Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 10:25 AM Last edited by linesa : 28th Aug 2016 at 9:14 PM.
Default Can't find the gemstones in S3OC/Problem with making a statue
Hello :D

I plan to create a statue, and I'll need the mesh of a gemstone, but I can't find it, no matter if I type the name of the gem or the cut, I get no result or if I get a result, it's not what I'm looking for.

For example, I typed blood, bloodstone to find the bloodstone gem and tried skull and plumbbob to find the cut, and I didn't find what I was looking for :/

I then tried to look for them with TSRW version 2.0.172.0 and I didn't find them either, unless I searched in the wrong section ?

So, what should I do to find the gemstones and their cut ?

In fact, I want to extract a gemstone file as a package to check its shader and other things like texture in TSRW to get an idea of how I should make my gemstone look like if I decide to make a custom one ^^

Oh, and that remind me another question : the statue will be a sims with clothes, hairstyle and all, on a pedestal with the gemstone floating in her hands, so what should the polycount number be in High, Med and Low quality ?

In short, I plan to do that by using a pose tuto with blender for an adult female, then export it as an obj file in Milkshape, putting the statue on a pedestal and next, I'll add the gem in the right place ^^
Of course, I'll rename the groups and fix what's needed with TSRW and Milkshape ^^

I have a last question : since I'll probably have to modify the shader of the gemstone's mesh in TSRW so that it look like a gemstone in game, what should I do, and what shouldn't do ?
I mean, which options should I validate, not validate ? Will I have to change the textures or else too ? If so, which ones ?

It's the first time I may have to play with the shader, so I don't really know what I can do or not with that XD

Or maybe I won't have to modify the shader of the gemstone's mesh in TSRW ?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 1:47 PM
TSRW is pretty limited when it comes to looking things up. S3OC has waay more freedom in that. I had this same issue with the death flower. Not sure how I eventually found it but I did with someone elses help.

The gemstone's shader can be found in S3PE as well. (So there is always a work around when it comes to shaders ^-^): 0xA063C1D0 (Gemstones) I think if you would use this code within TSRW it will work. I'm just not sure if you can copy/paste shaders within TSRW. But that's the right code for the shader.^-^ (I'll link the post when I find it because I can't seem to find it now, about S3PE and shader selecting. It's better than TSRW's).

But I guess if you were planning on sharing it, you could lower the polycount but don't make it really high (Like 60k high) Beause that's just waay too high for an object.

For TSrw's shaders options... Well I guess you do need the gemstone after all. I would write down the settings (or screenshot it). so you know what to delete and what not, because TSRW really good at adding more shader options than necessary.

EDIT: I just realised this, apparently they're variations of each other. But since the game sort of 'converts' it to an object, I guess that's what's going wrong here. And why S3OC isn't seeing them. Anyway, keep the TSRW settings that it generates.

You can if you like, delete the sparkle cube. I don't really see the use of that one, unless you want to animate something. (Like Vampire's Eye, and some other gemstones. It's abit like the plasma fruit. You'll see the veins or something like that).
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 5:21 PM Last edited by linesa : 26th Aug 2016 at 5:52 PM.
All right, thanks for you tips and infos @Greenplumbbob ^^

Don't worry, I'll never do and share something with that amount of polycount ;D

Yes, I would like to see your screenshots if possible, it might be helpful to see better what you mean :D

Ah, ok, maybe they're named differently than diamond/emerald for example, then :o
That make me wonder how I'll find them XD

I found the plumbbob who's over our sim's head with S3OC during my search of the gemstones, maybe I'll use that if I don't find the gems ^^
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 2:14 PM
You could! Although I do know there was another plumbob shader and that one will cause your mesh to turn into circles.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 9:12 PM
He he :D

All right, I tried to make the statue, but I have some problems.

My statues are invisible, only the gem can be seen in game, when everything show up fine in TSRW...
Maybe I should have refused when it asked to deleted a bone ?

I made 2 statues identicals, the only difference is that I added another shadow on the pedestal where the foot of the statue is (statue 1 on the left, I named it Windstatueshadowed for my test ) and enabled the recoloration for the gemstone.
The statue 2 on the right (I named it Windstatueshadowless for the try) only have the shadow on the ground and I didn't enable the recoloration of the gem.

I did that to check if my ideas about adding the shadow on the foot and enabling the recolor of the gems would work and compare with the the statue where I didn't do that ^^

I modified nothing in the Project panel and I would like for the statue to be used indoor and outdoor, be it on a community lot or a residential lot
In game, the statue is found in Decor, Miscellaneous since I didn't check the Sculpture option in the project panel yet, because I first wanted to test if the statues where showing properly ^^

As a base, I used the Clock City in the Micellaneous Decor in TSRW...
Naturally, since only the gem is visible, I can't use the Cast tool to check if enabling the recoloration for the gem on Statue 1 work XD

I added the two workshop files, in case you or someone else want to take a look ^^
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Windstatues test workshop files.rar (936.3 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 10:37 AM
What I think will be the best to do is to clone a gem-alike in S3OC, open the package within TSRW and see if that works out? ALthough your issue seems to be more like this: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...TS3_Meshing_FAQ (My mesh is invisible)

In fact, I think you imported the groups in the wrong order. if you would go to the mesh tab and look at the materials, and see a texture with all these black dots (and white background) it means you accidentally imported the mesh in the wrong group.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 11:08 AM
I checked and I think I did it properly :o

Here's the order in Milkshape and in TSRW :

Group 0 : Clock's body / Statue comprised of the pedestal and the woman
Group 1 : Clock's shadow / Statue's shadow
Group 2 : Clock's glass / Statue's gem

So I think it shouldn't be invisible since it seem to be the right order ?
Virtual gardener
#8 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 8:56 PM
But, do you have a shadow group? Else I would recommend loading a new project, make sure group0 and group 1 are not changed at all. Then, Right+click on group 1 and since you got 3 body groups, I would make 4 groups. But keep group 0 as a shadow map. Because it should.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 10:13 PM
What do you mean ? If i have a fourth group, i wont ne able to load the wso in tsrw, no ?
As i wrote, apparently, the group 1 is the shadow group :o
And the strangest is that i made another try with the showtime'seashell show prop as a base and it worked :o
the groups are like that in this case :
Group 0 shadow for both
Group 1 body for both
Group 2 plumbob for the seashell and gem for the statue.

The only thing is that the gem isn't as shiny as with my test with the clock as a base but it's no big deal
I'll show a pic tomorrow since i'm on my phone.

Do you know a decor item from the base game with 3 groups ?
Maybe it dont work because the clock isn't a good base since the shadow group is the group 1 instead of 0...

And i didn't undertsand : i restart loading the clock as a new project, load the meshes,
but where do i do the right-click on group 1 ? In the mesh tab of tsrw ?

i'll try what you told me tomorrow and share the results :D
Virtual gardener
#10 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 9:36 AM
You want to export the cloned mesh, import that in Milkshape. You'll see a plane mesh. KEEP EVERYTHING THE WAY IT IS FOR THE PLANE! This is the shadow map I was talking about. You can delete the decor mesh (so don't delete the plane). Import your mesh (you can just go with the WSO file you already have). Sort the groups in the right order and now you should have 4 groups.

For adding a new group, you can check this post out: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=571289
You can duplicate as many groups you like. EA even has a object that has over 8 groups, so the game can certainly handle 4 groups. ^-^

Also shadow groups are usually either group 1 or 0. You never really know, but it's likely to be 0, though I usually check which group the shadow mesh is. ^-^
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 12:04 PM
Thank you again for your help :D

I tried what you told me by using the clock as a base but I failed again, probably because I put my groups in the wrong place when I thought I did it right ?
But, I tried again by using the Venus sculpture as a base this time, and it worked like a charm :D

Here's the pics :D
The first was taken indoor and the second outdoor

From left to right :
Attempt with the clock as a base

Attempt with Venus's statue as a base, and I played with the SparkleCube, making the gem shiny like I wanted

Attempt with Venus's statue as a base, but I didn't play with the SparkleCube, so it's not too shiny (it's what I talked about in my previous message when I said that the gem with my attempt using the seashell as a base wasn't as shiny as my attempt with the clock as a base ^^)
Virtual gardener
#12 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 7:43 PM
Looks awesome! I'm glad you got it figured out! Just out of curiousity, did you use a default face mesh and maybe tweaked it a bit?
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 8:09 PM
He he, thank you :D

Yup, I used the default face mesh and I didn't tweak it, I used it as is ^^
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 9:31 AM
I tested by making a giant version of the statue and it work well despite a little detail : if I put tiles on the second floor, the statue is cut unless I remove myself the tiles who pose a problem.

I updated the footprint to 2x2 in TSRW.

How can I do so that the tiles automaticaly avoid the statue on the second floor ?

If it's not possible, it's no big deal, it's just a few tiles to remove by hand after all ^^
I'm just curious to know if there's a way around that ^^

Virtual gardener
#15 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 11:01 AM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 31st Aug 2016 at 11:59 AM.
I think you should expand the bounding box for that? Though I haven't really come across that issue myself, besides resizing statues with some resizing mod. Though, I do know that the levels of houses are actually considered 'layers' in-game. So it will hide everything that's under the level you're currently on.

But if it is the bounding box, which I don't think it is but it's worth checking, here is how you do it:

Make sure you expand visual Proxy and bounding box to unhide the box. You can drag the arrows if needed. But if you exported your mesh correctly, it's probably not needed.

Else I have no idea >-<

EDIT: So I just came across this and I guess this has something to do with the levels of the buildings. Anyway!

open up your package file in S3PE and go to your OBJD file. Click 'grid'
You'll see a list of stuff in the window that's now popping up. This is basically your object data that the game needs so it knows what category it fits in, basically a more advanced screen from TSRW's flags (like selecting if you want it to appear in Miscobjects, decor, etc.)

You'll see something called 'levels' and it's flagged as '0x00000001'. Maybe if you change it to 0x00000002 it might work out? Or maybe even a higher value? it's worth checking out! I''ll check it out as well, since I'm working on a statue that's well... pretty huge for CAW.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 2:22 PM Last edited by linesa : 31st Aug 2016 at 2:47 PM.
That's pretty interesting @Greenplumbbob :D

I updated the boundingbox and even the model boudingbox who's just after the Visual Proxy since when I checked it by curiosity, it was still at the size of the normal sized statue ^^

I also changed the level's flag as you said, and there was no change ^^'

But at least, since I updated the bounding box, it's now impossible to add the statue after I put the floor's tiles once I updated the boundingboxes

So, maybe you're right by saying that the floors are "layers" and it's what affect the statues ?

I'm doing an attempt with cutoutileperlevel with this setting 0x00000004 and levels with this setting 0x00000002 to see if it'll change something

I'll edit this post with the result ^^

[edit]
All right, that thing didn't work, and I think it's what made my game stop functionning when I was building the "house" to check the result :o

Oh well, at least, I tried XD
Virtual gardener
#17 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 3:14 PM
Might sound weird but maybe changing it to 0x40000000 or something might work. Else its defenitly EA's fault. >-<
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 3:57 PM
I tried that too, and it didn't work either XD

So as you say, it's probably EA's fault XD
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 5:54 PM Last edited by linesa : 4th Sep 2016 at 6:17 PM.
All right, to experiment, I made a mini version of the statue so it could be put on various things like displays, shelves, tables and things like that.

I checked Fullrotation and Small in the SlotPlacementFlags sections of TSRW and it work fine.
But when I also check Medium and Large so that I can put my statue on any item with these slots available (be it table, shelf, display), it don't work, is it normal ?

For example, a shelf have only a small or medium slot available from what I saw with TSRW, and I couldn't put it on it.
I should be able to put it here, since I checked the 3 slot placement, no ? :o

Or maybe I should just check Small and Large ?
Unless I'm mistaking, and I can't check the 3 slot placement at the same time, I can just chose one ?
Virtual gardener
#20 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 8:19 PM
I think those objects have scripts attached to them that make the slots work better. To not have to make a whole script, you can easily open the package that does have the correct working slots. You want to right+click the OBJK and click 'edit OBJK'

(The option is available when you install the S3PE addon: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...s/859/index.htm. Extract them with 7zip NOT winrar, it will corrupt the files)

Then you see a line that's called 'script' with a path looking like this: Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.(ANY OTHER NAME) copy that line and close the package.

Now open the file that doens't have the correct slots, and open up it's OBJK file and remove what's in the Script tab and paste the line you just copied from the package with the correct slots. then just save the package ^-^

You should do the same thing with objects that TSRW says you can flag as 'drag to inventory' (not that this is the correct name). In game you will be able to drag it around, but won't be able to put it in your sim's inventory. That's why it's good to check out if this works out.

Else you could try exporting the FTPT file from the package with the working slots, open up the package with the not working slots and click it's FTPT, Right+click and then use 'replace' (NOT IMPORT!!), and save it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 9:26 AM Last edited by linesa : 5th Sep 2016 at 12:28 PM.
I modified the OBJK script of the statue using the sculptureTableUnivPaintbrushes's as a base and it worked :D

But now, since the TableUniv don't have the "look at" option for my sims, the statue don't have that interaction anymore, it's a mere decor object like the TableUniv object :o

And I can't put the item in the inventory of my sims, how to do that ? I didn't see the option in TSRW and in S3pe, unless I didn't check well enough ^^'

Is there a way to fix that ? If not, it's no big deal, I'm still really happy I got it to work the way I wanted it on the various tables, shelves and display ^^

And that make me think, if I use the script of an EP item, will it work if someone who only have the base game get my statue ?

[Edit]

The trick with the FTPT file worked too and I even have the option for my sims to look at :D
I again used the sculptureTableUnivPaintbrushes as a base
Now, I just need to make it draggable in the sim's inventory ^^

Oh, and my question about the use of the script of an EP item is the same, but with the FTPT file instead ^^
Virtual gardener
#22 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 5:55 PM
Hmmm i'm not sure about that one actually, since I own every EP. I do know it get's updated regulary (or back then when the sims was still in production), to add more 'EP data' to it, even before release of the EP. So it might? Though I do find scripts of SP that I don't own right in the game script data files, so I think it might work for people who don't own that one EP or SP the project is for. In fact, I got a lot of CC that was meant for a particular SP but it just shows the SP icon somehow and just works like it should.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 6:31 PM
All right, thank you for your infos :D