Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2018 at 11:45 PM
Default New Contest! Strangetown: Trading Places (house makeovers)
Hi guys I said I would be posting another contest and it just went up. This contest is a low build high decorate contest making over 4 Strangtown houses. The aim is for this to be a somewhat relaxed contest. Found here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=611922 Come check it out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st May 2018 at 12:37 AM
ok am posting here too, about the judging thing
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st May 2018 at 2:25 AM
Added you to the judging board gdayars.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 22nd May 2018 at 3:37 AM
I hope there is interest! I would've entered but for a lack of time.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd May 2018 at 2:55 PM
I love this idea! Good luck to the contestants, I can't wait to see what people come up with!

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th May 2018 at 10:19 PM
This contest will be a good chance for new builders to develop some skills. If you have never done a makeover before, just delete everything that you don't need to keep and you will have a kind of a small empty shell to work with. The first round is a tough house, but it will be easier from there on.

Have a look at the first 2 entries!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 12:16 PM
If anyone is interested I still need 5 more contestants and there are 2 1/2 days left.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 2:43 PM
That will be a real pity if Jo has to cancel her contest - please look at the entries already in, they are not only pretty, but also a lot of fun.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:01 PM Last edited by gazania : 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:22 PM.
I think you're up to about nine right now ... is ten the max?

My health issues and family health issues are one reason why I'm taking a break from the contest circuit ... even as a play-along. Also, I never warmed up to Strangetown or Veronaville, so unlike Pleasantview, I have little idea of the backstories of the characters anymore except the barest summary. I don't even have N002 or N003 on my game. (Well, I have an N003, but that is my custom hood! I've left the N002 slot open, though, it seems, so maybe I can stick in a Meetmetotheriver template in there.)

The health issues, though, overshadow the other reason. These treatments have taken a whole lot out of me, and a rest might be in order after them.

If ten is the limit, people have posted that they wanted to join who haven't submitted anything yet. And I recall more than a few last-minute entries in these contests. However, if there are 24 hours to go and you're still short, please PM me. I can always drop out if you've met the quota.

These lots won't be my best work, and I'll probably wind up on the bottom (I almost expect it, particularly after seeing the wonderful entries submitted already), but I would hate the see the contest cancelled because of one or two slots.

EDIT ... One problem with some players might be because they've already altered the houses. Is there a quick and painless tutorial on how to extract them from the files for these players? I know I've done it in the past. Also, the link on how to clean references and where to find Chris Hatch's wonderful mod might be useful in the contest info. (The best option, I think, would probably be to start a new game, clean refrences and package the lot and use that in the contest game, but I could be wrong.)

Also, I took another look at that house. (Groans.) I've tried to fix it quite a few times, but was never happy with the results. Good luck, contestants!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If anyone is interested I still need 5 more contestants and there are 2 1/2 days left.

i would participate but how do i expand images? to make them the same size as other entries?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:35 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:45 PM.
@Emerald1234 : you need to take screenshots, the in-game pictures will not work because they are too small.

There are several ways to do that, but I just take normal windows screenshots (all my pictures are taken that way) by pressing Alt+PrintScreen (I do use Windows 10).
I then paste the screenshot into Paint and save it as a jpg file because the original will be a png file which will be too big.

There are other ways to take screenshots, with screenshot programs, etc. as well.

More info here: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...reenshot_Basics

@gazania - you need to get well As for playing the hood already - make a new game folder (I forgot about that one as well Jo has posted about it on the first page of the contest). (Of course I would love to see your make-overs )
Edit - with an empty slot one can drop jawusa's empty Strangetown hood in there.
Scholar
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 8:49 PM
i've just submitted my entry! i'm so happy!

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Instructor
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 9:44 PM
I just got back into simming after a break, so this contest is coming at a perfect time! I love remodeling the maxis houses, but I haven't touched strangetown much (or even played them in years) so this will be interesting.

I'll probably have an application in tomorrow
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 11:38 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 2nd Jun 2018 at 11:55 PM.
Thanks guys, I really wasn't well yesterday-had one of my dizzy spells. karen is counting them, I think we have 10 but I am not sure it may only be 9. I really hope so as only 1 half hours on the clock left.

I will extend the time if anybody else is trying to get an entry in.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 11:42 PM
We have 12!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 11:56 PM
Sorry we have a day left. I'm just not with it. And yah that is enough for a live contest. :D

Also for pictures, you can't take small pictures and expand them, they simply look terrible. You have to take large pictures with a screenshot program and contract them. Then you will have lovely large crisp pictures. If you need help feel free to post on the contest thread and send me a ping.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2018 at 1:00 AM
Looks like you folks are good, then. I'll just watch from the sidelines and enjoy all these creative entries.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 11:00 PM
I managed to get a full table of 15. :D

~Call me Jo~