Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#8451 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
I haven't followed this post-release, can sims be affected by the good/bad reputation if they aren't famous, or is it a system that only comes into play with celebrity sims?

You get good bad/reputation even if your sim is not famous.

It takes a bit of doing to go either way. It doesn't swing from good to bad and back after every interaction.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Advertisement
Scholar
#8452 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 8:30 PM
So far I'm really impressed at how hard you have to work to earn fame! I shut global fame off in the gameplay settings and I'm just allowing a select number of my Sims to earn fame, and so far it's been a lot of fun. I was skeptical about this pack, because of the whole fame as a contagious disease thing in Sims 3 and it really is nothing like that at all. You're lucky if you can even get an existing celebrity to acknowledge you. I'm also really enjoying the way reputation works. Again nothing so far, for me anyway, like how reputation worked in Sims 3. I think they did a good job with this pack and I hope they keep it up.
Instructor
#8453 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 10:30 PM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 22nd Nov 2018 at 10:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ive
You get good bad/reputation even if your sim is not famous.

It takes a bit of doing to go either way. It doesn't swing from good to bad and back after every interaction.

how does reputation work without being a celebrity in this game? I thought it was tied into the perks and quirks system of gaining fame and spending fame points

Quote: Originally posted by Liza
I have a feeling that they entered these three thread in the Sims 2 thread and also decided to show some information:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=620414 - Presentation on Sims 2 Development by Andrew Willmott (Maxis)
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=620343 -
What Were the Design Goals for The Sims 2? - Answer by Mike Sellers, one of game desingers of TS2
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=620399 - Making of Sims2 Roof System - by Ocean Quigley, creative director of game

Its cool, that they decided to do that. I am glad that this EP people like. It is very curious to hear that the EP feels like there is something in it from Sims 2 ( ), although Sims 2 don't have EP with this theme.

If you do not understand why Sims 4 is so limited in its capabilities, then you should look at the presentation that is in one of these thread. The developers of Sims 4 in addition to the limitations of the engine avoid crunch. Why do they do that? Because the studio had already had the experience of crunch 12 hours a day creating the Sims 2. The EA pressed on them very much, the developers wanted to bring a lot more into the game. It was a VERY ambitious project, and the developers were then, maybe slightly ... naive, but undoubtedly professionals. Please view the presentation. It really will give answers to many questions about the current state of the series.

That puts a lot into a whole new perspective for me... I can only imagine what the Sims 4 would have turned out to be if this team put in the same amount of crunch as the Sims 2 team or if they had a larger team than they did then... but the sims 4 is what it is... It's not going to bring that magic that the sims 2 had.
Scholar
#8454 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
how does reputation work without being a celebrity in this game? I thought it was tied into the perks and quirks system of gaining fame and spending fame points

Reputation is based on actions your Sims take or interactions they do with other Sims. For example, I have a Sim with the Parenthood reward trait for empathy and she's also family oriented, so she's always trying to help out other Sims - you know, cheer them up and so on. This is helping her boost her reputation in a good way. I don't have fame allowed for her at all. She's just setting a good example with her behavior toward others.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8455 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 2:33 AM
Some of the community made lots on YouTube made with Get Famous are so nice...

The #allGoldEverything interiors aren’t quite my cup of tea, but the facades? The landscaping? The architecture? The sheer opulence? Yes, ma’am!

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#8456 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
That puts a lot into a whole new perspective for me... I can only imagine what the Sims 4 would have turned out to be if this team put in the same amount of crunch as the Sims 2 team or if they had a larger team than they did then... but the sims 4 is what it is... It's not going to bring that magic that the sims 2 had.

In the days of TS2, EA didn't outsource everything like they do now. Every time something comes back that is unfinished or just a mess in general, they either have to deal with the noise that comes with something that looks sloppy or spend the time to fix it. I don't know if the ball pit as a example was the work of 'in house' or if it was a outsourced project, but either way, it was a mess which they had to spend time on because somebody made the decision not to do it right the first time.

Crunch is a issue across the gaming industry in general, but if you look closer, you'll see that the only game publishers and developers that spend the most time complaining about this is AAA gaming companies. These of course are the same companies that are enslaved to their investors, so they have to push out as much product as possible for the most profit even if that means quality takes a hit. Catering to the overlords is more important than bringing new people into the franchise with a good / high quality game.

Then of course back in the days of TS2, we didn't have this issue of divide and conquer within dev teams as mobile games were not a thing in those days. Again, since the Wall Street overlords are more important than customers, that means less people working on PC games.

Many of the issues with TS4 are self-inflicted. This problem with them adding new content which leads to adding more invasive bugs isn't helping. EA has always done this to some degree, but it has reached a point where the bugs are actually making their games unplayable. That's more time and effort being used when it could be spent in other ways. Games that earn a reputation for always being broken from the publisher don't reel in the profits.

I can't and don't feel bad. Many of these issues could be fixed, but because these gaming companies insist on only pleasing a specific group ( it's not the players) this how it's going to be until it isn't.
Instructor
#8457 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
Reputation is based on actions your Sims take or interactions they do with other Sims. For example, I have a Sim with the Parenthood reward trait for empathy and she's also family oriented, so she's always trying to help out other Sims - you know, cheer them up and so on. This is helping her boost her reputation in a good way. I don't have fame allowed for her at all. She's just setting a good example with her behavior toward others.

That's good to know thanks for explaining it to me 😊
Theorist
#8458 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 8:46 AM
Quote:
THE SIMS 4 GET FAMOUS: THE LIFESTYLE BRAND PERK FEATURE IS BROKEN

...confirming that you are ready to launch your brand the game will completely ignore everything you’ve done. I’ve tried launching my brand several times but with no luck. I’ve also asked around on social media and it’s apparent that this is an issue with the game that almost everyone is experiencing.

http://simscommunity.info/2018/11/1...ture-is-broken/

The all caps in the title are not mine; I'm not the one yelling. As for the rest of it, sometimes it is best to allow things to speak for themselves. This is one of those times.
dodgy builder
#8459 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Some of the community made lots on YouTube made with Get Famous are so nice...

The #allGoldEverything interiors aren’t quite my cup of tea, but the facades? The landscaping? The architecture? The sheer opulence? Yes, ma’am!

Yes, some of the items looks really good for this game. Some of the lots are full of stuff though, but I guess that's the thing with this game. A potato supports tons of stuff. I'm working on something similar at the moment, but naturally I'm a minimalist. Stuff the sims can't use or even I have to remove when playing, are being ditched.

The wallpapers are lovely. I just wished there were more of them.
Instructor
#8460 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
http://simscommunity.info/2018/11/1...ture-is-broken/

The all caps in the title are not mine; I'm not the one yelling. As for the rest of it, sometimes it is best to allow things to speak for themselves. This is one of those times.

Wow everytime Im considering getting GF while it's on sale I end up hearing something like this and I'm thankful I don't have it. 😅
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8461 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Yes, some of the items looks really good for this game. Some of the lots are full of stuff though, but I guess that's the thing with this game. A potato supports tons of stuff. I'm working on something similar at the moment, but naturally I'm a minimalist. Stuff the sims can't use or even I have to remove when playing, are being ditched.

The wallpapers are lovely. I just wished there were more of them.

They spent more time on the world, but I digress.

They had the perfect set of objects and build tool to make some amazing luxury mansions in the hills, but we got two modern mansions and some weird looking thing with awnings. The same applies to bungalows and mid-century homes. The boat was so sorely missed.

The lots we can’t use or access are stunning though. There’s that.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
dodgy builder
#8462 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
They spent more time on the world, but I digress.

They had the perfect set of objects and build tool to make some amazing luxury mansions in the hills, but we got two modern mansions and some weird looking thing with awnings. The same applies to bungalows and mid-century homes. The boat was so sorely missed.

The lots we can’t use or access are stunning though. There’s that.

The classical mansion on the mountain top had only 2 huge bedrooms with dressing - and bathrooms. They wasn't very nice looking either. It was the most expensive looking walls, but it just ended up looking pretentious. They hardly did the objects justice.

I downloaded a lovely looking old mansion style from the gallery. It had tons of rooms and he had put in pipes even, with engine things I hardly knew existed. The lot was laggy at crazy though. I had to remove tons of stuff as well, to be able to move around and use the important stuff.

It was useful for me though. It reminded me of why I build the way I do.
Forum Resident
#8463 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 2:32 AM
I like the motorhome and sailboat in the poor area of del sol valley.
dodgy builder
#8464 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 12:26 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 28th Nov 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I haven't been online for a week and I'm kind of surprised at the lack of excitement/news regarding the terrain tools update. It was asked by so many players - I thought there would be tons of feedback and pictures but I'm not seeing anything ? (I'm talking about MTS only)

I posted some pics and asked about it in a thread earlier and someone pointed me in the direction of Kate Emerald. I and Inge Jones had a discussion. Otherwise than that it hasn't been a lot. I think people who played ts3 is probably learning the new tools. It will take a while to get to know them. I'm planning some more complex builds, but it looks to me like it's going to be a while before the really game breaking players comes back to work on ts4.

Perhaps it was you who posted it?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8465 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 1:41 PM
I think typically the more excited people are on the official forums and the less excited are here. I can think of a forum with even less excited people which reminds me I've not looked in there for ages...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
One Minute Ninja'd
#8466 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 1:44 PM
The terrain tools are really nice to have, but unless you're a frequent builder, folks might not want to take the time to learn to use it. I have to say I've been having a lot of fun with this EP. I didn't expect to, still think the new world is unacceptably small, but the gameplay elements are better than I expected. The Python update was fairly seamless as a user, as modders turned out updated mods in rapid time. All in all, a better experience than I expected.
dodgy builder
#8467 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 4:03 PM
I think I remember seeing your post (the one with the stairs, I believe) but I don't remember commenting on it. In any case, I have no idea who Kate Emerald is, so no, it wasn't me.

Good! so now you know

I expect I will be using it on every build from now on. Not having it made me lazy, so it may take some time before I start using it's more complicated options.
Forum Resident
#8468 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 11:39 AM
Apparently the Get Famous golden dress looked really hideous in game, so of course a modder fixed it. Thought I would share it

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...hat_the_ingame/
Field Researcher
#8469 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 11:50 AM
can someone post a nice screenshot of your terraformed lot? I find that elevated terrain is not suitable with the surrounding because they are all flat.
dodgy builder
#8470 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
can someone post a nice screenshot of your terraformed lot? I find that elevated terrain is not suitable with the surrounding because they are all flat.

You don't have to do that much to it. It's just ok to lift the lot a little bit, or have some bumps. You can also just lift it a bit by the foundation of the house, and have a garden with some terraces. You can have some stony gardens around a little bump, or something. You don't need to think that big.

Some of the hoods also has lots of terrain, just not around the lot itself, so it wouldn't look so out of context. You can check my blog if you like. Today's post is about a tiny terraced garden.

(Ohmagad the things she builds)

Thank you :lovestruc
Inventor
#8471 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 6:31 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 30th Nov 2018 at 6:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
Apparently the Get Famous golden dress looked really hideous in game

TS4 does TERRIBLY when it comes to textures. Most textures are very low frequency and lack good specular and normal maps. There's also a problem with the way the game renders textures. TS3 sharpens textures (sometimes it produces noise, especially with light colors). TS4, on the other hand, applies some kind of blur filter so texture look even worse. I'll if I can make some kind of comparison to show what i mean. The Sims 2 (and TS3) did much better when it comes to materials and textures. Metal looks like metal, glass looks like glass. Grass looks like grass

In TS2 they managed to add a metallic effect to clothing by using shadows and highlights in a smart manner:

All it takes is a little bit of work. But that's not something these new developers are known for...

EDIT: I could write for hours and provide concrete evidence to show how unspeakably BAD graphics in TS4 are, but it's pointless. I'll end up sounding very elitist, but the truth is that I'm appalled some people think TS4 looks good for a modern game. Sure, aesthetics are subjective and you may love TS4's highly stylized design. But graphics are the means to achieve a certain aesthetic, and in TS4's case they are subpar and outdated for 2014. Comparatively, 2013 Disney Infinity (a game even more stylized) has better graphics: texture, meshes, shaders, lighting, shadows, etc.

Instructor
#8472 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
TS4 does TERRIBLY when it comes to textures. Most textures are very low frequency and lack good specular and normal maps. There's also a problem with the way the game renders textures. TS3 sharpens textures (sometimes it produces noise, especially with light colors). TS4, on the other hand, applies some kind of blur filter so texture look even worse. I'll if I can make some kind of comparison to show what i mean. The Sims 2 (and TS3) did much better when it comes to materials and textures. Metal looks like metal, glass looks like glass. Grass looks like grass

In TS2 they managed to add a metallic effect to clothing by using shadows and highlights in a smart manner:

All it takes is a little bit of work. But that's not something these new developers are known for...

EDIT: I could write for hours and provide concrete evidence to show how unspeakably BAD graphics in TS4 are, but it's pointless. I'll end up sounding very elitist, but the truth is that I'm appalled some people think TS4 looks good for a modern game. Sure, aesthetics are subjective and you may love TS4's highly stylized design. But graphics are the means to achieve a certain aesthetic, and in TS4's case they are subpar and outdated for 2014. Comparatively, 2013 Disney Infinity (a game even more stylized) has better graphics: texture, meshes, shaders, lighting, shadows, etc.

Now they should feel embarrassed but I'm sure they don't... I think something has happened with the picture quality too.. it used to be really good and now well idk whats going on anymore.
Mad Poster
#8473 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 2:29 AM
I would almost say that Overwatch is the crown jewel of a high-def stylized art style. The aesthetics of the object materials (reflection especially) is amazing, IMO.
Field Researcher
#8474 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 4:08 AM
It still floors me that TS2 has better texture rendering, hand over hand than TS3 or TS4. I gave TS3 a soft pass because of how much work it has to do in-game, but TS4 really is just remarkable in failing to surpass games over 10 years older than it.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8475 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 9:59 AM
Wouldn't the grass be better plain rather than so obviously oversized and stretched? Or is this to fit in with their "dollshouse" look with the chunky furniture legs and I guess if you put a kids' dollhouse on a real house lawn the grass blades would be that big.

When EA decided to go this way I think it's because they misunderstood what was meant by "dollhouse style play" they thought we meant we wanted to play in something that looked like a virtual dollhouse. What we actually meant is we wanted more freedom to play with it the way we would a dollhouse - ie you grab a doll and you decide what you want to pretend it's saying and feeling and what its intentions and relationships are. The way TS1 achieved this original feeling was that their sims did not have facial expressions. So you could decide on the role you had in mind for each sim and choose a custom head that had the right sort of expression - eg one was going to be your superstar and you wanted them proud and haughty, the other was going to be your downtrodden slave and you chose a face that was scared or sad. They always looked the part and unlike TS2 and later they didn't break into huge grins when they were about to die of starvation just cos someone (in TS3 and TS4 even someone they hate can thaw them) told them a joke.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Locked thread
Page 339 of 447