Replies: 3 (Who?), Viewed: 1565 times.
#1 14th Jul 2017 at 5:13 AM Last edited by KTrain : 16th Jul 2017 at 3:22 AM. Reason: Update
XML File Index - Python Program for File RetrievalHave you ever wanted to find one or ten file locations in the XML index at once?
Do you lack the many minutes required to do this?
If you answered yes or no to any of these questions, I have the answer you've been searching for:
KTrain's XML File Retrieval
NEW: v1.1 adds user-friendly interface
I wrote this using Python version 3.5, other versions may work but I have not tested any other version. Python 3.5 is guaranteed to work.
- Python v3.5 needs to be added to the path also in order for this to work.
- Link to download Python 3.5: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-353/
Either: copy XML Index File to the same directory as the program files OR place contents of file in the same directory as XML File Index
- double click run.bat
- type search phrase
- type column number (1-5)
- type setting number: 1, 2, or 3
- 1: Creates new index filtered by search term and column number- type neat columns setting (if applicable)
- 2: Copies files to specified path without creating new index
- 3: Copies files to specified path and creates new index in the directory of the program and in the specified path
- type destination path (if applicable) ~~ The path must be in double quotes!! (sorry, working on this) & It can't end with a backslash. \ Both of these will break the python script.
and BOOM!: Convenient list of XML files matching your search phrase
Pull up to 100 lists with this program: It generates a random number in the file name so file names will never conflict. (Sorry, this could get confusing for you. Let me know if there is a better way to avoid file name conflicts without creating more index files)
Reply with problems, I will fix the program as needed.
- Just send me a screenshot of the error and I will do my best to fix it.
Also, I will be consistently improving the program as I use it more and naturally get annoying with the amount of file handling...
I'm sure someone has done this before but I haven't found one and I conveniently know python.
v1.0 - base program ; creates filtered index
v1.1 - program is much more user friendly ; prompts for each parameter ; 2 more settings for program
v1.1.1 - fixed errors with neat columns ; added more exception handling
p.s. Also available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/313jhvmew...v1-1-1.zip?dl=0
#3 7th Aug 2017 at 6:16 PM
It looks pretty cool. Maybe here is not the place but you seem to be an expert with python and I have a question for you. Im actually doing some mods and my last step to finish it is to do something with python. Do you know some tutorial to learn a bit or something looking up to modding on Sims 4. Im not noob in programming but Python looks pretty weird to me even if I know php html or c++. Thanks in advance for your program :D