Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 8:55 PM
Default Modeling question in Milkshape
Hi there! I was debating on starting on making 3d models of some long legged shoes that go to the knee.
They'd be shaped to look like animal legs, digi-graded for all ages and use the skintone of the sim to be it's texture. Since I'm a sucker for fantasy sims and I doubt EA would do a thing like that if they release a werewolf gamepack like they did with the vampires.

However, is it possible just make the a 3d mesh model from scratch without cloning it from an CAS item and such? I have no idea on UV mapping or other stuff, I'd probably be only be able to make the model itself, nothing more. But i wanted to make sure it's possible to make just the model without having to go through the proccess of cloning a pre-existing item first. Also I'd figured I n would need a TS4 full body model for every age stage, so It'd be possible to scale down said mesh.

I go by the name Amaai
I also have a DA & a Tumblr too.

Amaai
Marinkastel
Female | Pan | ISTP
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 12:08 AM
Yes, it's possible. However, if you don't think you can do the UV mapping you're better off working from a cloned mesh. CAS Tools can auto-create everything else from an .ms3d or .obj. It can auto-create the UV0 (texture mapping) also but that function doesn't work well. It might be worth a try but no guarantees.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2017 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Yes, it's possible. However, if you don't think you can do the UV mapping you're better off working from a cloned mesh. CAS Tools can auto-create everything else from an .ms3d or .obj. It can auto-create the UV0 (texture mapping) also but that function doesn't work well. It might be worth a try but no guarantees.

Ah, okay, I'll do that then. I can just delete the clone mesh in the modeling program right?
Also, I don't know where I'd find the body models for all ages, is there a thread with that for download?

I go by the name Amaai
I also have a DA & a Tumblr too.

Amaai
Marinkastel
Female | Pan | ISTP
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 5th Feb 2017 at 3:44 AM
Sorry, but the benefit of modifying an EA mesh is to keep the existing uv0 and other data. If you delete and replace the cloned mesh you have an original mesh which needs that data so you still have to deal with the uv0. The main reasons to start with a cloned mesh and replace it are to have the skeleton set up and of course to use the EA body as a starting point.

I've attached the EA body meshes in ms3d. Let me know if you need them in another format.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ymBody-ms3d.zip (548.2 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  yfBody-ms3d.zip (558.3 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  puBody-ms3d.zip (523.8 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  cuBody-ms3d.zip (561.5 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 5:12 PM
Sorry to add my nose to this thread, I just downloaded the models you've uploaded here, and I was wondering if you could direct me to the best of your knowledge tutorial for editing any sim 4 mesh (clothing)..so I end up with a fully working package. In ms3d that is, of course.
@CmarNYC
Thank you very much.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 8:35 PM
Have you looked at the tutorials listing? There's not much for CAS-Milkshape, but maybe something will be helpful.

If you're just looking to reshape an EA mesh using Milkshape, all you have to do is clone a TS4 item, use CAS Tools to export each lod into an .ms3d, modify it, and import it back to the lod you got it from. There are restrictions: you can delete verts/faces but the only way you can add them is by dividing edges. If you make changes and import, you must export a new .ms3d before making more changes. (This is not ALWAYS true but better safe than sorry.) You can of course move vertices, change uv mapping, bone assignments, and normals. Don't do things like cleaning a mesh or splitting seams; that changes the number of vertices. And don't fiddle with the order of groups in a multipart mesh, or change the group names or comments.

If you want to make more extensive changes to an EA mesh or create an original clothing mesh using Milkshape, my TS3 to TS4 conversion tutorial may help you. (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=582340) You could skip the sections that are specific to TS3 - the sections on separating mesh parts like arms from the rest of a mesh and connecting parts together may help, plus of course the sections on converting the final .ms3d mesh to TS4 format and the overall process of creating a clone of a similar EA item and importing your changes to make a working package.

If you need help with any of this, please post in a separate thread.