so far.”

It clearly states "for the game" not for the franchise/series, etc. But again, since they NEVER ever release actual numbers we can't know for sure. If we take into account how low the sales of the base game were compared to TS2 and TS3 base games (http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims) and if we also compare the estimates of other TS4 DLC sales (https://goo.gl/i3cxfv - Get Together is listed as the DLC with the highest sales, 330K) to TS3 DLC sales (https://goo.gl/UkpyrX - Late Night is at the top with 1.69 MILLION sales), we can calculate that a only up to a 20% of people who own the base game buy DLC, and if TS4 sales are 3.86 million that means that only 770K copies of the game could potentially be sold.

Like I said, since EA refuses to give updated numbers and just releases vague statements like the one in the article above, we cannot know for sure how well it did compared to EPs from previous games. But I believe that if at some point sales of TS4 or any DLC had surpassed previous entries, they will make it known for sure.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2287 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:43 AM
Based on those numbers, just over 20% of customers have purchased DLC for TS3, while less than 10% of customers have purchased TS4's DLC.

Please keep in mind, this is only based on the numbers above.

Lab Assistant
#2288 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Mind you, I buy things that are less than phenomenal from time to time. I bought the latest Thief game. Granted, it was $5, but it speaks of the quality of a game when I got it on sale and I want my money back. There are bad game's I've purchased and absolutely LOVED (I still enjoy the Angel Of Darkness, broken and all). I even enjoyed parts of RE6 (shhhh...)
I think the ability to have different things change a Sims mood is fine, but there are far too many. The tree they added that bears fruit that changes emotions is fine - like, when a sims ins't in a very good mood, but you need them to pep up for work to get a promotion - but it's not as special when it's one of 45 other things that do, too.

I am glad I am not the only person who remembers Angel of Darkness, as a child I remember thinking it was fantastic. Playing it as an adult I was absolutely amazed how bad it is, but there is something about it I'll always love too.

As for emotions in TS4, it is crazy how much can change them. It's frustrating because all sims start to feel the same after a while. They all flip and flop through an emotional roller coaster as if they are in constant menopause.

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

After doing some research I figured it had to be only about TS4's highest selling pack. But yes when LGR said that I was devastated.
No offense to anyone who thinks Cats & Dogs is the best thing since sliced bread, but come on, it's lacking just like all of TS4. Still really enjoying TS4 since I've gone back, but unfortunately you have to have practically every pack to REALLY have something to do, and even then it can be a bit tedious. Toddlers are fantastic though, I will say they are the best, the only thing TS4 did better and it only took 3(?) years.

Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
The way he phrased it was misleading, but the article

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2289 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:43 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 3rd Mar 2018 at 6:15 PM.
Pets, seasoms, and whatever pack has nightclubs are always the three money makers for the Sims, regardless of iteration.

Mad Poster
#2290 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 3:42 PM
I feel like over nightlife part could be something else: an university or an travelling pack.
Field Researcher
#2291 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 8:47 PM Last edited by Teostar : 13th Mar 2018 at 7:32 PM.
Someone over at tumblr spotted this...
Oh my fucking god...

Scholar
#2292 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 8:59 PM
Oh my fucking god...

-cough-another sign that sims 4 is the worst in the franchise-cough-

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Field Researcher
#2293 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 9:08 PM
Oh my fucking god...

oh my god

That’s... there are no words.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2294 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:20 PM
That’s not even the only thing in the pack the got from another pack. There are plant and sex/sleep/shit bush recolors.

Probably more. I stopped caring.

Mad Poster
#2295 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 11:22 AM
Checking in the official news, I found a "great" news:

*Drum*

Developers nerfed vampire breakthroughs, lol
Field Researcher
#2296 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:04 PM
Yup vampires are nerfed because people found it scary and they felt physically violated.

For fuck sake.

I love how the Gurus kept that quiet and didn’t t mention that in the patch notes.
Lab Assistant
#2297 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:07 PM
Jesus Christ, wasn't that why they gave Vampires their own pack? So the people who didn't want them didn't have to buy them? Why ruin it for the rest of us then?? If Vampires trigger you so goddamn much, don't fucking buy a pack called Vampires!!
Field Researcher
#2298 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:14 PM
The game is never going to get burglars is it?

Who the hell gets triggered by pixels breaking in and feeding off your sim? Dont they know its a game?
Forum Resident
#2299 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:38 PM
Wow, it took me quite a bit of searching to actually find something official. For anyone else curious - Here is a comment from SimGuruNinja. If you scroll down a bit you can see the next comment:
Quote:
Keep in mind that they were never really dangerous. You'd get bit, but they never turned your sim into a vamp. But even still, it still confused and scared a lot of players. Folks also really didn't like how you couldn't travel or save during this situation and there was no way to end it yourself. I understand that some players really enjoyed this aspect of the fiction so I apologize if it slightly waters down your experience. Hopefully it isn't a major deal breaker and there's still plenty of... bite... in this pack. :smiley:

Funnily enough I never ONCE had a break-in by a vampire since they released the pack. Not one single time. Guess I won't ever see this happen now.
Field Researcher
#2300 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
Well, we don't have enough sales data to analyze but google provides the google trends tool to measure the search interest over time.

link to google trends

Ummm you do realize that Sims 4 came out in 2014? This chart proves nothing about popularity of Sims 4 except you can see it rising at the end which signifies 2014 and onward.

Actually, here is a chart from the debut of the game 2014 onward:

September 2014 to Present Chart

Sims 4 clearly is most popular in its time life just as the other games were in their time life.
Page 92 of 185