Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 6:13 PM Last edited by varpunen : 31st Jul 2015 at 7:16 PM.
Though, it's too bad that EA never bothered to fix the ugly snow glitch in Aurora Skies. That alone makes it go straight to my 'Not to buy' -list.

I wish they would sell the hot air balloon as a seperate object from the world itself. That one I would buy.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 10:47 PM
Aurora Skies is the absolute best for me. Lucky Palms is second.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 11:16 PM
What's the "ugly snow glitch"?
Alchemist
#29 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
What's the "ugly snow glitch"?

The water level makes the snow look ugly grey, like cement and the only fix is to lower the level in CAW by yourself. SimGuruSmitty said back in 2013 that they are looking into it but nothing has been done and won't be done.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/650201.page
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/676710.page
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 4:58 AM
@varpunen Wow, and here I was thinking snow would look cool on AS.

Ah well. At least it's nothing game-breaking. I'm used to graphical glitches, so this doesn't bother me as much.
Instructor
#31 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 6:12 AM
I think I like Midnight Hollow best.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 3rd Aug 2015 at 2:40 AM
Does the aurora in the skies of Aurora Skies require max graphic settings to show up? I'm on a laptop and would like to keep mine on the medium-high range. Aurora Skies looks pretty but if I can't get that beauty then it ain't worth $20 to me.

Not that I'd be buying it for at least a few weeks, given that I have other TS3 and real life things to budget for, but just wondering.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 3rd Aug 2015 at 9:33 AM
My favorite is Monte Vista, the view is gorgerous.I play the Dragon Valley most of the time, heavily customized. Sunlit Tides could have been a nice exotic island, with less bugs.
Forum Resident
#34 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 3:40 AM
I broke down and bought Aurora Skies. Shame they only sell it for Simpoints and the cheapest package to get Aurora Skies with is the $40 one. But that and the premium objects I was going to get anyway were well worth that $40 to me. Still haven't "played" Aurora Skies but I want to soon. I just have trouble coming up with a family setup, Any ideas?

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
#35 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 9:37 PM
Is it me or am I the only one who thinks Barnacle Bay is a decent design?

Sure there's some weird lot placements, hop in the world edit and move lots here and there, not much to do other then that..

I like Barnacle Bay for the down town mostly centralized design; also a good town for any sort of play through, add a 35x25 lot next to the central park there and its fine.

Dragon valley and Monte Vista are also really lovely worlds... I also like Lunar Lakes too, and Hidden Springs is beautiful, though, I do disagree with some that it has enough room for lots... Especially with some of the Challenges...

Aurora Skies I have to agree that the houses in the central town area are less then stellar...

Roaring Heights I havent really gotten into even though the stories for some of the sims therein seem cool.

Each town has some issues that in general, are fixed imo by editing the world a bit. And I'm just talking lot placement really.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 12:11 AM
I will have to say Monte Vista is the best in terms of scenery. The landscapes are so lush and the skies are just wonderful to watch especially at dawn and twilight. I love the objects and decor that came with the town as well. The rabbit holes are well designed and really fits the Italian atmosphere.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 6:19 PM
I know this is an old thread, but my favourites are Lucky Palms, Aurora Skies and Hidden Springs. Obviously the worst is Barnacle Bay. It's almost as bad as KPST....

Always mark an answer as helpful, if it helped you out, so people won't need to create another thread on the same topic.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 8:38 PM
Favourite: Monte Vista (and Hidden Springs and Dragon Valley)
Least: Barnacle Bay
Forum Resident
#39 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 3:57 AM
I have over the years played each of the 'store worlds' and have enjoyed their different personalities. Currently I am spending time with the Dean family of Riverview (Moved Dad and son into a home of their own) and the Inkbeard's of Barnacle Bay. Which towns anyone prefers or enjoys is a matter of personal preference and also can be matter of giving it a chance. There can be more to a community than what first meets the eye.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 2:06 PM
Roaring Heights is my all-time fave. The lighting is beautiful, the architecture and the views, it's all just fantastic. A solid aesthetic. I'm not sure if there's any worlds i distinctly dislike, I haven't actually played in Barnacle Bay but I can guarantee I never will.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 9:21 PM
I purchased Midnight Hollow because I love the neo-victorian/Steampunk/general "Halloween" vibe, but It's far too dark to see anything! It's also a bit weird with how the houses are built, but I do love that there are empty community lots you can fill with whatever.

I also love Riverview, but it needs a LOT of work to bring it up to date with all the expansions and stuff. Anyone able to find an empty version of this town? I'd love to try and fix it myself.

Can't say I have a least favorite, as I don't have any other store worlds.
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 10:08 PM
There's an empty Riverview here at MTS, but it's listed as "obsolete."
#43 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 12:49 AM
Monte Vista LOOKS beautiful but it's so hard to travel around in that it becomes nearly unplayable for me.

Dragon Valley is better in that regard but it's so small and for some reason has that dark filter over it...

I like Barnacle Bay but it's really more of an alternate base game map than anything special.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Though, it's too bad that EA never bothered to fix the ugly snow glitch in Aurora Skies. That alone makes it go straight to my 'Not to buy' -list.

Arise, thread, from the dead!

If anyone is interested, I have released a version of Aurora Skies with the snow & routing issues resolved. You will need an original version of Aurora Skies to apply the fix.

http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.co...-was-one-of-the
Mad Poster
#45 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 7:17 PM
That looks a lot better yeah.
I'm very conflicted on Roaring Heights because while I love the period theme, it doesn't really work when everyone has smartphones and laptops. And the ugly taxicabs and ice cream vans ruin the vibe of it really quickly. It's a beautiful world but they didn't do anything to make sure that the 40s actually look like the 40s in regular gameplay. At least the future is 100% futuristic.....

Would be nice if someone adapted Roaring Heights for a modern setting, even if only by changing some of the billboards and street lights, and making the roads all tarmac. If I had CAW I'd probably make an 80s-friendly version with more skyscrapers and Cuban crack dealers lurking around every street corner.

Basically like Bridgeport (but not ugly), like Boroughsburg (but not useless) and like Bankenshima (but not unfinished), but with a Miami Vice/Scarface sort of theme.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#46 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Basically like Bridgeport (but not ugly), like Boroughsburg (but not useless) and like Bankenshima (but not unfinished), but with a Miami Vice/Scarface sort of theme.

Hey, Boroughsburg's still a WIP!
Mad Poster
#47 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 7:49 PM
I know, I know. But Boroughsburg seems more like the sort of world that you'd use for storytelling and screenshotting, not for playing in extended periods of time. It's very pretty but it's also very small. Bridgeport on the other hand is much better for playing in, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good. Had Bridgeport taken up the full map space available to it, rather than being tucked into one corner of the map with a giant mountain taking up the rest, it might've been a much better world visually. Right now it's just a cartoonishly small imitation of a city of millions.

Bankenshima might shape up to be a good mix of both.....problem is, it's not only set in a specific place but also a specific time. Not sure how many people would be interested in playing in an '80s-themed Japanese world.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#48 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I know, I know. But Boroughsburg seems more like the sort of world that you'd use for storytelling and screenshotting, not for playing in extended periods of time. It's very pretty but it's also very small. Bridgeport on the other hand is much better for playing in, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good. Bankenshima might shape up to be a good mix of both.....problem is, it's not only set in a specific place but also a specific time. Not sure how many people would be interested in playing in an '80s-themed Japanese world.

Mmm, the world has around 70 lots, which is roughly the size of Sunset Valley.

Yes, it's true that the world is relatively more compact than other worlds, but I figured that the world would be better suited for people looking to play a generational game in a more realistic tight-knit neighborhood- kind of like the settings in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Will Eisner's A Contract with God/Dropsie Avenue, or Chris Ware's Building Stories.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 8:03 PM
I tried very hard to figure out where the playable world ends and where the decorations begin. You did a hell of a job because I still can't figure it out. My best estimation was 30 lots in an area of about 400 by 600 meters. It's really incredibly hard to tell what's routable and what isn't. I'm not the right person to ask though, because I've never intended to use it as anything other than a stand-in for Bridgeport. I don't know yet if I'll simply avoid aiming the camera at the World Trade Center building or if I'll simply delete the geometry from the distant terrain mesh. I might replace it with the Twin Towers and have an episode where the gang goes to New York City.

Again, I'd need to take a good look at the world to know what it is and what secrets it hides. All I know now is that it looks brilliant.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 11:27 PM
That picture looks lovely jje1000
A quick question.........you use a decrapified version of Aurora Skies. Can I use this with an original version or do I need to decrap mine?
Page 2 of 3