Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Perhaps it isn't all the 10 series cards, as Jules has 1060 and it is running fine, but others with 1080 are having problems. so maybe it is 1080 that is the issue. Also, perhaps the update reverted some sort of setting back somehow, that needs to be changed? Or perhaps Nvidia will update to work around the windows 10 update?

No that isn't it either. CatOfEvilGenious has the exact same card as me. He/she is definitely having issues, while I am not. We even have the same processer, though mine is just a tad bit faster.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 9:06 PM
How do your Windows editions compare? Are you all using Home?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

Interesting. I'm using Pro.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 9:40 PM
...I just found out after the update is my game more laggy than ever
The sims move like they lost some frames it is literally annoying.

I build small houses *^*
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

I am using home. I know CatOfEvilGenious is using pro, but a friend on the Sims forums is using home and she also has the same issues as Cat. Crashing with pink Flashes. So that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

@OnayaW Have you removed Securom? Used the graphic rules?
Forum Resident
#31 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 10:09 PM
Yes I removed the securom
I updated my graphic rules (but couldn’t do the 3 3 3 thing because then my game wouldn’t use the animations at all. Idk what’s wrong but it’s annoying...

I build small houses *^*
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 2:59 AM
I can chime in to confirm that my game is also broken on Windows 10 and I have a 980, not a 10-series. Pretty sure this is all on Windows. Tested my unplayable game on a Windows 8 machine and it was back to normal.

ETA I'm using Windows 10 Home...but not for long!
Mad Poster
#33 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 3:36 AM
I use Home as well. I will also admit that I do not know everything.

When Windows 10 first came out, I worked damn hard to get it working. It took me days, not hours - and I wrote the article in my signature back then in order to help others. I think that I have as much right as everyone else to state my opinion. Since then I honestly think that I did help some players who asked me questions. I have learned more about the UC and Windows 10 since then as well.

Note that I have taken part in 4 building competitions while using UC and 3 while using Windows 10. I have also uploaded a bunch of lots while using UC and Windows 10.

My opinion remains that the Windows 10 update is not solely responsible for the game not working on some systems. Because it works for others. I am not sure that the graphic cards (whichever one you use) is responsible either. Personally, I got my game working first and made the graphic rules changes later. That is my opinion and I am standing by it.
Link Ninja
#34 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 6:30 AM Last edited by Charmful : 30th Jan 2018 at 6:41 AM.
I play on Windows 10 home edition and use a Nividia 1050 TI graphics card, however not using UC. If that can goes toward any troubleshooting data of OS vs graphics cards. Mine has always worked pretty well. I still get crashes but I can still play decently.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#35 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 7:44 AM
I'm at the point where i even think over if it will help to contact Origin about it. It might be an old game but they were willing to make an update once? Why shouldn't they be able to make an update again to make sims 2 UC work on Windows 10? Because as it is now, I can't play because of how laggy my game is. I don't want to uninstall all my CC (Which btw is already 1.48GB which is nothing compared to what others says)
I've been trying to fix my game for decades and if there was a way to go back to the old version without the update I would. My life dumbest mistake was the update. Sure I can play again but I'm driving crazy of the cutted animations which is just laggy and I don't want to lower details on sims (because then they get blocks for hands instead of fingers and we all know how ugly that is...)

I am seriously thinking over contacting my ex but he will go to illegal matters to fix my game. So I'll take him as last solution.

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#36 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 7:52 AM
How about...going for what everyone knows works? That game is old that's right. Came alive when Windows XP was a thing...it is beyond me that simmers still think a newer OS will do the job without fuss, after every help posts combine at MTS only?
It is a game and a game is supposed to be fun, helping your sanity not ruining it. Get yourself a Windows 7 OS and be happy. There is nothing illegal in this.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#37 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
How about...going for what everyone knows works? That game is old that's right. Came alive when Windows XP was a thing...it is beyond me that simmers still think a newer OS will do the job without fuss, after every help posts combine at MTS only?
It is a game and a game is supposed to be fun, helping your sanity not ruining it. Get yourself a Windows 7 OS and be happy. There is nothing illegal in this.

my laptop is from 2015. It wasn't built for the old systems - the only way is I get the extra window thing with Windows 7, move UC over there.

which I don't know how to either

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#38 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 9:59 AM
General info:
You still need to play UC in compatibility mode for whichever works on your system: XP/Vista. So you have to make it compatible.
Origin has updated several times, not only the last one.
The UC comes fully patched, so you don't need to patch your game.
The UC runs on only one executable - the Mansion and Garden engine, found under Fun with Pets in the program files.
You can play through origin or not - if not, you need to make a change to the executable.
The store edition does not work with UC.
Graphic rules only needs to be changed if your resolution is stuck 800X600 or your game looks terrible. It works without those.
Most programs work with UC (and Numenor has come back with the updated AGS too).
Mods, when applicable, should be updated for Apartment Life or Mansion and Gardens.
If you install the UC on Windows 10, you will need to make some changes - because it is indeed a very old game (like Rosebine says).
Once the game works and something in the game goes wrong - cc, glitches, etc. - It is probably not the UC's fault. Troubleshooting is the same as for the disk version.

Is it worth it?
Yes - because the UC runs like butter.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 11:34 AM
I already did what i could with the graphic rules and I may have found out that whatever file I downloaded last and replaced th original with may had fixed the animations to? IDK

My biggest lag now after a day of fixing is mostly animations with more than two sims on the lot. It seems it doesn't load the animations well even if I turn down a few things.

But the biggest update is I can now build houses again without it blinking when i place stuff and it got waaaaayyy faster to load furniture and stuff.

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#40 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 12:43 PM
@OnayaW

Since players use different computers/laptops - there will be some individual tuning to do.

I have seen some lagging on some (very big) community lots as well - I am not sure that it is abnormal and quite certain it has nothing to do with UC. Lagging can also be caused by things you have ON the lot - like cc with high polygon counts or lots of (even maxis) trees, as an example (I was once told by a moderator to put a warning into my upload text).

Some animations do glitch at times - for most players and not only UC (the appreciate - give backrub comes to mind now; there are more).

Glad you can build again
Forum Resident
#41 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:10 PM
@Justpetro
The animation lag haven’t been so noticeable before
See an animation
Now remove frames from it
Insert that into my game
Before the update the animations weren’t perfect, they had more flow, sure the shook a little when training or passebies walked by the mailbox their heads would shake.
But that was the only animations error
My camera turning is also way slower
And I know my pc can’t handle big lots - which is why all my lots is max 3x3
Also why I build small houses
The only thing I can do now is getting used to laggy animations which does I can’t take good pictures but it must have to do because idk where that fail is
All I know is I can build houses without the whole game blinking

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#42 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:17 PM
Do you use the 4GB patch? (Edit) - I always add that again after a repair or update.
Forum Resident
#43 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Do you use the 4GB patch? (Edit) - I always add that again after a repair or update.

uuuh idk, I'm not that much of tech nerd? but where do i find it, so I can be sure?

I build small houses *^*
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro

This might be dumb but does changing the 'force texture memory' to 4096GB with the Graphics Rules Maker have the same effect or is it totally different?

I never did this force or used the patch and it worked very smoothly without lag before the Windows update.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine

That's exactly what I've gone for. Although I do think that new OS should never completely destroy the option to play/use older games/software, for me its worth spending about £50 to get an extra hard drive and a Win7 licence instead of endlessly trying to make it work on 10 and stressing myself out.

I am absolutely confident that I can play the game on all previous versions of Windows which for me, confirms it is my issue (probably a combination with my 1080 too). So, the problem is very real and if any of you are in the same situation as me and are dying to play it - unfortunately, my best recommendation is backdating your Windows 10 and blocking future updates or, get access to an old OS such as Windows 7.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 2:49 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with graphic cards. Of course, TS2 might not be able to identify a newer card as a graphic card on which it can play..imagine being visited by the future..But once you add the newer card, which tells TS2 that this is OK to use, the problem is solved. The OS started being the problem since Windows 8 came along.
Does any of you remember this guide?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Recommendations
That page was last modified in 2010.
Any newer cards past that point might have to be added so TS2 recognize it.
Your card is not the problem, your OS is.
(Yours as, many of you with problem starting your beloved game)

By the way, OnayaW, my computer is newer than yours. I built mine in 2016, and could still buy a Win7. Of course if you bought/receive as gift a computer that came with Win10, then let's hope a tech can help find the proper drivers to work with installing Win7 given you'd decide to go for it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#47 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 4:06 PM
@Rosebine
I unfortunately have an Acer Espire 15 (without touch) with a quad core, 1TB space and I think 8GB something
It’s unfortunately one of the laptops you can’t change the inside in (believe me, I find this annoying as I have wanted a new graphic card since I found out the store tricked me. I specifically asked them if it could drive the games I play and they say yes to I come home and the graphic card was: no)
Anyway, I have for a long while wanted to buy a custom stationary computer and sure it’s on my wishlist buti’m A student. I don’t have money to that.
I have been wanting it because I would be able to plug the stationary in without needing to stand up to reach my laptop so I could watch tv
Also my laptop can’t stream tv because it’s like
Filled with stuff
I have though also wanted a stationary to move all my programs on, so I could reset my laptop to fabric since it has a few bugs left from some viruses there came on my computer last year when my antivirus program suddenly was like: so ya know, ya haven’t paid and we just stop it here? Yes? Ok. Without telling me so it looked like it was on but wasn’t.

I build small houses *^*
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#48 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 4:46 PM
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php @OnayaW

Something I haven't really seen people address is making your paging file larger and setting it high at an ungodly number (can't do this if hard drive is full however) and it will increase your virtual memory. Some of the errors may be a lack of memory if that update caused people to need more ram/processor to run the computer. Remember sims 2, even with the 4 GB patch can only handle 4 with it and 2 gb without. It also needs at least a 3.0 processor minimum per single core. So if win 10 is suddenly needing more of either of those, then it may be why there is an issue for some. Perhaps high end Nvidia cards also require higher whatever it is. And they are fighting for resources.
Forum Resident
#49 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:01 PM
Well, my pc i think drives 8 or something, not that i get what the text says but i know it has 1TB space and it says 8GB twice so I guess it can drive 8 per core idk. It's basically downgraded gamer computer because it only just have the standard HD graphic card.

but how do i install it?
the thing i found is confusing to read

I build small houses *^*
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:12 PM
The Sims 2 appears to work fine on my Windows 10 computer, at least until I upgrade to different versions of Windows 10 (Upgrades! Ugh! They always cause so many issues! Apparently an upgrade is basically installing a brand new operating system onto your computer, so no wonder they're so messy!). When I upgrade, The Sims 2 breaks and won't boot up at all, instead I get this error message:

The uninstallers do not work either (They won't even boot up) and I wind up having to uninstall the game manually. I did manage to successfully do this after an upgrade and reinstalled the game without problems, but it's annoying. The other solution is to simply roll back the upgrade, which at least gets the game working again (And fixes most other issues caused by the new version of Windows 10 being installed onto an existing computer with existing programs and files).
Page 2 of 3