Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 6:26 PM
Default Increasing cubemap detail?
Would it be theoretically possible to increase the resolution the game generates cubemap images at? I've noticed that they are extremely low res (that's Champs les Sims) and even if they only were like 4 times larger than they are, that would make many objects look significantly better - think glasses' reflections, cars, and that one fridge from Generations that has a huge mirror in it.

- Pi

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 8:13 PM
It should, but I think EA made them this little because you don't want your game to be 12GB or higher just because of all textures being 1024x1024... at least, in 2009 that would be a bad thing. Which is probably the reason why most object/furniture textures are 256x256. Anyways, I don't think there is 'just' a texture for it, but some sort of shader setting. I might be wrong about this. i'm not sure if someone did this already, or knows where to find this (if it is) texture. But it would be an awesome idea to apply! Because these glasses does look horrible with this quality.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
It should, but I think EA made them this little because you don't want your game to be 12GB or higher just because of all textures being 1024x1024... at least, in 2009 that would be a bad thing. Which is probably the reason why most object/furniture textures are 256x256. Anyways, I don't think there is 'just' a texture for it, but some sort of shader setting. I might be wrong about this. i'm not sure if someone did this already, or knows where to find this (if it is) texture. But it would be an awesome idea to apply! Because these glasses does look horrible with this quality.

Well, the game obviously generates cubemaps on the go - each room has one, so they can't be pre-made. That means there is a script or value somewhere that controls the resolution the cubemaps are rendered in. I don't know what files contain the graphical engine's data, but I would fancy playing around with that data.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 6:51 PM
*bump*
I would expect the generated cubemaps to be somewhere in the save files, the .nhd files which contain lot compositors et cetera.
Even if it's not possible to make the game generate larger cubemaps, it should at least be possible to modify the existing cubemaps. Now if only I could find them.

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 8:46 AM
Hmm I don't think they're exactly textures. In fact, I think it's an in-game camera displaying it on the shader itself. Or, well a script that helps out on the shader's part. (I do know they're there, just haven't really looked into it). So you could check out the "shaders" script, or something with shaders. I remember seeing it somewhere, though it might just have a different name.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Hmm I don't think they're exactly textures. In fact, I think it's an in-game camera displaying it on the shader itself. Or, well a script that helps out on the shader's part. (I do know they're there, just haven't really looked into it). So you could check out the "shaders" script, or something with shaders. I remember seeing it somewhere, though it might just have a different name.

I wouldn't know where to find that, but I'd love to know.

insert signature here