Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 6:28 PM
I don't think that Chris's mod had anything to do with your dining problem. It sounds as if you may have some other mod conflict that has gone undetected. Have you tried the Hack Conflict Detector from Simwardrobe yet? If not, you can get it at the following link. It doesn't find all problems and you may still have to use the 50% method to find out what's causing the restaurant problem. Have you tried running any other hotel lots to see if they have the same problems?

Sims2HCDU available here:
http://simfileshare.net/folder/15697/

Help finding problem content:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Custom_Content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I don't think that Chris's mod had anything to do with your dining problem. It sounds as if you may have some other mod conflict that has gone undetected. Have you tried the Hack Conflict Detector from Simwardrobe yet? If not, you can get it at the following link. It doesn't find all problems and you may still have to use the 50% method to find out what's causing the restaurant problem. Have you tried running any other hotel lots to see if they have the same problems?

Sims2HCDU available here:
http://simfileshare.net/folder/15697/

Help finding problem content:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Custom_Content

I agree, it is not Chris's mod. I did not know about the hack conflict detector but will definitely download it. Thank you! The problem just occurred recently, so I am confident I can find out what caused it by backtracking my steps and removing recently added content.

“I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.”
--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 7:05 PM
PS, I downloaded the hack detector and it found zero conflicts.

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Mad Poster
#54 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 7:32 PM
Looks like you'll have to do it the hard way then. I hope it doesn't take you too long to find the problem.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#55 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:37 AM
Looks like you'll have to do it the hard way then. I hope it doesn't take you too long to find the problem.

It shouldn't be too hard. They dined normally just a day or so go, after I took down the walls in the restaurant. So whatever is causing the problem had to have been uploaded since that time. I will just have to go through the process of elimination until I find out which thing caused this glitch.

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Mad Poster
#56 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Farvoyager
They dined normally just a day or so go, after I took down the walls in the restaurant.

This makes me wonder if it might be the layout of that lot causing the problem. Your restaurant in that first screenshot looks awfully cramped. Have you tried any other hotels with restaurants to see if they have the same problem? The Maxis vacation neighborhoods include a couple of hotels with restaurants - the Flaming Dragon in Takemizu village and the Twikkii Beach Hotel in Twikkii Island. Three lakes has a restaurant that's not part of a hotel - the Three Lakes Plaza. You can attach a vacation neighborhood to a test neighborhood and see if the other hotels and restaurants work properly. This can help you determine whether your problems are the result of a mod conflict that affects the whole game or a some other problem specific to that one hotel lot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#57 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 6:29 AM
This makes me wonder if it might be the layout of that lot causing the problem. Your restaurant in that first screenshot looks awfully cramped. Have you tried any other hotels with restaurants to see if they have the same problem? The Maxis vacation neighborhoods include a couple of hotels with restaurants - the Flaming Dragon in Takemizu village and the Twikkii Beach Hotel in Twikkii Island. Three lakes has a restaurant that's not part of a hotel - the Three Lakes Plaza. You can attach a vacation neighborhood to a test neighborhood and see if the other hotels and restaurants work properly. This can help you determine whether your problems are the result of a mod conflict that affects the whole game or a some other problem specific to that one hotel lot.

I am going to look at the table arrangements too. The whole layout is very crowded and probably wasn't suitable for a hotel, but I wanted to try because it's such a gorgeous lot.

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#58 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Farvoyager
I sent my tester sim to the restaurant but this time, instead of normal dining service which was working fine after I fixed the entry, he starts drinking the moment he sits down, and when the food arrives, it goes *poof* and disappears when the waitress tries to set it down, and he keeps on drinking water.

Do you have the centrepiece as centrepiece mod? You need that to stop food going *poof* if you have a deco item on the tables. Some CC food will do that as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#59 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 10:23 AM
Since you said that taking down the walls helped the way the restaurant worked, I was thinking that maybe having some tables outside like a cafe might help. Unfortunately from the screenshots on that lot's download page there may not be enough room to try that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#60 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have the centrepiece as centrepiece mod? You need that to stop food going *poof* if you have a deco item on the tables. Some CC food will do that as well.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I bet it is the centerpieces. I had just added those! Thank you. I would have eventually figured it out, but this saves me a lot of time. I will look for the centerpiece mod. I think I have seen one, but I didn't download it yet.

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#61 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 10:41 AM
Since you said that taking down the walls helped the way the restaurant worked, I was thinking that maybe having some tables outside like a cafe might help. Unfortunately from the screenshots on that lot's download page there may not be enough room to try that.

yeah, it is not going as well as I had hoped. It's such a gorgeous lot, I really wanted to make it a kind of theme hotel. But there is not a lot of extra space anywhere. I think if I get the centerpiece mod, that may solve the problem with the restaurant. The previous hotels I made were very simple and boxy, and worked fine.

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#62 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 10:46 AM
You probably found it by now, but I will post it here in case somebody else finds it helpful. http://modthesims.info/d/287228

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#63 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You probably found it by now, but I will post it here in case somebody else finds it helpful. http://modthesims.info/d/287228

Thank you!

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Mad Poster
#64 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 9:31 AM Last edited by gazania : 22nd Mar 2019 at 5:22 AM.
Ditto on the simple and boxy approach. While I have seen much more elaborate hotels here and on TSR, I wonder if most are Freezy-resistant*. Little is mentioned of the bane of my existence, and the attitude of many is to ignore the often-decorative statue. I do not do this, but the price I generally pay is that I find my building restrained. Most of my hotels (or in one case, glamping yurts) lean toward the basic. It might look like I put them together in a night, but that is never the case. It can take days ... usually several ... to iron out those tiny routing errors that stop Freezy in its tracks. It feels like a great accomplishment when I figure it out, though. Cue canned fanfare.

Have you tried a buffet? Also, as you already know, a hotel does not need any eating establishment. It can still work very well. Perhaps the Exnem dessert cart and coffee and tea?

*One or two builders have reported their lots are. I stand in awe of those who pull it off. I also fully understand why many builders don't bother.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#65 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 9:43 AM
Well now that Chris has posted that fix hopefully you shouldn't have to @gazania

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#66 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 12:39 PM
Also, from what Chris said, it's not a routing issue gazania.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#67 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 9:31 PM Last edited by gazania : 21st Jun 2018 at 2:46 PM.
This is a little presumptuous of me, but I disagree to an extent. I did not press any "disagree" button, though, because it could very well be that Chris and I are saying the same thing, only from a different approach.

One important thing I have noticed that enables a hotel housekeeper to work functionally is a clear route for his or her rounds. In the last contest, in a previous attempt at my motel, my housekeeper was blocked when the tour guide positioned himself too near the fence gates, and she could not get through. Most normal NPC Sims would stomp and often go on to do something else. She froze. In all but one instance when I used Inge's NPC chef in my motels, the housekeeper has frozen when she and the chef try to do the same thing at the same time. The NPC chef blocks his or her progress; the housekeeper freezes. Usually it involves washing dishes. If someone approaches the garbage pail or disposal at the same time as the housekeeper, the housekeeper freezes. Fix those problems, and he or she is cool; at least until the next blockage. If the housekeeper tries to make a bed against a wall, his or her routing is blocked by the wall when the NPC tries going on the other side. Freezing commences. I fixed the problems. Freezy didn't freeze.

I notice ... as so many have ... that the housekeeper has a pattern. It could be, as I think Chris was trying to indicate, that there is built-in coding that if impeded, the housekeeper is confused. Freezy doesn't know what to do. The action does not cancel out, thanks to Maxis coding. If this was a human, it would be a case of "how can this be?" So instead of going on to the next action, Freezy freezes. So it might be that we are indicating a variation of the same thing.

Farvoyager has written that the fix did not help in the case of the Mount Vladek hotel mentioned in the original post. This freezing issue might be more involved a fix than I can guess. Not surprising ... I am not a modder.

One thing I'm almost itchin' to do ... almost ... (do I want to raise my blood pressure? ) is to see if I have a copy of one of my failed hotel efforts in the contest: the one with the NPC chef and/or the one with the sunken foundations. Put them as a main hood motel in one of my test hoods and see if the mod solves the freezing issue. In the case of the NPC hotel, I KNOW it was the NPC that caused the problems. Will the mod supersede it? Will this mod enable someone to use units with sunken foundations? What happens?

I can be a real good tester in THIS case!

EDIT ... Alas, I got rid of my failed attempts. Not surprising. But I CAN put the NPC cook back in a copy of the motel and see what happens.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#68 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 11:02 PM
@gazania Where did Farvoyager say that Chris's fix did not help? I know they said Sim Wardrobes fix didn't work, but they are two different things.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#69 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 2:00 AM Last edited by gazania : 18th Jun 2018 at 2:10 AM.
Post 48. It probably helped in some way, but apparently, there were still issues? Or did I misunderstand?

I'm kicking myself that I didn't save my failed attempts. I do have that grandaddy of all of them, but I am almost positive that is beyond redemption. It is a cute residental lot, but there is too much wrong with it as a hotel to save it as such. I would not expect anything will help it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#70 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 2:07 AM
They say "The hotel maid was no longer on the sidewalk. In fact, she was nowhere on the lot." Huh. Did anything come of that? How strange. @Chris Hatch Post #48

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#71 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 4:15 PM
I never have problems with my hotels, I love playing them but, in A&N which is what I play these things are a little different. Hotel housekeepers test if there is a restaurant stove or podium in the same room as an item that needs cleaning and ignore it if it is. Conversely EP2 servers test if an item is inside a hotel room before cleaning it so A&N doesn't get the waitresses and housekeepers competing and getting in each other's way. I don't know if that can be made into a mod without causing the game to split the relevant NPC character files into two parts but I doubt it.
Tour guides always hang around the public phone so if the tour guide gets in the way just move the phone box, at ski resorts I place them inside the hotel (keep the poor tour guide out of the weather) and they work just fine.
When you look at the coding for hotels it's clear that Maxis programmers began by cloning them from EP1's dorms, the hotel controller still contains unused code for secret society abductions. It appears that once they had something that worked they rushed it out without adequately completing it. It is a pity because once the few bugs are ironed out BV is my favourite EP.

If you can find a hotel with severe routing issues I'd gladly to take a look and see if I can figure a way to get it to run OK(without A&N), perhaps make a mod to prevent the waitresses and housekeepers competing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#72 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 12:52 AM
What I had said was that Chris' mod caused the maid to disappear from the lot, but what I figured out is that she does not appear until 8AM and then she just stands on the sidewalk. The table issue in the restaurant was fixed (it was the centerpieces). Chris, you are welcome to look at my hotel if you want. I can send you the package. It has all sorts of pathing issues and was probably too complex of a lot to make into a hotel. But I tried because it's such a cool-looking lot! Silly me.

PS - I wish I knew as much as you guys!

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#73 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 4:06 AM
Oh, so your mod requires A&N, no well I don't use that. The majority of us are on M&G. @Farvoyager your hotel might be just the thing to give to Chris. :D

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#74 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:03 AM
I have the Sims 2 Ultimate collection, and I have no idea if it includes A&N. Supposedly it comes with everything. But I have Chris' mod installed again and the maid stays on the sidewalk after she appears at around 8AM.

--Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#75 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:32 AM
No, A&N is Chris's own self-made EP. You would know if you downloaded it. The UC is simply all EP's and SP's that EA made, so your last EP is AL and last SP/EP is M&G. I think maybe your game engine is not M&G like those of us on disks but rather Fun With Pet's. (not sure on that last part though never having used the UC) But the UC is the same as having all the disks.

~Call me Jo~
Page 3 of 4