Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 3:06 AM
Default How do you treat reproduction in your game?
For example, is it a male and female only, or can two Sims of the same sex have one? What about infertility and miscarriages? Is abortion allowed? Do you use a hospital mod, or is it always at home?

Here's how I do it. A male and female Sim can reproduce, barring any infertility issues. As well, two female Sims can reproduce (I want to make a joke about a turkey baster, but it's probably inappropriate here). However, a male Sim can only get pregnant if he has been previously abducted by aliens - they modified his internal plumbing. Sims can always abort before the first baby bump, but afterwards depends on the circumstances. There's a well-funded orphanage and Sims can give up their children with no questions asked, so it's not so bad.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 3:25 AM
I don't usually use birth control - my sims deal with the babies they have, even if it means them fainting.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 3:39 AM
Reproduction is as reproduction is in real life, I suppose. Only women can be impregnated by males and only males can only be impregnated by aliens. Of course, my same sex couples can always get a surrogate and/or adopt.

I do use inteen and have the miscarriages set up for some family drama. I don't do abortions, which is less a reflection of my views and more just that I like sim babies. Sims who dont want their babies can drop their children off at the orphanage. It's not well-funded and the fates of children who never get adopted can be sad...

I dont have a hospital mod, and my sims are the type who will give birth on the front lawn in the snow if that's where they so chose to be.

I havent tweaked the infertility settings, but whether my sims woohoo or try for baby is up to chance. If both sims want to try for baby, they will always try for baby. If only 1 wants it, or neither, then they will have a 50/50 shot of woohooing or trying for baby each time unless they bought protection from the pharmacy in advance.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 3:40 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jun 2017 at 2:35 PM.
Mostly male and female, but back when I played generational I had some families with same-sex couples. They usually adopted, until I found a mod that let them have babies the "regular" way. I also loved playing with alien babies, so men weren't exactly spared the experience even if they were straight...

I did play around with a couple of orphanages some years back, but I guess I got tired of that as well. My sims haven't adopted babies for quite some time.

I do have the inteen mod, so I did use to play around with teen births and miscarriages, until I got tired of that quite a few years back.

I don't use a hospital mod, so most sims give birth at home - unless I'm doing storytelling, in which case I usually have a residential hospital set for them.

I have the Triplets/quads mod, which I use all the time to control the amount of babies. I used to love playing with triplets and quads, nowadays not so much, but it happens. I have no rules when it comes to amount of babies unless it's for a story or some such.
Scholar
#5 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:11 AM
I generally stick to male-female or alien-male, although I did have one hood where I used the Tombstone of L & D to get abducted female Sims alien pregnant. Sims try for baby whenever one of them rolls the want, and have a 10% chance (dice roll) of trying for baby when they just want to woohoo. Same-sex couples adopt.

I don't have InTeen (yet), but if I do manage to install it, I'll get the No Miscarriage pak as well.

All births take place at home.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:25 AM
I play realistically, so children can only be carried by females impregnated by males. I don't play aliens, so nobody gets impregnated by them. Same sex couples can adopt or use a surrogate/donor.

Abortion is allowed, and is decided using the method on this page. Also detailed on the page is the system I use for adoption.

Male and female sims can be affected by infertility, as well as different levels of fertility, chosen at random when they become a teen:

Infertile (2% chance of pregnancy each try) [4]
Low Fertility (7% chance of pregnancy each try) [6]
Average Fertility (15% chance of pregnancy each try) [60]
High Fertility (35% chance of pregnancy each try) [6]
Very Fertile (50% chance of pregnancy each try) [4]
(For anyone who doesn't use an ROS, the numbers in square brackets are how likely the randomizer is to pick that option, so sims are far more likely to be given average fertility than the other options.) I've chosen these percentages because in real life even those with average fertility usually have to try for a while to get pregnant. Sims who can't get pregnant can adopt or pay a surrogate/donor or try IVF for a fee.

As for births, sims can give birth at home alone (cheapest option, but most risky, is usually only for extremely poor sims) give birth at home with a midwife using Chris Hatch's mod, or give birth at the hospital also using a Chris Hatch mod (most expensive option). I'm not sure what benefits giving birth in hospital will offer yet, perhaps it will be that the mother and baby(s) will be immunized immediately using the PC-Sims doctor kit.

I use Inteen, so sims can also have miscarriages with that package. I know some people like to have happy neighbourhoods where every child is wanted, every child makes it to term and every child is healthy, but I wanted to inject some realism and also take those issues out of my hands, because I feel I am always very controlling with my sims, and they are constantly happy, and then I get bored of them. That's why I use the randomizer.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:27 AM
I do the usual female/male routine, but recently have found that there have been in real life transgender males who have become pregnant. Did not know that could be possible, but it is:

http://people.com/bodies/transgende...y-with-partner/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ticle-1.2435731

So, for the sake of gameplay if two males end up together, it could be construed as a case of this happening, and it makes the impossible seem almost possible. Otherwise, they will adopt a child or have a surrogate carry a child. No aliens allowed in my hood. (Although Mortimer Goth is very fond of them...)

I never use the abortion routine of ACR-and I haven't lost many babies to miscarriage-and I don't try to make that happen, either-because it is just such a miserable and sad experience for the female that I can't stand to watch her suffer.

Home births are standard.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Link Ninja
#8 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:27 AM
I don't play with aliens so males never have births. Same sex couples adopt or use surrogates/have donors. I have no mods for miscarriages but sometimes I abort ACR preganancies if they already have too many kids. Births always happen at home.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:30 AM
I love mpreg. Can't resist getting a male sim probeded and pregnant, and it's funny when he cries from the experience - because little does he know that things are gonna get worse... or better... depending on how one looks at things.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:49 AM
Sims get put on birth control if I feel it suits their character, or if they've reproduced enough. There are only so many Broke offspring I am willing to deal with.
Female pregnancy only, no aliens, no mpreg. Gay couples can either adopt or use surrogacy or artificial insemination.
I never select 'Try For Baby' - ACR makes that decision. Pregnancy termination can happen, but it's very specific to that particular Sim's current situation and personality. Miscarriages happen, but it's a random Insim thing and not controlled by me. Babies are all born at home.
I have the Triplet and Quads hack, and every now and then if I'm feeling particularly frivolous, I'll hit the 'Random' button. Again, this depends on the situation - if a Sim seems to be taking forever to get pregnant, I'll assume there are fertility issues, and that perhaps they needed to use IVF technology, which would increase the chance of multiple births. Or maybe if a Sim has a family history of multiples, or they're a particularly attractive couple and i want more babies from such fine breeding stock, or sometimes if I am just a glutton for punishment and get the burning urge to raise quad toddlers every now and then.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:52 AM
Male and female Sims can reproduce and both can have alien pregnancies in my game. I don't have same sex pregnancy mods, but lesbian Sims can have sperm donors via the Sim Blender and gay Sims can have surrogates. They just can't have biological children with their partners. Often my gay Sims will be the sperm donors for my lesbian Sims. Sometimes they'll raise the kid together or act as the aunt/uncle.

I never really use adoption because I love seeing the mix of features between parents. There's no surprise because I already know what all my face templates look like. Maybe if I ever have a kid taken by social services.

No real infertility other than how many days it takes Try for Baby to succeed. Sims who want a baby are guaranteed one. Any others are between them and ACR.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:13 AM
Inventor
#13 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:19 AM
Ah, I was actually thinking about this very thing earlier today! I'm retooling my interpretation of the alien scenario and got to thinking about whether I wanted to shake things up further by installing a Pregnancy For All mod. I've previously considered whether to install BoilingOil's Alien Experiments mod. But I wouldn't use most of the options, so it seems like a hefty thing just to enable the option of switching whether someone can get pregnant or impregnate someone else.

In the past, reproduction was mostly male/female, though I have had at least one male couple where both of them got pregnant. My reasoning was one partner was a Mad Scientist who studied what aliens did, so he knew how to make it work. Once his partner was successfully impregnated, he got himself abducted so they could be pregnant together and have their children grow up together (along with the children of the other couple in the household). I've also done the adoption route for both same-sex and different-sex couples. I had a male/female pair who kept regularly rolling wants to have another child, but even when I took her off ACR birth control the wife just wouldn't get pregnant. So they ended up adopting via the Maxis route. I nearly gave in to their want for a third.

Miscarriages don't happen as I don't have a mod that handles it. Inteen would conflict with too many things I have and has default options I don't want, which would require installing even more stuff to disable them. ACR does pretty much everything else I want. I'm not sure I have the heart to inflict such a thing on them, in any case. I haven't yet used ACR's Morning After Pill option but already plan to employ it in the future if a sim is abducted without their consent. I probably won't otherwise terminate a pregnancy. How fertile a sim is is up to ACR, though on occasion I've nudged it one way or the other. Almost all female sims are put on birth control unless I think it's in character for them to either refuse it or not care to keep up with it. I've done both Maxis adoption and an orphanage/foster setup. I haven't yet tried the surrogate/donor route.

If my sim pregnancies lasted longer than three days, I might have bothered with faking going to a hospital or having some kind of midwife. As it is, my sims give birth at home, usually in the bedroom. I try to keep a mental track of about when they're due to deliver and move them out of any strange areas like the bathroom or kitchen.
Theorist
#14 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:23 AM
Only females can become pregnant in my game, by a male. I do not allow same sex pregnancies, nor do I play any of the supernaturals, so alien pregnancies do not occur either.

Not all sims are allowed children - once a female sim becomes an adult, I roll a die to determine their fertility chances and set it in ACR. I also make use of birth control, but will on occasion roll a die to determine the birth control failure rate for a random sim during a playing rotation.

Also use a ROS, silent pregnancy mod, miscarriage mod and TJ's random version of the triplets/quads mod to add a certain element of surprise a.k.a. stress.

For sims that really want children, but have a hard time conceiving or carrying to term, adoption is sometimes allowed. Not really big on playing large households, so sometimes it's nice to go from one that has children, to one that has none.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 7:42 AM
I don't use any pregnancy mods or ACR so I decide who gets children, which means they can try for a child if they roll a want to have one. Very rarely do I get alien babies and I've usually killed them off if they look particularly ugly. I used to let Sims adopt, but my main neighbourhood is populated enough. Unwanted kids can go to an orphanage. One is well-funded, the other is not (for kids of poor families).
Forum Resident
#16 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 8:13 AM Last edited by SIMelissa : 30th Jun 2017 at 10:37 PM.
I am fascinated by the information in this thread. So much to learn!
I play a fairly vanilla game. Females get pregnant with males as the father. Same sex couples adopt Maxis style. When I do play Aliens (not in my current game) I allow my males to get pregnant via abduction. I agree with JDacapo, the male births are so much more touching that female births.

I do play with ACR, but don't use all the options. I often put my Sim on birth control, but I've never used the morning after pill. I also use SimBlender, but have not used the terminate pregnancy or give up child options. While I knew the Risky Woo-hoo setting could be adjusted, I did not know it could be changed for individual Sims. That is good to know as I'd like some Sims to have a greater risk of pregnancy than others.

I had a hospital and one hospital birth in my last game. I'll probably build another hospital and install the hospital package again. All the rest of my Sims have given birth at home without the assistance of a midwife.

I don't use any mods that allow for spontaneous miscarriage, teen pregnancy or surrogate pregnancies, mostly because I'm afraid of adding anything (ie: InTeenimator) that might conflict with something else. Teen pregnancy might be interesting once or twice, but I don't know that I could deal with the sadness of a Sim having a miscarriage.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 8:42 AM
Yup, it's one of the reasons I like using the riskier abduction freetime mod. It's just so heartwarming to see the new daddy rocking and cooing at his baby <3
Mad Poster
#18 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:36 AM Last edited by Rosawyn : 1st Jul 2017 at 1:15 AM.
In my game, both males and females can be impregnated by alien abduction (I have a mod that removes the weird sexism from the pollination techs). Expanding on this, I have a rule that any sim with alien eyes is capable of impregnating another sim, regardless of gender, and any sim with alien skin is capable of being impregnated by another sim, regardless of gender. (I don't have any mods to make this happen automatically; I handle it with the sim blender.) And yes, a sim with both alien skin and alien eyes could impregnate and be impregnated by another sim with both alien skin and alien eyes, regardless of either of their genders.

Female sims in my game each have one fertile day per season; I roll a die and mark the day in her bio. On a sim's fertile day, she must "try for baby" or avoid woohoo, but on all other days, she may only woohoo and not "try for baby." I also roll dice to determine when she'll go through menopause, since I play with adjusted ages and the adult stage ends up being much longer than in vanilla (I'd have to look at the numbers, but I think it's roughly twice as long, while the elder stage is much shorter); I feel it's also more realistic for different women to go through menopause somewhat earlier or later, and of course women irl tend to go through menopause at least a few years before they'd consider themselves an "elder." lol (Sims with either alien skin or eyes are currently exempt from this entire system by virtue of alien biology being different.)

I've never gone looking for miscarriage mods as I've never wanted anything like that in my game. As someone who's suffered a rather traumatic miscarriage myself, the entire topic is very upsetting, and I generally like sims to be an escape from the more awful parts of reality.

I've never had any need for abortion in my game, as my sims never get pregnant without my express user input (and so far I haven't encountered any of the serious pregnancy-related glitches either). In nearly all cases, the sims themselves also want the baby (at least one of them, but usually both). I think so far I've only actually had one baby who wasn't wanted by either parent, and I cheated that pregnancy with Sim blender in the first place (the couple had woohoo'd about six times in one day, but it wasn't until after he caught her cheating that I realized I wanted them to have a baby, and of course by that point they weren't exactly on "woohooing terms").

I've been vaguely bouncing other rules for fertility and whatnot around in my head, regarding witches, werewolves, and other supernaturals. I'm pretty sure I'd allow f/f or m/m couples to conceive if at least one of them was a witch, but I might require some sort of magical reagents, as magic that powerful really shouldn't be "free" in my mind. I might also allow witches to offer fertility services to non-witch couples, but I'd have to work out the details and decide what makes sense.

Edited to add:
I have not implemented any infertility mechanic, but my "fertile day" system sometimes comes with some interesting quirks that lead to fertility issues. The rule is that if the little seasons display thing shows "4 days left in Summer," as an example, then it's the second day of the season for the purposes of that sim's fertility, and sometimes the season thing updates early or late. Naomi Hunt (whose fertile day is the 3rd of a season) couldn't get pregnant on her honeymoon due to the seasons display stubbornly staying on "4 days left in Spring" until it was time to go home (well over 24 hours since it changed from "5 days left in Spring").
Field Researcher
#19 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:54 AM
I play with the normal, female-male, males abductions, adoptions that came with the game. I tried to keep it all realistic by having inTeen, miscarriages (though when they happen, it wasn't planned), triplets and quads, then decided nah, females can get pregnant via abduction too. About 2 years ago I added same sex couples, quite liked it despite it not being all that realistic and now just blame my obsession with alien sims. (Aka so many sims have been abducted over time they've ended up taking alien genes, evolved slowly but surely, until they're now at the point where they are able to reproduce with whatever gender. :D)

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 2:21 PM
I to go the same as real life with this mod installed for aliens babies, "No Alien Sexism" by Cyjon http://cyjon.net/node/174

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 3:22 PM
Only females get pregnant and same sex couples will have to adopt or surrogate. The exception is alien pregnancy, where only males get pregnant. I have a miscarriage mod and I can abort a pregnancy with the Sim Blender, but I don't tend to play with risky woohoo, so I don't get unwanted babies, so I only abort if there's a glitch.

I don't have an hacks that deal with infertility, so the only infertility I'd have is if it was built into the game and I've never really had problems having babies ... yet. XD I have Chris Hatch's hospital mod and his midwife mod, so sims can give birth at hospital or at home.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 4:27 PM
I go the 'natural' route and it's only females who can get preggers by woohoo (with a male). However, I allow all the other stuff: fertility treatment, donor insemination, alien male inpregnantion. I have inteen (though have only used it for its intended purpose once), so there's miscarriage and abortion too. There's no orphanage in Little Carping. If they get taken by the social worker, someone has to phone and get them back. Having said that, I've only adopted twice and that was from the pool. I've never had a kid taken. I find sending infertile couples on holiday (vacation) has a 100% hit rate for pregnancy - no birth control anyway but LC seems to have fairly low fertility otherwise. But the most important rule is, only two kids per family - three if they sneak in twins on the second pregnancy. Never more. Nevermore. Don't even think it (didn't stop Janet Syrus though and she's not even a family sim. She had twins on the second pregnancy too - enough woman!).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#23 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:13 PM
Apparently, my game is fully different from anyone else. Let's be honest, I'm a yaoi fangirl. Have been for years. When normal pairings bored me, I made a neighborhood full of guys. So, I have nearly all male relationships and pregnancies with use of the pregforall mod. I actually do not have any playable male/female pairings in my neighborhoods. I have plenty of other ways to make my gameplay more realistic while still being lots of fun.

As for the details...
Try for Baby: I do not influence this. The reason I installed ACR was to butt out of my sims' relationships as much as possible. This includes how many children they have. I also have the silent pregnancy mod in, and it's busted me a few times. Allow unmarried is my global setting, but serious or neat sims (that are not family sims) always use the morning after pill if I see a Try for Baby option pop up unless they roll a want to have kids. Now if I miss it, that's too bad. I may switch over to ACR 2 in the future and this will change.

Infertility: With my 1st generation of Blue Point returning from college, I'll be rolling for every child born from them. Each child will receive a fertility number from 1 to 100. The number they receive will determine how fertile they are. I'm still working out the details on this for right now. (I KEEP CHANGING IT...)

Miscarriage: I have inTeen installed, so my sims are capable of having miscarriages. I am absolutely terrified for my sim, Jet, who got a change of life baby, but his pregnancy is hard for us both. His motives drop very fast, and I have him on bed rest. I panicked the last time he walked on to a community lot. It was a club at that! (Has anyone noticed that? How some sim pregnancies are more difficult than others?)

Abortions: None of my sims have ever had abortions. I don't plan to do it any time soon, but who knows what I'll do in the future. It's unlikely though.

Adoptions: Even the little lost simmies need love. One of my favorite sims was adopted in from the system. However, I do allow sims to put their children up for adoption. I've seen that some sims just don't want to be parents as it doesn't fit their lifestyles.

Aliens: If it happens... *shrugs* I'm hoping to keep the alien gene going in my Sedona hood.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 8:15 PM
I only allow male + female pregnancy. When I have a same sex couple who want children, they can adopt or use a donor. I also use BO's Alien Abduction mod which allows females to also become pregnant from abduction.

I use ACR primarily. I roll for infertility and these sims get a very low percentage set on their tokens. Sims using donors or infertile sims who want a baby can pay for IVF, in theory, though I've never done it or managed to set up a clinic. They would get 1-4 embryos implanted (based on how much they're willing to pay) and each one has a 20% chance of implanting. I guess I might consider allowing this kind of "gene splicing" via IVF in the future, if I had a sim neighbourhood which seemed sufficiently advanced.

Despite being pro choice in real life I never use abortion in TS2 unless the pregnancy is glitched or something. I tend to have sims give up unwanted babies for adoption because I like sims to have genetic history.

Miscarriage is allowed. It adds a level of realism plus it forces me to take better care of my pregnant sims. I hate it when they miscarry and I always get upset but I keep it in the game.

Teen pregnancy is allowed and it happens. I don't like playing with babies on campus, so if my YAs get pregnant they have to drop out or give the baby up. Luckily it doesn't happen very often.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 8:49 PM
It's only my decision who gets pregnant and when. No ACR, no Inteen, All kids are wanted by me and planned. There is still random variety in their sex and personality. When I need baby to be boy or girl, I will replay scenario until I get what I want.
Page 1 of 6