Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 11:29 PM
Default Least favorite world and why
We have a million discussions on our favorite worlds but what is your least favorite EA created world and why?

It's hard for me to pick but mine would be Starlight Shores, a Hollywood-esque world doesn't really appeal to me and I never play it :P

Moonlight Falls is a close second, I never play it unless I play solely supernatural households and decide to move them into that world, which is rare.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 11:50 PM
University town. We didn't need a whole town devoted to that. It should have been integrated into main hood.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
#3 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 12:37 AM
I don't have a lot of towns but I really hate Monte Vista. The layout is terrible (it takes FOREVER to get anywhere, especially without a car) and it's as buggy as a fly strip. Which is a shame because I love the aesthetic! And the wood oven.

I also don't like how DARK Dragon Valley is. It's noticeably darker than any other town I have. Does the dragon apocalypse somehow prevent the sun from shining?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 1:21 AM
Bridgeport. Or rather, everyone else's version of it. Mine is the only good one, and even then it's not great. Sorry, guys.
No, but to be real, I don't have a single least favourite world. I have multiple.
Moonlight Falls, Isla Paradiso, Barnacle Bay, Hidden Springs, Shadow Hills or whatever the hell the gothic one is called.
And for favourites, I'll nominate Roaring Heights, Sims University and Bridgeport. But again, only my theoretical, imaginary, implied, illusory Bridgeport.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 2:19 AM
When you look at some of the first ones, such as Riverview, and Sunset Valley, you can see how much the worlds improved by the time Isla Paradiso was done. I know how to redo worlds so love Monte Vista for example, but I did a major redo of it. I also have done a total makeover of Moonlight Falls and others. The one I think was the worst IMO was the one where all was done in black. It had the toy shop and came with the sales pedestals. You could not see a darn thing there, or at least I could not. It got deleted the fastest in my game.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 2:35 AM Last edited by Alliehalliexo : 6th May 2017 at 10:29 PM.
I don't know why, but I just don't like Twinbrook... Other than that, the next world on the top of the worst is definitely University. I use the other worlds more often
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 11:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
When you look at some of the first ones, such as Riverview, and Sunset Valley, you can see how much the worlds improved by the time Isla Paradiso was done. I know how to redo worlds so love Monte Vista for example, but I did a major redo of it. I also have done a total makeover of Moonlight Falls and others. The one I think was the worst IMO was the one where all was done in black. It had the toy shop and came with the sales pedestals. You could not see a darn thing there, or at least I could not. It got deleted the fastest in my game.

And it's pretty obvious, too - the earlier worlds all have a less sophisticated look to them. Sunset Valley, Twinbrook, Bridgeport etc. all have a somewhat similar and generic look to them, and when you look at the later worlds, you can definitely see that they figured out how to make the worlds pretty through their layout, that they learned what to do with lots, and that they figured out where to use roads and where not to.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#8 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

Midnight Hollow! Totally agree. Could not see a thing in that world and the mountains made the camera bounce around horribly. I keep it installed though just for all the wonderful Victorian build items. But yes, that one gets another least favorite vote from me.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Scholar
#9 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 11:47 AM
All EA's made worlds from ep's and base game. They are boring,too big and buggy.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#10 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 11:57 AM
I totally agree on the midnight hollow thing! I really like old-fashioned or goth-ish looking stuff but Midnight Hollow, even though it was kind of a creative world, it just... was way to dark. I ended up needing a different lighting mod to fix it and it still looked incredibly dark. It just doesn't work. I think they also missed a great opportunity with the shops somewhere in the middle of the world. Everyone seemed to visit that toy store that came with it and... well not the rabbit hole stores.

One world that I've only boosted up once is barnacle bay, just... because I just can't seem to like that on. To be fair, I totally forgot about it's existence lol
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 2:02 PM
I've never tried Midnight Hollow, I don't know what it exactly looks like, but I know I don't like it. Didn't even bother to get it for the Open For Business stuff.
But as much as Midnight Hollow doesn't excite me, Roaring Heights does. I love the 40s theme, the LA-Miami art deco jazzy theme.
And Bridgeport has a gritty East Coast theme. I'm looking at cities like Boston, New York and Pittsburgh to make it more convincing, and if I ever get CAW working I'll re-imagine it in the same style as @jje1000 's new world.

insert signature here
Scholar
#12 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 3:34 PM
Mine has to be University Town. It has so many routing issues, I found it totally unplayable and was at the point of uninstalling University Life until I tried Ellacharmed's fixed version. Another good alternative is Teawitch's Pinewood Academy (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=520269)

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 4:22 PM
My least favorite world is Isla Paradiso, because the game grinds to a stop after a few days of play. Lots of sims getting stuck with the water taxies. Sunlit Tides is a fair substitute.

Many of the Houses in Barnacle Bay are buggy and have routing problems.

One day I'm going to put a spa in University. I like some of the houses there. I got a thing for well done houses on foundations that have basements. So, I copy those houses (after de-Universifiying them) and use them in other worlds.

I never play Appaloosa Plains because it means I have pets selected. Pets make me cry. I don't like it when my dog dies. (IRL, I have two old dogs and I don't want to think about that) I don't play to get bummed out. I play for success, achievements and glory. (Game needs more glory, IMHO. Maybe a Glory Expansion Pack. Rock Star doesn't do it for me.).

Roaring Heights, Midnight Hallow and Dragon Valley are themed worlds and really good, BUT after awhile Story Progression makes the sims there look out of place, which ruins the ambiance. Also, while I appreciate style, I'm the sort of guy who would live in a shipping container because it's practical and I have no sense of style. I just can't build to make a building that looks like it fits in those worlds. I've made acceptable Monte Vista houses tho.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 4:40 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 30th Apr 2017 at 5:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Roaring Heights, Midnight Hallow and Dragon Valley are themed worlds and really good, BUT after awhile Story Progression makes the sims there look out of place, which ruins the ambiance. Also, while I appreciate style, I'm the sort of guy who would live in a shipping container because it's practical and I have no sense of style. I just can't build to make a building that looks like it fits in those worlds. I've made acceptable Monte Vista houses tho.

Yeah, that's kind of the biggest problem. There isn't enough content in the game to fully support any of these themes, and even if there were, you'd just be distracted by all the stuff that sticks out like a sore thumb. Like the bright yellow cabs that drive around everywhere.
And while it's annoying in my 80s Bridgeport and extra annoying in 40s Rhoaring Heights, it's downright impossible to keep the world 100% haram in any setting that isn't just in the past.
I'm sure you can make Sims stop using cell phones, I'm sure you can throw the 55" flatscreen out and put a nice CRT in there, and I'm sure you can replace the taxicabs with an old Crown Vic or whatever. But good luck trying to ban all modern fashon and technology entirely.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#15 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 5:37 PM
Hmm... It seems most of my favorite worlds already have flaws built into them.

I love the Island vibe of Isla Paradisio, BUT I hate switching between land taxi and water taxi to get anywhere.

I love the spooky/neo-victorian vibe of Midnight Hollow, BUT it's hella dark and there are two big stretches of road with absolutely NOTHING on them.

I love Twinbrooke for it's nice circular layout and emphasis on creativity, BUT it seems so horribly dated now that more expansion packs have come along. Plus everyone there has a Pun name, not cool.

I suppose my absolute least favorite EA worlds would have to be Appaloosa Plains and Bridgeport. For Appaloosa Plains, I just don't like the half-assed "wild west" theme they did, and none of the pre-made families really appeal to me. Bridgeport is hella buggy, and I felt that the "urban vibe" of the place was lost in an effort to make as many nightclubs as physically possible. You have less than 100 citizens, why do you need a dozen nightclubs!?! The "celebrity" system was also poorly executed, as there was no way to lose fame, no matter how "scandalous" the sim behaved.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 6:15 PM Last edited by HarVee : 30th Apr 2017 at 6:26 PM.
Al Simhara would be my least favourite. The routing is horrible causing the game to lag way to much. The road layout is confusing and makes no sense (even for Egypt). The famous landmarks are arranged in a completely idiotic way with the Pyramids facing off-centered and bit more diagonal than they should. The Nile river is to narrow causing even more routing problems if you have Island Paradise installed and the 1.55 patch installed that allowed Sims to swim in other bodies of water than pools. Which is completely shameful because boating is huge activity in Egypt.

The Sims all have pudgy pudding faces and do not seem to take much inspiration from Nubian, Greek, and Arab genetics at all. The layouts of the houses seem odd often designed with bigger rooms than they should. And the final thing that I do not like about it: Where is a Mosque? Many of the ancient cultural practices are not in practice anymore and do not have as much as an effect on modern Egyptian life as Mediterranean and Arab culture does.

I do not know what place this is, but it is certainly not Egypt as I know it.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Where is a Mosque? Many of the ancient cultural practices are not in practice anymore and do not have as much as an effect on modern Egyptian life as Mediterranean and Arab culture does.

That's easy. There aren't any churches either, because EA doesn't seem to think that there should be any emphasis on religion in the world of The Sims, and I think they're right in thinking that. That's not to say that there is no religion in the games, or that they deny any of it, but I think they simply choose not to directly address it.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 6:34 PM
Al Simhara would be my least favourite. The routing is horrible causing the game to lag way to much. The road layout is confusing and makes no sense (even for Egypt). The famous landmarks are arranged in a completely idiotic way with the Pyramids facing off-centered and bit more diagonal than they should. The Nile river is to narrow causing even more routing problems if you have Island Paradise installed and the 1.55 patch installed that allowed Sims to swim in other bodies of water than pools. Which is completely shameful because boating is huge activity in Egypt.

The Sims all have pudgy pudding faces and do not seem to take much inspiration from Nubian, Greek, and Arab genetics at all. The layouts of the houses seem odd often designed with bigger rooms than they should. And the final thing that I do not like about it: Where is a Mosque? Many of the ancient cultural practices are not in practice anymore and do not have as much as an effect on modern Egyptian life as Mediterranean and Arab culture does.

I do not know what place this is, but it is certainly not Egypt as I know it.

To be fair, EA doesn't include any religious buildings of any sort. There's no Cathedral in Champs les Sims, nor is there a proper temple in Shang Simla.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 6:53 PM Last edited by HarVee : 30th Apr 2017 at 7:13 PM.
Except that many of the buildings in Al Simhara depict real entities and deities of a real religion and were used for religious practices (tombs as an example) and the whole design of Al Simhara seemingly addresses its existence? So therefor the not wanting to depict religion argument fails, even if we take into consideration that the ancient religion of Egypt is not commonly practiced. It is still practiced in smaller "pagan" communities worldwide. And even if they wanted to avoid causing offence to other religious groups, they could have still created a building that only looks like a Mosque? Same goes for Cathedrals too. It doesn't have to function like it, but rather just look like it.

But the Mosque was really just exaggeration to the point I was attempting to make and that point was that there is more to Egypt than what EA included and they seemingly failed to represent the place with a sense of belief. Not accuracy, as no computer game can be completely accurate, but simply belief. I do not believe like my Sim is visiting Egypt.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

dodgy builder
#20 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 7:05 PM
This discussion would be more interesting if we could talk about cc worlds, but I guess that wouldn't be polite.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 7:14 PM
But the Mosque was really just exaggeration to the point I was attempting to make and that point was that there is more to Egypt (and also China and France too) than what EA included and they seemingly failed to represent these places with any sense of belief. Not accuracy, as no computer game can be completely accurate, but simply belief. I do not believe like my Sim is visiting Egypt.

So how about the Eastlands world? I haven't been to Egypt since I was a little boy, so I can't be too sure, but isn't it similiar to Egypt?

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st May 2017 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
This discussion would be more interesting if we could talk about cc worlds, but I guess that wouldn't be polite.

Yeah I thought so too, but you're right it's not polite IMO we're allowed to critique EA because we pay good money for their game and worlds (especially store worlds), they need that feedback. Most if not all custom world creators do it out of hobby and sheer love for the game and don't make money off it despite spending so much time on it. Just my 2 cents.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 1st May 2017 at 6:34 AM
Moonlight Falls is my least favorite, simply because it's too boring, i can't think of anything that makes it look better. Starlight Shores is also quite terrible, but atleast it can be fixed just by replacing some buildings.

And i agree, we shouldn't start criticizing cc worlds here. Y'all better post your feedbacks to their creators.
Scholar
#24 Old 1st May 2017 at 10:02 AM
I actually like Isla Paradiso's design idea, but it does have its issues; even with the fixed version for download here.

I really don't like Bridgeport. I like a city-esque world, but that one feels really big and very, very slow. The repeated wait for elevators practically everywhere...
Scholar
#25 Old 1st May 2017 at 12:12 PM
Fuck Barnacle Bay. Fuck its re-used Sunset Valley assets, its one (barely) original kitchy rabbithole diner, its lazy and simple yet somehow poorly done theme, its uninspired name, its mismatched layout. The one saving grace about that steaming load is that it made every other world look better for simply not being Barnacle Bay.

- University World has great houses, but the layout of the map is like Sims 2 where there were useless open spaces everywhere.
- Midnight Hollow's community lots were well done but the houses were terrible. (Living areas were all tiny, but the hallways/foyers massive.)

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Page 1 of 2