Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:19 AM
Default Oh God. I have it. I really have it.
I called EA Games, told them that I really wanted to play TS2, added that I'd bought so many of the expansion packs for TS4 and also had bought TS3 (HINT HINT) and, many years ago, also TS2, but my family had moved recently and I'd looked all over for TS2...but sadly, could not find it.

This is all true. I didn't lie. And they gave me a code for TS2: UC!

But I'm afraid. And I'm nervous. They made it very clear this is a one-time thing, and I'm afraid I'm going to fuck it up and have the game taken away from me if I don't read every word of the User Agreement and Microsoft Software Licence Terms. Like, what if I do something dumb like tell everybody about this and then EA tracks me down and tells me I can't have the game because now other people know that I got TS2 just because they wanted to make me happy??? Or, shit, what if I do something stupid because I'm not a techie and like, the game explodes or I lose it somehow?

I know this is super ridiculous, but do you guys think I'll be okay? Has anything bad happened to you after you got the download code from EA? Or am I home free, pretty much, because the TOS is the same as every other thing? (Unless they kill Origin in which case we're all equally fucked)

I'm so stupidly happy about this that I almost feel obligated to buy a few lousy TS4 stuff packs to thank EA. I'm not going to, don't worry. But I'm so grateful to the employee who went all out to get me this code.

But yeah, it's like I'm holding a porcelain doll or something. Or a water balloon. I'm almost scared to play the game!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperCoolRachael
I called EA Games, told them that I really wanted to play TS2, added that I'd bought so many of the expansion packs for TS4 and also had bought TS3 (HINT HINT) and, many years ago, also TS2, but my family had moved recently and I'd looked all over for TS2...but sadly, could not find it.

This is all true. I didn't lie. And they gave me a code for TS2: UC!

But I'm afraid. And I'm nervous. They made it very clear this is a one-time thing, and I'm afraid I'm going to fuck it up and have the game taken away from me if I don't read every word of the User Agreement and Microsoft Software Licence Terms. Like, what if I do something dumb like tell everybody about this and then EA tracks me down and tells me I can't have the game because now other people know that I got TS2 just because they wanted to make me happy??? Or, shit, what if I do something stupid because I'm not a techie and like, the game explodes or I lose it somehow?

I know this is super ridiculous, but do you guys think I'll be okay? Has anything bad happened to you after you got the download code from EA? Or am I home free, pretty much, because the TOS is the same as every other thing? (Unless they kill Origin in which case we're all equally fucked)

I'm so stupidly happy about this that I almost feel obligated to buy a few lousy TS4 stuff packs to thank EA. I'm not going to, don't worry. But I'm so grateful to the employee who went all out to get me this code.

But yeah, it's like I'm holding a porcelain doll or something. Or a water balloon. I'm almost scared to play the game!

Your home free so go ahead and download it and play.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:29 AM
Don't panic - they just gave you the enabling code in Origin. Many of us have the same thing - they don't check what we're up to. You can install it, uninstall it, reinstall it, swear at it, mod it to your heart's content and boast to all your friends into perpetuity (or until Origin disappears for good). It's a one-time code not a one-time installation. Besides, you're only the latest person of several so far this year who have done the same thing. It's good to know actually, they're still giving out the codes. We regularly tell people to go and ask. Anyway, it's yours now, enjoy it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:44 AM
Thanks so much, guys! I'm super pumped about this!
Theorist
#5 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:52 AM
I would suggest that you take a look at the thread dealin w/ must get mods to keep ya game runnin (relatively) problem free :D
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:58 AM
This is exactly how I felt when I first got my hands on the UC last August! I got myself back into TS2 playing with the expansions I have (OFB, Uni, Pets, and Nightlife). I was sorely tempted to ask EA for the UC but I felt guilty asking for it (I was raised not to take gifts/free stuff and the idea of contacting a rep and wasting their time just so I could have a free game shook my nerves). I finally took a deep breath and asked for it. Had to jump through a few hoops to get it, but eventually it was mine. I would not be able to return to just the expansions I had, lol. The UC is amazing!

I hope you have tons of fun with it, OP. <3
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th May 2018 at 4:58 AM
Even if you royally mess the game up, you will still have it in Origin-don't worry! Anything you need to know come and ask here. I do advice you at least grab the mods that stop your hoods blowing up, but apart from that I suggest you play mostly vanilla until you see things you want to change. We can suggest thousands of mods and cc but it's best to discover what suits you.

Also, welcome back!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:27 AM
Holy hell this is hard. I knew their needs decayed quicker in TS2, but...jeez louise.

And some of these wishes are really hard to carry out! And the homework takes forever!

I wonder how many people would think less of me if I used mods that made this game a little more manageable...
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:29 AM
Ahah! Well, those who mind, don't matter and the ones who matter don't mind!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:43 AM
The majority of people use mods for the game. Grab the ones that you find make it enjoyable for you, and it doesn't matter what other people think. Only you are affected by the mods you put in your game, so use what you need to make it the way you want.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th May 2018 at 6:09 AM

I knew their needs decayed quicker in TS2

And some of these wishes are really hard to carry out!

And the homework takes forever!

Part of it is learning to play. New players often do things the hard way.

Tick their need perks. Buy the most expensive bed that you can, make and store meals in the fridge.

Don't worry about their wishes too much and if they need a quick boost a date is often an easy way to do this.

Make sure your parent teaches the kid to study. When the kid comes home with a red fun meter tell them to play red hands or use a pool slide it is much more effective than TV. Kids and adults will also pee and get fed at work/school.

If you need to cheat every once in awhile don't worry about it.

Use mods if you need to, but I still think it helps to learn how to play first.

With homework there are numerous mods, one being 'homework sometimes'. with this mod they don't get homework everyday and serious kids actually gain fun while doing it. There are also various school mods if you ever want to do away with maxis school altogether. it's still good to see how it works first.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th May 2018 at 6:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Part of it is learning to play. New players often do things the hard way.

Tick their need perks. Buy the most expensive bed that you can, make and store meals in the fridge.

Don't worry about their wishes too much and if they need a quick boost a date is often an easy way to do this.

Make sure your parent teaches the kid to study. When the kid comes home with a red fun meter tell them to play red hands or use a pool slide it is much more effective than TV. Kids and adults will also pee and get fed at work/school.

If you need to cheat every once in awhile don't worry about it.

Use mods if you need to, but I still think it helps to learn how to play first.

With homework there are numerous mods, one being 'homework sometimes'. with this mod they don't get homework everyday and serious kids actually gain fun while doing it. There are also various school mods if you ever want to do away with maxis school altogether. it's still good to see how it works first.

Thanks to you and to everyone else who replied!

The big problem is playing the Pleasant family, namely, Lilith. She has such a bad relationship with her parents that neither of them will help her with her homework when she asks, and if they offer to help her with her homework, she rejects them!

Also...Okay, I tried to get Lilith to stop doing her homework so she could ask Daniel to help her with it, because he can't help her while she's doing it (like in TS4 and maybe TS3, but I'm not sure because I haven't played any child Sims in years). Does she put it in her inventory (like in TS4 and maybe TS3?)? No. Does she put it on the ground? No. Instead, she walks ALL THE WAY UP TO ANGELA'S ROOM SO SHE CAN PUT IT ON ANGELA'S DESK. It took so long... And then, when she goes to ask Daniel to help her with her homework, in the time it takes her to walk down the stairs, he decides he wants to take a bath, so the action cancels out. THEN, when she finally manages to ask him, he rejects her. So I tell Lilith to go do her homework anyway, but by now, her energy is low and she decides she wants to go to sleep instead. Sigh...

Angela doesn't have it much better. I actually neglected her homework because I was trying to get her to win a game against Dustin. I wasted several hours trying to force him to watch to play SSX3 with her, only to look it up and find that you can win a game of chess, darts, some kid's board game...no video games listed. So then I had her play chess with Dustin. She lost, thus losing aspiration points instead of gaining them.

I always thought teenagers had it rough in this game, what with homework that takes hours to do and piles up if you don't do it every day (just like real life, amirite?). Thank God it's the weekend now.

I did manage to get Daniel to WooHoo with the maid (Naughty!) and avoided Mary-Sue getting fired. Now if only they'd stop neglecting one of their daughters...

ETA: I've also noticed some performance issues. Basically...

1. There's a lot of "flickering." The house will suddenly disappear and I'll just see a flash of the landscape before the house goes back to being visible. It's really uncomfortable and irritating. Also, this is less of a big deal to me, but I noticed that there are black rectangles under each of the Sims while playing the Pleasant family (but strangely, not the Goth family).
2. I don't know if anything can be done about this, but I like to Ctrl+Tab between my game and other programs, like, every in-game hour, because I like to talk to my friends, check up on social media and forums, etc. When I click back on the game, though, not only do I have to wait a few seconds before I see it, but when it comes up, I'm treated to the hourglass/loading cursor thing. It gets annoying after a while.

I know this is a series that you're supposed to immerse yourself in and not do anything else at the same time, but...this is just how I play. Are there others like me?

And I realize I was projecting before...As someone told me once, there's no boogieman out there judging every little thing I do. It's me. I feel like I'm stupid if I can't take care of my Sims, or if I think TS2 is harder than TS3 or TS4, and like that those games are easy. Well, I guess I worry a little bit about others judging me. But I'm my own worst enemy in this.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th May 2018 at 6:45 AM
Not a family I would pick to learn how to play, but a fun one.

I would recommend starting with a nice small family of say two adults and one child made in CAS but that is up to you. if you feel like a challenge the twins are certainly that.

You might like the homework placement mod found here: http://modthesims.info/d/312004 you have to set it but from then on the homework will go exactly where you want it to. yes, the vanilla game behaviour of tossing homework anywhere is aggravating and one thing many of us mod out. One of the best thing about sims 2 is it's been out so long there is a mod for just about anything.

Do you have on the 4 GBT patch and Graphic rules set? My guess is you might not. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

Sims 2 is harder. Some of us learnt on sims 1 which was double hockey sticks hard so sims 2 never felt that hard, but going from 3 or 4 back to 2, yeah...

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:21 AM
I have different advice
Fixing the graphics is actually needed for most - the 4GB patch is really good to have - there is a fix for the black boxes here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585
My advice is to get only the essential mods and play a vanilla game at first. You will learn how the game works AND find out what you, personally, don't like and want to change.
Ask if you are in doubt, there are plenty of people here that will be able to help you.
We are all different and we don't all use the same mods (I don't use the homework placement mod, for instance, my kids do their homework on the floor ).
We also are not annoyed/irritated by the same things - so we mod out different things.
Congratulations, and enjoy it
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:09 AM
The black rectangle is a thing - fixed by Nopke. I'm just about to go to work so I'll find the link later - or someone else will come along and get it for you. It's to do with the game not working well with newer graphics cards. Your other graphic issues are probably similar.

And some of these wishes are really hard to carry out! And the homework takes forever!

I wonder how many people would think less of me if I used mods that made this game a little more manageable...

You don't have to fulfill wants. I haven't been doing that for years. Also, practically everyone here uses mods - homeworksometimes is useful for homework related issues and also brings a little more depth to the game since it is designed to be different for different kids.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th May 2018 at 12:19 PM
I posted the link to the black box fix already.
Instructor
#17 Old 10th May 2018 at 1:48 PM
I'm glad for you, but I tried to get it too and they gave me the third degree. First, I gave him my product code and he found my account. Then he asked me my username and password, which I couldn't remember because it was over 10 years ago, and he didn't like that, then he asked me the address which the account was set up under, WHICH I DID remember and I know that was correct, but he told me it wasn't. So, he haggled me more and said he wouldn't do it.
Theorist
#18 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
I'm glad for you, but I tried to get it too and they gave me the third degree. First, I gave him my product code and he found my account. Then he asked me my username and password, which I couldn't remember because it was over 10 years ago, and he didn't like that, then he asked me the address which the account was set up under, WHICH I DID remember and I know that was correct, but he told me it wasn't. So, he haggled me more and said he wouldn't do it.

Some people have posted that they needed to try it a few times with different service agents until they found someone who gave the UC to them.

It's really a huge idiocy that people can't just buy the UC (or Sims 2 in general) on Origin, it's not like it would harm EA to just put it on there...
Though there is this mini-conspiracy theory going around the fandom that the reason they don't offer Sims 2 is because then everybody would buy it instead of Sims 4

I'm glad I got the UC back when the promotion was still going on.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64

I'm sorry that happened. D: The guy sounds like a jerk.

Every time you call/chat with EA, you're going to get a different person. The first time, I used chat, and the guy I spoke to, while apologetic, said that he couldn't help me if I didn't have any proof that I previously owned a Sims 2 game. Although it sounds like you DID have proof, so again, I think maybe this guy was just a jerk. The second time, I called, and I got this nice woman who pretty much told me the same thing the first person did, but then added that she'd see if she could pull some strings. And it worked.

I've heard of people having to try several times before getting someone who gave them the game. It sucks that we have to do it like this.

I'm sure you'll get the game sooner or later, though. Good luck!
Inventor
#20 Old 10th May 2018 at 3:01 PM

PARTAYYYYY!!! Congrats on your big win :DDD. And like some people here I had to try a few times until I got my copy. I wasn't around when they offered it for free so I had to contact Customer Support. On my second attempt I got a not-so-nice Representative and he kind of belittled me and told me that I was wasting my time and that TS3 was better :/. But on my third attempt I gave a code to my physical disc and I got it! I've been playing it ever since, and now I'm playing again on my brand new gaming PC :D. And my advice to you is to write down the installation code and keep it somewhere safe. I know it's available through Origin but one can't be too careful!

And don't worry, you're in good hands! The community here is very helpful and will answer whatever question you have . And yes I agree that you research the mods here and choose which ones you would like, but play vanilla for a while in order for you to get used to the controls. Once you get used it and remember all the hotkeys to it'll be a breeze to play, so have fun :D!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th May 2018 at 3:10 PM
The big problem is playing the Pleasant family, namely, Lilith. She has such a bad relationship with her parents that neither of them will help her with her homework when she asks, and if they offer to help her with her homework, she rejects them!

Also...Okay, I tried to get Lilith to stop doing her homework so she could ask Daniel to help her with it, because he can't help her while she's doing it (like in TS4 and maybe TS3, but I'm not sure because I haven't played any child Sims in years). Does she put it in her inventory (like in TS4 and maybe TS3?)? No. Does she put it on the ground? No. Instead, she walks ALL THE WAY UP TO ANGELA'S ROOM SO SHE CAN PUT IT ON ANGELA'S DESK. It took so long... And then, when she goes to ask Daniel to help her with her homework, in the time it takes her to walk down the stairs, he decides he wants to take a bath, so the action cancels out. THEN, when she finally manages to ask him, he rejects her. So I tell Lilith to go do her homework anyway, but by now, her energy is low and she decides she wants to go to sleep instead. Sigh...

You picked one of the hardest families to start off with. I have developed strategies over the years that make Sim quirks easier to deal with and have mods, and still find the Pleasants a pain to play, I can't imagine what they are like to a new player. Unlike Sims 3 where unfinished homework goes in the inventory, in Sims 2 child/teen Sims always try to find a end table/desk to put their homework on. One way to stop this is to put an object on that side of the desk (I personally use desk lamps, but you can use what you want. For example in Angela's room you can put a desk lamp next to the computer, and both teens will stop trying to put the homework on the desk. They may still try to trek to the room to drop it by the desk, or they may drop it other places around the house. They made Sim routing annoying in Sims 2. There are ways to learn how to stop that, Peni Griffin is a good person on this board to ask about how to build/how to decorate to make Sim routing less annoying.

Use the FreeTime perk to slow down their motive drain. Fun gain is based on Sim personality, so while TV may be fun to one Sim, based on personality another Sim may find it boring. When a child/teen has a decent relationship with a parent, red hands is a good way to get fun up enough so the Sim will do homework.

I use SimPE to improve Lilith's relationship with her parents so they will teach her how to study, but there are mods like the SimBlender that will improve relationships in game. (SimPE is a program that works outside of Sims 2, very similar to S3PE but much easier to use.) The Chess board is a good way to get relationships up, but it takes time, and is also more fun for more serious Sims.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#22 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:09 PM
You can put homework on a table then delete the table with the moveobjects on cheat
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th May 2018 at 7:25 PM
Thanks so much, guys! I'm super pumped about this!

Enjoy it!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#24 Old 10th May 2018 at 8:10 PM
There are NO space for homework on my desks There are, however, enough space in the vicinity of the desk for homework on the foor (Twins, twins, twins)
Theorist
#25 Old 10th May 2018 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
There are NO space for homework on my desks There are, however, enough space in the vicinity of the desk for homework on the foor (Twins, twins, twins)

Have you tried usin the smaller one tile desks by HL?

Even havin space I tend to like usin these
Page 1 of 3