Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 2:28 PM
They're still broken. No one has a complete and total mood swing from one room to another without any external factors. It doesn't feel natural.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#27 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 3:18 PM
No it's not natural but I think that's deliberate. It's a challenge to us, cos if you're trying to get your sim to acquire a skill while he is in the right mood, then you have to ensure he doesn't do something or go somewhere that's going to cut that short. The rapid mood swings make this particular aspect of gameplay more challenging.

I'm not defending it. I hate it. But I think this is what Graham was talking about when he said emotions meant more now. He meant they have more gameplay significance. Graham is a gamer not a doll player.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 4:21 PM
I get people's complains about content feeling piecemeal, but remember how much worse the sims 3 store was for stuff like this.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#29 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 4:50 PM
Well it was piecemeal in the store, of course. But at least you could pick and choose individual pieces and each individual piece was only priced for itself and the stuff that went with it. Nothing in the store was bigger than a stuff pack in scope, and much of it was far smaller granularity. In TS4 even the larger packs like the gamepacks and eps seem piecemeal and self-contained. Most of it doesn't feel like it deepens/enrichens what's already there.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#30 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 8:27 PM
I really hope that Stuff Pack is about more than bowling, cause I'm not paying $10 just so I can build a bowling alley for my sims.

But honestly, this stuff is pretty underwhelming. I personally never cared much for Supernaturals, and bowling is just eh. Any updates on when we're going to get a pack that actually has something the players asked for for a change...? No...?

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 9:00 PM
I can't imagine much else coming with this except a bowling late. Maybe a functional rack. Anything else would be a novelty addition, like a photobooth. It's so specific.

I'd prefer a date night game pack, personally. A little commercial area with a few places to visit for dates, including a bowling alley. I'd also prefer as part of a major packs, but were beyond sense at this point.

Instructor
#32 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:22 PM
I do agree with what a lot of people are saying, so I'm just not going to put my own money into it. I'm not impressed.
*sigh* I miss Will Wright.
Forum Resident
#33 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:39 PM
Bowling should have been in Get Together. It fits with the party/group activity stuff they threw in there. It shouldn't need its own pack.

My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
#34 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teafortwo
My thinking on this is that Sims4 is not Sims2 or 3. Much of its charm for me is that it IS a different game in the series. So, I don't expect Sims4 EP or SPs to be clones or near clones of those created for other Sims games.

I kind of understand where you're coming from, but the problem is that it's still a Sims game. It should feel like it is still part of the series. And this is the fourth game in the series. People expect sequels to improve upon the game before it. In a few ways, TS4 has improved. But in about a dozen ways, it has downgraded so much. I'll spare you the "toddlers, open world, and other omissions" rant because it's been done to death on this site. But basically, while we don't expect the game to be a complete rehash of previous games, we expect it to still feel like it belongs in the series. And based off of what they've been doing, it doesn't feel like a proper sequel. It plays like an online game (which is not surprising since that is what it was originally going to be before the SimCity fiasco).

My Claim to Fame
Instructor
#35 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
It is increasingly clear now that the one who is most happy about me not jumping onto the Sims 4 train is my bank account. This game is becoming rather expensive if one wants to have a half-way decent amount of things to do.

Totally. I think what the Sims 4 is going to be more than what I spent on the entire franchise so far. It is going to be another money pit like how the Sims 3 store was. The Sims 3 store did have a watch video option which was nice. Interesting how when products are called something else, customers still fall into the same marketing ploys. If anything the Sims 4 has been an interesting experiment to watch from a business perspective. The Sims 4 actually feels like a repeat of the Sims 3 store in a lot of ways with repeat ideas, identical products, and DLC only driven advertising. At least the Sims 3 had more tangible pack products. The Sims 4 is nothing more than intangible tiny puzzle pieces that don't even make a sensible or pretty puzzle when put together. But bring on the Sims 4 lag when Simmers complain about how the packs put together are lagging their computers yet again. XD I predict repeat history. At least the Sims 2 packs made sense theme wise.
Instructor
#36 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scobre
Totally. I think what the Sims 4 is going to be more than what I spent on the entire franchise so far. It is going to be another money pit like how the Sims 3 store was. The Sims 3 store did have a watch video option which was nice. Interesting how when products are called something else, customers still fall into the same marketing ploys. If anything the Sims 4 has been an interesting experiment to watch from a business perspective. The Sims 4 actually feels like a repeat of the Sims 3 store in a lot of ways with repeat ideas, identical products, and DLC only driven advertising. At least the Sims 3 had more tangible pack products. The Sims 4 is nothing more than intangible tiny puzzle pieces that don't even make a sensible or pretty puzzle when put together. But bring on the Sims 4 lag when Simmers complain about how the packs put together are lagging their computers yet again. XD I predict repeat history. At least the Sims 2 packs made sense theme wise.
There was so much online content made for the sims 3 that I could not afford it, and still cannot. Half the time the stuff I purchased for the sims 3 would not work, and introduced bugs that would render it unplayable. There was so much content that my computer performance suffered. With the sims 4 I have been able to afford all of it's content, and my financial situation has not changed in all this time because I have been disabled for a long long time. My game plays as well as it did on release, my computer performance does not suffer, and it is the same computer I got back when sims 3 was active. In fact I bought the computer so I could play the sims 3. It is things like that that really up my satisfaction of the sims 4 long term. I would also like to point out that I collect cc and mod my game heavily. Sims 4 seems more compatible with that as well
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 12:11 AM
If we want to discuss content, TS3 was loaded with a fair amount of gameplay from expansion packs alone by the time Generation was released. There was a lot to see, do, explore, etc., and while it didn't function 100% well, there was enough to keep one interested. TS4 has struggled to produce meaningful content and depth well into the era up to city living.

In terms of lots provided to the player to build anything, TS4 barely got past Sunset Valley, and has slowly entered Riverview.

Instructor
#38 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 12:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
If we want to discuss content, TS3 was loaded with a fair amount of gameplay from expansion packs alone by the time Generation was released. There was a lot to see, do, explore, etc., and while it didn't function 100% well, there was enough to keep one interested. TS4 has struggled to produce meaningful content and depth well into the era up to city living.

In terms of lots provided to the player to build anything, TS4 barely got past Sunset Valley, and has slowly entered Riverview.

speak for yourself, with 5,571 hours spent on sims 4 so far, i would say it stays interesting for me. So far I cannot seem to stay interested in any games except the sims 4. From the quarterly teaser reveal, my interest is in fact growing, and staying consistent.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:00 AM
Vampires - yay! Bowling - yawn after trying it once. IF I even get it. I am sure I will get the Vampires, play a day or so at most, and then not play for months. Sigh.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#40 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
speak for yourself, with 5,571 hours spent on sims 4 so far, i would say it stays interesting for me. So far I cannot seem to stay interested in any games except the sims 4. From the quarterly teaser reveal, my interest is in fact growing, and staying consistent.

I was speaking on behalf of several people who share my exact sentiments.

Considering EA has slowed down the release of major packs, I'd assume a lot of people would feel closer to my option than yours, buuuuuuut in all honestly, of the Sims 4 is your bread and butter, please do not let me stop you. Bask.

I say we shouldn't even expect an expansion pack anouncement until sometimes after April. Let's just admit to the fact that most don't want TS4, having gone from three EPs a year to two, and from two game packs to one. Lots of stuff packs, though.

Instructor
#41 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I was speaking on behalf of several people who share my exact sentiments.

Considering EA has slowed down the release of major packs, I'd assume a lot of people would feel closer to my option than yours, buuuuuuut in all honestly, of the Sims 4 is your bread and butter, please do not let me stop you. Bask.

I say we shouldn't even expect an expansion pack anouncement until sometimes after April. Let's just admit to the fact that most don't want TS4, having gone from three EPs a year to two, and from two game packs to one. Lots of stuff packs, though.

hmmm well i am sure people are quite capable of speaking for themselves, you don't need to burden yourself with that responsibility. Conversely I like announcing my personal opinion and try not to generalize (though I'm not perfect at it). The tendency is that the nay sayers are louder than the supporters, and the supporters focus on playing the game. (ha oops I generalized) I'm on the board because I'm eager for information as it gets closer to launch.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 4:17 AM
It's pretty sad that they only seem to release one EP per year now

My Claim to Fame
Theorist
#43 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 4:22 AM
The tendency is that the nay sayers are louder than the supporters, and the supporters focus on playing the game. (ha oops I generalized) I'm on the board because I'm eager for information as it gets closer to launch.

IDK bout that. I focus on playing Sims 2, my work, studying, private life and still find time inbetween to talk about Sims 2 and complain about Sims 4. The Sims 2 and Sims 3 boards are abuzz with people who focus on playhing those games and yet also post about them. So I have a hard time picturing those hypothetical hordes of Sims 4 fans that are just too focused on their games to find time to go online and post in forums.
As I type this the Sims 4 forums have 80 people online, meanwhile the Sims 2 forums, those focused on the 15 year old predecessor of the predecessor have 83 people online and the Sims 3 boards have 162. If it was just the "negativity" of this board, then boards like the SimsVIP forums that are actively "friendly" towards Sims 4 fans should see more activity than they do.

Here I will apologize in advance because I have this "mum" condition where my sincere online voice sounds a lot like my condescending one (and I am not even a mum...) But if you like Sims 4 and have fun playing it...then it shouldn't really matter how many other people like or dislike it. I like a lot of stuff that is not popular and I don't care.

Though maybe the "nay sayers" are just louder because, after 2 years of (in the eyes of us nay sayers) no improvement to Sims 4, there might just are more of them by now. It's a possibility.
Instructor
#44 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
IDK bout that. I focus on playing Sims 2, my work, studying, private life and still find time inbetween to talk about Sims 2 and complain about Sims 4. The Sims 2 and Sims 3 boards are abuzz with people who focus on playhing those games and yet also post about them. So I have a hard time picturing those hypothetical hordes of Sims 4 fans that are just too focused on their games to find time to go online and post in forums.
As I type this the Sims 4 forums have 80 people online, meanwhile the Sims 2 forums, those focused on the 15 year old predecessor of the predecessor have 83 people online and the Sims 3 boards have 162. If it was just the "negativity" of this board, then boards like the SimsVIP forums that are actively "friendly" towards Sims 4 fans should see more activity than they do.

Here I will apologize in advance because I have this "mum" condition where my sincere online voice sounds a lot like my condescending one (and I am not even a mum...) But if you like Sims 4 and have fun playing it...then it shouldn't really matter how many other people like or dislike it. I like a lot of stuff that is not popular and I don't care.

Though maybe the "nay sayers" are just louder because, after 2 years of (in the eyes of us nay sayers) no improvement to Sims 4, there might just are more of them by now. It's a possibility.

I'm aware of some players that abandoned this forum because of negativity and hatred. Having recently returned after a lengthy break from the forums I find that I am more interested, and sticking around, because i no longer care what other people think about my favorite game. I have also noticed a big decrease in the amount of flaming going on, and it is quite refreshing, but it could be a product of a changed personal perspective. I have not spent enough time on these forums to get an accurate view of progress. When I and some fellow sim lovers left these forums, it was pretty ugly. But it seems to have calmed down somewhat.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 8:31 AM
How Maxis make an EP for The Sims 4 (City Life edition)

Okay Maxis, It's time for easiest part of any SimGuru job, the cuts, while I wasn't able to cut everything I wanted to, I have cut a lot of features:
- The bowling is cut.
- The vampires are cut.
- Cars are cut.
- Toddlers are cut.
- Animations are cut.
- I like realism in the game, that's why was so hard to cut that.
Congratulations! The rest of the features are in the final version!
Except, more NPC, Butlers, and all the good features from Apartment Life.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#46 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 9:17 AM
Well, most of the persistent so-called "haters" have actually abandoned this section for more than a year now and gone to other sites to voice their displeasure. I know this because I assist in running one of these sites. If you find that there is too much negativity here then at least it is not caused by the repeat offenders. Which causes me to think that: (a) criticism of TS4 is more wide-spread than just limited to a "vocal minority" (b) those safe places where you find only positivity are a myth.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 12:36 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 8th Jan 2017 at 12:46 PM.
While I really don't need to speak for anyone, I'm certainly allowed to make educated guesses based on factual information presented to me. Even the "cherubs" from the official forums no longer give a damn. It's not a matter of "too busy playing to post," it's about a series not being as good as it used to and people have since gone on with their lives.

TS4 isn't what it could have been, for a variety of reasons. Call me a hater or whatever, I simply do not care, but The Sims 4 has always been a mess. Going all the way to Olympus. Even some Sim Guru tweets provide insight into the workplace chaos.

Please, if you enjoy the game, that isn't anything bad. Don't feel like I'm trying to part you from something you enjoy. If TS4 makes you happy, go play it. Play all day and night. Skip work and/or school and play it more. Play it until carpal tunnel sets in. But, do not turn a blind eye to the reality of the situation, even though that shouldn't be something that stops your from playing the game.

Instructor
#48 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Well, most of the persistent so-called "haters" have actually abandoned this section for more than a year now and gone to other sites to voice their displeasure. I know this because I assist in running one of these sites. If you find that there is too much negativity here then at least it is not caused by the repeat offenders. Which causes me to think that: (a) criticism of TS4 is more wide-spread than just limited to a "vocal minority" (b) those safe places where you find only positivity are a myth.

I'm part of a good sims 4 positive group on facebook, I know it exists
Test Subject
#49 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 4:05 PM
Looks like Mod The Sims is no longer the community to visit for information any longer. Unless what one's looking for is bitterness and misplaced frustration.

Too bad.
Theorist
#50 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:02 PM
I'm part of a good sims 4 positive group on facebook, I know it exists

Again, nobody says that there aren't people who enjoy Sims 4 and fan groups and stuff. I'm pretty sure there's fans of almost everything under the sun.

What I am having trouble picturing is that there's this giant, silent majority of Sims 4 fans that dwarfs the critics, but isn't visible on forums because they focus all their time on playing the game.

In the pre-release/release days the forums at Sims VIP were like the "Sims 4 Lovers Sanctuary" today there is very little activity there. It's mostly people self-advertising their let's Play Channels and a people reporting stuff that doesn't work.

On every other Sims 4 forum I have seen (and that includes the official ones) there is quite a lot of critique on the game, just as much as here.
Page 2 of 14