Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 1:45 AM
I have a folder called "Miscellaneous Meshes" because I came across them while organizing and have no idea what they go with.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Dang and here I am with no fruit bowls, well apart from xnem's and that actually works.

You have forced me to look up and download Exnem's fruit bowl (and bread basket). I hope you're happy. :P
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#53 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 4:07 AM
Don't forget his pies while you're at it! You'll love it. :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#54 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 4:39 AM
oh my no! clean my downloads folder? are you nuts! I just will go start another one. I MIGHT need that millionth recolor of that shirt someday and not find it again to download it!
Mad Poster
#55 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Don't forget his pies while you're at it! You'll love it. :D

I tried those and the sausage rolls and pasties, but the empty state was broken and I couldn't fix it no matter what I tried.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 7:50 AM
I admit that it will be over my dead body before anyone will pry all the CCs I've collected over the last 10 years from me. I almost cried when I had to wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall windows after getting a virus and then found out that my entire EA game folder was NOT backup. Thankfully, I had the CCs backed up in another hard drive. Thank goodness for that! Another bad new, I realized that I have over 60+ GBs of CC!!!!!! Those CC hairs and clothes are my kryptonite. It takes up 75% of total space.

So now I'm forcing myself to reorganize EVERYTHING before I allow myself to even play the game. Unfortunately, it's been almost two months and I"M NOT EVEN 25% IN!! I'm blaming you creators for creating so many awesome new contents. Every time I allow myself to go on a downloading spree for only one creator, you link me to another wonderful creator and the cycle starts all over again.

Anyway, because of my massive CC folder, I've implemented a rule for my download folder. Only up to 5 GB per categories. And yes, per CATEGORY because I definitely do that need all 25+Gb of irresistible custom hair or 10+Gb or beautiful clothes. Therefore, I'm down to 5 for buy mode, 5 for build more, 5 for hair (I'm not looking forward to that part of my reorganizing), 5 for clothes, 5 for CAS (besides clothes/hair), and 5 for misc. objects/mods. I've also decided to not download any custom lots because I always find many are buggy and almost all of them forces me to download more CCs for it. I do not need more encouragement. Instead, I will attempt to build a similar lot for ones that I do like and hopefully come close.

I'm also debating whether I will want to download custom sims because I'm not creative enough to create unique sims. However, like lots, many of the ones I like also want me to download custom CCs as well. Does anyone know what would happen if I install these sims using Clean Installer and uncheck everything but the facial template?

Having said all that, I'll still end up with 30Gb of CC in the DL folder and because I'm keeping my EA folder small as well, the total should be less that 35Gb, since that's the max I'm allowing myself at the moment.

I'm hopeful that if I succeed in curbing the the max limit, I'll be able to progressively get it smaller to around 3Gb per categories. I'm having good luck with the mod/misc and the build folder, both staying way under 3GB. The build folder may get smaller because I'm currently organizing it now. Buy mode things is not sorted but I don't think I'll any larger than 5gb. I think the hardest part for me will be those hair and clothes. I'm a sucker for them so I'll have to do something drastic to keep cull it from 25gb to 5gb (and that's only the hair).
Forum Resident
#57 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by soriya
I've also decided to not download any custom lots because I always find many are buggy and almost all of them forces me to download more CCs for it. I do not need more encouragement. Instead, I will attempt to build a similar lot for ones that I do like and hopefully come close.

You could always use the Clean Installer and uncheck all CC except the lot itself This keeps the basic structure but uses no CC so you can find stuff of your own that works :P
You can do the same with sims, just uncheck everything except the option labelled 'Face Archetype' and use whatever CC you already have.

Hope this helps
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:38 AM
I'm half decent at keeping my cc tidy and organized. But to an extent I've promised myself not to overdo it, because it makes the game less fun since it takes away so much time from actually getting to play. Going nuts with a download spree is half the fun sometimes. I've just invested in a new pc too, so hopefully I won't be too concerned with loading times and whatnot no matter what.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#59 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:39 AM
@soriya There are tons of CC free lots on here >cough< have a few up myself >cough< and if you find any broken please report it as we do our best to make sure only well made non-broken lots reach the download page.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#60 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 12:20 PM
You know what a big problem is?
When you have to copy/paste an old downloads folder for a regenerated game and then you realize that you still have the stuff you threw out 3 months ago there...it's a never-ending battle..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#61 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 1:37 PM
Happens to me all the time. But it's because I have a folder of essentials and then another regular downloads folder. I swap things in and out of the downloads folder all the time. Sometimes that leads me to download something I KNOW I have somewhere but can't find. So, I might end up with multiple copies of the same thing. Then when I get tired of looking and I want it to always be in the game, I'll move it to the essentials. Those then end up being essentials and really wants instead of just things to keep the game from blowing up. That folder gets more bloated. BUT, the last time I tried to prune it, I ended up deleting something I needed, so it's hands off from now on.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#62 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:45 PM
No longer need to because since 2009 my download folder is 320 Mb and will remain so for now on.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#63 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 5:00 PM
Boy, are you disciplined

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Inventor
#64 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 5:22 PM
I clean mine out ever so often. I did so yesterday after a simple clothing download turned out to have over a 100 recolors of the same dress (I'm exaggerating the number but still). I plan on saving all the files I have into one SimPE file to keep the bloat down, and bunch them together in a 7zip file in case anything happens. I just got to get around to doing it .

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 5:59 PM
@Primavera, right? I have a recolor addiction because of how much recolors of each item I have. don't even go into paintings because one would think you can never have enough recolors of those....until you're trying to decorate a house and found yourself going through 100+ recolors of the same painting!!! if you're lucky, its creator nicely label them so you can delete the ones you don't want, that is if you're willing to even bother in the first place. lol. I'm guilty of being too lazy to sort through my folders just to delete one particular RC. I also have this annoying habit of thinking that I might need that particular RC in the future..meaning never. lol
Inventor
#66 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:10 PM
@Primavera, right? I have a recolor addiction because of how much recolors of each item I have. don't even go into paintings because one would think you can never have enough recolors of those....until you're trying to decorate a house and found yourself going through 100+ recolors of the same painting!!! if you're lucky, its creator nicely label them so you can delete the ones you don't want, that is if you're willing to even bother in the first place. lol. I'm guilty of being too lazy to sort through my folders just to delete one particular RC. I also have this annoying habit of thinking that I might need that particular RC in the future..meaning never. lol

I try to keep my recolor obsession down to a minimum because I have to keep in mind that I only have 8GB of memory, I have to get enough money to buy a 16GB memory stick. Plus I'm trying to download recolors I need, like paintings or nursery items, or else my catalog will be full of recolors of furniture I'll never use .

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:17 PM
http://prntscr.com/jv09cm

I'm not gonna bother. I have a bunch of clothes that don't work and are just hanging out in the catalogue replaced by one of the game defaults. I really don't care enough to sit there and try to find what specific files don't work. I like to download masses of stuff at once and have no desire to install it all in fragments.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:57 PM
I just cleaned up my downloads folder - from 15GB down to 6GB. I took out a lot of recolors that I do not use as well as some other things that I like but have never used at all. So I am going to
Instructor
#69 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 11:03 PM
No, because I'm too lazy to do so. Plus, I don't think my folder is in bad shape. Yeah, I can't tell the difference between female and male hairs, but so.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Field Researcher
#70 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 11:13 PM
don't even go into paintings because one would think you can never have enough recolors of those....until you're trying to decorate a house and found yourself going through 100+ recolors of the same painting!!!

Oh, that's reassuring. I thought I was the only one who had 100 recolours of a single painting. Fortunately it only takes up one file in my Downloads folder, because I bundled them, but it does take a while to find the one I want to use.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#71 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 11:16 PM
Well I am always taking out extra recolours of hair and clothing, but now I have an SSD I am instaling not uninstalling. :D

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#72 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 12:24 AM Last edited by gazania : 16th Jun 2018 at 4:16 PM.
I FINALLY went through more than 27,000 files and 1440 folders, using Bulk Renamer to get rid of the brackets, at signs, parens, etc. It took days.

My loading time went from about 15-17 minutes to about 8-10. I noticed the loading time stopped improving markedly after a certain point, but still, a game loading around 33 to 40% faster isn't a bad thing.

I deleted many subfolders within subfolders within subfolders. So often, it was just a file or two within each subfolder! I found a whole lot of blank folders. I'm not sure HOW they got there. It wasn't recently. But there they were. I deleted folders of stuff that I really don't need or use. Not many there, but even deleting some were better than none. I'm now down to 1379 folders. Sixty-one useless/unused folders may not seem as much, but every folder might help. Every unused item deleted might help the Buy and Build catalogs be easier to read and load just a little better

I found user guides that do not need to be in the Downloads folder. I put them elsewhere, and they're in the backup games.

Really-long file names were shortened at least a little, and folders were renamed to better see them in Clean Installer. I probably need to shorten several file names even more. I have a utility for that, but I think I'm done for now.

I had a whole bunch of Collection files in my Download folder. They loaded well in-game, but I figured they should go in the proper place.

Now perhaps to play the game!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Boy, are you disciplined

I just like to keep all my games as close to vanilla as possible.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#74 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 11:36 AM
I think I use just under 2GB, which I know compared to most people is child's play. about 80% of that is default stuff, though, and I've expressed about my problems with disk space a few times, so I don't really dare download much more.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 3:48 AM
Well, I've said before that the Downloads folder on my main gameplay profile is "only" ~315 MB. In the 9 months since then, it's grown... by <50 MB. Most of that has to do with me just being rather selective about what I add to my game, which lessens the need to clean up my CC.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Page 3 of 4