Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 11:38 PM
Default Adding New/More Interactions to Multitasking?
I hope this is the right place to ask. If not, I apologize and please move me to the correct place.

This is more of a two-step question.

First, what I am seeking to try and do is add actions/interactions that normally are not included under the "multitasking" code (such as "Talk on Phone" while also "Hug", as a silly, random example) into the multitasking code so that more actions can be done simultaneously. I'm honestly not even sure this is possible. I, personally, haven't seen any mods that do this. What I want to know is: Is this possible?

And, second, if it is possible, how would I go about coding for that? I'm not sure which type of code deals directly with multitasking (XML? Maybe?) Would I need to look into Python or an even more extensive code to get the results that I want?

I guess, I'm hoping someone who knows more about the depths of Sims 4 code will be able to tell me how much of a pipe dream this sort of mod is, or, at the very least, which code I need to start becoming a guru in to be able to accomplish it if it could be possible.

As details about my skill level: I can read and modify other's code mostly just fine (Python is proving trickier than the C languages and XML, but I'm getting there!) and I understand the very basics of most the main codes most used in mod CC in the Sims series, but will need to pick up a tutorial to really be able to code my own mod. I'm fine with doing that and am a quick learner, I just want to start learning the code(s) most useful to what I want to do first rather than fiddle with ALL of them at once. I would be fine learning the code once I knew which one(s) to look into and have taken a couple Computer Science courses in college. I have no doubt I would be able to, eventually, figure it out even if it were complex, but I am incredibly new to Sims 4 Modding and not entirely sure exactly where to start.

Honestly, any help is appreciated. If I haven't been very clear on what I want, or there's something that needs clarifying, please don't hesitate to ask. Sometimes I think I've said something in a way that others can understand and then it turns out I haven't.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 10:38 AM
All interactions are defined (and mostly also coded) through XML in this game, so my advice would be to look at the XML's that define the multitask interactions (for instance drinking, watching tv) and see what sets them apart from non-multitask interactions (e.g. hugging).

I think the biggest challenge would be the animations. The Sims team has hinted on occasion that animations eat up a lot of development time because they need to make sure there are animations for every possible multitask combination and emotional state. So while I think it would be perfectly possible to recategorize a hug as a multitask interaction, the animations won't exist for it and it'll produce unexpected results.

This space intentionally left blank...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 6:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukael
All interactions are defined (and mostly also coded) through XML in this game...I think the biggest challenge would be the animations... while I think it would be perfectly possible to recategorize a hug as a multitask interaction, the animations won't exist for it and it'll produce unexpected results.

This is what I had been thinking all along, I just needed it confirmed--thank you! I always thought that the animations would be the trickiest part if it were possible to reprogram what is considered a "multitasking" action (as long as the coding wouldn't require a complete upheaval of the game code, that is). As you said, adding hugging in with another interaction that also involves hands/arms would most likely produce a wonky result. That said, I'm kinda glad all interactions are programmed in XML--it's always been a little easier for me to understand and modify. I'll start looking at the XML coding here in a little bit (it's nearly midnight here and I'm starting to doze off) and see what I can figure out from the multitasking vs. non-multitasking interactions. Thank you, again, for pointing me in the right direction!