Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Again, nobody says that there aren't people who enjoy Sims 4 and fan groups and stuff. I'm pretty sure there's fans of almost everything under the sun.

What I am having trouble picturing is that there's this giant, silent majority of Sims 4 fans that dwarfs the critics, but isn't visible on forums because they focus all their time on playing the game.

In the pre-release/release days the forums at Sims VIP were like the "Sims 4 Lovers Sanctuary" today there is very little activity there. It's mostly people self-advertising their let's Play Channels and a people reporting stuff that doesn't work.

On every other Sims 4 forum I have seen (and that includes the official ones) there is quite a lot of critique on the game, just as much as here.

my point is that people like me who love the game see this stuff going on and don't bother posting for fear of flame wars and bullying, make private groups on more secure sites that allow them to control who they talk to. i really only came back because i was curious. not sure if i will stick around or not. there are ways to use this site without touching the forums. i peruse this site all the time for downloads. no offense but constant negativity breeds negativity, and chases away everything else. I came back rather defensively, but i seem to be holding my own pretty well
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:22 PM
Though maybe the "nay sayers" are just louder because, after 2 years of (in the eyes of us nay sayers) no improvement to Sims 4, there might just are more of them by now. It's a possibility.

Agreed. Before the game was released I was actually on the optimistic side because I didn't want to get too cynical before the game even came out and I wanted to at least give it a fair chance to prove itself.

But as the game's life cycle continues to get shorter and the game continues to leave me pretty disinterested due to its lack of content, I just begin to realize that the people who were cynical from the beginning were right. It's been a little over 2 years and there are only 3 EPs, one of which is almost completely unnecessary (Get Together) and another of which is poorly-executed (City Living). EA just refuses to listen to the players and wants to continue throwing half-baked Stuff Packs at us.

But yes, it's just our fault. We're never happy.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
#53 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
those safe places where you find only positivity are a myth.

Nah, it exists. It's called the EA forums

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Scholar
#54 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
Nah, it exists. It's called the EA forums

Nah, it's more like 50/50 on the official forums these days, with a slight leaning towards negative. You see alot of posters that voice their disappointment that something or other was missing or half-assed in the latest Ep/GP/SP. Simmers that used to vehemently defend the game are now going into the 'disillusioned' phase and will soon join alot of us in the 'don't hope for much anymore' club. It's kinda funny how you see simmers going through similar journeys with this game. it's not everyone though. But what is consistent is that those that are still posting generally do care about the game and love it and still play it - they're just being more critical and voicing their concerns more. I think the silent mass of people are players that don't actually care that much one way or another about the franchise. Some might be lurkers, but I think that all simmers that voice their opinions all love the game, and that's why they are so loud. I'm sure there are those that are silent and still care, but hey, watcha gonna do.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#55 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 6:14 PM
What is it with people begging for safe spaces? It's like people need positive reinforcement or something. Just enjoy the game. If you want to discuss something, discuss it and those who also enjoy it will chime in.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#56 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
What is it with people begging for safe spaces? It's like people need positive reinforcement or something. Just enjoy the game. If you want to discuss something, discuss it and those who also enjoy it will chime in.

True those who enjoy or who have something actually helpful to say will chime in. I believe that what annoys some is how, at times, we need to weed out the just plain repetitious negativity.

On a positive note; I see it as helpful how the Vampire and Bowling additions are offered separately. Some will want Vampires while others prefer to skip that. Same with bowling. Easier to shape the game to better suit our play style.

I understand that Vampires come with a graveyard? Those of us who wish to have a graveyard or cemetery can already build or download one. SO, no need to install the Vampire pack simply for that purpose.

Also, some of us wait until a more expensive addition (such as City Living) is offered at a reduced price. Waiting has kept Sims4 less expensive.
Theorist
#57 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teafortwo
I understand that Vampires come with a graveyard? Those of us who wish to have a graveyard or cemetery can already build or download one. SO, no need to install the Vampire pack simply for that purpose.

Where'd you read that? Those graves in the trailer just look like decoration to me.
Instructor
#58 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 6:55 PM
let me get this straight, you are attacking players that do not want to deal with harassment. That sounds so horrible, shame on you.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 7:12 PM
You didn't really seem to get it straight. It's one thing to leave if you feel like you're being personally attacked. That has, admittedly been a problem on this forum in the past two years. But he's referring to the people that claim to be attacked just because they like something that a large number people don't. To which I just have to say "leave or get over it". I liked the Catwoman movie, Suicide Squad, and the first two Fantastic Fours but you don't see me leaving every geek community I'm a part of just because everyone else hates them XD (and I promise you, comic book nerds are a hell of a lot meaner than the people here)

I've noticed this a lot on different forums lately. Where people say something and then act like they're being attacked or ganged up on because others disagree with them.

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#60 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 7:17 PM
That is because "safe space" mentality, young people were told that whatever they believe is absolutely correct and everyone else is wrong, so if they go into public and voice a opinion that isnt accepted ... they play the victim card because that is what safe spaces did, its entirely about victimization.

Mind you I said safe space mentality because the idea of protecting victims isnt wrong but victims do have to confront the aggressor otherwise they will never stop being victims, safe space mentality just obmits the later part and reinforces the victim role.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#61 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 8:41 PM
Who is attacking you?

I'm telling you enjoy something you, rightfully, have the right to enjoy while telling you not to discredit the opinions of others. The "negative" opinions of others should not have an impact on your enjoyment of TS4 whatsoever.

Forum Resident
#62 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 9:27 PM
Well this thread is a dumpster fire.

So are we getting a Bowling vampires pack or a vampire and bowling pack.
I must admit the former sounds much more interesting.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
Well this thread is a dumpster fire.

So are we getting a Bowling vampires pack or a vampire and bowling pack.
I must admit the former sounds much more interesting.

I think they're separate packs. A bowling stuff pack and a vampire game pack. Though I'd have to agree with you on bowling vampires sounding like a much better theme

Forum Resident
#64 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 9:38 PM Last edited by teafortwo : 8th Jan 2017 at 10:43 PM.
Where'd you read that? Those graves in the trailer just look like decoration to me.

I could be mistaken (LOL). I saw in another conversation where someone stated that a graveyard is included. Perhaps they were referring to the graveyard décor. Looks like we should do some "fact finding". I simply assumed that the person knew what they were talking about :-)

I have seen graveyards and churches with graveyards created by players that include headstones ahead of the Vampire add on.

EDIT: I am thinking that there may likely be a graveyard in the included new destination.

Although I plan to skip this EP I know that I will look at what others share, view screen shots and "Let's Plays" -- all of which could change my plan. Always best to 'keep an open mind'.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
let me get this straight, you are attacking players that do not want to deal with harassment. That sounds so horrible, shame on you.

Demanding safe spaces AND attempting to "shame" people who disagree with you into silence simultaniously. You've got the whole Social Justice package! You seem insistent on posting over and over about this overwhelming silent majority that plays this game so much that they haven't left their desktop in 2 years but I posit to you this;

Corporations always do what they can to maximize profit. We've watched since TS4's release in September of 2014 and then the predictable gravy train of Expansion Packs, Stuff Packs, and their new scam- or "invention", Game Packs.

In 2015 EA released 2 expansion packs, 2 game packs, and 4 stuff packs. In 2016 EA released only 1 expansion pack, 1 game pack, and a slight uptick in 5 stuff packs AKA 'a paid replacement for the missing color palette changer from Sims 3'. It has now been roughly 2.5 years since TS4's release.

Let's compare that to Sims 3's release schedule in that same post-2.5 year post-release period;

TS3 released in June 2009. That same year it received 1 expansion pack, and downloadable world. In 2010 it received 2 expansion packs, Ambitions and Late Night as well as another downloadable world and 2 stuff packs. In 2011 it received 2 more expansion packs, 2 more stuff packs, and another downloadable world. Now what's interesting here is that as time went on, releases began to accelerate rather than slow for TS3, indicating people were buying what they were selling and therefore, offer more. In 2012, an additional 6 months later and a comparable time we will reach by this summer, EA released an additional 3 expansion packs, 3 stuff packs, and 3 downloadable worlds. At the same time then as we are now the community was also aware and expecting at least two of these expansion packs from official announcements. What does this all tell us?

Sims 4's release schedule is slowing down much sooner than Sims 3's release schedule did. The offerings of the Sims 4 are also meager in comparison, focusing heavily on Stuff Packs that contain nothing more than babbies' first 3D model and Photoshop session. Why would a corporation, especially one as well known for shaking every nickle out of consumers as Electronic Arts, do such a thing? Logic would tell us there is only one substantial conclusion; there is no market. Nobody is buying them to justify more.

So what was this analysis about? It was about pointing out to you that if your invisible market hand of highly satisfied Sims 4 players existed, we would be inundated with post-release content because people would be buying it and their market would sustain it. This is not the case.

Ergo - you are incorrect. There is no substantial invisible tidal wave of satisfied Sims 4 customers outside the realm of expectations given demonstrated behavior of online activity.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 11:18 PM
It really is sad that this game has split the fandom to this point. And while I do like TS4 and play it regularly (not as much as TS3 but frequent enough for me to be lying if I said I didn't like it), I can't help but side with the people that hate it. Because, for the most part....their complaints tend to be valid.

TS4 isn't so problematic...when you look at it as a standalone game. However, it's not. It's the fourth game in a 16 year long franchise, and so I will judge it as such. Because that's what you do with sequels. That's why the number 4 is in its name. To not look at it while keeping past iterations in mind would be completely ignoring the fact that it's supposed to be the next step for this franchise. And as far as next steps go....man is it disappointing. The new things that it brings to the franchise are really good (clubs, active careers, game packs, the gallery) even if the execution on some of them could have been better. But there are almost no returning features that they've improved on. Almost everything is either exactly the same or done better in previous games. It's almost laughable at times, how much they dumb things down and then try to hide behind excuses that usually don't hold up. Nowhere was that more evident than in the most recent expansion pack.

There's just...an embarrassingly large amount of missteps that this game is taking, I can't help but wonder what went wrong....then I see who was in charge at the time, and what she thought SimCity fans wanted, and I remember exactly what went wrong. Even after they realized their mistake and fixed things before release, this game is still programmed like a spinoff MMO, making social interactions and cute gimmicks a priority over the hundreds of other things an actual sequel to TS2&3 would need. That's why they had time for a talking holographic toilet but not for something as simple as elevator doors that open and close. That's why they brag about background animations and a decorative traffic system that most people wouldn't notice, while less than half of their city is open for exploration. That's why we've had packs that repeat themes (backyard parties and lifestyles that only the rich can enjoy. I guarantee you we'll have about three more packs like those before TS5). That's why they bragged about their marvelous new engine even though it's been the main excuse for why they can't do things the way they could before. Their priorities are out of whack. There is no valid excuse for why this game has more technical limitations than TS2. I was in fourth grade when that game came out. I'm in grad school now. As far as games are concerned, TS2 is old as hell. I should be looking back at it with fondness for the past, not with longing for what could have been. Each new installment should have me looking forward to the future. Not constantly looking back at what they could do 10 years ago but can't now. I can look at it as its own thing (and as such, it ain't bad) but I shouldn't have to look at it in comparison to past games and wonder what went wrong. I shouldn't be thinking "You know...if this is them giving it their all. Maybe I'm okay with the Sims ending at 4"

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#67 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 12:15 AM
TS4 is like a combination of either packs with a bunch of watered down features, or a pack with a way too significant focus on the content itself.

I know people loves the whole "pay for what you want" aspect of the dev cycle, but I swear there's nothing like a pack well mad package of content that actually fleshed out the overall experience.

Generally, for an expansion, you should expect a few hundred CAS and build buy assets (new styles of dress, new styles of architecture, and new interior design styles - all of these are very important), a dozen or so interactive objects, a set of new skills for sims to learn, mechanics to flesh out the simulation, and a new life state. Usually a world is thrown into the mix to show off all of the new content. All of these aspects need to play together and form a cohesive whole while also meshing well with other packs.

For example - wishes, be it via a genie, a fountain, or what have you. There should always be wished for new new game content - like, a new puppy, fame, an education, a dream vacation. This dliggle details add layers, but it has to be a design goal for the team. They should develop a world, not just an expansion pack.

I'm sure consumers would rather pay for a single expansion pack that elevates the overall experience of the game targets than shelling out for several dozen smaller packs that don't do much with content it's supposed to connect with. And I'm not talking about a script that tells the game to add in a simple rule - I'm referring to new mechanics. Please refer to how well Open For Business connects to every single expansion pack released for the Sims 2 (coffee shops, nightclubs, pet shops, massage parlors, etc.).

Theorist
#68 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 12:24 AM
They should have just gone through with Olympus. Not as Sims 4, but as something like "Sims Online 2" I'm sure it would have found some audience.

Looking at it I can actually understand the thought process they might have had; Sims 2 great improvement over Sims 1 was Aging, Sims 3 great improvement (though ymmv here) over Sims 2 was the Open World. How do you trump that? It's not completely unreasonable that they might have considered going online as the next "big improvement". I don't agree with it but I can understand the thought process
By the time the Sim City catastrophe showed them the error that should have been obvious from the start Sims 4 was probably too far into development for them to scrap it (shareholders wouldn't have liked that). That of course doesn't excuse the sad excuse of a game they gave us, but it explains it somewhat.

Just in hindsight it would have been better to release it as a sidegame, where it could have had its niche audience with its online play, it could have been one of those freemium games. Personally I've never seen the appeal of a online Sims game, but evidently some people do, otherwise Free SO wouldn't be a thing.
Then they could have just sat down and developed a proper Sims 4 and Olympus would have eventually quietly been swept under the rug, just like Sims Medieval, the other Sims game they refused to put any effort into.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 12:41 AM
It's a shame that ended up happening to Sims Medieval because that one actually had some promise compared to all the other cheap cash grab spin-offs.

Forum Resident
#70 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 12:43 AM
This thread appears to have veered off the topic of Bowling and Vampires ((LOL))
Theorist
#71 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
It's a shame that ended up happening to Sims Medieval because that one actually had some promise compared to all the other cheap cash grab spin-offs.

Oh definitely. Medieval Play seems to be fairly popular. I imagine a proper Sims Medieval that would have allowed players to build their own castles and have whole families with aging and inheritance and all the drama that comes with that would have sold very, very well and might have even be able to spawn its own series.

Between Medieval and Sims 4, I do consider Medieval the greater loss., simply because of the potential and the fact that while we can hope for an improved Sims 5, I don't think we'll ever see a Sims Medieval 2 that could correct the shortcomings of the original game.

Quote: Originally posted by teafortwo
This thread appears to have veered off the topic of Bowling and Vampires ((LOL))

Yeah...kinda. Though bowling and vampires just don't seem to offer much material for discussion.

Unless we pull out Fright Night Part II again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfWMd0jlOg
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#72 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 1:17 AM
To go back on topic, anyone want to guess the other gameplay object in the bowling pack, besides the lane?

Also, graveyards are normally a town related thing. Technically, TS4 takes place all over the world with very little respect for borders. How would that work?

Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Birthright_Black
Looks like Mod The Sims is no longer the community to visit for information any longer. Unless what one's looking for is bitterness and misplaced frustration.

Too bad.

Yes. This is exactly what I thought recently as well.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#74 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 2:57 AM
It still is, but people don't like the content EA is producing. That's not a MTS, that's an EA problem. When content improves, I'm 100% sure the spark will return once again.

Top Secret Researcher
#75 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 3:13 AM
It still is, but people don't like the content EA is producing. That's not a MTS, that's an EA problem. When content improves, I'm 100% sure the spark will return once again.

The process of me coming to MTS nowadays is like this:

1. Oh new info! *click*
2. Scroll through 1 info post. Followed by negative rant, rant, and rants of things we already knew.
3. Ok that's enough negativity for a few days. See you in a while!

Don't get me wrong, if its to rant on something new I'm open to that (like your point on the bat's poly count).

But it always goes back to toddlers, seasons, recliners, 'not enough depth', 'not enough content', bashing people who like the game, bashing official forum goers, bashing the devs and glorifying the previous sims (even tho back during Sims 3 era, people hated it and were glorying on 2 instead). Same shit all over again in every single thread. It gets tiring to see that here after a while because its not new information.
Page 3 of 14