Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 5:22 PM
Pets. They absolutely drive me up the fucking wall. I uninstalled the EP out of frustration, and a few times have used the UC and uninstalled because of the fucking Pet wants. TwoJeffs No Pet Obsession doesn't work for me, and I get tired of want panels getting clogged with Pet wants. (I wish there was a way to cancel wants like in Sims 3.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 5:41 PM
I have no problem in ignoring the wants that don't suit me
Mad Poster
#28 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 5:45 PM
I'm fine with ignoring wants if they give me other wants to fill, but its when the whole panel gets clogged with Pet wants that I get frustrated.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 6:12 PM
None. Though I guess without a stuff pack, but I'm probably missing a lot without doing so :D
Mad Poster
#30 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 6:31 PM
I did accidentally forget to install the IKEA stuff pack for a good few months. I only realized when I got missing textures on a custom object.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#31 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
a few times have used the UC and uninstalled because of the fucking Pet wants. TwoJeffs No Pet Obsession doesn't work for me, and I get tired of want panels getting clogged with Pet wants. (I wish there was a way to cancel wants like in Sims 3.)

While I very much would like a way to cancel wants like in Sims 3, I actually wish my sims would have more pet wants; they either don't have pets and don't want them or they do have pets and never want to do anything with them! It's a bit depressing, actually.
Scholar
#32 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 8:41 PM
What are Wants? Is that a thing in the game?

I never pay attention to Wants or Fears.

YOU WILL DO AS I WISH, SMALL PIYONS.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Forum Resident
#33 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 10:25 PM
You'd have to pry the Ikea SP from my cold, dead hands. If I could only keep one SP, that would be it. I don't know how I functioned before their 1-tile dressers and simple modern furniture.

Not super into the product placement, but it's hardly as egregiously useless as the Sims 3 Katy Perry SP with cupcake bras and ice cream furniture.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 10:33 PM
I was so weirded out when I saw the cupcake bra.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#35 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 11:15 PM
I like having them all, but could easily live without Pets.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
In the hoods with hobby enthusiasm taken out, I noticed that sims still gain interest points when they engage in hobby-related activities, hence they max out food interest points even while they're just eating.

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Exactly. And just because I eat every day doesn't mean I become more interested in food, just means I'm human and have to eat to survive. I mean, really, how many people do you know that would describe food as an interest? And how many people do you know that eat regularly? I'm guessing the latter category is significantly larger than the first one

Small but important fix I really love in my game, also made by tunaisafish but not part of his Enthusiasm Overhaul: Food Enthusiasm Fix for Freetime. Makes significant changes to enthusiasm gain for eating actions only (not for cooking), including making the amount of enthusiasm gained dependent on the type and quality of food (eating spoiled/burned food can even cause some loss of food enthusiasm---which seems totally realistic considering how you feel in real life after you have a bad food experience, especially one that makes you sick!).

Me, I play with the UC and adore it (for quite some time before, I only had up to OFB). But I agree that Freetime is the pack which added the most components that seem still not to have been modded to everyone's satisfaction, probably in part because it did so much with the want trees...including affecting interests, which in turn also have some effects on wants.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#37 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Small but important fix I really love in my game, also made by tunaisafish but not part of his Enthusiasm Overhaul: Food Enthusiasm Fix for Freetime. Makes significant changes to enthusiasm gain for eating actions only (not for cooking), including making the amount of enthusiasm gained dependent on the type and quality of food (eating spoiled/burned food can even cause some loss of food enthusiasm---which seems totally realistic considering how you feel in real life after you have a bad food experience, especially one that makes you sick!).

Oh wow, thank you! I had no idea this existed! :lovestruc I don't tend to have any real problems with how my sims grain enthusiasm, but I do want things to make sense!
Forum Resident
#38 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 1:49 AM
You're welcome, Rosawyn.

Actually, I was coming back here to edit my post, but I might as well just add a new one: there's another mod I'd recommend to help a little with the parallel problem of all sims gaining Film and Lit enthusiasm from background watching: Neder's Semiautonomous Movies.

Now sims can't initiate movie watching when uncontrolled, even in the background (but can join anysim already watching a movie). Cleverly though, the mod makes a really smart exception that applies for all sims, whether playable or not, and whether controlled or not: those with the Film and Lit OTH can always start watching a movie. So over time, it changes behavior across your neighborhood so that the F&L sims (yours as well as townies/dormies/etc) will be the ones gaining more F&L enthusiasm as well as more Entertainment interest.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#39 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 1:53 AM
My main problem with F&L is that it's nearly impossible to actually gain enthusiasm in that hobby! Maybe part of it is in how I play, but I think the main issue is that it's literally just watching movies and reading books, not five billion interesting activities like both M&D and A&C. That mod might help, I guess, in that it would help the OTH sims actually end up with more enthusiasm than everyone else, but it still doesn't really address my main problem with that hobby.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 4:06 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 21st Nov 2017 at 10:43 AM.
For those in the thread not maximally satisfied with Freetime, there was previously this thread where some other useful information was shared, so it might be worth a read.

Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
My main problem with F&L is that it's nearly impossible to actually gain enthusiasm in that hobby! Maybe part of it is in how I play, but I think the main issue is that it's literally just watching movies and reading books, not five billion interesting activities like both M&D and A&C. That mod might help, I guess, in that it would help the OTH sims actually end up with more enthusiasm than everyone else, but it still doesn't really address my main problem with that hobby.

Whenever not knowing what to do with a hobby is the thing, I like to recommend this thread. Its first post alone is pretty epic: very, very comprehensive, with ideas helpful to getting more use/appreciation out of several of the hobbies.

(Edit: I do hope I'm not getting disagreed with because someone doesn't like either of the two threads I've linked to, or just dislikes my recommending other threads. Both those threads mentioned still are chock-full of useful info related to FT and hobbies. Sure, I could have extracted the info by retyping here and even claiming it as my own thoughts. But as I've been saying today, I think a lot of folks don't realize what a rich resource MTS' older threads already are, and I'd like people to know. Also, sometimes finding useful information means going into threads whose premise you may disagree with. If you refuse to do this, you'll miss the answers to a lot of questions you may never realize you could have had. So that's up to you...and meanwhile, I'm leaving my post as it is, other than adding this note.)

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I'm fine with ignoring wants if they give me other wants to fill, but its when the whole panel gets clogged with Pet wants that I get frustrated.

I know what you mean Orilon. Although for me the ability to have pets in a sims game really is a make it or break it deal so I would never in a million years uninstall this expansion, I also feel like sims obsession is well and beyond over the top. You guys do realize that not counting the miner pets there are four distinct wants for having a pet? They are "Obtain a pet","Have a Puppy","Have a Kitten",and finely "Have a puppy or a Kitten" I have litterly had sim children who's entire want panel was filed up with just these wants for days on end. Though at least for me installing more expansions did reduce that quite a bit.

As for me there really aren't any expansions that I feel I am better off uninstalling. Like others have said, most annoyances can be modded out and even I don't like the main feature of a pack there usually is something about it I do like and wouldn't like to lose. Of course that's not to say I don't have least favorites.

In my pre UC, for the most part I bought the expansions in order of how much I felt I would get out of them game play wise. Obsessively pets was my first expansion (not counting nightlife because I had double deluxe for my base game) because I did't want my sims to live in a world without the joy my RL pets brought me. I ended up with every expansion except university which I left for last because I didn't find the core game play in it as appealing to me. I did how ever want it for many of the items and other changes. Before I had the money to buy it though both the site I bought DD from and origin had taken it down. I also only had the SP's that came in compilation packs.

Eventual EA dropped UC in my library and set me an email. I remember being super exited because it would mean that I would be able to have everything, including somethings I thought I could never get such as Happy Holiday stuff. The first thing I did was to explore University. The actual game play I found to be rather dull but it had been such a long time since i had been able to play at all that I did't really care. I was exited about all the new items in the pack that I have always wanted such as the band instruments. I still send my sims to college but mostly just try to get it over as soon as possible but use the items quite a bit.
At first I was not really impressed with the IKEA stuff pack either. I liked the items that came with it but felt like everything was miss matched and nothing went together. Fortunately HugeLunatic's IKEA respiratory fixes and add on's and Michele's recolors saved it for me and now many of its sets are some of the most used in my game.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by keyqueen
I know what you mean Orilon. Although for me the ability to have pets in a sims game really is a make it or break it deal so I would never in a million years uninstall this expansion, I also feel like sims obsession is well and beyond over the top. You guys do realize that not counting the miner pets there are four distinct wants for having a pet? They are "Obtain a pet","Have a Puppy","Have a Kitten",and finely "Have a puppy or a Kitten" I have litterly had sim children who's entire want panel was filed up with just these wants for days on end. Though at least for me installing more expansions did reduce that quite a bit.

I actually have a rule for this - if a Sim rolls a want to have either a puppy or a kitten, that's fine, as is the generic "obtain a pet," and both are likely to be locked and fulfilled at some point. But if they roll multiple wants for getting pets at once--sorry, no pets for you.

Field Researcher
#43 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
You'd have to pry the Ikea SP from my cold, dead hands. If I could only keep one SP, that would be it. I don't know how I functioned before their 1-tile dressers and simple modern furniture.

I really miss the Ikea SP. One tile dressers were a wonderful thing, and the bedrooms in the homes I built shrank from the moment it was installed. I have, however, taken the decision that I much prefer to play the game natively on the Mac instead of fiddling around rebooting into Windows all the time and having my fans rev like crazy. So I guess you could say that I've chosen not to install FT or AL, or the later stuff packs. I still drop into Windows occasionally to tweak things in SimPE, but I haven't played there for a while.

The main things I miss aren't the hobbies or apartments (especially as I have Inge's keys to fake the latter), it's the little things. Neighbourhood terrain adjustment, quarter tile placement, ceilings, the architecture category in build mode...

(Which I guess means that the one stuff pack I'd keep if I could, even over Ikea, would be M&G. Sigh.)
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 9:42 PM
I've never really felt a reason to on the Sims 2. My computer works fine with all of them and there's nothing I truly despise that would make me uninstall an entire EP/SP. I will say though that I've done this for TS3, that lag is ridiculous.

"'Why is Shinji blushing over everything Kaworu does,' you ask? He's gay..... gay gay gay gay gay" -Actual Kaworu
Alchemist
#45 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 1:15 AM
only reason I would uninstall a pack would be if I needed to reinstall it.
if I wanted to play without an installed pack, I would create an AnyGame without that pack.
just a girl
#46 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 6:45 PM
I see interests as acceptable conversational topics for certain sims (are they even used by the game for anything else?). From this point of view, it makes sence that most people would more or less like to talk about food from time to time. At least they mostly won't hate it as they could with politics. Who would have anti-interest in food? (and weather).
But I can see, that from another point of view, if a player takes interests more seriously or interprets them differenly, it might not make sence.

To stay on topic, I used to think about picking and choosing with Sims 3, especially for performance reasons and some really bugging NPCs and features. But the Sims 2, I find mostly well balanced and very moddable, so I wouldn't get rid of any EP.
Inventor
Original Poster
#47 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 6:56 AM Last edited by Sketching : 23rd Nov 2017 at 8:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
I see interests as acceptable conversational topics for certain sims (are they even used by the game for anything else?). From this point of view, it makes sence that most people would more or less like to talk about food from time to time. At least they mostly won't hate it as they could with politics. Who would have anti-interest in food? (and weather). But I can see, that from another point of view, if a player takes interests more seriously or interprets them differenly, it might not make sence.

Thanks for understanding, Lamare. It's mostly a playstyle problem for me because I use interests for a variety of things, and I have mods in place that also make use of interests, like Harder Grades. Because I meticulously make my CAS sims and sometimes play the premades, the interests, combined with aspiration, backstory, and personality, are important in helping me make decisions for them or at least interpret their actions.

When I make CAS sims, I tend to deliberately give them a few maxed out interests, then some high, average, low, and none, and my interpretations for them differ. A sim who hates weather might dislike it because they came from an area with harsh blizzards, but another might not like it because it messes up his hair. The household member who likes food the most will usually be the resident cook and those with low interests will either buy take-out or prepare the meals that require the least effort on their part. How would a couple decide on their children's education if one hates school and the other loves it?

Sometimes I'm at a loss when it comes to a sim, and they suddenly do something interest-related to inspire me. I posted a story dilemma once, and I was at a loss whether to send a sim to university; her randomized LTW didn't seem to fit her either but I didn't know what else would. I put off playing her household as much for a while to think things through, but when I sent her to a library downtown, she autonomously went after a BG magazine and maxed out her interest in Sports, cluing me to the possibility of her becoming an athlete or at least working at the gym to pay off possible university loans.

I don't know how strongly interests affect wants, though I once saw a thread that briefly touched on it, and natboopsie mentions that it does to a degree. Regardless of the actual wants rolled, which is another topic entirely, however, I feel like I lose a significant part of what makes each of my sims, for the lack of a better word, interesting and unique if they all max out their interests in food, culture, and other areas just because of activities that shouldn't necessarily do so. I have moderated it to some degree, but I still find myself having to wrestle with FT for other reasons.

I don't want to hijack my own thread with something completely off-topic, but thank you to the members for understanding where I'm coming from with this, and thank you, @natboopsie for the food enthusiasm fix that I've been searching for and for the informative posts as well. I also appreciate that we're able to discuss some features we think could use some improvement while understanding each others' points of view.
Instructor
#48 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 6:05 PM
I play the Ultimate Collection but when I had the disc installs, I used anygamestarter quite a bit. I often didn't really use family fun, glamour life or the holiday packs. I keep all of the EPs because of the extra gameplay features. Also I play quite a bit of themed games, so picking and choosing the packs was really useful to remove stuff that doesn't fit in the theme. I mean, I use defaults of course but if I can avoid having so much stuff it's easier. Plus it frees up catalog space (for CC).

I miss being able to pick and chose but I can't seem to be able to make the disc versions work with Win 10, even with tutorials.
Instructor
#49 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 7:10 PM
I have the Ultimate Collection and just like The Sims 3, Pets is the EP I rarely use. I tried having my Sim get a big dog one, but only realized too much stuff to do so I don't do pets that much. I do really like FreeTime since it has many cool stuff I use alot like basketball, soccer, don't wake up the llamas, train station table, ballet dance bar, another DJ station (Nightlife one is a bit uninteresting), violin, new stuff for toddlers and children, and so on. I also like the food contest in FreeTime. I use a lot of stuff from Glamour Life and Kitchen & Bath stuff for my pricey modern homes, IKEA and Teen Style for starter ones. H & M has some of the despicable male dress ( I really dislike those necklaces and bracelets). I think Celebration was the less I use because it's just wedding.
I really love all the things The Sims 2 has since it's the last series that was well developed and fully packed. The Sims 3, I only use 4 EPs even if I've bought 11. Not bothering The Sims 4 since it's literally for abundant rich simmers.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 10:23 PM
I have a nearly complete set from disk installs. Like Sketching, I never bothered with any version of the Holiday SP because there was the free stuff from the Exchange and then CC makers started making stuff like that. Later I read about how buggy it was. I don't have much holiday CC anyway because the sims' lives are usually too short to bother with holidays.

I want all the other EPs and SPs because, whether I personally use them or not, having all of them means less worry about whether downloaded CC will work in my game. I've had sims get their panels temporarily clogged by wants from some EP or other, ("I want a puppy/kitten/dog/cat/EVERYTHING", kids all want the OFB lemonade stand at some point). If I ignore the wants, they usually spin away in a day or two anyway. It's annoying, but not so much that I would want to uninstall part of the game.

Regarding the enthusiasm affecting interests: I think it would make more sense if it could be the other way around. If a sim has a high interest in something, the related hobby enthusiasm should be increased. If a sim is really interested in food, they should be more enthusiastic about cuisine.
Page 2 of 3