Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#26 Old 10th May 2018 at 8:44 PM
Maybe the Desk Locator will help?

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=312004
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
Have you tried usin the smaller one tile desks by HL?

Even havin space I tend to like usin these

I do have those in my game and use - but not for homework This is just the way I like to do it - it has worked in my game since the base game came out and I am not going to bother to put desks everywhere - I would rather buy them something else. And, to be honest, to me, they don't seem to mind at all.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:17 PM
Guys, help! I have to type this on mobile because I can't access the Internet!

My game is stuck on the Pleasantview loading screen! It's not frozen--I can move my cursor--but it's been several minutes and nothing has changed. I can't ctrl+tab to get out of the program either. The other applications show up, but I can't select any of them. I wish I could screenshot it, but obviously that's not an option. I'm going to have to turn off my computer, possibly by power strip....

This is terrible! I didn't expect this to happen on only my second day of owning the game 😢
Mad Poster
#29 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:28 PM
Calm down these things happen - but now, because you are on UC, you won't lose anything that you have saved

Go and drink a cup of tea first - if the game has not loaded by then, restart your pc. (Edit - press the windows button first and see if the game goes down).
In our documents folder (The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder) - clear the cache files and start the game again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:29 PM
Okay, I managed to wiggle myself out by using that magic code, Ctrl+alt+delete. I then restarted my computer.

Sadly, this little venture has shown me that I should not play TS2 again before I have those essential mods people are talking about.

The problem is, I'm horribly overwhelmed by the "Necessary Mods" thread, and I'm finding it difficult to follow the basic instructions in the "How to keep your Sims 2 game from crashing" video. I'm going to need someone to help me by giving more precise instructions, preferably ones that aren't outdated. I run Windows 10 and can try to give you any extra specs. I'm trying not to flip out here, and appear more helpless than I am. I can do this with the right kind of help. I just need someone who's patient and knowledgeable.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#31 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:36 PM
Those mods will not help with loading. I will again repeat the 4BGT patch, the graphics rules and the sticky help thread by Jessa for computer memory. I would focus on that first. Sims 2 is an old game and often needs to be helped to play nicely on new computers.
If you read Jessa's thread she has a video outlining how to do some of this and people on there who can help with the 4BGT patch and the graphics rules.

Let's not bombard her with too much information guys. One tile desks are nice but they can wait. Even the essential mods can wait.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#32 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:43 PM
Okay, slow down - you don't have to do everything at once for a start. Some of the things you may not have to do at all.

Here are the mods you have to have in your game:
No Sim Loaded from Boiling Oil - this mod does not work without the SuperEPCheck from Cyjon (I don't have the links but they are in the thread) and NSL can cause a bit of havoc without the smarterEPcheck.
the mods from MoreAwesomeThanYou (JMPescado) - get all of those (the essential ones).(Some of them are also not really essential but it is good to start with, once you know more, you can remove those that you may not want).
You have added the 4GB patch and the graphic changes.
So before starting the game, delete the cache files.

Start the game and tell us what happens

Jo is right! Since I am on Windows 10 with the UC (and have been there for a long time) - I will try to help you, but it is midnight here and I have to go to sleep. If your game gives you problems, maybe there is something that you have not done completely right - it happens - we can sort through it tomorrow. In the meantime, it will be helpful if you can make a list so that I can know what you have done (exactly) and where did you put which files.

There is an article in my signature, but it is a bit outdated because some of the issues were fixed by updates. We will get it right (sorry, I am just really tired tonight or I would have stayed around a bit longer).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:55 PM
I haven't added the 4GB patch yet. I'm working on it as we speak.

However, I'm stuck at around 4:50 on this video. She's starting to call up things that I'm not seeing. I can't find any EA Games folders from Program Files or Program Files (x86). In fact, I'm not even sure if I added the 4GB patch correctly. All I did was download it. I double-clicked the zip folder and only saw something called 4gb_patch. When I tried to run it, a menu opened up, prompting me to open something from a bunch of folders under OS (C > Windows > System32. The folders had names like 0409, AdvancedInstallers, af-ZA, etc. And that's just at the top--it goes all the way down to zipcontainer.dll, zipfldr.dll, and ztrace_maps.dll. There are countless options, and I'm not sure which ones to click or even if I have the right folder.

*redacted*

All I know is that the patch I downloaded is not applied, because my memory says 2048 MB instead of 4096 MB. And I can't continue watching the video at this point, because I'm already lost now.

ETA: Sorry guys, I get down on myself sometimes. It's always frustrating when you can't understand something, and sometimes that shows up in the form of passive-aggressive fishing for compliments.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:58 PM
That means you don't have the patch applied, don't worry help is arriving later. If it gets done tonight or tomorrow don't worry.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#35 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:58 PM
Okay, common mistake for a newbie on UC The UC runs on the M&G engine and it is the only executable, while in the disk game, every expansion has it's own executable. I will post the path now with instructions, just give me a couple of seconds. (Sorry for the double post, Jo and others, if it happens)
Mad Poster
#36 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:59 PM
Leefish.nl is down right now, so someone may need to provide the graphic rules and BO's No Sim Loaded.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#37 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:04 PM
In UC it is program files x 86/origin games/sims 2 uc/fun with pets/sp9/tsbin but frankly i would wait to run it until you can get the game to form the first documents folder. The first time you run it can take ten minutes or so to create the new documents folder. I would actually think graphics rules would be the first thing to do.

Also would like to add that you might want to try windowed version first, as some people have better luck with that. Did you also download direct x 9.0c?

That is needed to run the game.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:05 PM
OS (Operating system on my PC) - Program files (X86) - Origin Games - The Sims Ultimate Collection - Fun with Pets - SP9 -TSBin.

I will try to post a screenshot now. But you will see the M&G Icon there - that is the thing that needs to be 4GB patched. So when the patch asks you which file, that is the one you need to select.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#39 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:10 PM
Next thing - what graphic card do you use? We need to know so that we can see if somebody has a card for you since Leefish's site is down.
Can somebody help with NoSimLoaded?
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#40 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:14 PM
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/dow...s.aspx?id=34429 this is directx 9.0c you will need to install it to play the game.

Also I have the graphics rules maker and no sim loaded both so that is no problem.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:18 PM
Thanks, @gdayars (the graphics rules maker does not work on my pc but it could work on hers )
Restarting the pc should take care of any missing directx drivers needed on Windows 10.
Just stay super cool, @SuperCoolRachael, we will get you there.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#42 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:21 PM
Yes I have heard that graphics rules works for some on windows 10 and some it doesn't and some it works partially but we can help her with graphics rules with some info from her computer wouldn't be the first time I have helped with sims 2 or 3 manually lol and I am sure that is true with a lot of people! So together we can get her through this
Mad Poster
#43 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:25 PM
The graphics rules maker puts the exact same files in the exact same spots - but somehow, my pc insists that I do it manually
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#44 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:27 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:27 PM
I'm not sure which is my graphics card. Here's what I see under Display:

Device
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC Type: Internal
Device Type: Full Display Device
Approx. Total Memory: 2160 MB
Display (VRAM): 112 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Display Mode: 1600x900 (32 bit) (60 Hz
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
HDR: Not supported

I'm not sure if "Drivers" is important...?
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#46 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:30 PM
Ok also need the config file from the logs folder but did your documents folder form?
Mad Poster
#47 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:33 PM
There is a card for Intel on Leefish - I linked to it very recently to a player who has PM'd me and it has apparently worked, but since the site is down, let us hope the graphic rules maker will do it.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:33 PM
It appears she has a graphics chip and not a graphics card, which may explain the crashing.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#49 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:35 PM
I can do it manually for her if need be.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#50 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:39 PM
Ugh...I followed her instructions (I don't know how to update my shortcuts, so I tried to start the game from inside the folder...) and I got this notice:

This wasn't happening before...What am I doing wrong?

ETA: I did cut and paste the application in the CSBin. I must have hit the back button before taking the screenshot, but the .exe file was in the correct folder.
Page 2 of 3