Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Telescope Mod - Random Neighbours

by simler90 Posted 9th Nov 2017 at 3:22 AM - Updated 18th Sep 2022 at 5:56 PM by simler90 : UPDATE 2

26 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#2 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 3:36 AM
Oh, wow! My first post on MTS was searching for a mod that selected a random neighbour. Thank you so much!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#3 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 2:23 PM
This is very cool. It's a bit silly that my Sims ALWAYS get the very same one to get angry at them and it's nice being able to change it.
Thank you very much for giving instructions on how to modify this mod. I'm setting the radius as much shorter (so they peek at a neighbour nearby) and the chance of summoning higher (because they are close enough it's easier to get caught, but not 100% anyway).
Scholar
THANKS POST
#4 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 5:33 PM
I love the touch of realism added here, and thanks for the guide on how to tune it ourselves. One of those mods I didn't know I needed until I saw it!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 7:08 PM
Thank you! I've wanted something like this for a long time!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 2:16 AM
I would like this but I keep getting a message that it's damaged and can't be unpacked. Could you reupload or point me to an alternative download? Thanks!
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 4:08 AM
I'm having the same problem as blockparty.

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 5:13 AM
This is cool, thanks! I wonder if it's possible to make the chance of coming over to slap the sim higher if the sim being peeked at is grouchy.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 8:59 AM
the archive is damaged

Ирина =)
Photo of the Lives of my Sims:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129305086@N06/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 11:28 AM
I just used WinRAR and 7zip to unpack this file, and it worked without any problems. Which software are you using?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 6:14 PM
This is very cool and something I've wished after for a while now. Thanks!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#12 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 6:42 PM
I wonder if there is a problem with the site, because other threads seem to report the broken downloads too.

I think this is great! It is such a wonderful fix that we've needed for a long time. I love the idea of restricting it to nearby neighbours, too.
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 6:43 PM
I'm using WinRAR and it errors for me as well.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#14 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 7:54 PM Last edited by dharden : 10th Nov 2017 at 8:11 PM.
I think it's using the new RAR5 format. Older versions of WinRAR don't recognize that, and can't handle it. Other utilities may or may not have been updated to handle it; apparently 7zip has.

ETA: That's what's happening. When I use the current standalone, command-line UnRAR program, it unpacks. When I use the older GUI version of WinRAR I have, it throws the "unknown format or damaged" error message.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Nov 2017 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dharden
I think it's using the new RAR5 format. Older versions of WinRAR don't recognize that, and can't handle it. Other utilities may or may not have been updated to handle it; apparently 7zip has.

Anybody who is having trouble extracting my mods should use 7zip then. It's also free.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 7:50 PM
I was using an older version on 7zip and it didn't work. Uninstalled and downloaded the current version and it worked, so even if people have 7zip they should check which version they're using.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#17 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 3:30 PM
I always got tired of Mortimer coming over, this will be a nice change. Thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 4:58 AM
I had 7Z and it didn't open, but then i had to re-install a newer version, and it worked. Also this Mod is great
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 4:03 AM
Hurray! This is awesome. It's always bothered me that everyone owning a telescope in a neighborhood all spy on the same sim, like, that has to count as bullying right?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 4:08 AM
Hey, WinRAR is saying the archive is broken. Could you reupload it?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 3:35 AM
THIS ONE TOO IS GOING STRAAAAAIGHT INTO MY FOLDER!! xD Thank you @simler90!!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#22 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 10:01 AM
This is such a good mod,but please fix the file as I tried using WinRAR and even online 7zip and they both say the file is corrupt. Can you please reupload it. Many thanks in advance.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 7:36 AM
Ok I finally upgraded winrar. I was wondering if it is possible or doable for me a newbie to modify/increaase the chance of neighbor showing up on the new updated file?
I also would like to limit the visitor to male adult for my ladies. Thank you very much.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#24 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 10:41 PM
Giving that there are just very few option to build the logic skill in the game, I don't think it's a good idea to remove it from the telescope even if it's just during the day.
A possible solution would be to make two interactions: "Look Through" and "study"or something. Making it possible to also spy during the night (just building fun motive) and also look the sky during the day (building logic and science enthusiasm) (much less fun gaining rate if the user has zero-to-[number] science enthusiasm for example thus making the look through interaction useful too).

Another, easier solution (I think) would be to just keep the logic building at all moments as it was before and just cut the science enthusiasm during the day since they will be spying not studying. The explanation is even if spying, the user is still using and learning the way a telescope works thus learning logic :p
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 2:50 PM
Oh my god, thank you so much! In my game, the lowest value sim was part of my legacy family, so she kept coming over to slap family members she had a great relationship with. So dumb. Why would they even spy on their sister? xD Bless you for making this!
Page 1 of 2