Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#51 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 4:53 PM
Oh no!those files are a bit like specular maps, etc. Since objects doesn't support bump maps (normal maps in this case) you can delete the blue looking textures. The other two, well I guess the one that has the texture that looks the most like the ship will be your diffuse. Though since this ship is originally splitted in two, the UV map is different each ground. So you need to join those parts together and redo the UV map. So I guess the first method that I suggested would have been better for this.
The : "I've converted a lot over the year and what helped me out was using the original texture (if you have that one) And apply it on yours, but of course since I changed the UV mapping, you should probably do the 'selecting, copy/cut paste' like I usually do."

And with copy paste I mean pieces of the texture.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 9:27 PM
When I get the chance tonight I'll attempt the copy-paste method; see where I can get. I have a feeling it won't go too well, but who knows. That other thing you said about joining parts and uv maps on different grounds makes very little sense to me. O.O
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 1:43 AM
Any chance you'd be willing to take a shot at it? I've got something started, but I can't quite get everything to fit into the lines correctly. I'm going to continue and see how it looks once I've finished most of it, but I get the feeling it's going to look pretty bad. I don't know if it would be easier doing it on the mesh the textures go with; but like usual, I can't seem to get the UV mapping to work properly. If you'd even just be willing to try remapping that for me, I'd try texturing it myself. If you do remap it, would you be able to take some step-by-step photos to show me how you do your UV mapping? It might help me understand what I'm doing wrong so that I can later do this on my own without having to bug you constantly. I feel bad for continually asking things as I know you surely have your own projects to work on, as well as real life to deal with. Feel free to say no to anything, I won't be offended.

Edit: I definitely don't think I can use the first model we tried with these textures; the proportions of different parts aren't correct and won't fit where they are supposed to. At least, the parts I've tried haven't.
Virtual gardener
#54 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OkamiFukuro
Any chance you'd be willing to take a shot at it? I've got something started, but I can't quite get everything to fit into the lines correctly. I'm going to continue and see how it looks once I've finished most of it, but I get the feeling it's going to look pretty bad. I don't know if it would be easier doing it on the mesh the textures go with; but like usual, I can't seem to get the UV mapping to work properly. If you'd even just be willing to try remapping that for me, I'd try texturing it myself. If you do remap it, would you be able to take some step-by-step photos to show me how you do your UV mapping? It might help me understand what I'm doing wrong so that I can later do this on my own without having to bug you constantly. I feel bad for continually asking things as I know you surely have your own projects to work on, as well as real life to deal with. Feel free to say no to anything, I won't be offended.

Edit: I definitely don't think I can use the first model we tried with these textures; the proportions of different parts aren't correct and won't fit where they are supposed to. At least, the parts I've tried haven't.

I guess my post about 'copy/paste' is a bit vague. I actually used the trick in one of my tutorials here: https://youtu.be/ZLEMhKQ1OD0?t=1m40s
I had to add the body to the clothing which are, in your case, two groups as well that shouldn't overlap each other. Now at the end of part 1 that's all explained but part to gives you the idea of what I meant with 'copy/paste' and the same method can be used for objects like these as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#55 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 11:07 PM
What's shown at that timestamp is what I was attempting to do. The problem is that the parts don't properly fit the first mesh we played around with. The sizing, design and distance of parts on the mesh are different to those on the textures. The shapes are different and parts won't properly match up, which means I can't really use the TS2 model. I would use the one from the original XNALara Intrepid model, but the UV map is all screwy (at least, from what I can tell).
Virtual gardener
#56 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 10:43 AM
Yeah that's reasonable that the ts2 UV doesn't fit the texture since I remapped the entire UV map because else things wouldn't look... allright. But I have no idea what plugin or import/export way you use but I can tell this model's uv map (xnalara model) didn't have a screwed up uv map at all. If you joined them together, the two group pieces, then there is a high change that you overlap both uv maps from both models. You can see they both have a different uv Map and that's why they use both two different textures which can be found within the folder I sent you. (Not the blue looking texture, but all the white looking ones).

That's why I sent the tutorial to get a view on how they're done and you can't leave them just like they are or merge them together just like they are since the model will look nothing like it should be. Part one explains the remapping, though i had to do it over so the part isn't quite clear. Yet I haven't seen any other tutorial having either a good explanation on UV mapping as people tend to make the entire uv map smaller since they don't really get why they should delete certain parts. (this is a CASpart)

but what I would do, is go to the UV mapping screen in Blender, select group one, make it thinner in width, (like scale it to the half of the uv map field in width) and do the same with the other group.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#57 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 2:46 PM
There are three groups to the XNALara model. I was able to get a multiplier made, but the problem is, it doesn't work in TSRW. That's why I thought the UV map might have been messed up.

In order to make a multiplier I did have to combine all 3 parts into one and make the multiplier from that, so that may be the issue. I couldn't figure out how to map three seperate pieces onto the same image.
Virtual gardener
#58 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 3:55 PM
You sorted the groups in Milkshape in the right order? Like this:

Group 0
group 1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#59 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 4:07 PM
Yep. Each of the three pieces is separated into groups from 0-2. Any shadow mesh I would add to put it into TSRW would be group 3, but I'll do that after the multiplier. If you go back to the last post on page 2 you can see the multiplier I made up, and how it looked, if you're curious.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#60 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 5:56 PM
So, one thing i have discovered is that if I import the mesh and then the intrepid 1 texture file, it shows up properly on the ship, which is interesting. However, that leaves the other two parts with incorrect textures. If I try to import the image I made that has all 3 on it (one in each corner) it just sets the textures randomly all over the place (or in the case of the image I showed, the back end is hidden by shadow textures due to the mesh I imported over). Any ideas on a way to make this method work?
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
#61 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 7:14 PM
That's what I meant with the groups. The end part is the second group and if you would join these two meshes you need to remap them, else the end will stay like this. Since it seems you're only using one texture from the beginning of the ship, while the end part of the ship also needs to be in one UV map to make it properly work. So you need to join those two pieces in Blender and remap them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 10:34 PM
Hmm... okay. I think I understand. I need to combine the meshes for the back of the ship and the nacelles into one, and then remap them. (If I can get it to work properly.) And then what? Combine all three of the texture files into one big one so that each section qill have the correct texture?
Virtual gardener
#63 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OkamiFukuro
Hmm... okay. I think I understand. I need to combine the meshes for the back of the ship and the nacelles into one, and then remap them. (If I can get it to work properly.) And then what? Combine all three of the texture files into one big one so that each section qill have the correct texture?

Then you export the uv map layout from Blender and from there you place the pieces of the texture on the uv pieces in GIMP or Photoshop as explained in that video tutorial I sent you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 2:04 AM
Right. Right. I can't believe my mind didn't make that connection. I'm still not sure how to do the re-mapping exactly, but I'll give it try. Last time when I tried reseaming things it didn't work, so we'll see how this goes. Chances are I'll have to ask for assistance, but I'll let you know what happens either way.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#65 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 5:11 PM
There must be something I'm doing wrong. I managed to get it reseamed, but things still didn't show up right. Do you think it would be better just to combine all three parts as one and remap that? I'd probably need your help for that though.
Virtual gardener
#66 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 9:58 PM
That's actually how it's done. adding them together, remapping it by scaling it down or something and that's about it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#67 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:28 PM
Okay... I'll give it a try. Last time I tried that with a different model nothing about the uv mapping changed, which is why I popped back in here to ask for assistance. I'll see how it works this time and go from there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#68 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 2:38 AM
Is this sort of what you were wanting me to to do? I haven't unwrapped the mesh yet; I'm just moving around the base uv map when in edit mode. I realize you said before to move the textures, but I decided to try this since unwrapping the mesh to make at least a base multiplier wasn't working correctly.
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
#69 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 1:36 PM
That's how you do it! I guess if you're familiar with Blender's edit mode (like making it scale, rotate, etc) the same settings work with UV maps. So you can select the parts outside that texture and add those to the correct texture piece as you did there. I guess you still have to join the back to the front part? You can do that by selecting them both in edit mode and use the shortcut: Ctrl +J
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 4:27 PM
I have all three pieces joined; I just separated all the uv maps before I joined them so I wouldn't end up with a jumbled bunch of mesh that I'd have to sort through. I might have to switch to placing the textures on the maps though; it's kind of awkward to scale things. However, I'm not sure how I would switch over. Would I unwrap the mesh and then try to add textures?

Also, I'm worried that this won't work correctly in TSRW. I'm fairly certain I tried spreading the uv maps for each piece out like that to match each section of texture, unwrapped and baked it and it still didn't come out right.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#71 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 1:12 AM
I can't get the other pieces to match up correct, either mesh or texture. >.< I hate to ask and sound so useless and dependent, but would you be willing to give a shot whenever you get the chance? The multiplier I just made has all the pieces lined up with the textures; but like before, once baked and imported into TSRW, it doesn't work properly. (Don't mind the glass part in the one picture; I imported as a test over something with a glass group and I have no idea how to fix that, not that it will matter after I import the single group mesh)
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
#72 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 2:38 PM
... What exactly did you clone, because for some reason your seems to have a glass shader to it.

I don't mind taking a look at it though! Sometimes it's just TSRW being really unnecessarily stupid.

But! do make sure you set them in this order in Milkshape:

group 0
group 1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#73 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 3:51 PM
I just cloned a random object just to test out the multiplier. It was one of the arcade tables, I think. I don't plan on using that to import later; it was just the only thing I found with four mesh groups, since the ship was in three parts plus the shadow mesh.

And yeah, that is how I have the groups set up in MS. Thanks for taking a look at this for me.
Virtual gardener
#74 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 5:17 PM
Wait the ship is a decor object. if you would use a table as cloned object well... your ship will act like a table. So make sure you clone something that is identical to the function of your creation.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#75 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 5:39 PM
Right, I know. I was just using the table as a test. I'll probably just use a generic sculpture or something for the final object.
Page 3 of 7