Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 4:06 AM
Default How Can I edit prices of Sims 2 objects, walls and floors?
Hi Everyone,

I have tried to run Sims2 Cat and WTF Editor. Neither seems to be working properly. When I try to load Sims2 Cat, I get "runtime error 339". WTF Editor will load, but won't give a preview pic of my wall or floor.

Is there a different approach/program I can try? I would like to organise walls, floors and object by price so that it is much easier to find them when I am creating houses.
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 8:46 PM
You can probably do it with Simpe. I have changed the price of a few objects with it. How do you plan to organize your walls and floors? Make all the wallpapers of a certain type 1$, another type 2$ and so on? I've been wishing I could have all my kids walls together, kitchen walls together, retro walls, Victorian walls, medieval, etc.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 12:15 AM
Yes I would like to use prices to inject some order into my catalogues. Does anyone have a SimPE tutorial that teaches how to do this?
Instructor
#5 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 3:16 AM
As soon as I finish what I am working on now, I will fire up SimPE and take a look at some walls and floors to see where changes can be made. I know where to find the info for objects. It's in the object data folder in each package but without looking at it in SimPE I couldn't give reliable directions for what to do. I probably won't have time to do it tonight and tomorrow I will have company. It will probably be Tuesday evening before I can get to it but will try to do it earlier. Meanwhile you can look through the tutorials on the SimsWiki. I don't remember seeing one for that but I could have missed it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hedgekat
As soon as I finish what I am working on now, I will fire up SimPE and take a look at some walls and floors to see where changes can be made. I know where to find the info for objects. It's in the object data folder in each package but without looking at it in SimPE I couldn't give reliable directions for what to do. I probably won't have time to do it tonight and tomorrow I will have company. It will probably be Tuesday evening before I can get to it but will try to do it earlier. Meanwhile you can look through the tutorials on the SimsWiki. I don't remember seeing one for that but I could have missed it.

Hi Hedgekat, that would be so kind of you to help me! I look forward to seeing what you find out.

Meanwhile, have a lovely Christmas Day!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 12:49 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 26th Dec 2017 at 12:24 AM.
The file for walls and floors is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Catalog\Patterns\catpatterns.bundle.package, and can be found in the respective folders for each ep/sp.

It's been awhile, but I think the xobj is what actually affects the cost, and the str only affects what the catalog shows in price. I can't remember if both are required to change the catalog order, or if it's just one. Or neither.

Edit: I don't think either of those affect catalog order, take a look at http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=505586. Those are in Other, and appear after the pool tiles.

Edit 2: From some sample editing of that file I linked earlier, it appears the line filename(dString)= is the one that alters the order in game.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 12:14 AM
I'm very beginner at SimPE but reading your reply, I think you might have thought I want to change prices of Maxis objects, walls and floors? It is the custom download prices that I want to change. I wasn't clear about that in the beginning.

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The file for walls and floors is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Catalog\Patterns\catpatterns.bundle.package, and can be found in the respective folders for each ep/sp.

It's been awhile, but I think the xobj is what actually affects the cost, and the str only affects what the catalog shows in price. I can't remember if both are required to change the catalog order, or if it's just one. Or neither.

Edit: I don't think either of those affect catalog order, take a look at http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=505586. Those are in Other, and appear after the pool tiles.

Edit 2: From some sample editing of that file I linked earlier, it appears the line filename(dString)= is the one that alters the order in game.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 1:44 AM
Oh! I'm sorry if I missed that.

In the xobj there is a line for cost, change that. And in the str there is a line with a decimal number, change that to match.

Another way to order cc stuff in game is the filename of the package and folders. So a little creative naming of files and folders will also help you reorder the catalog.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Dec 2017 at 8:49 AM
Hi Huge Lunatic,
Thank you so much for more help!
I'll try opening my files in SimPE and seeing if I can find the lines you mention in your post.

Can you tell me a little more detail about using the filename of packages and folders to create order? That's the first time I've heard of the idea! Sounds interesting
Instructor
#11 Old 29th Dec 2017 at 11:11 PM
in addition to SimPE you can also edit/clone the desired wall/floor in HomeCrafter and assign it whatever name and price you like (just remember to keep track of your files as you do them so you can give the new ones better names than the f30b3a_wall nonsense they get assigned).

I was actually a little disappointed, when I started playing TS2, that the walls' and floors' prices didn't have the same affect on their catalog order that they did in the original The Sims. I'm also curious about the filename(dString) and file/folder names!
Instructor
#12 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 2:46 AM
@Airelda - Sorry I did not get back to you when I said I would. It was the 27th before I was able to get to SimPE to look up the info. Then I couldn't find this thread again. THEN I lost internet for two weeks. Anyway, to change cost of an object, open the object file in Simpe. You will see two panes at the top. On the left is the list of everything that is in that package file. The third one down in Catalog Description. Click on it, then click on the same name in the upper right pane, to see what the catalog says about your object. Sometimes the creator doesn't put anything there or you may not like the description. You can change it in the small box at the top of the bottom pane. Be sure and click the Commit File button in the upper right corner of that pane. Next go back to the upper left pane and scroll down to Object Data. Click on it and then on the first name in the upper right pane. Some objects may have more than one. Now in the bottom pane you will see Object Data Editor. Under that you will see the filename of the object and below that the Commit button. To the right of that you will see two tabs: Catalog Sort and Raw Data. Catalog Sort tells you in what room(s) the object will show up in or what function. Raw Data tells the price and many other things that I have never tried to change. You probably will want to click the decimal button on the right side, Much easier than reading hexadecimal numbers. Then go to 02.Catalog Price. The number you want to change is the first one in that section: price. Now click Commit and Save and you are done with that object.
Now for walls and floors. Open your package. The Resource Tree in that upper left pane has only 5 titles. Click on Object XML and then click on the name in the right pane. The bottom pane will show you the CPF Editor. The second line is cost. Unfortunately there is no decimal button to make it easier here. It's easy enough up to a cost of 9. Just change that last digit. But if you want it to cost 10 simoleons, you will have to make that last digit an A, B for 11, C-12, D-13, E-14, F-15. then 10 which will equal 16 simoleons. If you look at the Sim Descriptions for your hood, the instance numbers will show you the numbers in order but not the decimal equivalents. There is probably a converter somewhere. Anyway, change that number by clicking on that cost line. It will show up in the Value box on the right side of that pane. Make your change in that box. Click Commit and save. You can also change the catalog description by clicking on Text Lists in the top panes then making your changes in the Text List Editor in the bottom pane. Hope this helps you. It looks like a super sized job to me. Hugs.

@HugeLunatic- I'd like to know more about how to group things in the catalog by file and folder naming. I use a wide variety of subfolders, grouping CC by room, type of item, creator, etc and it still seems to be a hodgepodge. I have noticed with clothing that the newest things in each catalog group show up first. I haven't checked to see if that is true of objects and walls/floors.