Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 9:56 AM
Make world bigger than 300 Large
Hey guys! I want my world bigger than 300 large. Like 500? How can i make it? They are so little.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 1:32 PM
300 is probably the height of your world, the biggest world is 2048x2048. I think you're messing up the tickboxes here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
300 is probably the height of your world, the biggest world is 2048x2048. I think you're messing up the tickboxes here.

I saw a video it's soooooooo bigger than you think. How can i make bigger?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 9:02 PM
You can't.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#5 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 9:32 PM
You have to choose the right map. A large map with the height you want
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 9:46 PM
You can make a world of greater height than 300 by using SuperCAW:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...atures#Features
However, remember that this will have significant impact upon the performance of your world.

Not sure if you could get SuperCAW to accept larger heightmaps- I don't think I ever tried that!
dodgy builder
#7 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 9:57 PM
There's also the fact that the map looks small from a distance, but the moment you land on it with the camera it will soon be much bigger.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 10:20 PM
You can make a world larger than a 8x8 chunk world by changing the image size used.

A 8x8 world is a 2048x2048. A 7x7 world is a 1536x1536.

A chunk is 512x512.

However, I don't think a world beyond a 8x8 world is worth it unless you were creating an ocean world with lots of empty space due to the computing power required. The world file also contains images for terrain paints overlays, so larger worlds will also be inherently larger in size and take longer to load.

What I don't know is possible is whether or use images that aren't squares (i.e. 512x1024).

It would be interesting if someone could try it out!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 12:03 AM
So you're saying that worlds larger than 2048x2048 are possible?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 8:09 AM
If possible, though, how playable for how many people? And would you even be able to play it? Unless you have uber good PC specs you might spend a year making it and then find your computer cannot run it, or at least well? IMO the large map is more than enough space to do what most of us want/need.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 3:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
If possible, though, how playable for how many people? And would you even be able to play it? Unless you have uber good PC specs you might spend a year making it and then find your computer cannot run it, or at least well? IMO the large map is more than enough space to do what most of us want/need.

If you ignore routing it will be done in a second, not that I recommend it.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 5:46 PM
How about a really huge map that's just two built-up areas with very little in between? There's this GTA V-esque map that I think would be a lot better if it wasn't so damn cramped. Just add a whole lot more of GTA V's relative nothingness in there and you've got a very respectable, very big map. The city itself wouldn't have to be much larger, and Paleto Bay could just be a single street with half a dozen lots on it.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#13 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
How about a really huge map that's just two built-up areas with very little in between? There's this GTA V-esque map that I think would be a lot better if it wasn't so damn cramped. Just add a whole lot more of GTA V's relative nothingness in there and you've got a very respectable, very big map. The city itself wouldn't have to be much larger, and Paleto Bay could just be a single street with half a dozen lots on it.

Reading about this I just wondered if it could be used as a DT, instead of having to learn meshing. I'm thinking EA is horrible on many things,but they decided to make something new as a DT, a mesh, instead of just making the map bigger and not using is for anything. That should teach me, that a DT is to prefer.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 7:01 PM
Would be useful if you explained what a DT is...

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#15 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Would be useful if you explained what a DT is...

It's short for Distant Terrain, it's an object make the view of the world from a distance . Like the background screens in ts4, only they are 2D.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 7:58 PM
Ah, ok. I don't think so. DTs are a singular mesh with a singular texture (as far as I know). I'm not entirely sure what you'd want to be doing with it.
What you can of course also do on an extra-large map is use the extra space for a huge buffer zone with fully detailed but inaccessible terrain. Imagine a huge forest that spreads for a kilometer, or the wide open ocean.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#17 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 2:36 PM
What I was thinking was to make a much bigger world and then use the outer edges as DT, meaning just put some trees there and stuff. It would probably be a bit much for the computer to run, so I better ditch that plan.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 5:45 PM
That's what I said. Sounds like a great idea and I really want to see it done.

insert signature here