Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#26 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 4:23 PM
Can you post your package?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#27 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 8:34 PM Last edited by K9DB : 6th Feb 2016 at 9:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Can you post your package?

This is the sculpture one, let me know if you need the toy. (The texture isn't the final one, hehe, I just didn't add it for testing)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#28 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 8:46 PM
Holy cow, what are you using to edit your XML? o.O

That file starts with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> @namespace html url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml); :root { font:small Verdana; font-weight: bold; padding: 2em; padding-left:4em; } * { display: block; padding-left: 2em; } html|style { display: none; } html|span, html|a { display: inline; padding: 0; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; } html|span.block { display: block; } *[html|hidden], span.block[html|hidden] { display: none; } .expand { display: block; } .expand:before { content: '+'; color: red; position: absolute; left: -1em; } .collapse { display: block; } .collapse:before { content: '-'; color: red; position: absolute; left:-1em; }
<I s="29879" n="recipe_Woodwork_Sculpture_Elephant" m="crafting.recipe"
i="recipe" c="Recipe">

.. I am not surprised that this does not work.

Please use something sensible, Notepad++ should do the job or anything else that is an actual editor (ideally with syntax check; npp has a plugin for that, other editors might have it built in). Your formatting is also all over the place (which technically does not matter, but it makes it very easy to break things and very hard to find problems).

The horse looks really cute though =).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 9:24 PM
Oooooh! So I've been using the wrong Notepad this whole time?!?! Oh I'm so sorry Plasticbox, been wasting your time.
I'll look into that, thanks!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#30 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 9:37 PM
Ok, got the right Notepad this time...but...another quick (stupid) question ...what's a syntax checker? Is that what the plugin is called? Can't seem to find it with that name.

E: Or is that the TextFX thing?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 10:54 PM
PLASTICBOX!! Sorry for shouting, hehe, but after another bunch of missing elephants and elephants that are meant to be horses...I figured it out!! YAAYYY!!

I'd been editing the wrong file! No wonder it looked so weird! I accidentally, on purpose, opened the other file I found and suddenly knew exactly what you meant! It looks so much different! Don't know why I didn't think of that before, but the low end Notepad I'd been using wouldn't open anything else, that makes so much more sense now, lol!

By the way, have you tried crafting anything at the table lately? I get a weird icon in the sim's inventory where the object should be, looks like a circle with a star in it? I removed my package and tested again, but it's still there. That wasn't me was it? I didn't just mash my games brain the way I did mine did I? lol!
...by the way, behind that weird icon is the horse! :D
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#32 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 11:12 PM
That icon is a generic craftables icon. Off the top of my head I don't remember under what circumstances it will show up.

And yeah, Notepad and Notepad++ are two very different animals.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#33 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 1:21 AM
Ah, ok, glad I didn't break my game with those icons then!
Thanks for the help and patience Plasticbox, I have a few more toys that I'm working on. I think I'll finish them first and then do the next steps. Will let you know when I get stuck again, lol!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#34 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 1:11 PM Last edited by K9DB : 11th Feb 2016 at 1:28 PM.
Ok, finished the first toy and it's recolors, ready to add them to the woodwork table.
Put it under "knife block", since this one doesn't require any skill yet, and it's showing up, it even works as a toy! YAY!
Now, I have all the recolors added to that one package and noticed they each had their own "definitions" so I tried to add them in separate XML files. I was hoping to do something like your pottery, where you get a random recolor when you sim makes one, but I guess it doesn't work that way. Do I need to make a separate package for each color maybe? With the mesh and everything?
Or maybe clone my own package and add each recolor in a separate package, that means there's only one mesh right?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#35 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 1:29 PM
If you want your toy to be a regular recolourable object, you only need one recipe that uses one variant for the definition .. the rest people can recolour themselves.

The pottery thing works differently -- the pottery items are reward objects, not regular craftables. Read the upload description and take the package apart to see how it works. The rewards are defined in the loot actions, like loot_pbox_potteryBlob_FlowerVaseSmall_FinalItem (this has a list of all the colour variants; one will be picked randomly); those are linked from the "Finish" interactions.

The tdescs for loots and stuff would be recommended reading if you want to do something like that. But I think I'd recommend you follow through with the normal woodwork craftable first and finish that, before opening another can of worms =).

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#36 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 1:54 PM
Oh, ok darn, was hoping it would be easier so it would add some more randomness to the toys...but, you're probably right, best finish the normal version or I'll only be done next year!

My original package actually works that way, creates a toy and then you can select what color, so that's good.

I think I have to clear my thumbcache though and have the game create new ones again so I can grab them and actually ADD them to the package. That annoying shield icon is still showing up, even when the kid plays with the toy. Hoping the game will take the icons in the package then, instead of creating that shield thing.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#37 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:11 PM
Re. the "shield", do you have an icon_override defined in your recipe?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#38 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 3:06 PM
Re. the "shield", do you have an icon_override defined in your recipe?

It's that circle with the star in it, I haven't change anything about the icons...but I saw something like that in there?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#39 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 3:55 PM
How do you mean "something like that"?

[citation needed]

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#40 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 5:07 PM
How do you mean "something like that"?

[color=blue] [citation needed] [/color]

Just thought I'd seen "icon override" somewhere in the XML, I think I did...didn't I? Shouldn't be different from the original though if it's there. Not at my computer right now, but I'll take a look later and post it.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#41 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 6:57 PM
If you have an override still in but don't want one, you should maybe remove it. =)

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#42 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 8:26 PM
If you have an override still in but don't want one, you should maybe remove it. =)

Here's the override thing I saw...
I'm not quite sure what you mean, what does it do exactly? Is it the reason for the "shield"?
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#43 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 8:43 PM
It tells the game to use "skill_generic.png" for the icon, which is the image with the ID that you see there. Look in the game packages for that ID (paste ID in "Instance" with 0x in front, tick the tickybox, hit "Set", hit "Filter Active") if you want to know what it is. Pretty sure you do not want to use an override though.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#44 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 9:04 PM Last edited by K9DB : 11th Feb 2016 at 9:17 PM.
It tells the game to use "skill_generic.png" for the icon, which is the image with the ID that you see there. Look in the game packages for that ID (paste ID in "Instance" with 0x in front, tick the tickybox, hit "Set", hit "Filter Active") if you want to know what it is. Pretty sure you do not want to use an override though.

So that's the problem? So how do I delete it? That whole line? Or what part of it?

Ok, just removed my packages from the mods folder, but even the games sculptures all have that annoying shield icon...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#45 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 9:56 PM Last edited by K9DB : 11th Feb 2016 at 10:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by K9DB
So that's the problem? So how do I delete it? That whole line? Or what part of it?

Ok, just removed my packages from the mods folder, but even the games sculptures all have that annoying shield icon...

Looook! I figured out how to edit the STBL things and add the new strings! YAYY! I'm so surprised that it works, thought I didn't get it and had left out a step (but maybe I didn't 'cause I edited the "name" before)...anyway...it WORKS! :D...Wow, getting so excited about something so small, LOL!

E: Just found out how to change the price! YEAH! Who's a genius? I am!...Ok, I exaggerate, lol...I wonder if it's even worth 2 Simoleons? It would basically only take the price of a pen to make...you'll see...how much you suppose a pen costs? :P

E: The "quality" of the crafted object is missing now, where'd I go wrong?
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#46 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 11:55 PM
YEEESSS! Ok, I got it, that horrible icon is gone! I just deleted the "icon override" from <V> to </V> and now my thumbnail appears
It's odd though, it seems as though EA added it with the last patch, I first removed my whole mods folder to see if I could find a problem and the icon was still there. Plus I cloned the games own XML...sooo...wonder why they did that?

As for the "Quality" being gone, I think it's because the craftable is cloned from a toy instead of one of those sculptures. Can I add that to my toys though?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#47 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 12:41 AM
Yay, congrats on all that progress! =D \o/

Regarding that icon thing -- I faintly recall having seen that being reported as a bug, or maybe there is a mod for that that deals with it? In any case I'm not sure it was really on purpose that they did that. Or on the specific purpose of not having reasonable icons any more, at least.

Re. the quality -- check the craftable sculpture tuning against your toy tuning (have you discovered the Compare funcion in Notepad++ already?). The craftables have a component for quality, which a toy is probably lacking. You might also need to add that component to the OBJDs of your object (you should be able to figure out which one it is by comparing a craftable-woodwork-sculpture with a toy .. if the craftable has a hash in the components list that the toy does not have, that is most likely the one that you need to add).

E: https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/ -- Compare is actually a plugin it seems, not built in. You should get that, it is incredibly useful.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#48 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:21 AM
Hehe, thanks!

Do you think it'll be a problem that I deleted that icon override when/if they add a patch that fixes it later?

Thanks for the compare plugin, downloading now and I'll take a look tomorrow, goodnight, thanks for the help
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#49 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:24 AM
I wouldn't expect there to be any issues just because you're using the regular icon. Maybe read the tdesc if you're interested in the gory details?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#50 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 8:03 PM
Sooo, a little stuck again... :P
A bit confused...
So, I compared the Toy MXL "object_toyHandGENToyBoxDino_01" with the knife block sculpture XML "recipe_woodwork_sculpture_knifeblock"...I can't find any other knifeblock sculpture that's an "object" instead of "recipe", is that the right one?
I see a bunch of differences, but I'm not sure which ones to add to the toy? And how do I add that changed XML to the OBJD? I see some "components" listed in S4PE, is that what you mean?
Page 2 of 6