Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 2:04 PM
Question About Origin
I looked at my stores and none had the vampire dlc. Also, they were charging to much for the original copy of sims 4. It was not even the deluxe version. So I want to buy through Origin. But I have never bought through Origin anything before. Does this act like an account always holding your purchases? So I have two computers in my house. If I buy TS4 can I download it for both my PC's off of Origin? And if I should sell my pc's and get newer model would I forever then be able to download any game I bought from Origin? Like it is acting like the Microsoft Xbox does with it's games you buy?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Moraelin : 27th Apr 2017 at 3:43 PM.
It's KINDA like Steam. I mean, really, it's EA's version, down to the fact that it's just as half-arsed made as EA's games. I guess it's part of that corporate image or something. I guess that circle logo is one buttock, with the second coming later maybe, as an overpriced expansion

And I mean, seriously, it's even happened before that it gets a brainfart and can't complete a purchase. And when I say "before", I mean, last time was like 2 days ago. It couldn't figure out the notion of taking my money and giving me the cool kitchen pack for TS4. Given that the POINT of it is to, you know, sell stuff, I'd say it's a pretty epic fail.

But basically, yeah, it remembers what you've bought. And you can install it on another computer. For example I bought TS4 on the previous computer, and then just went and said it should install it on this one, and it worked just fine. Just like on Steam, really.

Edit: Main difference being that with Origin occasionally EA may decide to not let you start a game if you're offline. They tried it before with various of their games, and I'd be seriously surprised if it didn't happen again. Whereas Steam always let me just start in offline mode when I'm on a train or something.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LaurellKH
I looked at my stores and none had the vampire dlc. Also, they were charging to much for the original copy of sims 4. It was not even the deluxe version. So I want to buy through Origin. But I have never bought through Origin anything before. Does this act like an account always holding your purchases? So I have two computers in my house. If I buy TS4 can I download it for both my PC's off of Origin? And if I should sell my pc's and get newer model would I forever then be able to download any game I bought from Origin? Like it is acting like the Microsoft Xbox does with it's games you buy?

Origin keeps track of your purchases and you can redownload them if you get another computer as I did that with sims 3 & 4. I have never had trouble starting a new game offline either in fact I run offline most of the time. Steam is also not a bad choice either I have a couple of game through them and they work great.
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 8:51 PM
To play offline forever, you will have to be online at least once to log in, and check Remember Me, get logged in select Go Offline, and you should never delete origin's cache files, or obviously you will lose your login information.

You can install and download TS4 on as many machines as you like, and even run them all simultaneously, but you can only be logged on one machine at a time, so you can have one machine access to the online features while the others can't.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 9:55 PM
My sister, mom, and I share my Origin account. You can only be online on one computer at a time, but each computer can run the game at the same time.
Scholar
#7 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 7:49 AM
I really hate Origin, I only have it installed and running so I can play TS4, and keep up with the new packs and patches.

By the time TS4 has finished it's life-cycle, full cracked versions will be much more attractive because you don't need Origin even installed to play it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 1:28 AM
Okay, thank you. I have Steam but I did not think EA would let Steam sell their most precious games because I thought I read somewhere Origin is an attempted competition with Steam. So I imagined EA hates Steam or is jealous of them. Like Mac and Windows they are polite enemies. But yes, ty, that answers my question.

I am wondering why we need the extra expansions stuffs packs. I would think the free custom content would be enough to satisfy. I would like the vampire dlc for the content but I think I need nothing else extra. I am looking for a light sims game for pc as it would not be my main game. Just a small distraction from my mmorpg which I use often. That is said, TS4 would be my 2nd unloved child so I do not need much for it. Don't know if I said that right. :D
Scholar
#9 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 1:50 AM
Well, yes, basically at some point EA stopped selling stuff through Steam, made their own half-arsed Steam rip-off, and called it Origin. That's the long and short of it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 1:38 PM
I said it wrong. The saying is "unwanted stepchild." Not unloved child. I thought it sounded wrong. If TS4 is full of glitches it is not worth the $40 would be better to wait for it to become $20. But someone is asking me if I want a gift and I can't think of any other game. I have all of TS2 but I played it to death and know it forwards and backwards. Games are not fun when there is nothing new to learn. I played TS3 on xbox and found it boring in a short time but it was different than TS2 so a small amusement was gained. I play Sims Freetime app on my phone which is a distraction when waiting in a line but I miss having a good book to read. That would be better. My mmorpg is now being called a medieval sims because they added housing to the game with furniture. I play TESO the mmo version of Skyrim. In that game you can decorate medieval home but you must search the world for the furniture recipes. The search is a hard one but I have secret places I can tell no one about that respawn recipes quickly. Still frustrated to get the same recipe over and over when there is over 5000 recipe in the game. So I thought I will get TS4 because new and NO RECIPES. lol
Forum Resident
#11 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 7:44 PM
I like Origin.. I like that all my games are in one place and it don't download a bunch of icons on my laptop/desktop. I like that I can see the sales on games and also on the house games which is pretty cool. I didn't like it at first way back when I started buying TS3 at Walmart and Amazon.. I started buying from Origin when I bought TS4 this last Feb. This month I hit the 50% off of sales. I got City living and Get together for 20 dollars each.. That was a 40 dollar saving on games I was already going to buy.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 9:50 PM
I agree, Stardust. The other part of it is that modern laptops don't often have disk drives. Yes, you can always get an external disk drive, but things can happen to disks. I like that installing, repairing, and updating is simple via a client such as Steam or Origin. I just wish they would add Sims 1.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 10:41 PM
VerDeTerre, You reminded me of the disk drive! mine went out last year when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10.. If I had to have a disk I would not be playing Sims right now.. I like that I was able to download/install all my Sims 3 when I had registered them with Origin now no disk is needed.. I like buying digital games.. I never have to worry about lost, damaged disk. Also not having to keep up with those paper booklets with Key code is a plus..

P.s I checked out steam yesterday.. In Sim games all I found in search is was TS3..

My daughter in-law has access to my other Origin account where I have all my sims 3 and was able to download them all to her laptop. She's playing them and I can play them on mine as well. just not at the same time.
Scholar
#14 Old 1st May 2017 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Stardust74
I like Origin.. I like that all my games are in one place and it don't download a bunch of icons on my laptop/desktop. I like that I can see the sales on games and also on the house games which is pretty cool. I didn't like it at first way back when I started buying TS3 at Walmart and Amazon.. I started buying from Origin when I bought TS4 this last Feb. This month I hit the 50% off of sales. I got City living and Get together for 20 dollars each.. That was a 40 dollar saving on games I was already going to buy.

I do like the idea of buying and and downloading games without ever having to leave home, plus I was noctilucous for losing, damaging and scratching my CDs (I don't know where half of my TS2 CDs are anymore).

But my problem with Origin, what could of been a lightweight frontend, just isn't, it just gets more bloated with every update, painful and slow to navigate, takes priority over your system, leaves old cache files behind, hides in the background even when you click close, and if left running it prevents Windows from shutting down correctly.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st May 2017 at 5:13 PM
Wait what? I must download Origin? I thought it was online like the cloud and you only download your game?

Also, why do people persist in using laptops. They are junk. You do not need to put things on your lap or beddy-bye or take it with you to school. School has computers and it will break if you drop it. Use a desktop! Here is the great one that works: https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...ctID.1278757200 Do not buy cheap junk. There the link I give, Microsoft sells an Asus Desktop that is not cheap but not expensive. Without it I could not play TESO which requires gaming pc. Not secretary piece of poop you find in a grocery store. Or you can just build your own rig is not to hard. But I tell you they lie who say building gaming rig is cheap. No no no it is expensive for parts because SHIPPING AND HANDLING.

I was also going to ask is there very much downloadable content for TS4 base game cc? Did the content devs follow the series and work with TS4 or did they give up. I know they all left TS2 or died (literally so many people just popped off) or moved to make cc for TS3. But I had TS3 for xbox so not here to talk. Did they again move with eagerness to TS4 all the custom content makers? I can't tell if I asked that right. Is TS4 base game modded a lot or a little?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#16 Old 1st May 2017 at 5:54 PM
If people prefer Laptops over desktops, gaming computers or not, I guess I'd say... go for it?

Just to uhm... prevent this thread from moving to a computer discussion thread. If you wanna discuss computers, I would recommend creating a different thread ^- ~ Same goes for the CC question
Field Researcher
#17 Old 1st May 2017 at 6:45 PM
The Sims 3 is way different on PC than on Consoles but it runs way worse than TS2/4. But it is easily still the best game in the series

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st May 2017 at 7:54 PM
How can TS3 be the best game if it runs worse?

And yes, Greenplumbbob, I am opinionated on the desktop/laptop subject. I am used to fighting with my family over which is best. Makes me aggressive! :D
Scholar
#19 Old 1st May 2017 at 8:14 PM
Well, I think what BBC was getting at was the gameplay and the simple fact that there's MUCH more content for TS3 even in the EA packs, let alone the larger number of mods.

"Runs worse" is rather a matter of hardware, though. Simulating a large open world needs a LOT of processing power, so if you have a relatively top of the line machine, TS3 actually runs ok. If you have a 6 year old business machine, not so much.

It als depends how large a world are you simulating, though. A custom tiny island actually runs and loads much faster than a sprawling metropolis.

It also helps if you turn off some effects, if your machine can't handle them. E.g., rain (from Seasons) can be a massive strain on older video cards.

Also, the whole fight over laptops vs desktops seems silly, considering that you can get laptops with DUAL 1080 TI graphics cards these days. And I can link you to complanies which put desktop CPUs in their custom laptops. So in the end you're arguing over, what? The shape of the case? Because not only you can get the same inside a laptop as in a desktop, but you can probably get better than whatever it is that you write those messages on. It won't be cheap, but you can.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd May 2017 at 2:05 AM
But good laptops are expensive laptops. More expensive than an equally functional desktop with same specs. And laptops are challenged in the cooling. They are designed to overheat so you must go get another soon. Desktop last longer and you can replace parts if they fail. Not so for laptops designed so you cannot get into them and replace parts. To small. To compact. To hard to fix. And replacement parts expensive or discontinued. Especially in the cooling with rare fans only the corp makes. People throw away their laptops and buy another. But desktops we keep and build on.

There does not seem to be another game like TS4 Vampires. It is unique in it's take on vampirism. I can play as a vampire in TESO but I am not looking to replace TESO just have a game I can play while TESO is undergoing maintenance. Which it will be soon as it is releasing a massive update with a new class and double the map size. The only other game with good vampire role play is not released yet for the Xbox called Vampyr.

My problem is now Origin. Someone posted here that it will run on your PC without your permission no way to shut it off. I do not want that. I run mmo's and mmo's you must shut off everything or you get lag in pvp.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 2nd May 2017 at 2:37 AM
I have had my laptop for 3 years.. I have opened and replaced parts myself 3 times and it cost me very little in parts to do it.. in all I spent 30 bucks and I have never had a problem with my laptop over heating.. With my laptop I can take it anywhere at anytime play on wifi or offline... You can't do that with a desk top.... I like that I can carry my laptop from one room to another.. If I decide to watch t.v and be on Facebook or play sims I can with my laptop on my lap...
Scholar
#22 Old 2nd May 2017 at 7:04 AM
You can shut down Origin. You can even set it to not start automatically.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd May 2017 at 8:05 AM
Okay ty.

I get both good and bad reports about TS4. I think maybe those of us who collect vampire 3dFancy games are more enthusiastic. I agree EA is a money grabber with no classiness. People are not offended that a corporation wants to make money. People are offended when they are to obvious about it. That EA tried this time with Vampires by including toddlers in the pack seems like they are making an effort to be more generous. They could have separated it and said this is vampires and this is toddlers pay $20 each.

What would happen if everyone said, "We have had enough of you," and no one bought anymore sims games and EA quit making them? I looked around at other games and just get disgusted. Sims are about more than houses and furniture. The series is about a game that allows for character expressions, animations, and environmental interactions. Other games you tell a character go cook. It stands in front of the stove/fire/camp for a few seconds and food appears in your inventory. Where were the animations? I love to see a sim flip a pancake on a stove burner because I cannot get that kind of immersion from other games. Other games make me feel like I am a Veggie Tales character (Christian cartoon movie where the characters have no hands).

I do not need perfect interactive animations. Is funny when they fish and it gets stuffed up the butt. But I crave better than what my 3d games are giving. As long as EA is the only one's producing a certain style game and no one else even tries EA will continue to rule as king. And kings can make demands. If we want EA to stop being selfish it is not enough to threaten not to buy their products. Someone must give them competition on their level. Devs need to bring complex domestic animations to 3d fancy cyber games.
Scholar
#24 Old 2nd May 2017 at 9:23 AM Last edited by Moraelin : 2nd May 2017 at 9:33 AM.
Ehh... I wouldn't lose any sleep over the idea of EA giving up on the goose that lays golden eggs. Not only it's not gonna happen, but someone else would fill the void pretty quickly. In other genres it took just one screw up like Sim City Societies to make a previously obscure company the new platinum standard with Cities XL, and a second screw up with Sim City 2013 had even Paradox rushing in to eat EA's market.

So, really, relax.

Besides, shouldn't you actually try the game before singing its praises and telling those who actually did what they don't properly appreciate? I mean, I can even understand that different people like different things, so you might like what the rest of us disliked. But even that involves actually trying it first, so you actually know if you liked it. Singing praises to a corporation based on just how you imagine it'll be is kinda silly. And kinda distasteful. Wait until you know WTH you're talking about, before lecturing anyone else on how great it is or how they're not properly appreciating it.
Scholar
#25 Old 2nd May 2017 at 9:44 AM
Point in case, the toddlers are NOT a part of the Vampires pack. The toddlers were added in the January patch, because everyone was still bitching that they paid for a TS game and it doesn't have toddlers. Among many other things that TS4 launched without, although it was part of the vanilla TS2 and TS3. And EA DID try to make more money out of it, by releasing most of the toddler related items in a separate $20 pack. And no, it's not the Vampires pack.

So, really, shouldn't you know WTH you're talking about before lecturing anyone else about how they should be grateful to a corporation? I mean, at least know what you're asking them to be grateful FOR?
Page 1 of 2