Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 9:25 AM
Window frame disappears when camera angle is lowered. How to fix?
I've been trying to make the Ye Olde Window, which is 2-tiled, fit over a 3-tiled space. However, when I exported what I had made to see how it looked in game, I noticed that the window's frame suddenly faded and then nearly disappeared as the camera angle lowered. Searching found that another user had had this problem also, but it wasn't ever resolved.

Walkthrough of what I did:
  • Cloned the Ye Olde Window in TSR Workshop
  • Exported the mesh as a .wso Workshop Object.
  • Opened the file in MilkShape and moved the mesh half of a tile over. Exported this mesh.
  • Opened up the 3-tile Bonjour et Adieu and changed the mesh to that of the modified Ye Olde.
  • In GIMP, worked off of the original form of the Ye Olde to edit the wall masks to match the new form. (I noticed here that each wall mask image had 8 layers. I only edited the top one.)
Images are below. Note that I've only done 2 of the wall masks; the big hole on the left isn't the problem.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 4:10 PM
Hi!

Windows work with groups like some other EA meshes. So say you have group_0 for the glass, group_1 for the window edges and Group_2 for the front window edges. Make sure you imported it the exact same way as EA's groups setting are.
Also, the latest TSRW version seems to corrupt some things for The sims 3, especially when it comes to doors and windows. Which version are you using?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 5:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I duplicated a group as it refused to import the new mesh without the same number of groups. I forgot to say that earlier even though it warned me that it probably wouldn't work as expected. I've since tried again with a different window that has the same number of groups, and as far as I can tell the new groups match up. Unfortunately the frame still disappears when lowering the camera.
I'm using the most recent version of TSRW (2.0.235.0).
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 8:58 PM
I think it's TSRW's fault then. Since the TSRW team worked on making TSRW compatible TS4, TSRW's quality went downwards really quickly, and since that day (which might be almost a year ago) They still didn't seem to fix it. It also manages to corrupt most creations, especially build mode objects. Does your windows looks the same as in this post?:http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...workshop-crash/

You could give the TSRW version (I am still making CC projects with) that still works and doesn't corrupt most downloads you're working on: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...005426/tsrw-172
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2016 at 12:38 AM
I started completely over with your older version (thanks for that, by the way). Unfortunately it didn't seem to fix the problem. The frame still disappears and despite the wall mask appearing correct in TSR Workshop it's covered in holes when in game. I haven't been able to get pictures as the game crashes every time I try to place it.
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 11th Mar 2016 at 3:39 PM
Hairstyles seem to have this issue too if a package has something that either shouldn't be there (like something isn't finished in some sort of coding), if there aren't any bones or something isn't added in the 'comment' (which usually happens if you're making hairstyles the old way, with DaBoobs) but this is about windows, though both aren't really far apart of them. Right now, i'm kind of out of ideas because I can't look at it myself, but What if you add the bones customly in Milkshape? If you're lost on how to do that, here is a video: https://youtu.be/-llEzJO93Hs?t=13m23s
You'll need to have a reference mesh which you can have by exporting EA's window as WSO. It will have the bones with it and what you basically do is import the mesh in Milkshape, delete the EA windows, import your mesh, and go to the bones tab to assign the groups one by one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 11:15 PM
I don't understand the part about regrouping. If I do that like it says in the video, I'm left at the end with two groups and can't open it back up in TS3 Workshop. Is that deliberate or am I misunderstanding it?
Virtual gardener
#8 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 11:31 PM
The creator regrouped the mesh because it were pieces that he/she didn't regroup in the 3D program he/she made it in. I take it you already regrouped pieces of what was necessary. I'm not sure if your TSRW tells you to import the 2 groups or wants you to import a WSO file with the 2 groups in it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 11:55 PM
It will only import a WSO file if it has the same number of groups as what I'm using as the base. So if the 3-tile window that I'm using has 5 groups, it won't accept anything with more or less than that.