Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 11:09 AM
Default Adding new craftables to woodworking table?
Hi guys,

I'm working on making some "handmade" playable wooden toys and thought it would be great if sims could craft then on the woodworking table. Is that possible?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 12:38 PM
Yes, basically just copy the existing recipes, it should be pretty straightforward. Good idea! =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Yes, basically just copy the existing recipes, it should be pretty straightforward. Good idea! =)

Thanks! Ah, I see, is it similar to your food recipes? Could you direct me to the right tutorial for this kinda thing please?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 1:32 PM
There is no tutorial for that (that I know of). Just copy + renumber one of the existing recipes and post if you have questions =). I've already added stuff to that table so I know that it works.

Or do you mean a general XML tuning tutorial? (I believe you know that stuff already, don't you? But there is an overview in Tutorials, the age-old "Walkthrough" thing that I posted, in case that's still helpful.)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 9:56 PM
There is no tutorial for that (that I know of). Just copy + renumber one of the existing recipes and post if you have questions =). I've already added stuff to that table so I know that it works.

Or do you mean a general XML tuning tutorial? (I believe you know that stuff already, don't you? But there is an overview in Tutorials, the age-old "Walkthrough" thing that I posted, in case that's still helpful.)

So, I've just cloned the horse sculpture and replaced it with my toy, but it didn't show up. I used TSRW though, now I'll try S4Studio and see if it works. I must be missing something...

I'll try Studio and see what I get, will let you know if I run into trouble, thanks Plasticbox!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:10 PM
You need to copy / create the actual tuning and recipe, not just clone the object. That will only get you a non-matching object ID (unless you make it an override, but that is probably not what you want).

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:20 PM
You need to copy / create the actual tuning and recipe, not just clone the object. That will only get you a non-matching object ID (unless you make it an override, but that is probably not what you want).

Ah, ok, that explains it, didn't appear again, but it appeared in debug...so it's in there somewhere. Ok...probably stupid question, how do you copy/create the tuning?...I'm going to head over to your custom food and see if I can figure out how you added them there...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:22 PM
Do you have the tuning extracted in the first place? If not then please do check out the Walkthrough thingy I mentioned above.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:34 PM
Do you have the tuning extracted in the first place? If not then please do check out the Walkthrough thingy I mentioned above.

Is it this one: "XML Tuning How-To"? Probably...k, lets see now...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:42 PM
Yes, that is the one I meant. (Sorry, I thought I had seen you doing XMLly stuff before, but probably confused you with somebody else)

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:51 PM
Yes, that is the one I meant. (Sorry, I thought I had seen you doing XMLly stuff before, but probably confused you with somebody else)

Hehe, no problem.
K, got Scumbumbo's Extractor open...extracting stuff now...will see if I can figure it out...

Glad to have the help Thanks!!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
Hehe, no problem.
K, got Scumbumbo's Extractor open...extracting stuff now...will see if I can figure it out...

Glad to have the help Thanks!!

Ok, found the elephant sculpture XML, edited a description in Notepad just to test, imported into S4PE and dropped it in my game. Now, the elephant sculpture is missing from the menu altogether (it's probably an override too, and the EA CC page won't open for me so I haven't figured that out either)...Ah crap, I probably seemed so much smarter when you thought I knew what I was doing, lol!

I don't quite get it, how do you link the toy I created to this XML?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 1:32 PM
I would suggest you go head to tail first: look at the tuning of the woodworking table, then at the crafting interactions that are linked from there (in the "super_affordances" list), then at the recipes etc, so you can see how the whole procedure is linked. Then work your way up again, starting with the object itself (you've done that already I think -- make sure it works as a deco object and looks nice etc), link everything via overrides first (for testing), and then replace the overrides with custom tuning one by one, bottom to top.

To find the stuff, search your XML folder for "woodwork":

\object\S4_B61DE6B4_00000000_0000000000003A9C_object_WoodworkingTable.xml <.-- look at the interactions list (this has two of everything, for large and small craftables -- you only need the "Sculpture" things, the rest you can ignore)

\interaction\S4_E882D22F_00000000_0000000000002380_woodworkingTable_StartCrafting_Sculpture.xml <.-- look at the "recipes" list

\recipe\S4_EB97F823_00000000_00000000000074B7_recipe_Woodwork_Sculpture_Elephant.xml <.-- look at the strings, like "<T n="name">0x3817CAFB<!--String: "Elephant Sculpture"--></T>" -- you will want to change that in your tuning.

First, the recipe: "<T n="definition">29194</T>" is what defines which object to create. Just like in cooking recipes, this is the OBJD/COBJ ID of the object in decimal. As a first step, replace this with the ID of your object (IIRC this needs to be 32bit, not 64), save the recipe as an override (as a new file, no custom name or anything, no other changes) and have your sim craft an elephant sculpture in game. The result should now be your sculpture.

Step two: replace the strings. Make a new STBL resource, and for each string in the elephant recipe that says something about elephants, add the string you want instead to that STBL, using a sensible hash as key (like from "kd9b_toy_bunny01_name" for the name). Save the STBL and replace the string IDs in the recipe with yours. Now when a sim crafts an elephant, it will not only be a toy bunny, it will also be named "Toy Bunny" with a bunnified description.

Step three: once you have that working, you can turn the recipe override into a custom recipe: rename it and change the ID (if you read the Maxis guide you ought to know how, containing your user name and all), then add your recipe to the list in woodworkingTable_StartCrafting_Sculpture.xml . Save as override, verify that it works, then you can do the same thing as above: make it a custom interaction instead of overriding the existing one, and add your interaction to the list in the crafting table object.

You can also change the name of the interaction and put it in a new "Craft Toy" pie menu (which you will need to make first), but that is a bridge you can cross when you get to it.

Also, you will want to add your interaction with a script in the end, not by overriding the table, but that only makes sense to do once you have it all set up and working (otherwise it'll just be unnecessarily difficult to figure out whether it's the script or the tuning that has a problem, in case something doesn't work).

The object tuning you can probably ignore btw, I think that is just generic "i am very decorative" stuff.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 5:04 PM
Wow, thanks for the steps, that's very kind, I sure need it!
Maybe it'll make more sense when I get into it now, lol!

Before I start, will my toys work as "playable toys" with this? Not just sculptures?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 5:12 PM
Ah, you might have to edit the object tuning for that, right. Or simply use the one you have there, the sculpture stuff doesn't really do anything interesting I think.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 6:11 PM Last edited by K9DB : 3rd Feb 2016 at 10:01 PM.
Ah, you might have to edit the object tuning for that, right. Or simply use the one you have there, the sculpture stuff doesn't really do anything interesting I think.

Ok...I think I'll do one step at a time, get a feeling for this stuff...can I still use the sculpture to start, the way you said, and then change it later?

Ok, just going to list what I'm doing here, keep my brain on track...

Step 1: found the woodworking table in XML Extractor, under "super affordances" I see various "sculpture" interactions: 9088>StartCraftingSuperInteraction: woodworkingTable_StartCrafting_Sculpture
9310>CraftingPhaseCreateObjectInSlotSuperInteraction: siCrafting_WoodWorkingTable_CreateSculpture
Don't see two of everything, but I'm guessing that's what I'm looking for?

Step 2: K, found the "start crafting sculpture"XML...found recipe list...ok, see recipes for the different sculptures...

Step 3: Found the "Elephant sculpture string" you mentioned...ok, let's see...

Step 4: Found: -<T n="definition">
29194 <!--MusicTrack: musicTrack_Guitar_Practice_Skill08_19-->
Guessing that's right?
Hmmm...ID of my object?...Ok, hold on, Let me see if I can find it...Probably in S4PE I'm guessing...

Ummm...ok, opened in TSRW to see what I can find, while I'm at it, I think maybe I should delete the second recolor in there too? Not sure how those work on the woodworking table yet.

Let's try S4Studio then...lol...probably a stupid question, but where do I find the object ID? It isn't the "tuning ID" is it? And how do you know if it's 32 or 64 bit? My computer runs 64?
E: Oh wait...just opened S4PE and saw something about "FNV64" "ClipIID" "FNV32"...Is that what you mean? I clicked 32...Gonna try the tuningID....saved that notepad thingy...got my package in game...ok, lets see
E: Nope, it's still the elephant, yeah, didn't really think that's the right ID...pretty sure I've seen "Object ID" somewhere before...where was it?!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#17 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 5:08 PM
Regarding the OBJD, open your package in s4pe and there you have it. The number in "definition" is the instance ID of the COBJ/OBJD (in decimal). Also see the sticky in this forum if you need more info.

You can ignore the "musicTrack_Guitar_Practice_Skill08_19" thing in that comment btw -- that just gets plunked in there automatically because that tuning (which is completely unrelated) happens to have the same ID.

(Also, can you doublepost when you get stuck? It's nice if you edit your post for sorta in-between steps, but that way the thread does not count as updated)

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 9:42 PM
Regarding the OBJD, open your package in s4pe and there you have it. The number in "definition" is the instance ID of the COBJ/OBJD (in decimal). Also see the sticky in this forum if you need more info.

You can ignore the "musicTrack_Guitar_Practice_Skill08_19" thing in that comment btw -- that just gets plunked in there automatically because that tuning (which is completely unrelated) happens to have the same ID.

(Also, can you doublepost when you get stuck? It's nice if you edit your post for sorta in-between steps, but that way the thread does not count as updated)

Hi Plasticbox,

Ah, ok, was wondering about the guitar thing.
And thanks for the tip, didn't realize my posts weren't updating :P

Sooo...I've tried it a bunch of times, but it's still not working, I must be missing something. I went to OBJD of my created toy in S4PE...went to the sticky to check...I'm assuming by "definition" you mean the OBJD? I can't find anything labelled definition. So I used the number in the name...didn't work, used the "instance" value, (converted from Hex to decimal)...nothing...
I replaced the number in the "elephant sculpture" string with the new one, saved, imported into S4PE, saved as package and put it in my folder along with the toy package, is that right?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#19 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 10:04 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 4th Feb 2016 at 10:17 PM.
I can't really follow. "Not working" in what sense, can you be a bit more specific .. what happens when you attempt to sculpt an elephant sculpture?

The number you need to put in S4_EB97F823_00000000_00000000000074B7_recipe_Woodwork_Sculpture_Elephant.xml where it says <T n="definition">29194</T> is the ID of the OBJD/COBJ of your object.

To get that number, you open the object in s4pe, look at the instance list, it will list something like

COBJ 0x319E4F1D-0x80000000-0xA087FD3A02B09F8F
OBJD 0xC0DB5AE7-0x80000000-0xA087FD3A02B09F8F

Firstly, this has to be 32bit for craftables (in 1.13 -- not sure if this perhaps changed with today's patch), so if it isn't aready, you need to convert it to a 32bit ("8 digit") number now. Copy the internal name of your object (in the OBJD preview, right at the top, "Name" -- or you can also make up a sensible name to hash from, like "kd9b_toybunny"), go to top menu > Tools > FNV Hash, paste the name in the text box and hit Calculate. The copy the number from the FNV32 field (this is the 32bit value .. hence the name) and paste it into both the OBJD and COBJ instance fields (doubleclick on the resource in the list, paste, OK). If your original ID was 0xA087FD3A02B09F8F it should be 0x00000000D2205A8F now, for example.

Then convert the ID to decimal (like with the built-in Windows calculator or whatever) and paste the decimal value into your XML. Save. Put in package, put package in /Mods.

Also please do read the Maxis CC guide.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 11:57 PM
Oh right, sorry, I meant the elephant was still and elephant.

Got the instance thing right after all, but I must still be doing something wrong. Followed the steps...at first the elephant was gone completely. I went back and changed the XML to 32 when I opened it this time, then the elephant option was back...but the elephant is still an elephant
Why can't I get this! Argh!

It isn't because the elephant is a sculpture and the toy is an actual toy is it?
Oh, and the new number is a 9 digit number...is that normal?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 12:51 AM
I guess you are still using a wrong ID if you have nine digits there. Can you post screenshots or cite actual numbers?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 1:28 AM
I guess you are still using a wrong ID if you have nine digits there. Can you post screenshots or cite actual numbers?

Here ya go. The toy I cloned was the pony one to test. I've been thinking, maybe it's not working right 'cause it's in the toy section and not debug?
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 2:42 AM
The ID of recipe_Woodwork_Sculpture_Elephant is 0x74B7, not whatever that is in your second screenshot. If you change that the game will have no idea it is even there.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 12:16 PM
The ID of recipe_Woodwork_Sculpture_Elephant is 0x74B7, not whatever that is in your second screenshot. If you change that the game will have no idea it is even there.

The ID changed when I opened it with the 32 bit button. The original one made the elephant not show up in game at all.
Hmmm...You know, I think I'll completely redo it later, maybe something's wrong with the package itself. This time I'll clone the actual elephant sculpture to start, see if it works and then go back to making a playable toy.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
The ID changed when I opened it with the 32 bit button. The original one made the elephant not show up in game at all.
Hmmm...You know, I think I'll completely redo it later, maybe something's wrong with the package itself. This time I'll clone the actual elephant sculpture to start, see if it works and then go back to making a playable toy.

Ok, redid it with the steps, but now the elephant is missing from the menu. It's a sculpture for now and in the debug area this time, but, nope still not working. The ID's look the same as the screenshots, except the one you said not to change. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 6