Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:18 AM
Default Is it possible to...?
I've tinkered with CAW and read some tutorials, but now I think what I wanted to learn might be impossible to do.

Bridgeport. They're saying all over that Bridgeport is completely unroutable. I mean, people are complaning all over in threads I've found via google that unlike in all other worlds, Bridgeport was made fully unroutable or something. Except for those places where lots were placed already. People complain that after removing a default lot they can't place a new one into the same place, as the terrain becomes unroutable or 'touches the road'. It's not as bad in my experience (1.69), but 'touches the road' problem does exist, even though it's a lie and nothing touches the road. Anyway, it's impossible to find any more terrain to build on.

This is the picture:

That middle road on the left that weaves upwards to the lake? Right where it ends you can place one single tiny lot (thanks, EA, for such generosity!). All the rest of space everywhere in that location is unusable for unknown reasons. What I wanted is to make that area routable, and to flatten the mountains to boot, so that the rest of the half-island would be usable.

CAW files:
https://cawster.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/bridgeport/
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 9:08 AM
You'll be wanting to edit the map in CAW? Then it is possible - just need to flatten the terrain, ad Lots in CAW and redo the routing. Just as long as you stay within the map, I believe some of the terrain is Distant Terrain. I can't remember if all that area above that break in the road (to the right of that lake) is all DT or not. It has been a while since I created that.

This sort of editing is not possible in Edit-in-Game.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 12:19 PM
Bridgeport has never been my favourite world, but I can see a line by the top third of the map, might that be the DT? You should turn on the unroutablepaint to see what EA has done and then you should try removing some of it.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 5:42 PM
Also, is it possible to edit a savegame's world in CAW? I want to do the same thing, but with my save.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
You'll be wanting to edit the map in CAW? Then it is possible - just need to flatten the terrain, ad Lots in CAW and redo the routing. Just as long as you stay within the map, I believe some of the terrain is Distant Terrain. I can't remember if all that area above that break in the road (to the right of that lake) is all DT or not. It has been a while since I created that.

I tried flattening the mountains. It works, but it's impossible to build anyway. Still 'unroutable terrain'. I guess that's what you call Distant Terrain. How do I fix that?
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Bridgeport has never been my favourite world, but I can see a line by the top third of the map, might that be the DT? You should turn on the unroutablepaint to see what EA has done and then you should try removing some of it.

I looked everywhere but I couldn't find unroutable paint. I mean I couldn't find it to turn it on.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:52 AM Last edited by daisylee : 17th Apr 2017 at 2:12 AM.
You have to remove/erase the paint to make nonroutable. Blue I think. I did a major redo of BP ages ago and did a road and lots from that lake across to the main water between the 2 main land sections. I added a whole new area on the other side of the bridge also. You just have to sculpt the areas as needed and remove the nonroutable paint where needed. Yes, you cannot alter distant terrain sections. I bet I added 40-50 lots. It is possible. I also carved into those hills where the towers are above the city area.

edit: do you mean you cannot see the routing paint? There is a box to click to see it as I recall and when painting make sure opacity is set to see it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Also, is it possible to edit a savegame's world in CAW? I want to do the same thing, but with my save.

Depending on how much you change the save should work with your revision. If no, you will need to move the lots over from your save to the new version. So far in all of my world revisions I have been able to place a save from one version in a new version. I think...... it has been a while.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
I looked everywhere but I couldn't find unroutable paint. I mean I couldn't find it to turn it on.

Under 'Routing' in Terrain Editing Tools.

ETA: Remembered Krrank's tutorial with image of the routing paint:
http://krrank.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...ix-routing.html
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 9:06 AM
Thank you all! Finally it worked! Yay! Now I can change Bridport to have so much more space...

Like GrijzePilion, I too want to know how to change the city inside of an active save, though. How can I edit Bridgeport that is already in play, how do I access it in CAW? It would be super comfortable to do so, instead of creating a new version of the city and having to move all my sims over. It's an old save with many households, and they'd lose so many relationships with all other households once copied to the library.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 11:44 AM
For me it isn't as much the fact that most Sims and lots have had a makeover. It's that there are dozens of lots and hundreds (if not thousands) of decorative objects added to the world space, that aren't there by default. The city is surrounded by forest, and I've practically built entire new neighborhoods in several places on the map. It'd be a total pain to redo that.
So you say it's possible to modify an active save?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 12:29 PM
Well, you could try making a world from your save file- I've managed to get that to work with some caveats.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3903916
Basically, make a blank workd and import the nhd file into it.

However, editing a world that has a save file attached to it is something I've never done. You see, all of the routing changes and lot/world editing you do are stored in the nhd file too, so I'm not sure that your world routing changes would be utilised. It would be fun to try though- be sure to backup all files!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 12:58 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 18th Apr 2017 at 12:58 AM.
You bet I'll try.
Oh wait....I probably won't. Just remembered CAW doesn't work on my PC. Guess I'll have to try the other one.

insert signature here
Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 4:40 AM
Wow it sounds so complicated (for someone unfamiliar with CAW), I'm not sure I can figure out how to do this even with detailed descriptions. But I'll try.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 7:26 AM
EA put out a basic tute when the program was released and there is a boatload of info. here and elsewhere to learn the program. You can do it. For me it is very addictive. I love to work in CAW.