Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2016 at 6:54 PM
Default Best Program for Meshing?
Hi all,

I have been using Milkshape. However, I've heard it's not the best option. So witch program would be most recommended?
Thanks
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd May 2016 at 8:13 PM
I have no clue why anyone would say this..I use Milkshape since the sims original, and I am still having a great time using it. I LOVE texture mapping with it, and appreciate that no other program is needed for this..I never liked UVMapper.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd May 2016 at 8:31 PM
MilkShape is one of the easiest programs to use for The Sims, and it's also inexpensive. There are other options out there, but keep in mind that you might not be able to get as much help (since many meshers just use MilkShape).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd May 2016 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
MilkShape is one of the easiest programs to use for The Sims, and it's also inexpensive. There are other options out there, but keep in mind that you might not be able to get as much help (since many meshers just use MilkShape).

Oh. Then I don't really understand, why am I always hearing that Milkshape doesn't have as many options? For example I found this here:
http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ima...SR_WORKSHOP.pdf

And my question is , do most VERY talented mesher's usually use milkshape?
Thanks!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd May 2016 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I have no clue why anyone would say this..I use Milkshape since the sims original, and I am still having a great time using it. I LOVE texture mapping with it, and appreciate that no other program is needed for this..I never liked UVMapper.

I'm sorry but, there is a difference with texture mapping and UVmapping? Oooh I didn't know that!
Thanks!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd May 2016 at 8:49 PM

Do you have any creations?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd May 2016 at 9:04 PM
But anyways, thanks! I really wanted to get out of that doubt.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd May 2016 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 98675
...And my question is , do most VERY talented mesher's usually use milkshape?
Thanks!

I consider myself quite talented, and I use it. Make of this, whatever you want...

I'm sorry but, there is a difference with texture mapping and UVmapping? Oooh I didn't know that! Thanks!

UVMapper is the name of a program that maps textures on meshes.
texture mapping is the same thing.
There is a built in texture mapper, yes, I am allowed to invent word, in Milkshape 3D
I have written a tutorial about mapping with Milkshape, you can find it at TSR under rose-maman. This is me.
Or I can just link it here .

Do you have any creations?

Plenty! but I am an egoist who do not upload and keep all her goodies to herself, with some exceptions.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd May 2016 at 10:20 PM
I consider myself quite talented, and I use it. Make of this, whatever you want...
Alright yeah thanks for clearing that up.

UVMapper is the name of a program that maps textures on meshes.
texture mapping is the same thing.
There is a built in texture mapper, yes, I am allowed to invent word, in Milkshape 3D
I have written a tutorial about mapping with Milkshape, you can find it at TSR under rose-maman. This is me.
Or I can just link it here .

Oh okay. Perfect!

Plenty! but I am an egoist who do not upload and keep all her goodies to herself, with some exceptions.

Haha! Oh well it's good to keep things that make you happy to yourself sometimes

What type of creations are they?

Also thanks for the link, I took a quick look at it and shall use it as my guide!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd May 2016 at 10:53 PM
I create pretty much anything. I made hair, but realized others were way better at it than I was, so hair is something I will download.
Cars I never tried yet, but same as above..there are amazing car creators, so I decided not to bother, and download them instead.
I make furnitures and all kinds of objects. I can mod/hack.
I make clothes, accessories, walls & floor.
recolors of course, invisible ones too..my favorite.
And as you now saw, I also wrote turorials.
And one rule I have : don't touch anyone else's creation. I only use EAXIS meshes and textures.
I had peek in other creator's work, to see how it was done. But once I know, I make my own.

And you are very welcome!
That tutorial was written a long time ago. But should still be actual..

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd May 2016 at 11:24 PM
I create pretty much anything. I made hair, but realized others were way better at it than I was, so hair is something I will download.
Cars I never tried yet, but same as above..there are amazing car creators, so I decided not to bother, and download them instead.
I make furnitures and all kinds of objects. I can mod/hack.
I make clothes, accessories, walls & floor.
recolors of course, invisible ones too..my favorite.
And as you now saw, I also wrote turorials.
And one rule I have : don't touch anyone else's creation. I only use EAXIS meshes and textures.
I had peek in other creator's work, to see how it was done. But once I know, I make my own.

And you are very welcome!
That tutorial was written a long time ago. But should still be actual..

Oh WOW!
And how long would you say it took you to be good at it? :o

Also, when you created hair for example, did you use plains or cylinders?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd May 2016 at 12:58 AM
Oh WOW!
And how long would you say it took you to be good at it? :o

Also, when you created hair for example, did you use plains or cylinders?

Oh...I do not know. But I liked it so much that I got the hang of it fast.
Editing maxi hair, pretty sure I used plains. But I do not have much experience for hair.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd May 2016 at 8:02 PM
Editing maxi hair, pretty sure I used plains. But I do not have much experience for hair.

Ooh alright. Have you been doing it for years now?

Though, from the little you did, why was it easier to use planes? Don't cylinders have all faces set?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd May 2016 at 9:59 PM Last edited by 98675 : 23rd May 2016 at 10:28 PM.

Oh, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZdeMx7oS8

It seems to have easier options, however I wouldn't dare and try if there are no sim tutorials for it :O
But it seems like you can simply seperate a jointed shape. Is that ''Unweld'' in milkshape? For some reason Unweld doesn't work for me.

Mabye you can do this in milkshape. I don't think I'm doing it right...

Like here you can make such smooth shapes, and to do that in Milkshape you'd need lot's of vertices witch shlows the game down right?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd May 2016 at 10:59 PM
Also, is it normal for milkshape to crash? Recently since I've clicked on ''select all'' it crashes. Also when I select by joint (I was just fiddling around with that one)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd May 2016 at 11:01 PM
Like I said, I don't have much experience making hair meshes. But plains for me made it a bit easier. I will map my texture on it first, then shape the plain afterwards. As it is easier to map on a flat surface than it is after it has all kinds of shapes. Same reason why I did not work with cylindre. Once done, i would simply duplicate that plain and turn it around (invert vertex order) and stick it reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaal close the the first one. So both sides are visible.
Animating hair was fun though it's been too long!
For hair meshing, you'd be better off taking advices from a real experienced simmer..

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:32 PM
Like I said, I don't have much experience making hair meshes. But plains for me made it a bit easier. I will map my texture on it first, then shape the plain afterwards. As it is easier to map on a flat surface than it is after it has all kinds of shapes. Same reason why I did not work with cylindre. Once done, i would simply duplicate that plain and turn it around (invert vertex order) and stick it reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaal close the the first one. So both sides are visible.
For hair meshing, you'd be better off taking advices from a real experienced simmer..

Oh really? But after shaping it, wouldn't you have to UV map it again?
Haha sorry!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:47 PM Last edited by 98675 : 24th May 2016 at 8:30 PM.

Here's the thing about planes for me, so you can make it visible from both front and back, but if you want to do the side, you'd need another group, and when I try to blend those, it looks quite oh so very rather blocky...
The other thing is that I try by making the sides move foward so it covers the side area, but the shading is much darker then it should be.

Well anyways thanks!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th May 2016 at 3:55 PM
Oh really? But after shaping it, wouldn't you have to UV map it again?
Haha sorry!

No. Once the texture is mapped to your likings on the plain, no need to remap it.

Here's the thing about planes for me, so you can make it visible from both front and back, but if you want to do the side, you'd need another group, and when I try to blend those, it looks quite oh so very rather blocky...
The other thing is that I try by making the sides move foward so it covers the side area, but the shading is much darker then it should be.

Well anyways thanks!

Plains must have enough rows of vertices to allow you moving them to the sides, when you need them to be. Align normal should help with the too dark problem. But I'd rather use more plains, smaller ones for the front, and leaving the sides ones for the sides..back one for the back etc.
Me no expert!
But you'll often see this was used when you open a hair mesh from a creator you like.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th May 2016 at 8:27 PM
No. Once the texture is mapped to your likings on the plain, no need to remap it.

Plains must have enough rows of vertices to allow you moving them to the sides, when you need them to be. Align normal should help with the too dark problem. But I'd rather use more plains, smaller ones for the front, and leaving the sides ones for the sides..back one for the back etc.
Me no expert!
But you'll often see this was used when you open a hair mesh from a creator you like.

Oooh alright. Thanks that REALLY helps actually!

Just a question though,
I once tried to open another's mesh to study it, however it only opened what I'm assuming was their original GMDC export (Maxis Mesh).
Is there a certain way to open one?

Thanks

EDIT: OOH and another thing WHUPS...
When you do a different plane to the first one... Do you simply move it close, or do you MERGE those top vertices together?
Sorry I understand your not familiar with it all... Of course nowhere near as me hah.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 26th May 2016 at 11:59 PM
Oooh alright. Thanks that REALLY helps actually!

Just a question though,
I once tried to open another's mesh to study it, however it only opened what I'm assuming was their original GMDC export (Maxis Mesh).
Is there a certain way to open one?

You should end up having their edited mesh, the same one that shows up in game. How did you end up with the maxi one? I could not tell...it should not be in their package.

EDIT: OOH and another thing WHUPS...
When you do a different plane to the first one... Do you simply move it close, or do you MERGE those top vertices together?
Sorry I understand your not familiar with it all... Of course nowhere near as me hah.

I cannot recall what I would have done..lol
We are talking about front & back of a mesh, right? so both sides shows?
I would not *snap together* no. I would just let them like that. Anyway, both plane are so close to eachother...
Once all done though, you will regroup all individual groups together, as in..all group 1 regrouped, all group 2 regroup etc...but you knew that...
Sorry for the names of the groups..I cannot recall either!!! ahah, some have more than others.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th May 2016 at 6:33 PM
You should end up having their edited mesh, the same one that shows up in game. How did you end up with the maxi one? I could not tell...it should not be in their package.

I cannot recall what I would have done..lol
We are talking about front & back of a mesh, right? so both sides shows?
I would not *snap together* no. I would just let them like that. Anyway, both plane are so close to eachother...
Once all done though, you will regroup all individual groups together, as in..all group 1 regrouped, all group 2 regroup etc...but you knew that...
Sorry for the names of the groups..I cannot recall either!!! ahah, some have more than others.

Hm. I'm going to try again.

Alright. So for example, If I Have (The front part) of a hair mesh, and I would like to add something like a little string of hair going on with a different curve. So we have the base, right? then we add ANOTHER plane thats really small, to match just a few strings of hair. Once I place the plane, do I make it go THROUGH the base mesh, and then let stand out, OR Make the whole thing stand outside the base EXCEPT the few top vertices, witch I MERGE with the top few vertices of the base mesh?

Sorry if it's a ridiculous question ,hehe :P
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th May 2016 at 6:25 PM
It depends on where does this strings of hair goes...you could place it under...it really depends. I don't think there is a *rule of thumb*

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 29th May 2016 at 8:52 PM
It depends on where does this strings of hair goes...you could place it under...it really depends. I don't think there is a *rule of thumb*

Okay thanks! Haha, sorry for the abundant questions :D
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th May 2016 at 12:42 AM
Smart ones questions.
I won't get bothered by smart ones! ahah!

Page 1 of 2