Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 4:33 AM
Which depends, I guess, if you want to ban all of those or not - I have no problem with most of the NPC's - only the pickpocket and the skunk
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Which depends, I guess, if you want to ban all of those or not - I have no problem with most of the NPC's - only the pickpocket and the skunk

The VC lets you choose who to ban and who to allow
Mad Poster
#28 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 6:00 AM
And the VC lets you chose who to allow or ban for each lot so each lot can be dif. from the others.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
#29 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 7:54 AM
IIRC sims with high logic are immune to his trickery and he can only pickpocket a maximum of 5 times for sims with no logic. If a sim has 5 logic that is the point at which they will be immune
Mad Poster
#30 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 9:42 AM
Is that why some Sims escape? I never knew that! I just might take the mod out now that I've learned this. I guess it is logical
As for the VC - I've had it in my game and realised that I don't use it at all - I am, most of the time, rather entertained by NPC's I'd miss the fights in Uni with the cow mascot vs the llama (got it right ) - the gypsy is actually a sweetie pie and a friend of a lot of my Sims (and she brings the genie lamp around rather quickly too - I know some don't like it, but I do ). The professors spice up things a bit when it is too calm in the hood too. Need some drama at times!
Mad Poster
#31 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 2:24 PM
VC has many uses apart from getting rid of annoying npcs. The selling point is the ability to choose when to use it and not, and what to include and what not. I rarely use it, since I don't mind the npcs either, but I like being able to give my teens community lots that's only for teens, and VC is the easiest way to do that.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 5:41 PM
Another vote for the VC. If you download few modded objects, I'd include this one. The UC is banned from every lot in my game, even the residential ones, in case my game burps. I use the VC almost every other time I play, particularly when moving Sims, creating community lots, etc. That plant is everywhere.

I tend to be over-zealous about game-corrupting NPCs. I don't want my Sims to have anything to do with them.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 7:40 PM
I feel as if I have to reconsider the VC
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
As for the VC - I've had it in my game and realised that I don't use it at all - I am, most of the time, rather entertained by NPC's I'd miss the fights in Uni with the cow mascot vs the llama (got it right ) - the gypsy is actually a sweetie pie and a friend of a lot of my Sims (and she brings the genie lamp around rather quickly too - I know some don't like it, but I do ). The professors spice up things a bit when it is too calm in the hood too. Need some drama at times!

You tailor the VC to suit you, it isn't an all or nothing item, you set it to who you want to allow and who you want to ban. However it's automatically set to ban the gypsy, and I believe it does even if you are not using it. So if you want her you will need to place and change it to allow.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#35 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 11:53 PM
If VC isn't right for you, then it's not. No reason one has to like an object just because others do. My post was merely to inform people who may read this thread now or in the future, that VC has uses beyond just NPCs since it also allows you to ban based on ages, genders, careers, aspirations and lots of other stuff.

Jo, does one have to allow gypsy on all lots, or is it enough to do it on one?
Undead Molten Llama
#36 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 11:54 PM
The VC also bans Crumplebottom from all lots by default...which is just fine by me, actually.

As for the mod vs. VC issue...I think it kind of depends on what you want. If you know that you absolutely don't want a certain character to appear in your game ever, period, then a mod that universally nukes them is probably the way to go, just so that you don't have to place the VC, set the banning, etc. But if you want to be more flexible and allow certain characters only on certain lots or only when you want them to appear, then the VC is certainly the way to go because it's more flexible that way. Me, I also like the VC because I can set lots to only spawn certain types of visitors. So, if I want to make, for instance, a teen club/youth center, then I can set the lot to only allow teens. Or only Sims in certain careers. Or only supernaturals. Or...whatever.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#37 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:00 AM
I think you better be "Safe Than Sorry" the Charlatan is an "Object like Mrs. C, I would not mess with him in any shape or form.
I agree with marka93 if he is really getting on your last good nerves, use "TwoJeff's Visitor Contoller it will just Ban him off the lot for that time, that your Sims are there.
You must be very careful with objects NPCs you don't want to cause "Game Corruption. >>>read this >> http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#38 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I think you better be "Safe Than Sorry" the Charlatan is an "Object like Mrs. C, I would not mess with him in any shape or form.

As I said upthread, no he isn't a universal sim and so not like Mrs C - his character files are in your neighbourhood folder and he's more like the social worker. Still not really interactable with but not a game killer.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#39 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
If VC isn't right for you, then it's not. No reason one has to like an object just because others do. My post was merely to inform people who may read this thread now or in the future, that VC has uses beyond just NPCs since it also allows you to ban based on ages, genders, careers, aspirations and lots of other stuff.

Jo, does one have to allow gypsy on all lots, or is it enough to do it on one?

I only had to do it on one. For some time I didn't know why the Gypsy was poofing away and thought I had a mod conflict until I was told it was the VC doing it. My other beef with it is making my sims arrive home from work out of uniform if they are in a maxis career, I don't know why they made it do that. I still have and use though as it's way easier and less confusing then the Business selector.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#40 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
As I said upthread, no he isn't a universal sim and so not like Mrs C - his character files are in your neighbourhood folder and he's more like the social worker. Still not really interactable with but not a game killer.

@>>Maxon >> Your point is well taken, but again I have to still say "Better Safe Than Sorry" there are lots of "wrong" things we did that we found out about the Sims 2 that took years to find out that could cause corruption in the game.
Sorry I can not "Agree" with you when you say Charlatan is "not" a game killer, yes I agree that he is not really interactable.
Therefore the Link I left above about "Game Corruption" ( Post # 37 )This Charlatan is one of the Characters mention there that can cause problems ( Corruption ) in the Sims game. So how can he "not" be a game killer ?

Undead Molten Llama
#41 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 1:08 AM
Whether or not the Charlatan is a "game killer," it's still OK to delete an instance of him from the lot with move_objects turned on. Doing so does nothing to the character file, only deletes the instance of him from the lot. The Visitor Controller works in exactly this way. So, if it's OK to use the VC to ban the Charlatan, then it's OK to turn on move_objects and delete him from the lot.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 1:58 AM
OP stated in first post that you can't grab him even with moveobjects on Can't grab, can't delete.

Thanks jo. I did it on one lot, will be interesting to see if they appear now.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 1:59 AM
Using move objects on a sim isn't the same as deleting them Simonut. On a residential lot it resets the sim and for instances where you want to delete the Charlatan it just removes his sim body from the community, it doesn't interfere with his character file in anyway.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#44 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
OP stated in first post that you can't grab him even with moveobjects on Can't grab, can't delete.

The move_objects thing would only work if you have the community lot buy enabler mod. You have to go into buy/build mode to use move_objects to "delete" something, and you can't do that on a live community lot without a mod. So, to get rid of the Charlatan from lots (Aside from the in-game method of calling the cops on him), you'll need the buy enabler mod, a mod to nuke the Charlatan altogether, or the Visitor Controller. So...Pick your poison, I guess.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#45 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Using move objects on a sim isn't the same as deleting them Simonut. On a residential lot it resets the sim and for instances where you want to delete the Charlatan it just removes his sim body from the community, it doesn't interfere with his character file in anyway.

@>>joandsarah77 >> Yes I do understand everything about move objects on and the different with deleting and resets, along with the use of the Visitors Control and it's purpose.
It's just me personally I don't feel comfortable messing around with any of those objects characters like the Chalatan I have experience Game Corruption, along with others who have.

Even before there was information out, about the do's and don't in the Sims game, Maxis never broke it down in the early stages of the Sims 2 of what may cause game problems.
If it was not for the "Great" Modders we players would still be in the dark about Game Corruptions.

So I just let those characters do their thing in the game, and leave them alone, if they should popup on a lot or not I let them be.
I do appreciate "everyone comments" that the only way to learn things.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#46 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 9:19 PM
To be clear, as the UC's character files are in the neighbourhood folders, if you accidentally corrupt him you simply need to delete the neighbourhood - it will affect no other neighbourhood - NOT a game killer.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 10:00 PM
@maxon Even though he has 3 of them in the NPC area of SimPE they have incomplete user data:

Here is the complete list:
Quote: Originally posted by Wiki
NPCs that are not safe to play as and/or to add to your household because they have incomplete user data:
Big Boss
Break Dancers
Carpool Drivers
Such as for a Taxi, Delivery Truck, School Bus, Carpool, Ambulance, Pilot, etc.
Food Stand Chefs
Human Statues
Repo-men
Social Bunnies
Social Workers
In the event she's spawned through the Gypsy as a blind date, delete her with the move-objects cheat, just in case. Do not interact with the Social Worker or attempt to set any flags on her using SimBlender (or similar), for example, Crush or Married/Joined. This applies to many more NPCs that visit lots.
Villain (Unsavory Charlatan)
Wise Old Man
Witch Doctor (Shaman)

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...safe_to_play_as

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#48 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 1:53 AM
@marka - But I'm not suggesting adding them to your household - we're talking about deleting them off a community lot, either with the Visitor Controller or manually. My point is, that is not a problem or a game killer.

Mad Poster
#49 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 2:15 AM
The way you said it in this post may suggest to some players that they can add him to there family, "his character files" is incomplete and will cause neighborhood corruption if added.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#50 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
The way you said it in this post may suggest to some players that they can add him to there family, "his character files" is incomplete and will cause neighborhood corruption if added.

How does
his character files are in your neighbourhood folder and he's more like the social worker. Still not really interactable with but not a game killer.
suggest any such thing? Especially in the context of the discussion we were having.

Page 2 of 3