Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#26 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Is it possible to make design tool compliant objects with TSRW? Because that's an important issue to me.

I haven't actually tried to do that *with* TSRW -- the version I have (a couple weeks old) generates the long instance IDs by default, but in general you can renumber resources in TSRW too (I just never checked whether that works for all kinds of resources). I normally C+P the COBJ/OBJDs for my stuff in s4pe and renumber them there, since I've been making so many edits of Maxis or my own pre-existing objects (which are using existing references to textures and so on).

It's only the instance ID of the COBJ and OBJD that makes the difference, see this post -- Maxis have already announced they're planning to fix it on their side (so that the design tool will work on regular/older CC objects too), but as usual, no ETA on that. The workaround with using "Maxoid" resource IDs is a bit sub-optimal since it increases the likelyness of ID collisions, but hopefully it's only going to be a workaround for a limited amount of time.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
OMG, it finally works! Some of the entry names on the lists were different from the example, but I was eventually able to figure out where the Diffuse Map references were. The next time referencing textures is going to be signifigantly less painful. I can't thank you enough!
I'm so glad you got it working If you have other questions about how to use Studio to do things I hope you'll feel welcome to post in the Studio creator sections I know the tutorial section isn't comprehensive yet so if you have ideas on how to improve that please let me know.

plasticbox, I think you'll find it easier to make a default override using Studio. As far as I'm aware Tsrw isn't able to make a default clone and, as we both know, s4pe isn't able to make any clone at all. Studio has a one click override clone feature which is much more efficient then the click, copy, paste, click, copy, paste necessary when using s4pe. You can then use the delete button to get rid of whatever resources aren't needed. Studio is a free tool and, I assure you, it always will be. When I tell people about the features it has I'm not advertising...I make no money from it. I'm simply sharing the capabilities of a fully supported and updated tool that's freely available in our community.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#28 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:43 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:54 AM.
The tool is freely available .. but the knowledge is not. The attitude behind this matters a lot more to me than which buttons I can click, thank you very much.

Also, it’s very well possible to create default clones of objects with TSRW -- all you need to do is give it the name of the Maxis object. Works for me, with the advantage of not having to delete a ton of unnecessary files afterwards, like I mentioned above.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Part-time Hermit
#29 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 4:22 AM
I'm thankful for the time and effort both of you put into helping people out with modding the game. I have no kind of programming background myself, and have no understanding of how these tools actually work. I'm more of an average user who tends to go for what's user-friendly and works. I think of how much frustration I'm willing to deal with and how much time I want to spend on achieving something, considering my limited understanding. This is a hobby that's meant to be fun, and whatever choices I make aren't going to endanger anyone's lives, so I can make choices based purely on personal preference. In other areas of life I'll have to use different reasoning, but modding a game should be something that's enjoyable. But, of course, I feel a responsibility to make functional items that aren't going to break anyone's game.

Personally, I'm willing to take the risk of a possible conflict if I can have a working design tool, as opposed to being sure there is neither conflict nor a working design tool.

I understand everyone makes their own choices based on their personal preferences and values.
Alchemist
#30 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 2:53 PM
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the tool is freely available but the knowledge is not. I think you will find the use of Studio more heavily documented than any other tool for Sims 4. There is an extensive library of tutorials for it which grows weekly and there is full support in tutorial threads and the creator help section. For most people wanting to make things for Sims 4 that kind of knowledge is what really matters because this is what allows people to use the tool. I work hard to make sure that people find it easy and fun to use Studio. It is true Studio is proprietary. So is TSRW. So, for that matter, are Windows 7, Mac OS X, Milkshape, and HxD. It's sort of unclear how using those programs is demonstrative of a different attitude than using Studio but yes, I too understand that everyone makes their own choices based on personal preference and values. Each creator must choose what works best for them

The risk of conflict is higher with the numbering currently needed for design tool compatibility, this is true, and the decision to take that risk wasn't made lightly. However, with this numbering system there are millions of possible numbers available so, even with a higher risk, the risk is still very low. If a conflict did occur it wouldn't cause the game to crash and renumbering would fix the problem. Once EA fixes this on their end though Studio will return to the previous numbering system of course.
Page 2 of 2