Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:37 AM
Default What do you do with burned food?
When a Sim burns their meal, what do you do with it? Do you make them eat it, or throw it away, or stick it in the fridge as leftovers for an emergency, or something else?

Myself, unless a Sim is very hungry, very short on time, or low on food in the fridge, I have them re-make the meal again. Life's too short to be eating burned things.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:41 AM
I make them eat it and as leftovers they have to eat the burnt stuff first.
Link Ninja
#3 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:43 AM
If it was meant to be served for guests, I make them re-make it. If it's just for them or immediate family then they suffer it.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:45 AM
I dump it in the trash and then turn it into compost. Maybe if I was playing some kinda hardcore challenge like an apocalypse or something, then I'd make the eat it. But eh.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:54 AM
I make my sim eat it. You burned it, you eat it, jerk. That's what I had to do when I was learning to cook.

Think you're better than me?

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 2:40 AM
I used to make them eat it all the time, didn't really realize they don't like it. Now it depends on the Sim. If it's a good cook that randomly burns something, I make them re-do it unless they are super hungry (not if they are off to work, since Sims can fill hunger at work). I figure someone that is good at cooking won't eat burned things unless they have to, because they know what food should taste like and burned ain't it. Not all my Sims are good cooks though. Some of them live off mac and cheese and tv dinners, and if they burn it they eat it. I reason that someone who doesn't care to learn to make more tasty food won't care if it's burned, they just want some sop to get rid of hunger.

Parents are more likely to re-do if they are cooking for their kids, if they are devoted parents who care. If they aren't happy to be parents or more self-focused, I'd probably not make them re-do it since I doubt they'd care if the kid has to eat burned stuff.

Though really, the main reason to re-do is because they get on my nerves with the almost-throwing up animation

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
#7 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:00 AM
It depends, really. If they're very short of food and cash, they may have to eat it or starve. If they cooked without permission when not particularly hungry, or if they put something in the oven and then wandered off and left it to burn (and especially if they set the kitchen on fire in the process), I make them eat it all. If they're very hungry, I'll have them eat one portion but they can toss the rest. If they had a "learn to make" Want, I'll always have them keep trying until they succeed. Sometimes a Sim just looks so disappointed with the burned food that I take pity. Children always eat their burned muffins, unless an adult has served something else in the meantime, but they don't have to eat burned food an adult cooked unless there's nothing else.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:05 AM
Depends, are they poor or wealthy? Is the meal for guests or just them? That would decide if it gets eaten or thrown.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:07 AM
I usually make them eat it, but don't keep leftovers.

This is one of those consequences of my early trauma, starving Vidcund to death while he was pregnant. If I had let him eat his burned mac and cheese, instead of insisting he make a new batch, he might not have died. Or if he hadn't insisted on eating at the card table outside. He literally fell dead immediately after setting the plate down.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:27 AM
I get them to make it again. It just seems cruel to make them eat it when it obviously tastes so awful.

I recently was getting a sim to make a new custom food to see what it looked like. Well it looked awful burnt and she did it twice before success. XD
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:48 AM
I make them eat it. They burned it, they can eat it. Maybe I just don't care enough for my pixels after all?

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:59 AM
Waste not, want not-they burned the food, they get to eat it. Why recook it if they're gonna burn it again? What a waste of time energy and food!

Quote:
"and don't give me that retching sound or make faces while you're wolfing it down, pixel!"

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:04 AM
Poor sims. Imagine if someone forced you to eat burned food.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:21 AM
Burned or started a fire with? Because it seems to me there ought to be a difference programed, though there isn't. The stuff from the fire extinguishers should render the food inedible.

Most of the time mine are stuck eating it, but my sims are usually on the edge of broke.

And Charity? At my house, if it's burnt, tough, eat it anyway. It's a half-hour drive to get take-out or whatever, and expensive, and longer to thaw something else from the deep freeze and cook it, and it's just not going to happen. So yes, plenty of times I've eaten scorched food. A few times that's involved scraping off the baking soda and rinsing the food after putting out the grill fire! (Indoor grill.) A little baking soda residue never killed anyone. Fire extinguisher would necessitate starting over cooking.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:22 AM
I toss it UNLESS it is a poor neighborhood or the last food stock in the fridge. I don't know if it's still a thing present in the game, as I haven't seen it in a while. I know it's a low chance, but it's still a chance!

Food Poisoning
Symptoms - Vomiting, nausea
Fatal? Yes
Contagious? No
There is a 5% chance any time a Sim eats spoiled or burned food that the Sim will get food poisoning. This can occur if food spoils while a Sim is eating it, or if sloppy Sims eat out of the rubbish bin.
Scholar
#16 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 4:53 AM
Similarly to Peni, I make them eat it, but I don’t keep leftovers.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Inventor
#17 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 6:34 AM
Same with dirty, stinky plates, I would use the moveobjects cheat to have a Sim "hold" onto the burned food. Who knows, they might hold it long enough to play Red Hands or do a high five with somebody.
Instructor
#18 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 11:20 AM
Burnt + fire-brigade = tossed (think of all those chemicals)
Burnt + unhappy shrug = you burnt it, you eat it! Students / low savings will keep the left-overs, others will bin them.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Alchemist
#19 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 12:33 PM
I throw it away. If I burn food myself in real life or screw it up to the point that it's hard for me to eat it I throw it away, I like to watch my sims suffer but not by eating food. Of course they have to eat the burnt food they made but not keep it as leftovers
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:09 PM
Like others, depending on whether or not they need it, I'll keep it or bin it
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:12 PM
Most of my Sims are good at cooking. Burning food is therefore unacceptable, and he or she will have to throw it out and start over - like any normal RL good cook would.
Inventor
#22 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 1:41 PM
My sims eat it. All of them. Poor, rich, really sweet or permanently cranky, doesn't matter.
Even the food they'd set on fire and got hosed with lots of water.
I'm quite insensitive on this one.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 2:33 PM
People my age do not allow food to go to waste. You burnt it, you eat it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#24 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 2:59 PM
For my game it's a combo of wealth and how much food is in the fridge. My poor families eat burnt food and save the leftovers. Middle class families will eat it but usually won't save leftovers. I might leave the platter on the counter and whoever's hungry will eat it too, but otherwise it stays there until it spoils. I might have them save the leftovers if they're low on food and waiting for their garden to bloom, though.

Rich families, like the Goths, or pretentious ones, like the Pleasants, will throw burnt food away and cook the meal again till they get it right. They would have to be in danger of starving to eat it. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind for any sim that ticks me off. If a sim has burned food several times or is just being particularly annoying one day, I make them eat it, and if they made a platter, I save the leftovers and make them eat that too, until it's all gone.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Instructor
#25 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 3:01 PM
I prefer them to eat the burned food. They gag so funny and then just pretend to eat something that's okay, until they gag again. It's especially funny if it's a child. They make the funniest noises.
Page 1 of 3