Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 10:21 AM
I mean, it's all obvious... TS Mobile fropped, flopped and blopped. They had no choice, after they almost succesfully killed TS4 (with the subpar packs and that cheap DLC for DLC that enraged almost everyone), they had to make a comeback somehow and assure fans that TS4 is still being 'pasionatelly' worked on.

Frankly, at this point, nobody right in their head would believe that.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
I wish they would stop saying "it's not off the table" and instead actually put things on the damned table. Actions speak louder than words, and people have been wondering what's up with firefighters and burglars for example for years now. Still not here, despite their tweets.

I think the more interesting question is. What is that table for, exactly?

I suspect it is a table in their basement where they place the more annoying of requested features on. Features that require time and skill. Nicely put out of harm's way, not interfering with what is important. And then everytime someone reminds them again, they send an intern to the basement to investigate if those features are still on the table. It is probably a very big table.
Scholar
#28 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 12:34 PM
You would think creating a countryside would be reasonable easy, but then creating a downtown area like San Myshuno, where there's a lots of height depths, Skyscrapers, trains, traffic, junctions, flashing lights, etc.

It's gonna have to be a remarkable tool to get this job done.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 1:47 PM
" Create A World is not out of the question, but from the Business perspective, it is. If anyone could create their own worlds and what not, some people might be stopped purchasing packs that feature them. Custom worlds quite often are very appealing looking than the Maxis ones.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
Oh Hell No!!! do not encourage these half assed idiots to make a Create a World tool for this game.... No NO No...they will just fuck it up and make it so limited... OH yeah and most likely will charge out the ass for it.

Now... If a genius modder wants to take a crack at it....Fine by me.... but not anyone affiliated with EA/Maxis and their gang of gurus.

Better than not having nothing. I'd say let them, although it will be half-assed (which by no means I'm asking for "the LESS the better"), it still would be something.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#31 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Grant is just a paid mouth piece. He's not paid to care about the series or its fans. He's paid to parrot whatever the people in a position higher than him at EA and Maxis tell him to. As Inge said, it's a lot office politics going on behind the scenes

Indeed. The passion seems to be gone.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 2:26 PM
If we do ever get CAW, they should get terrain editing back.

ooh ee ooh a-ah ting-tang walla walla bing bang
Instructor
#33 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 9:54 PM
Here a fan gives Create A World more thought than Gurus probably ever have: http://simscommunity.info/2018/06/0...-in-the-sims-4/
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 10:15 PM
OH... MY... G O D !

How and why and... I'm just speechless... this is boggling my mind. Did he use some kind of unity template for this? It looks amazing! And the concept itself is amazing!
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 10:18 PM
The concepts and the CAW fan made tutorial makes me just cry - well cry because I can't have it. Oh if only, if only they could release CAW tools. Even at the end of the Sims 4 series if not before. Please.
Instructor
#36 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 2:12 AM

*sobs* Give that to me now.
Instructor
#37 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 8:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
Here a fan gives Create A World more thought than Gurus probably ever have: http://simscommunity.info/2018/06/0...-in-the-sims-4/

Leave it to the community to do things better than EA.
Instructor
#38 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 9:37 AM
What I like most about it is the fan's concept feels realistic rather than fantasist, they've taken into account the obvious restrictions of the game (from our point of view at the very least), while trying to work around them with ideas that could give the player some creative freedom. I hope EA see's it, and might take cues from it if they're working on a CAW tool, and if not, perhaps get some inspiration around the kind of creative freedom players desire in the game overall.
Scholar
#39 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 7:50 AM
Nice!!..

Looks simple, but it somewhat looks a little too restrictive too...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#41 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Unsearchably
They're bringing back terraforming?

I believe this is a fan's concept of how it could be. Nice dream for a moment though

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#42 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 10:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Nice!!..

Looks simple, but it somewhat looks a little too restrictive too...
I love how legit that looks but the thing that should tip everyone off is that it actually uses toggles Can't be real then.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 11:00 AM
Map sizes in TS4 are only three, based on how much lots they need to hold, and how big the space around it is for 'props'. Up untill City Living there were only two, I think. I'm still not informed on this completely and it would be nice if someone could confirm this as I really don't play Sims 4 so much and am not sure of this.

Vehicle traffic is tied to the road object, which is not as simple as that tutorial describes it.
THERE IS terraforming in the neighborhoods, which you can see almost everywhere when you go into free camera mode, or just everywhere in Windenburg really.

What I'm worried about is those platforms in San Myshuno that are not terrain but are some kind of 'pavement' or 'pathing' object. See where I'm going at? This engine now specifically works on 'platforms' and not routing paint and paths like Sims 3 one worked. Roads are platforms, pathways are platforms, those terraces in Oasis Springs are platforms and I suspect even some part of the world terrain are platforms. Specifically designed and coded platforms inside of their UNITY plugin for sim movement, vehicle movement or any other special behaviour.

You'd have to know some coding now if you wanted to make a world for Sims 4.
dodgy builder
#44 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 11:34 AM
Let me just apply my new knowledge on game creation. I suspect this engine is made to make a new world out of painted 2D planes, and houses are just put on a flat and painted plane. Some objects are made 3D and then fitted on the flat 2D planes. Meaning making this game 3D in all might not be possible.

Oh yes ... that means terraforing is out.
Top Secret Researcher
#45 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 12:45 PM
Terraforming is in... All of the worlds you've seen are indeed similar to Sims 3 world's but are way smaller. Here you have a part that's editable, with terrain and all, but then there are also platforms that are roads, paths, pavement blocks, terraces etc that require aditional programming for them to act properly (vehicles traversing on it, fake dummy sims going around...). And the big water block that needed to be filled with fake, distant terrain is now a plane in Sims 4.

Look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2JODFfOjc

It's clear that editable part is in the center of the big area, and then there is a distant terrain frame of the world, but they did not bother to actually make the distant terrain and just left it one big flat plane.

EDIT: I will be honest! There is no way that EA couldn't have given us all of that space playable and made the actual distant terrain with those deco lots and props be the coating of the world.
But no, obvious laziness is apparent in there. Imagine if every 'neighborhood' actually had that WHOLE square part open to players and we had around 10-15 lots per that area. I would be so content.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#46 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 12:51 PM
Lol that sim's mood throughout was kind of statementy

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#47 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Terraforming is in... All of the worlds you've seen are indeed similar to Sims 3 world's but are way smaller. Here you have a part that's editable, with terrain and all, but then there are also platforms that are roads, paths, pavement blocks, terraces etc that require aditional programming for them to act properly (vehicles traversing on it, fake dummy sims going around...). And the big water block that needed to be filled with fake, distant terrain is now a plane in Sims 4.

It's clear that editable part is in the center of the big area, and then there is a distant terrain frame of the world, but they did not bother to actually make the distant terrain and just left it one big flat plane.

EDIT: I will be honest! There is no way that EA couldn't have given us all of that space playable and made the actual distant terrain with those deco lots and props be the coating of the world.
But no, obvious laziness is apparent in there. Imagine if every 'neighborhood' actually had that WHOLE square part open to players and we had around 10-15 lots per that area. I would be so content.

That looks very much like Unity where we have been working so far. I wonder about what this does not say though, all the programing and the rest of the setup of this engine. If they don't use Unity or Unreal, this doesn't say if this engine can handle terraforming.

It could be possible to import 3dsMax terrains though, that will be a bit different, but still doable.
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 3:54 PM
They confirmed that they are using unity plugin to make the worlds. Some time ago.

Terrain editing is obviously in there, as you can see traces of terrain brush shaped valleys all over the worlds when you go into free camera mode. Or maybe it's just generated with a previously made heightmap exported from TS3CAW, but I doubt it. That would really be lame.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr

From my understanding the worlds are not maps like Sims 3, they are mesh based objects created in 3D modeling software. Each world is created from scratch, meaning they don’t share the same base map.

Not saying they couldn’t update their tech to be more in line with CAW, but I don’t think that is how they’ve said worlds are created for this game.
Forum Resident
#50 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 6:00 PM
Can somebody say to Grant we don't care about the question, but what the answer is? They're just tip-toeing around this whole issue. Maybe is just No later.
Page 2 of 3