Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#6951 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 12:14 AM
@RoxEllen <blinks owlishly> Ohhh that's what those settings are for... <quietly slips away to go self-educate> Thank you so much! I feel rather silly for not thinking it was in-game (I'm so used to prodding, whacking, and occasionally setting fire to the game files for this stuff...!)

@Peni Griffin - YES okay, I'll do it that way! I've been desperate to avoid that place (it linked itself... that's how insidious it is...)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#6952 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 1:18 AM
And suddenly I feel very fortunate for my pc! @Essa, I've got a i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz intel processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, and 16 GB of ram. My normal TS2 download folder is 14GB, .

I just upgraded my memory last year and while I didn't always have crashing, I regularly to save, quit, and start a new game session because I used to have pink flashing after a couple of hours of play. Nowadays, while my game isn't the best looking out there--I can't handle high poly cc too often, but then again, 14 GB, yo--I rarely experience crashing anymore. Plus I don't see pink flashing at all. Power source is my main concern right now, as I bought an Alienware a few years ago, and while it looks cool in its slim case, I didn't realize at the time I bought it that the slim case means options for a power source are actually quite limited. But I digress.

Looking at your specs and then my specs, and knowing that upgrading to 16 GB gave my pc some stability, I'd say your memory should be your next upgrade, then maybe your power source if you feel like you're not getting your money's worth out of your graphics card. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also installed an SSD and am using my old 1TB hard drive as back up; I think having free space on your hard drive helps, too--though someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Theorist
#6953 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 12:30 PM
@Phantomknight
Knowing that W8.1 64 bits needs 2 GB of ram and TS2 can run 4 GB (in fact, it's less than that) I think that 8 GB is good enough.
I already have a SSD (got my first one in 2014 when I rebuilt my desktop and yay for faster loading times) and I also have a 1 TB hard drive.

Cleaning will be in order first then I may upgrade to more memory and maybe a new power supply.
Alchemist
#6954 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 6:20 PM
I thought so too, but again, I noticed the steep increase in stability with more memory. Also, I read somewhere, I'll look up the link later, but anyway it's said that your download folder should be no more than half your memory--or something like that.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#6955 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 6:15 AM
I want whoever coded the way Sims decide on routing to be stuck forever on the wrong side of a rotating bookshelf...

(It makes sense in context that I'm deliberately not providing you because it would spoil a current project. )

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#6956 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 8:48 AM
So today I found that the census tool by christianlov no longer works in my game due to it having an upper limit of around 1.6k sims.
yes I do have a hood with that many Sims. I do have the no-multiple spawned sims of a variant mods in my game.
I guess i just really like Sims.
also I was playing fallout NV recently and came across an NPC talking about a triggered event being just like the Sims as in simulation of a flight.
but of course my brain when ??? Sims, I don't recall the Sims being canon to fallout lore.
Mad Poster
#6957 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 12:42 AM
I took a hotel lot and turned it into an apartment lot. They're pretty basic and a lot of the amenities are in the lobby so I used Inge's apartment signs for those. They're very cheap though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6958 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 1:01 AM
So Roldan refuses to hold his ex-boyfriend and long-time BFF Chesley's hand, but after a successful "admire," he accepts a "charm" and immediately falls into both crush and love. Good thing Chesley didn't give up after one failure!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6959 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 5:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
So Roldan refuses to hold his ex-boyfriend and long-time BFF Chesley's hand, but after a successful "admire," he accepts a "charm" and immediately falls into both crush and love. Good thing Chesley didn't give up after one failure!
That reminds me of Andrew's very first attempt to kiss Julian. That was a failure too. It wasn't a rejected kiss. It was a clumsy, fumbled, "nearly" kiss. But it was absolutely right for these two sensitive boys feeling their way towards discovering their sexuality. Their lips did touch, but they couldn't quite manage a proper kiss. Andrew could read the signs though; he could see that Julian wanted to kiss him. No doubt Julian was taken by surprise when his still quite new friend tried to kiss him. So Andrew persevered and tried again, and this time they managed it and got the cut-scene video.

This was of course very early in my game, but I've never seen the animation since. But then no Sim since has been quite as direct as Andrew. Andrew thought that any preliminary "flirting" was "shallow" and insincere. And Andrew is nothing if not sincere. So he went straight for a first kiss with no prior romantic interactions. So that fumbled failed kiss helped the boys on their path towards falling in love with each other. And it helped me on my path towards falling in love with this game! :lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6960 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 7:30 AM
Always disappointing when something looks great in-game, but because of its shape or its scale or its enclosure, there's not a way to get a screenshot that does it justice...

I guess I'll have to rely on my reputation to persuade people that some of these rooms really do look good...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#6961 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 8:25 AM
I've never seen a failed, but not rejected, kiss.
Lab Assistant
#6962 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 9:43 PM
I cant help but think that Alexander Goth is a product of one night stand between Bella and Goopy GilsCarbo. He looks nothing like Mortimer.
Field Researcher
#6963 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 10:17 PM
Looking about TS4 Get Famous I wonder why TS2 don't have something about superstar theme? Maybe maxoids forgot about this, maybe they decided that TS2 is simulator of ordinary, mundane human life, not a star life simulator. Or they decided that TS1 SuperStar has a very limited theme for the TS2, and this addition can not be made more sandbox-like for the TS2.
Inventor
#6964 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 3:53 AM
I may be the only one that can't get certain cheats to work in my userStartup.cheat file. Everything breaks if I try to include moveobjects and quartertileplacement, and I make sure I do it right like the wiki says

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Alchemist
#6965 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 4:10 AM
@Primavera, attach your file and we can tell you where you went wrong.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Inventor
#6966 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@Primavera, attach your file and we can tell you where you went wrong.

Here you go @Phantomknight, and sorry for the late reply
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  My userStartup.7z (410 Bytes, 4 downloads) - View custom content

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Scholar
#6967 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 9:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
Looking about TS4 Get Famous I wonder why TS2 don't have something about superstar theme? Maybe maxoids forgot about this, maybe they decided that TS2 is simulator of ordinary, mundane human life, not a star life simulator. Or they decided that TS1 SuperStar has a very limited theme for the TS2, and this addition can not be made more sandbox-like for the TS2.

While I loved TS1 Superstar, there was a lot of backlash against it from simmers at the time. It was usually the least loved EP. So it makes sense that EA didn't remake this EP for TS2.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Alchemist
#6968 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:07 PM
Really? I love superstar and in my experience it was a well liked EP. Then again, I wasn't active in the TS1 community back in the day; I only started getting involved with sims stuff online with TS2. It's my favorite EP, though and considering OFB, I think some superstar elements would have fit extremely well in TS2 & TS3--especially considering the number of storyteller and video maker fans TS2 had & has.

@Primavera, a couple of things are missing in your alias lines that are in mine, so I'll post mine below, to see if that helps, but the main big thing is that you can't set the quarter tile cheat to on--that'll make all the cheats stop working. You have to use an alias for it instead. So try that first.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Inventor
#6969 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@Primavera, a couple of things are missing in your alias lines that are in mine, so I'll post mine below, to see if that helps, but the main big thing is that you can't set the quarter tile cheat to on--that'll make all the cheats stop working. You have to use an alias for it instead. So try that first.

Thanks for this @Phantomknight! I have my original userStartup.cheat file backed up so I'll start a new one to see if this will work

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Forum Resident
#6970 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 7:47 PM
Does anyone know on what logic the game chooses maternity outfits for sims? So far I've only seen pregnant sims wear the white and gray maternity clothes, and maybe a pink one if I'm not mistaken, and whenever I try to use BoilingOil's plan maternity mod the clothes never change.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6971 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I've never seen a failed, but not rejected, kiss.
I think I only got to see the animation because Andrew was a very inexperienced Sim played by a very inexperienced Simmer. It never occurred to me use the Flirt interactions. We (i.e. Andrew and I) just went straight for the First Kiss. I suppose it was a bit of a risk: both Andrew and Julian had a fear of being rejected for a First Kiss, but only Andrew had an active want to have one, which is why I played it from his side rather than from Julian's. I'm fairly sure the boys were friends at this stage, but they probably weren't best friends yet. It was a Saturday morning, and the boys were alone in the house while Gloria was at work. I think I might have told Andrew to use Flirt - Check Sim Out just prior to the kiss, but he did nothing (until that kiss) that would give Julian any idea how he felt. I could feel Andrew's intense fear of rejection.as he went into that kiss. I think he thought the ground might open and swallow him up! Instead we got that clumsy, but really quite beautiful, attempted kiss. It was just so right for those boys.

All in all I'm very glad I saw that kiss, It's one of the most moving things I've seen in all the time I've been playing The Sims. I'm impressed that Maxis put so much effort into an animation that I'm sure very few Simmers ever get to see.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6972 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
So today I found that the census tool by christianlov no longer works in my game due to it having an upper limit of around 1.6k sims.
yes I do have a hood with that many Sims. I do have the no-multiple spawned sims of a variant mods in my game.
I guess i just really like Sims.

I have a pretty big hood too. I've seen at least a few mods, usually older ones, completely break down from this.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#6973 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 5:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Does anyone know on what logic the game chooses maternity outfits for sims? So far I've only seen pregnant sims wear the white and gray maternity clothes, and maybe a pink one if I'm not mistaken, and whenever I try to use BoilingOil's plan maternity mod the clothes never change.

@sugoisama
From the download page of BoilingOil "BO - PlanMaternityOutfit-GLOBAL v1.2 - allows you to set up your sim's pregnancy wear, even while they're not pregnant yet. Works for all game configurations with OFB or better and a Pregnancy-wear-any-outfit mod." According to what his directions say, you need to have a Pregnancy-wear-any-oufit mod.

I recommend the one by Squinge. If you have EP8 http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,91730.0.html, if you don't have EP8 look under the mods for EP7 or EP6 etc. and pick the highest EP you have.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Forum Resident
#6974 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 11:56 AM
@lordtyger9
Yeah, I read it, but Squinge's mod basically makes the maternity category redundant. Guess it's back to everyone wearing the same thing...
Theorist
#6975 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 1:35 PM
I feel like cleaning my DL folder is like trying to lose weight.
You gain weight in no time while it takes time to lose some.
I went from 6.18 Gb to 6.02 Gb but truth is I'd like to add more CC.
Page 279 of 515