Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 3:23 AM
Default questions about some game effect modifiers
The more I get into working on custom buffs, the more confused I get about how a few of these work. The one that's really vexing me right now is the affordance success modifier. Here's an example of one that comes directly from Maxis (it's on the Clumsy trait buff).

Code:
      <V t="affordance_modifier">
        <U n="affordance_modifier">
          <L n="interaction_category_tags">
            <E>Interaction_Workout</E>
          </L>
          <T n="success_modifier">-30</T>
        </U>
      </V>

Okay--seems self-explanatory. This probably causes your Sim to fall down on the treadmill or get sore muscles or something more often. So I went ahead and basically copy/pasted this to a custom buff and bumped the success_modifier value up to its bottom limit of -100, and...nothing. I'm sure the buff is applied in game, but I've run a Sim that has it through a bunch of exercise cycles and he hasn't so much as stumbled. Last time he even got the "Good Workout" buff. And this is on a Sim that didn't even have the fitness skill when he walked into the gym.

Similarly, I spotted a Buff_Trait_Bane_Sabotage buff which sets a -100 success modifier on Interaction_All. I tried that in my custom buff just to see what would happen. Nuthin'.

Has anybody had any success in getting this to actually have an effect in game?

Another one that is bothering me, though not quite as much, is effective_skill_modifier. How is this supposed to work? The way I assumed was that, for example, if I put a buff on a Sim with level 1 mischief that gave that Sim an effective skill modifier of 5, that said Sim would be able to do level 6 (or maybe 5?) mischief interactions, like sabotaging sinks and stuff. I tried it, it doesn't work. In fact, I can't see any effect at all from using this game effect modifier. Again, I've pretty much copy/pasted from other in-game buffs, so I don't know what the problem is. Example:

Code:
			<V t="effective_skill_modifier">
				<U n="effective_skill_modifier">
					<V t="skill_type" n="modifier_key">
						<T n="skill_type">16707<!--statistic_Skill_AdultMajor_Mischief--></T>
					</V>
					<T n="modifier_value">5</T>
				</U>
			</V>

Has anybody had more luck than I have?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 3:53 AM
Oh, darn--should have searched a little first. It seems like the affordance success modifier is pretty useless for most things, and that you actually need to go into the test_based_score files and add your buffs there with the success modifier you want. Or something.

That's really disappointing, since I was hoping to do what I wanted to do without editing any of the original game files. Seems like that's not possible.

I still wonder about the effective skill modifier though.