Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:08 AM
Default Windows 8.1 or 10?
Since I had to wipe my computer 2 1/2 months ago I still haven't finished getting Sims 2 back up and running, but I believe all that's left is changing the graphic settings or rules. Something of that nature. I got all the folders (I believe) down (I just haven't felt like playing yet)...and recently me and my husband upgraded our internet. And it's been having constant disconnecting issues and for the past couple weeks comcast has been driving us nuts with not listening, constantly saying one thing and doing another and sending people who don't even look at work orders...only to just now back on the phone yet again with them...finally have someone tell us the minimum specs that apparently this internet requires...and apparently we meet all the minimum requirements (I didn't even know internet had min req. for computers) except windows 8. We both have windows 7, though we have windows 10 but due to all it's issues I never wanted to upgrade. He's checking it on his computer now to see if the problems persist or not. If indeed it's windows 7 that's the problem.....

can I run Sims 2 (and 3 for that matter) on windows 10? Or windows 8.1? And if so which is better, 10 or 8.1?

And now Sims 2 has that new patch....could I still say, delete the documents and program files folders after downloading the Sims 2 again and paste in the ones I have now from saving them on an external HD?

My Simblr
He/They
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:24 AM
I think out of those 10, but I prefer 7. What new patch? You mean the latest version on the UC?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think out of those 10, but I prefer 7. What new patch? You mean the latest version on the UC?

Yes, that's the one I mean. I have the UC

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:41 AM
This is just my experience, but TS2 ran so poorly on Win 8.1 that I barely played. Runs fine on W10 with some tweaks.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:48 AM
The Sims 2 runs quite well on 8.1 from my experience. The typical tweaks to graphics card config and sim shadow fix were needed of course.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
This is just my experience, but TS2 ran so poorly on Win 8.1 that I barely played. Runs fine on W10 with some tweaks.

What kind of tweaks? Are they easy enough? I'm sorry for all the questions, and thank you all for the responses.

Seems Windows 7 isn't compatible with our internet after all. He has it up and running and it's got the speed it was supposed to have but doesn't on windows 7. I hate this, I wish they had told us it had requirements, whoever heard of internet that has min req. for a computer? Seems to be a thing now, and windows 7 isn't cutting it anymore.

So i'm guessing windows 10 is the answer, what kind of tweaks does it need?

Edit: Even my windows 7 computer needs the graphic cards tweaks and shadow fix thing

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:01 AM
And could I say, delete the documents/EA Games and program files/Origin Games/The Sims 2 UC folders after downloading the Sims 2 UC again and paste in the ones I have now from saving them on an external HD? And I currently have not downloaded the new patch, but i'm sure it'll do so automatically when I have to redownload it

My Simblr
He/They
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:02 AM
I have UC and windows 8.1 (which I went to after a fiasco of a windows 10 install) and it runs beautifully. My daughter also downgraded from win 10 and runs 2,3, and 4 fine.
Alchemist
#9 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
What kind of tweaks? Are they easy enough? I'm sorry for all the questions, and thank you all for the responses.

Seems Windows 7 isn't compatible with our internet after all. He has it up and running and it's got the speed it was supposed to have but doesn't on windows 7. I hate this, I wish they had told us it had requirements, whoever heard of internet that has min req. for a computer? Seems to be a thing now, and windows 7 isn't cutting it anymore.

So i'm guessing windows 10 is the answer, what kind of tweaks does it need?

Edit: Even my windows 7 computer needs the graphic cards tweaks and shadow fix thing
They're graphics tweaks, but they're W10-specific.
http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6881
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:19 AM
They're graphics tweaks, but they're W10-specific.
http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6881

Is it difficult? Or just a fairly easy tweak that has to be done?

I am looking at it and i'm just tired and stressed at the moment

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#11 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:27 AM
If you successfully did a graphics fix for Windows 7, you shouldn't have a problem with this. You have to gather some information from Documents, download the correct files then place them in the correct program folders. It might seem daunting if you don't know your way around your computer, but there's a step by step list of instructions.
Scholar
#12 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:30 AM
I have 8.1 and it runs no problem. I use discs, though, rather than the UC. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:32 AM
If you successfully did a graphics fix for Windows 7, you shouldn't have a problem with this. You have to gather some information from Documents, download the correct files then place them in the correct program folders. It might seem daunting if you don't know your way around your computer, but there's a step by step list of instructions.

Honestly it's been so long since I did the graphics fix for windows 7 I don't remember how to do it but I know I did it before, so i'm sure I can do it again.

My Simblr
He/They
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 3:55 AM
I think the real answer is -your millage may vary. :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:37 AM
I have used the UC since it was released and switched to Windows 10 since it was released - I will not go back under any circumstances.

There is an article in my signature that you can look at (Some things may have changed since then, but it should still help).
Mad Poster
#16 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:40 AM
Would you recommend a Windows 7 gaming laptop/pc? 'Cause friends and family have been giving me advice on what kind of new computer to get, and they'd insist that I not get anything from eBay, but I don't want to get a machine that won't play nice with Sims 2 or Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 5:11 AM
I have used Windows 7 for a long time.
Sims 2 works on both 7 and 10.
Sims 3 did work on my 7 - i don't have it installed now, but can't see why it will not work on Windows 10.
Sims 4 works on Windows 7 and 10 (it does require a bit more than the other two when it comes to hardware).
The thing to look at is the processor when you buy a pc - it should be a good one (I have an i-5 but some others will do as well).Enough RAM as well - I have 8 at the moment, because then you can have a thing or 2 running in the background when needed.And the graphics card has to be good as well. Don't go for the minimum, go for the best that you can afford.
You also need to take into account the other things you use your computer for. (I use mine for work as well).
I find windows 10 has a lot of advantages over 7 - example: if a driver is dropped, you can just restart it, no downloading or looking for the CD to install it again. I used Windows 7 for a long time. I also find OneDrive handy, which came with my Windows 10.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 6:04 AM
I had to special order to get Windows 7, and got it with upgraded everything (more cooling, more memory,etc). Works great.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 8:20 AM
Justpetro, grammapat, your replies are very helpful. Thank you! Might do Windows 10 since it does have a 3D-ish free art program. Then again... dunno if I'm much for 3D art design - I'm more into the vector and raster art. And I kinda like oldschool MSPaint better.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:50 PM
Thank you all! At this point the hubby has installed 10 on his and the internet is still dropping out, meaning there is still something wrong with the lines, however at top speed it's doing much better than on windows 7, which at the moment I still have. So I may or may not *need* to go to 10 right now, depending on if fixing the line could stabilize the internet but even if I don't have to strictly speaking (it'd be slower than on his even if it's stable but it may not be, don't know yet) I think i'd have to go to 10 eventually, and why not now if it'd give me faster internet? Sims isn't the only thing I want to play on my computer, I like some MMOs too (hence needing stable internet for that and other things).

I just had to make sure I could still play my beloved Sims 2 and 3 Thank you all!

They should be coming tomorrow for the lines. Hubby has steams today and such, I might end up switching to 10 this weekend.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:36 PM
You still get the old school paint on Windows 10 too, @JDacapo - I use mine for saving my screenshots. All my building pics on MTS have been pasted into Paint first! (I have not even tried the new program yet).
Alchemist
#22 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:34 PM
Sims 3 runs on Windows 10 for me, but as a casual player, I have no idea if it's the optimal OS for that game. You can probably get more in depth advice from the people in the TS3 section.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:57 PM
Sims 3 runs on Windows 10 for me, but as a casual player, I have no idea if it's the optimal OS for that game. You can probably get more in depth advice from the people in the TS3 section.

I also asked on a Sims group on Facebook, a group for Sim lovers that includes the generations and such. It seems that 2 and 3 should work just fine on 10 *crosses fingers*

My Simblr
He/They
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Would you recommend a Windows 7 gaming laptop/pc? 'Cause friends and family have been giving me advice on what kind of new computer to get, and they'd insist that I not get anything from eBay, but I don't want to get a machine that won't play nice with Sims 2 or Sims 3.

If you want to run any newer games, I'd say no. For the sims, it's fine.

For the record, I run the disk version of TS2 (and TS3 and TS4) on Win10 without issues. TS3 even runs with a good number of EPs installed (which I hear can be an issue) - there are no mods in that game though. I don't actually play it regularly.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#25 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:42 PM
Page 1 of 2