Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 114 (Who?), Viewed: 41094 times.
Page 2 of 5
Test Subject
#26 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:20 PM
I saw an interview some time back with Morgan Freeman, not sure if it was the same one, but he never said people shouldn't worry about one form of violence because another form of violence is the real problem, he said people shouldn't make one form of violence more important than another, that the violent death of any black man was unacceptable whether by the police or not.

What I want to know is why do many of our protests start off with real grievances and often end in violence, destruction of property and looting? What happens then is that those (often people of other races) who stood in solidarity and support immediately distance themselves from the ruckus, step back and think 'here we go again', and regardless of how desperately important the cause, the entire group is discredited by their own actions. Call it cherry picking if you like but unfortunately, the bad acts of a few will always discredit the entire group, that's just how it is and how it will always be. We shouldn't be giving them reason to judge in the first place.
Instructor
#27 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:34 PM
So, I'm ducking out of this thread. I'm pretty sure the person that originally started it just wanted to source alt-right racist opinions that coincide with his own pre-conceived notions on the topic of Black Lives Matter. This is not a debate thread. It is a few individuals that are committed to denigrating a movement with genuine grievances against law enforcement. I will have no part of it, and shame on anyone that panders to this race baiting alt-right anti-intellectualism that is based on nothing more than fear, bigotry, and dishonesty.
Instructor
#28 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 7:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyBee
So, I'm ducking out of this thread. I'm pretty sure the person that originally started it just wanted to source alt-right racist opinions that coincide with his own pre-conceived notions on the topic of Black Lives Matter. This is not a debate thread. It is a few individuals that are committed to denigrating a movement with genuine grievances against law enforcement. I will have no part of it, and shame on anyone that panders to this race baiting alt-right anti-intellectualism that is based on nothing more than fear, bigotry, and dishonesty.


Interesting that you say that, considering I'm politically left (I assume you were lumping me into the "alt-right" group). I guess I'm just not "left enough" for you.

I believe in equality - not a complete inversion of social structure.
Test Subject
#29 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 8:11 PM
I grew up under the horrors of apartheid so if anyone knows what racism looks like its me! So, my dear, I am certainly NOT ANYWHERE NEAR to being an 'alt-right racist'!

You obviously have very strong opinions about the topic, and that's your prerogative, but I find your post and name calling offensive......and rather surprising considering you didn't really contribute much to the discussion. Its exactly that kind of self righteous over-reaction that does more harm than good to any cause! So yes, I think you are right to duck out, its just a pity you didn't leave quietly because it really wasn't necessary to make a big announcement.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 8:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzie
I saw an interview some time back with Morgan Freeman, not sure if it was the same one, but he never said people shouldn't worry about one form of violence because another form of violence is the real problem, he said people shouldn't make one form of violence more important than another, that the violent death of any black man was unacceptable whether by the police or not.
If that's what he said, that's a different story and a good point.

Quote:
What I want to know is why do many of our protests start off with real grievances and often end in violence, destruction of property and looting? What happens then is that those (often people of other races) who stood in solidarity and support immediately distance themselves from the ruckus, step back and think 'here we go again', and regardless of how desperately important the cause, the entire group is discredited by their own actions. Call it cherry picking if you like but unfortunately, the bad acts of a few will always discredit the entire group, that's just how it is and how it will always be. We shouldn't be giving them reason to judge in the first place.
The thing is that there's no way to exclude all the bad apples, in any group, ever. We're never going to get rid of all the bad protesters or all the bad police officers, or all the bad in any group. The best anyone can do is decry those bad acts, but ultimately everyone is an individual, and some of those individuals will cause trouble, either through a misguided view that it will help the situation, through frustration, or because they just happen to be looking for any excuse to be destructive and violent.

The bad acts of a few don't always discredit entire groups in everyone's eyes. There are a lot of people who work hard to rise above the prejudiced and simplistic "us vs. them" style thought process, and stand up for what they believe is right. That's the reason we've made as much progress as we have. And if you (general you) think a group's rights are being violated, but then you change your mind because of the way some of them acted, you need to do some self examination of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
Interesting that you say that, considering I'm politically left (I assume you were lumping me into the "alt-right" group). I guess I'm just not "left enough" for you.

I believe in equality - not a complete inversion of social structure.
While I can't speak for that other person, I will say that I believe the OP poisoned the well with this:

Quote:
But silly me, I'm not allowed to question this kind of stuff! I'm white! I'm just supposed to sit down, shut up, and be the apologetic "yes man" to the criminals who go around burning down cities, looting stores, and killing cops in the name of this movement.


Nobody said anything even sort of like that. So, at best, this is a rant about something someone who isn't even here said in the past, and not a debate. At worst, it's ignoring actual positions other posters are taking in order to accuse them of being racists.
Instructor
#31 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 1:30 AM
I'm going to simply ask for facts (the greatest enemy of all SJWs); where is your evidence of a disproportional rate of police brutality toward black people?
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#32 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 2:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
No matter who he is, if you accurately summarized his point, and he said people shouldn't worry about one form of violence because another form of violence is the real problem, his opinion is ridiculous. We should be working to eliminate all forms of injustice, although it's part of the human condition, so we'll never truly succeed.


I shouldn't really keep reading these threads, generally I avoid them. But just to defend Morgan Freeman, I thought he gave a well thought out argument backed up by facts. He never said one form of violence was okay, he was pointing out that a much bigger problem was being ignored.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#33 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 5:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
However the vast majority of these cases of 'policy brutality' are not actually police brutality, but instead self-defense. The group them makes it out to be a racial problem.


The main problem is that anything is made into such problems, regardless of they are real racial problems or just alternatives for first worst problems. It sounds perfectly like what's happening here, only without the violence. Simply, because

- we aren't an agressive and violent people in the first, despite being in war with and occupied by half of Europe in thousands of years, and having a lot of pretty black pages in our history in some aspects. That was no pun intended. No standard hatred towards our own government at that rate
- weapons aren't that easy accessible as in the USA, where even mentally unstable suspects watched by the FBI can buy a gun without any problem, with horrible results (Orlando)
- even with some social problems, we don't have third world like ghetto's with all of their typical problems

Aggression + free weapons + extreme social problems sounds a brilliant mix for a nice situation..

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Instructor
#34 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 7:15 AM
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 5:03 PM Last edited by omglo : 19th Sep 2016 at 5:20 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
I shouldn't really keep reading these threads, generally I avoid them. But just to defend Morgan Freeman, I thought he gave a well thought out argument backed up by facts. He never said one form of violence was okay, he was pointing out that a much bigger problem was being ignored.
Well you saw it, and I didn't, so I was going by what you originally said about one kind of violence being the "real problem." But, I would point out that it's simply not true that black on black violence is being ignored. It's easy to assume that if you only pay attention to what hits the national news and don't bother to do any digging for yourself, though (and I don't mean you personally, IIRC, you are Australian and wouldn't know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
I'm going to simply ask for facts (the greatest enemy of all SJWs); where is your evidence of a disproportional rate of police brutality toward black people?
As you should be aware, there is no standardized definition of what constitutes brutality, or excessive force, and we don't even have as much data to analyze, as we should, because a lot of police departments don't track this kind of thing; reform is needed in this area. That said-

"A new academic study that builds on Washington Post research into fatal shootings by police has found that unarmed black men were shot and killed last year at disproportionately high rates and that officers involved may be biased in how they perceive threats."
“The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black,” said Justin Nix, a criminal justice researcher at the University of Louisville and one of the report’s authors. “Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed.”

Since 2015, The Post has created a database cataloging every fatal shooting nationwide by a police officer in the line of duty.
"In the study, researchers wrote that their analysis of the 990 fatal shootings in 2015 “suggests the police exhibit shooter bias by falsely perceiving blacks to be a greater threat than non-blacks to their safety.”

Black individuals shot and killed by police were less likely to have been attacking police officers than the white individuals fatally shot by police, the study found."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati....html?tid=a_inl

"The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average. . .There is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates."
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar....0141854#sec005

Were all of these bad shootings? I'm sure that they weren't, but this data is still troubling. BLM is pushing for more oversight, bodycams, citizens review boards, mandatory data tracking, and it's factually clear that it's necessary.
Instructor
#36 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 9:46 PM Last edited by pikeman101 : 21st Sep 2016 at 2:33 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
Were all of these bad shootings? I'm sure that they weren't, but this data is still troubling. BLM is pushing for more oversight, bodycams, citizens review boards, mandatory data tracking, and it's factually clear that it's necessary.


You forgot the beating of random white people, destruction of property, and murder of police officers... but thanks for actually providing a source. You're better than most SJWs.
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 11:24 PM
You forgot to comment on the facts you asked for and received. Not that I'm surprised. I provided them for the benefit of any lurkers who ended up here because they were curious. And with that, I'm finished. It's clear that this isn't a good-faith debate.
Theorist
DELETED POST
20th Sep 2016 at 6:04 PM
This message has been deleted by HarVee.
Theorist
#38 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 5:54 AM
Are there American sources which are reasonably reliable at all? Considering the fact that the so called quality papers in the UK lost a lot of value in order to compete with the tabloids, only being a bit less bad than the real tabloids.

I only have a broader image, besides the names, of Fox and CNN. But the first has nothing to do with journalism and the second one makes me very itchy with their "nothing new to tell us, but still breaking news on the biggest bullshit" attitude.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Instructor
Original Poster
#39 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 2:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyBee
So, I'm ducking out of this thread. I'm pretty sure the person that originally started it just wanted to source alt-right racist opinions that coincide with his own pre-conceived notions on the topic of Black Lives Matter. This is not a debate thread. It is a few individuals that are committed to denigrating a movement with genuine grievances against law enforcement. I will have no part of it, and shame on anyone that panders to this race baiting alt-right anti-intellectualism that is based on nothing more than fear, bigotry, and dishonesty.

I'm a girl lol...I thought my profile picture would have given that away but alright. And just because you think that what I'm saying is "bigoted," doesn't mean that this isn't a debate thread. It's still an opinion, and I was interested in knowing what others thought..
Test Subject
#40 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 12:48 PM
All lives matter. Right now there are numerous Native Americans who are being shot with rubber bullets, hoses with freezing water and gassed. Why because they want clean water.
Alchemist
#41 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 9:46 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 20th Apr 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Black Lives Matter campaign is ridiculous and ironic. It only makes MATTERS worses and directs more hatred on black people. Like how somebody put it in better words, "black people are getting over protected by the government, which makes them an easy target".
Test Subject
#42 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 6:36 PM Last edited by Jezzie : 21st Apr 2017 at 6:56 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Black Lives Matter campaign is ridiculous and ironic. It only makes MATTERS worses and directs more hatred on black people. Like how somebody put it in better words, "black people are getting over protected by the government, which makes them an easy target".


What exactly are you trying to say? By taking a stand black people are are inviting more violence and hatred, so in other words, if more black people get hurt (or worse) it will be their own fault because they dared to voice their grievances and by doing so, they put a target on their own backs?!! That is scary logic!
Scholar
#43 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 9:13 PM
My stance on racism is the same as Morgan Freeman's: Stop talking about it. We need to quit putting damn labels on people. Quit saying someone's "white" or "black". Call them PEOPLE. Is it so hard for people to understand this? We're all humans. Nobody is superior to anyone else. Just because you're "white" doesn't mean you're better than a "black" person.
Test Subject
#44 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:35 AM
I do understand and respect what you are saying, but we are not labeled by our race. The word 'label' has negative connotations, my race is not a label its who I am, just like my gender, my nationality, my beliefs, my profession etc. Those cannot be labels they are my identity. Yes, we are all people and we are all equal but we are all different and I wouldn't want to change that, its a positive thing. Sadly, because of the very nature of man we will always have intolerance, and if we just stop talking about it I'm not sure its going to make much difference.
Scholar
#45 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:56 AM
I see your point: 100%. It's sad that racism (and every other horrible force in this world) exists, and what's even sadder is it'll most likely never be fully eradicated .It's just one of those things that will stick. I'm sure it'll get better, and I'll be hoping for the best.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
22nd Apr 2017 at 7:07 PM
This message has been deleted by heaven.
Inventor
#46 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 1:21 AM
I think the origina ideal/concept of BLM, saying black people matter just as much as white people, has merit and was a good thing. However, a lot of people have done wrong by what they've turned into by acting like they are better than and matter more than white people. It's like they think they're better than and matter more than others, and deserve special treatment and privileged than others because of the color of their skin. Also that it's not okay for whites to do the same thing.
Scholar
DELETED POST
23rd Apr 2017 at 2:28 AM
This message has been deleted by frogz2007.
Inventor
#47 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 4:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogz2007
It reminds me of how some people are braindead enough to say "you can't be racist towards whites". Anyone who says that is a damn fool and should be ashamed of themselves. ANYONE can experience racism. Gosh...


I never said anything like that
Scholar
#48 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 5:26 AM
LOL Did I say you did? No, i didn't...
Inventor
#49 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 6:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogz2007
LOL Did I say you did? No, i didn't...


Sorry, I thought you ere talking about me.
Scholar
#50 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 6:29 AM
Not a problem. Sorry for being kinda jerkish.. I wasn't meaning to imply it towards anyone specific at all.
Page 2 of 5
Back to top