Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Curvilinear Librarium

by d4RE Posted 27th Aug 2017 at 12:10 PM - Updated 14th Jun 2020 at 3:34 PM by d4RE : fixed some typos

31 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 16 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:10 PM
Love these d4re - really nice mesh there
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 1:00 PM
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. This is fantastic!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#4 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 4:59 PM Last edited by FranH : 28th Aug 2017 at 11:07 AM.
All I can say is "wow!"-and that this is incredible. Curvy bookcases are awesome!
Thank you for all your hard work!

Playing around with it, I found that one can make a completely enclosed round bookcase (which is quite unique), and that some small objects can be placed on it besides books.
I think I've found my Ideal store shelving that I've been looking for all these years!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 11:51 PM
This is...this is truly incredible, and one of those things I didn't realize I needed until I saw it! Thank you so much.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#6 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 12:38 AM
I love it ! It really add something original to aesthetic of the game. Thanks !
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 12:40 AM
Looks awesome! How did you get the sloped walls/windows?
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:02 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. It's so awesome to work so long on a labor of love like this and be able to share it with folks that appreciate it.

@ jtf04240: Those walls are made with the great Numenor's WallWindows. There is a link to his page in the picture credits. I hardly ever build a lot without making at least one whole room with them. And there are a plethora of recolors for his meshes, so the possibilities are endless.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#9 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 3:29 PM
What a clever idea I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism. The thumbnail picture is not doing you any favors. This is truly creative, a real original creation that at least I haven't seen elsewhere. The profile picture doesn't convey that. I saw the upload, but did not click to look further because I thought it was just a slightly curved bookcase which I did not feel I had a use for. Then someone mentioned making a round bookcase on the forums, and I decided to come take a closer look. Now I realize it's so, so much more than just a slightly curved bookcase. I would swap the thumbnail for one of the pictures where you show a more elaborate bookcase standing in the middle of a room. That way it's more immediately clear that this is no ordinary bookshelf.

Congratulations on managing to fill one of those "I didn't know I needed this but now I realize what a big black void there was"-holes. Really really great creation. Very well deserved pick, and I'd say even featured.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 3:42 PM
These are great! It looks like you were inspired by the TV show Travelers? I recognize the Library from the opening scene.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 10:13 PM
Incredible! Can't wait to build a serpentine library!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 3:28 AM
Hi, this set is crashing my game on startup, even on its own, in a clean game. It loads about 75% and crashes or crashes to desktop. I have all EP's and SP's (not Ultimate Collection).

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 4:16 PM
WOW! Thank you, so much.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Hi, this set is crashing my game on startup, even on its own, in a clean game. It loads about 75% and crashes or crashes to desktop. I have all EP's and SP's (not Ultimate Collection).

I'm very sorry to hear that. Since I don't have enough information to duplicate your results, let's try a couple of troubleshooting baby steps first. Try these (they may or may not all apply, but can narrow things down.):

1. Make sure you have only one set installed ( full, pre-FT, or pre-pets). In the same vein, please make sure that you do indeed have the PETS EP installed, because that will absolutely crash a game.

2. If you have installed any other CC in the last week or so, take it out of the downloads folder to be sure it's the LIbrarium that's causing the crash.

3. Try using the pre-PETS version, to see if you get better results.

4. In case of possible corruption during download, re-DL the files and try again. (The main set is a pretty hefty file, and could have had a hiccup during download.)

If these things don't work, then I'm gonna guess it's maybe a conflict with some other CC in your game that I don't have. Let me know what does and does not work, and I'll correct things if necessary.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 5:23 PM
@aparkin85: Right on the money. The sets they use for that show really stick in my head, and that opening scene - well, it's easily in the top 5 of "WTF is going on here?" opening sequences of all time. I took about 40 screenshots of the computer in the farmhouse later in the series. Planning on making some kind of animated screensaver for my Sims's computor. (some day...)

@gummilutt: I vacillated over that for quite a while, actually. Trying to show convoluted shelf configurations resulted in weird angles that were more or less indecipherable in thumbnail form, and direct overhead shots, while showing the neat design pretty well, did not exactly say, " this is a bookshelf." In the end, I opted for the simpler "headshot", that says without question, "here be shelving" and pray that folks click and get blown away by the possibilities inside. Thank you for your comments. I had some pretty neat heart within heart within heart shelves all set for that pic too; for some dumb reason, I deleted it instead of keeping it for an extra pic.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
I'm very sorry to hear that. Since I don't have enough information to duplicate your results, let's try a couple of troubleshooting baby steps first. Try these (they may or may not all apply, but can narrow things down.):

1. Make sure you have only one set installed ( full, pre-FT, or pre-pets). In the same vein, please make sure that you do indeed have the PETS EP installed, because that will absolutely crash a game.

2. If you have installed any other CC in the last week or so, take it out of the downloads folder to be sure it's the LIbrarium that's causing the crash.

3. Try using the pre-PETS version, to see if you get better results.

4. In case of possible corruption during download, re-DL the files and try again. (The main set is a pretty hefty file, and could have had a hiccup during download.)

If these things don't work, then I'm gonna guess it's maybe a conflict with some other CC in your game that I don't have. Let me know what does and does not work, and I'll correct things if necessary.

1) I have all of the EP's and SP's and only installed the full set.

2) I did it in a clean game. (That is, no other CC, clean install.)

3) Nope, didn't do anything.

4) Same thing, didn't do anything.

By any chance do you have Ultimate Collection because I don't, I have the disc versions of each game.

This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 10:28 PM Last edited by d4RE : 6th Sep 2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: replace bad fix file
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
1) I have all of the EP's and SP's and only installed the full set.

2) I did it in a clean game. (That is, no other CC, clean install.)

3) Nope, didn't do anything.

4) Same thing, didn't do anything.

By any chance do you have Ultimate Collection because I don't, I have the disc versions of each game.

Negative on the UC. Most of my game was installed before 2011. Sorry to make you a guinea pig; just a few more things I can think of to do:

a. make sure files are unRARed before putting in Downloads. (not trying to be smart-alec, just covering all bases)

b. use the 50/50 method to find which file is causing the problem, so I can dissect it.

C. try the attached file to see if it works. ( I extracted it directly from the Double Deluxe disc, then added all the changes that are on the full version already uploaded. The only difference I'm aware of is that the BHAVs are formatted differently. Works in my full game, so here's hoping it's successful for you as well.)

EDIT: I'm gonna be out-of-state for a month or two repairing roofs and rebuilding some barns on my family's property, so internet access is gonna be sketchy for while. I see I don't have any patches installed ( I was never big on downloading software to install - I like physical discs). When I get back, I'll reinstall my game with the patches and one way or another we'll get to the bottom of this. Meanwhile, try the stuff above, and PM me if I can help.

(re)EDIT: Replacing the file here with fixes for whole set (excluding the deco). If you downloaded the file that was here before ("newMainLeft'), you will want to replace it with the one in the new .rar file. The original fix file had some missing BCONs and a screwy GUID that will cause your game to crash in buy mode. There is really no need for everyone to download this alternate set. This is just for those who have problems with the [full] set crashing their game.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  8007 fixes.rar (4.90 MB, 58 downloads)
Description: all parts fixed for those having crashing problem
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
Negative on the UC. Most of my game was installed before 2011. Sorry to make you a guinea pig; just a few more things I can think of to do:

a. make sure files are unRARed before putting in Downloads. (not trying to be smart-alec, just covering all bases)

b. use the 50/50 method to find which file is causing the problem, so I can dissect it.

C. try the attached file to see if it works. ( I extracted it directly from the Double Deluxe disc, then added all the changes that are on the full version already uploaded. The only difference I'm aware of is that the BHAVs are formatted differently. Works in my full game, so here's hoping it's successful for you as well.)

EDIT: I'm gonna be out-of-state for a month or two repairing roofs and rebuilding some barns on my family's property, so internet access is gonna be sketchy for while. I see I don't have any patches installed ( I was never big on downloading software to install - I like physical discs). When I get back, I'll reinstall my game with the patches and one way or another we'll get to the bottom of this. Meanwhile, try the stuff above, and PM me if I can help.

a) I did, heh

b) It seems to be the shelves, the rest of the bits and pieces are fine and load up just great.

c) It seems to be working, thank you so much. Have fun repairing the roofs and barns.

Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 11:17 PM
Default Awesome
That's great. I'll try to update all the pieces this weekend before my trip so nobody else has a problem.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#20 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 6:20 PM
I can only (as many others have) thank you for what must have been an terrific amount of work. this is a truly beautifull creation and I can think of many possibilities that I've always wished could work in Sims 2. Again, many thanks!
Field Researcher
#21 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 3:20 PM
I'm in awe of your librarium.
She is gorgeous. :lovestruc
Thank you so much :P

Make SIMs, not war!

Say the Word and will be free,
Say the Word and be like me.

I'm Fata Morgana at Cradle of Darkness, there are my strange lots http://kativip.ucoz.ru/load/fata_morgana_zone/79
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#22 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 5:57 AM
Thank you for the deco books you took the time to include!
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 8:53 PM
@Goldenbtrfly: you're welcome. and thank you for reminding me to edit the hashtags so people can find the books

Thanks to everyone who have DL'd this set. Of all the mods I've attempted, this is the one of which I'm especially proud, and I really hope you like it. In between other projects, I am still working on updates and improvements for this set, as well as some add-on pieces to make even more bizarre shapes. When everything satisfies me that it will pass for awesome (yeah, no timeline, yet ), I'll update the files.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator THANKS POST
#24 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 11:35 AM
This is a truly great set. I shall use it in my game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
This is a truly great set. I shall use it in my game.

Thank you. I guess you know your "Move Over Dahlen" set inspired how I put these together.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Page 1 of 2