Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#6726 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
The problem is too many people ruin a perfectly good critical thread by insering comments about gurus being lazy, developers being incompetent, and EA being rip-off merchants. All things guaranteed to get a thread killed. Concentrate on the game and not the providers of it, and it's usually safe.

People keep saying that but I hardly ever see someone calling devs lazy or incompentent. People indeed are highly critical and suspicious concerning EA's motives but is that not justified? In fact it wouldn't surprise me if devs have shared a lot of the fans' frustrations. I still think that's where Grant's "things change" may have come from.

Funny in this respect how the same people who accuse others of bringing down the team, often slate their previous work in the very same breath. As if Sims 3 created itself, without the help of any dev.

Earlier I said 'ignorance is bliss', the Sims 2 trailer shows what I mean by that. A lot of what I see in there was copied to Sims 3. That never bothered me because I had never played Sims 2, but I do understand now what people mean when they say Sims 3 disappointed them at times.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#6727 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
If y’all are out here buying stuff full price knowing you won’t like it beforehand, feel free to share the love ...with my wallet.

In 1,2,3 I rushed out on release day to buy the things I wanted to buy. If I get this EP I will wait until it is half off, and from the past pattern that will be within a few weeks if not sooner. I have gotten most of what I have in 4 on sale. There is not the excitement in this game to have the things immediately. I will watch the reviews and read here, then decide even if to get it. But I won't shell out full price for it, that I am pretty sure.
Mad Poster
#6728 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:38 PM
At least TS3 offered those day-events and festivals, which was a new treat for the franchise. Not sure whether these Create-your-own-holiday thing end up being as a failure or as a success.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Theorist
#6729 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:48 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 28th May 2018 at 3:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
People keep saying that but I hardly ever see someone calling devs lazy or incompentent. People indeed are highly critical and suspicious concerning EA's motives but is that not justified? In fact it wouldn't surprise me if devs have shared a lot of the fans' frustrations. I still think that's where Grant's "things change" may have come from.

Funny in this respect how the same people who accuse others of bringing down the team, often slate their previous work in the very same breath. As if Sims 3 created itself, without the help of any dev.

Earlier I said 'ignorance is bliss', the Sims 2 trailer shows what I mean by that. A lot of what I see in there was copied to Sims 3. That never bothered me because I had never played Sims 2, but I do understand now what people mean when they say Sims 3 disappointed them at times.

The trailer links were not meant to be directed at anybody. I'm just tired of looking at hacked up screenshots and green water in poorly edited TS3 pictures.

As for the rest of it...

Quote:
Graham Nardone @SimGuruGraham In our dev decisions, a group consensus is reached after thoughtful consideration. What we personally want doesn't dictate what we work on.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGraham/s...099304903581696

Quote:
Grant Rodiek @SimGuruGrant There may come a day when a Sims game doesn't have a desktop computer. Why? Technology evolves! It sorta blows my mind to think how quickly society and the world is evolving. I personally haven't had a landline telephone since 2001 in real life.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...789051196825602

Which is it, boys?

There are many reasons to be suspicious of EA. This is one of many....
Top Secret Researcher
#6730 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:48 PM
I don't think the developers are lazy. I think they aren't capable of doing much because of not getting enough development time on everything they'd want to do. And perhaps managing their priorities badly.. dunno the details. Also, EA doesn't fund them well like they used to?
Oh and I wouldn't Say EA is lazy either. Ea's always working very hard to come up with new ways to suck the money from the consumers
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6731 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:53 PM
Field Researcher
#6732 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
The trailer links were not meant to be directed at anybody. I'm just tired of looking at hacked up screenshots and green water in poorly edited TS3 pictures.

Didn't think they were, it just struck me on a personal level (I'd never seen the trailers and am hardly familiar with Sims 2's weather).
Instructor
#6733 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:10 PM
I've always wondered if having such a big team on 3 was a case of too many cooks spoil the broth? Nothing seemed to work together for me and it felt like there was too much imagination and a lack of coordination. I remember ranting on the OF several times at the base game. I try to start 3 up still but still have 47 pages of stuff needing installation everytime that don't appear in my downloads folder. I stopped really enjoying it after the second expansion WA, which I loved. I just liked the building and terrain tools. I loved the fights in Sims2, especially if my Sim caught the burglar and beat him up before the police arrived.
Grant needs to be tough with his teams to stop this uncoordination sort of stuff happening again and maybe a smaller team will be better. I hope anyway. I play 4 now because I enjoy it, am always optimistic (we got 64bit) and the gradual issue of packs suit my pocket. I got myself a gaming (Omen) laptop and am loving the ultra play. I'm an "elderly" player though so don't mind me - just carry on.
Theorist
#6734 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:15 PM
Didn't think they were, it just struck me on a personal level (I'd never seen the trailers and am hardly familiar with Sims 2's weather).

Okey dokey.
Mad Poster
#6735 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
I've always wondered if having such a big team on 3 was a case of too many cooks spoil the broth? Nothing seemed to work together for me and it felt like there was too much imagination and a lack of coordination. I remember ranting on the OF several times at the base game. I try to start 3 up still but still have 47 pages of stuff needing installation everytime that don't appear in my downloads folder. I stopped really enjoying it after the second expansion WA, which I loved. I just liked the building and terrain tools. I loved the fights in Sims2, especially if my Sim caught the burglar and beat him up before the police arrived.
Grant needs to be tough with his teams to stop this uncoordination sort of stuff happening again and maybe a smaller team will be better. I hope anyway. I play 4 now because I enjoy it, am always optimistic (we got 64bit) and the gradual issue of packs suit my pocket. I got myself a gaming (Omen) laptop and am loving the ultra play. I'm an "elderly" player though so don't mind me - just carry on.

Uh, playable sims can't beat up burglars unless they're a werewolf. Also, WA is the first expansion, unless you're referring to the order you installed it.

Too bad (doesn't seem like from the trailer) that sims can role skate outside of the rink. Would have been cool means of transportation.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6736 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:51 PM
People keep saying that but I hardly ever see someone calling devs lazy or incompentent. People indeed are highly critical and suspicious concerning EA's motives but is that not justified?

Well maybe you're reading different threads from me Though I guess people are gradually learning what gets threads killed. As for EA's motives, it goes without saying so why bother to say it, knowing it just risks getting the thread killed (if you're on their forum, that is). It never makes much sense to me to slag off a company on their very own website lol.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#6737 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:56 PM
Well maybe you're reading different threads from me Though I guess people are gradually learning what gets threads killed. As for EA's motives, it goes without saying so why bother to say it, knowing it just risks getting the thread killed (if you're on their forum, that is). It never makes much sense to me to slag off a company on their very own website lol.

What gets topics closed is people derailing it by changing the subject (whatever the subject is) into what simmers should or should not complain about. That's a frequent phenomenon because it apparently works.
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc

For me the many cooks system worked perfectly and though it was a mess at times (bugs and I think for some reason they figured they had to rush things at times when they shouldn't have rushed), nothing actually spoiled. As for Sims 4: the moment I start enjoying it is yet to come. I was hoping Jungle Adventures would do the trick but nope. After a few hours of fun it collapsed like a house of cards. Back to, indeed, WA.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6738 Old 28th May 2018 at 3:59 PM
Ah yes, bitching about each other will get a topic locked, I thought we were talking about what gets them actually deleted. which was brought up a few posts up.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#6739 Old 28th May 2018 at 4:04 PM
Ah yes, bitching about each other will get a topic locked, I thought we were talking about what gets them actually deleted. which was brought up a few posts up.

Sometimes topics are locked just because they figure 'everything has been said'. I can't really follow it at times tbh
Instructor
#6741 Old 28th May 2018 at 4:21 PM
I see this mentioning of snow causing lag in Sims 3 as if it’s a given, but snow has never had any effect in my game in that respect. Where does this theory come from?

jackjack. Need I say more?

I hesitate to give her full credit though because as I said, let's be real: every. single. time. the Sims 4 is lacking a feature, the go-to defense is "oh they left it out cause it caused lag, thanks Sims team!!"
Top Secret Researcher
#6742 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:06 PM Last edited by SusannaG : 28th May 2018 at 5:20 PM.
Which in Sims 3’s case is nonsense (don’t know about Sims 2, only know that game had the cutest babies in the franchise) because you can always track down a baby by double clicking. Apart from the fact sims in the game will always be triggered to put a baby into their bassinet, as long as you make sure there is one. They could implement this mechanism.

That works in Sims 3, but did not in Sims 2; babies in Sims 2 are not selectable.

ETA: There are mods in Sims 2 to allow people other than cops and werewolves to fight burglars. In Sims 3, people with the "brave" trait may fight them, and there are probably mods to allow others to do so.
Field Researcher
#6743 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
jackjack. Need I say more?

I hesitate to give her full credit though because as I said, let's be real: every. single. time. the Sims 4 is lacking a feature, the go-to defense is "oh they left it out cause it caused lag, thanks Sims team!!"

Yes, 'lag' is used like a magic wand that will explain everything away :P
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
That works in Sims 3, but did not in Sims 2; babies in Sims 2 are not selectable.

I know, that's why I said "in Sims 3's case" Can't lose babies in Sims 4 though :D
Mad Poster
#6744 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:18 PM Last edited by daisylee : 28th May 2018 at 6:19 PM.
I toy with harsher methods of telling someone they're wrong precisely because I wanna see if perhaps that moment lingers in their mind longer and becomes harder to forget. I also sometimes wonder if "agree to disagree but thanks for being respectful " convos don't provide a setting where it's easier for people to walk away thinking their shitty, unsupported opinion is "just my opinion " without having put any critical thought into their shitty opinion or having realized any of the flaws that were just pointed out to them during that super respectful discussion.

I like this site. I like the people on it. But this is a prime example of why this site drives people away. What you think is your opinion and that is it. Calling everyone else wrong who does not think like you just alienates folks rather than convinces them of anything. Insulting everyone that they do not think and you are the only one that does solves nothing. I am sure I will get some disagrees, but I think many folks here are tired of the nonstop bashing of folks who do not agree with them.
Mad Poster
#6745 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:25 PM
Speaking personally? I'm a stubborn idiot and sometimes I speak with more hostility because I want people to remember it and I want it to be a hard pill to swallow. It's not to be a dick, but because the hard pills to swallow are more memorable and less likely to disappear from one's mind; that person might remember what that jackass said when evidence pops up that overwhelmingly supports what the jackass was ranting about. In that regard, sometimes I toy with harsher methods of telling someone they're wrong precisely because I wanna see if perhaps that moment lingers in their mind longer and becomes harder to forget. I also sometimes wonder if "agree to disagree but thanks for being respectful " convos don't provide a setting where it's easier for people to walk away thinking their shitty, unsupported opinion is "just my opinion " without having put any critical thought into their shitty opinion or having realized any of the flaws that were just pointed out to them during that super respectful discussion. Sometimes I question what's better if you wanna get a point across: minding how respectful you are during the discussion or simply being harsh about it when you feel there's zero argument to be made in defense of something. (go to hell, pre-orders) Unsure, but damn right I experiment with both at times. (and sadly, I've yet to see a huge difference)

Preach that. Not sure If I approve the hostility thing, but arguing with someone does really have that person in defense after a while get a moment to stop and think "Should I maybe consider listening to that person or/and open my mind what (s)he said". Heck, maybe even you get the moment to think about that other person (words) who joined in on the debate podium of the topic. Opening a critical skeptical remark does spark an influence for that huge mass of die hards to rethink whether they really should preorder and that act of preordering is/was really worth it. Who knows, maybe you might save someone's money before they regret it.

Mad Poster
#6746 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Preach that. Not sure If I approve the hostility thing, but arguing with someone does really have that person in defense after a while get a moment to stop and think "Should I maybe consider listening to that person or/and open my mind what (s)he said". Heck, maybe even you get the moment to think about that other person (words) who joined in on the debate podium of the topic.

In most cases, no. People skills do not work that way generally. People just get irritated and move on in most cases. Alienating people with hostility hardly ever accomplishes anything. Some folks thrive on battles, but most do not.
Field Researcher
#6747 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:36 PM
Off Topic for a second....

Was watching a review for City Skylines new DLC pack this morning, when this popped up on Youtube....

I totally thought this was real at first.... and then the ending with the photo of teens...I realized not an EA thing....But very funny

https://youtu.be/8HC3WGazHIk
Screenshots
Theorist
#6748 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Preach that. Not sure If I approve the hostility thing, but arguing with someone does really have that person in defense after a while get a moment to stop and think "Should I maybe consider listening to that person or/and open my mind what (s)he said". Heck, maybe even you get the moment to think about that other person (words) who joined in on the debate podium of the topic. Opening a critical skeptical remark does spark an influence for that huge mass of die hards to rethink whether they really should preorder and that act of preordering is/was really worth it. Who knows, maybe you might save someone's money before they regret it.

Good luck with that.

Making somebody defensive doesn't mean you win anything other than making the person defensive. If that is the sole purpose, the only thoughts you will get out of the person is more defensiveness. If this somehow equals accomplishment to some, okay.

As far as the sims community goes, we all know the catch phrases that are equal to 'shut up'. They're said so often that it is impossible for a person to not know what all them mean. Those people don't win anything either by the way. See my first sentence.
Lab Assistant
#6749 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
Thank you. You said what I would have liked to have said, but didn't want to deal with the resulting drama. I get mad at EA as much as the next person, but for me, I like Sims 4 - faults and all. That doesn't make me stupid, a bad person, or anything remotely like that. It's just my personal choice.

That said, I'm still super excited for Seasons, and I could care less about snow depth, and I'm amazed (though I shouldn't be) that even though we've only seen a very short trailer, so many people have zeroed in on that one thing. And it would seem most of those people don't even seem to play Sims 4, so why even care, I don't know. I can understand passion for this franchise, but direct your anger at EA not at each other (especially when the people being discussed don't even post here) or better yet, go play the version of the Sims you most enjoy. Life is so short, so why spend so much time going over the same things again and again?

Feel free to tear me to shreds, because I could care less.

What we see and what we notice are two very different things. Starting with Sims 1 we had modders who got mad at the player base for buying the first expansion ever for the Sims. They ripped into players for ruining a good game and letting Maxis know that they could "rip off" players. Maken Magic was a shit storm of player on player hate and with those that wanted that expansion had hate thrown at them and the added goodness that we would burn in hell. Sims 2 with the first expansion had a world wide anger at EA and players who like it. The term sheep came in fashion during Sims 2 and Sims sites where made to deal with the hate for players who liked Sims 2 and Maxis EA. So on and so forth. The hate for players have been around for ever. They are very small part of the base. To put everyone in one box is silly.

Some of us are hugely disappointed with the Sims 4. That disappointment has nothing to do with you. Sims 4 is okay, it should have been great. My daughter bought Sims 4. My grandson thought it was boring, no horses and no cars to drive. I bought his the Dogs and Cats and he hated it. When staying at his house I played it and was sad at how empty it felt. It was not bad it just was not good. I was hoping that Sims 5 would go back to being great. To find it is a phone game broke my heart. That heart break has not one thing to do with you. What EA has done the few years with loot boxes and pay to play is bad. No other word for it. That is for EA not the ones buying it. Wrong is wrong.
Mad Poster
#6750 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DDOAndora
When staying at his house I played it and was sad at how empty it felt. It was not bad it just was not good. I was hoping that Sims 5 would go back to being great. To find it is a phone game broke my heart.

I think many of us feel that way. If I had never played 1,2,3 I might like 4 more. But I did play them and so I see how shallow 4 is IMO in comparison. They have gone from "challenge everything" to meh. That is what I feel about the upcoming EP so far....... meh.
Locked thread
Page 270 of 447