Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 9:06 PM
It is true tho. Simmers are not the simmers that were before. This game filtered out the 'simmers' and new players showed up on the scene.

But it's also not true that 'simmers' of now are that stupid and do not know what they want. They do. It's just that MOST of those simmers do not have a PC that can support TS3, had really bad stings from previous games, hood corruptions, various game-breaking bugs, lag, lifeless looking sims, hardships whit the build mode, hardships with advancing the career path, geting money from skills only or just simply hardships with taking care of the needs and hardships with creating CC. It's all easier than ever now in TS4, and you can't really argue with that. EA, with their expansive marketing schemes has succesfuly managed to grapple their targeted audience of casual 'simmers' leaving those of us who look for depth in gameplay mechanics behind.

It's not really anyone's fault besides the game's fault. If the current gen of 'simmers' were the same as the ones from 'before' as you call it, and if TS4 stayed like it is now, it would flop. And not just the game. The whole franchise would flop. To be honest, I kinda wish it does, since that would mean more market opportunity for someone to make the game 'we' want... but that's not the case.

We have EA, and we have carefully planned strategy to get as much simmers as possible with a failed game and less money put in it's production. Luckily for EA, they know their games, and they know people playing their games. They know the 'simmers' of now, the casual ones that would just like to get in the game and not care about the 'depth' and such features, and just play out funny stories or their personal fantasies not really having to take care of anything else.

I've recently read review of TS4 in some magazine that's printed in my country. It was september of 2014 and to the reviewer back then, it was very obvious TS4 was designed for casual simmers, and not a die-hard fans of the series, which would be "left dissapointed". It was like this frim the start. It's not community's fault. It's the game's fault.
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr

But it's also not true that 'simmers' of now are that stupid and do not know what they want. They do. It's just that MOST of those simmers do not have a PC that can support TS3, had really bad stings from previous games, hood corruptions, various game-breaking bugs, lag, lifeless looking sims, hardships whit the build mode, hardships with advancing the career path, geting money from skills only or just simply hardships with taking care of the needs and hardships with creating CC. It's all easier than ever now in TS4, and you can't really argue with that. EA, with their expansive marketing schemes has succesfuly managed to grapple their targeted audience of casual 'simmers' leaving those of us who look for depth in gameplay mechanics behind.

I guess to summarize this point, I would put it this way:

American Pride is a pretty common thing. Growing up, I frankly never understood it. How can one show pride when one doesn't know the competition? When I finally left the USA, ironically now I feet some levels of pride for the first time ever towards certain aspects of USA culture. There's parts that are worse and parts that are better, but there's a pride to the good parts because they feel like "home" and played a big role in who I am today. Alongside that though, it gave me new perspective where when I see someone that's never left the USA call it the best country ever or that they love the USA so much....? The answer isn't neccesarily wrong, but the methods of reaching that answer suck. That to me is a false pride where they don't yet know what real pride feels like. In that same light, while there's some truth to "knowing what they want" since they're clearly still happy despite ignorance, I suppose the analogy I would use is akin to someone knowing they love generic chocolate cake, but being blissfully ignorant to the existence of black forest cake. If you have tried both, you have a better ability to more accurately say what you do and don't like amidst each group than if you solely have experience with just one. Perhaps they'd love black forest cake even more, perhaps it'd be too sweet for them. They do not know though until they try it, and they cannot accurately pinpoint strengths and weaknesses of the two until they try it. Unfortunately, there are plenty of Simmers that proudly state they only play the Sims. (and others who only play this genre of games)

Aside from that, I'd say we should recognize "fault" as a typical definition is ridiculous here. I get the sense you guys view this in the sense of someone needing to be at fault for the flaws we see. I view "fault" in this scenario and the way I would use it here is more of a neutral cause-and-effect. Think of it this way: if I sneeze and startle you, causing you to drop your expensive laptop and break it...? I am "at fault" in a cause-and-effect sort of way, but there was no ill-intent or negligence on my behalf, and the legal system recognizes that I shouldn't be held accountable or shamed for this because that would be ridiculous.

Yes, we should absolutely acknowledge that when the community buys these games, they have a hand in being at fault for the drop in quality, since EA recognizes they're being paid the same despite the drop, so it encourages them to keep going. (and that's not absolving EA of fault either; theirs is a given from the start so no need to even discuss it) Recognizing that helps us understand why the things happen the way they do. But "fault" in the sense of "doing something wrong" is difficult and often pointless to discuss since we're millions of people with millions of individual motivations, opinions for our purchasing habits and preferences, so it's not really something that can be applied. I think at the end of the day, fans should absolutely understand that if they purchase a product that they feel has less quality than before, the only message EA is seeing is "money's still in the bank, and infact we profited more since we saved on production costs. It motivates them to keep cutting. When purchasing, one should be absolutely ready to accept those consequences and admit you yourself played a role in them, but bickering or pointing the finger of blame is not the goal and brings absolutely nothing. It's about understanding how the system of things works, not blame.

I guess my point is that...I find it very easy to look at "the others" (EA) and point blame and talk about how bad they are for manipulating buyers. All of that is absolutely true. However, focusing on that brings nothing. Understanding your own actions (which are your right and in no way "bad") and their consequences though? Self-criticism is often more valuable than criticism of the actions of others. We still have control of ourselves as individuals and we can make sound decisions to meet our personal goals when we have the proper outlook and information neccesary. Key part of that: "with the information neccesary" and understanding how the cycle works. My worry is that there are people unsatisfied with the product, yet they do things opposite to their own goals and desires precisely because some people do not want to explore the idea that the community can share a hand in being at "fault." Let's call it what it is but refrain from judgement.

And just to tie this a bit back in to the topic, I've seen the game and read the posts since Seasons release: Sims blatantly walking through objects or teleporting, time glitches resurfacing (to me it seems to happen when the weather status changes), and other little odd tidbits I've heard from others. This engine has seemed questionable from day one, yet here we are pushing it's limits and here we are watching the same bugs unfold despite two recent patches. Why? Because people bought it anyways. Improvements don't really happen until people make noise and some wallets start shutting. Not about blaming those that buy, but merely it is what it is.
Instructor
#53 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Because of the community.

Star Wars is a franchise expanding outside of the scope of some game, and the game had great hype it couldn't live up to not due to poor game design, but due to greed. It was extra annoying because it was so-close-and-yet-so-far, and if they could JUUUUST get the lootboxes axed, then the game would be satisfying enough. (still had problems I heard, but wouldn't be awful)

The Sims is a community that has only ever been a video game, and what's more, it's community - stupidly frequently - is played by people that only play the Sims and nothing else, or at best they're willing to try games like Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley since they have a similar genre to them. That means a couple things for the Sims community:

1) Much of the community lacks perspective. If you were to tell them that, for example, snow lacking depth and other steps backward are inexcuseable in a time when companies like Nintendo released games as massive as Breath of the Wild, they'd simply have no idea what you're talking about. They would lack perspective on your example. If you tried to continue and say "well see, BotW managed to combine some of the good combat elements of Dark Souls while having a world many times bigger than Skyrim's," again you might as well be speaking moonspeak to them because they have no idea what the scope of any of that stuff is.

If EA tries to swindle the Star Wars fans with some pay-to-win mechanic, the Star Wars fans are more well-rounded on the gaming front and know, for example, that there's a steam summer sale where they can get full games for as cheap as $5, and of course a Sims 4 expansion pack cannot compete with that in terms of content count. This is never considered though, so you have people shelling out $40 without batting an eye or even questioning if the price tag for the content received might be disproportional compared to the rest of the market.

2) This ties into #1, but I'm sure some will respond "I don't care about those other games for $5, I only care about the Sims. Why shouldn't I pay for it then?" They have a point and they don't. They have a point in the sense that Sims doesn't really have that many competitors in it's genre, since even similar games like My Time At Portia, Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing are mechanically different, focusing more on letting you build up a life for your character instead of, for example, trying to create a town from scratch. However, this also glosses over the fact that if I do want to build a town from scratch, Sims 2 and Sims 3 are better suited for that job since they offer more customization options. Why is it that we're paying more for less? Why are we sending the message of "Yes EA, I love it when you remove features you used to provide. Please keep doing that and please keep killing the franchise slowly." It's a good question, but it's one that gets glossed over when unfortunately EA holds a monopoly and there are a good sum of people who don't care to try and branch out to other hobbies or game types, so they keep coming back to the Sims to get their fix regardless of the circumstances.

3) Again, this ties into #2, and it's a point I've repeated many times, but cannot repeat enough: There is psychological evidence that people get personally invested in brands and psychologically process brand failures similar to personal failures. Video here covering it, and I know when I was studying I could access the link to the study found here via my university, if anyone cares to read it themselves.

Take a bunch of people emotionally invested in the success of their beloved brand, give EA a monopoly, toss in a lackluster product and other examples of OTHER EA franchises disappearing off the face of the Earth after underperforming, and suddenly you have this fear that the Sims series could die. That itself probably has people thinking their backs are to the wall with the franchise (ieven when they're not) and the result is you get some very overzealous fans defending this franchise to the grave and back regardless of what it does, all because it's an important franchise for them and they're so invested in it they're probably reacting as if they themselves were in danger of dying off or something. They argue tooth and nail because they feel they have no other choice but to defend the franchise at all times; it's a dangerous mix of both being subconsciously too emotionally invested in the product combined with a somewhat rational fear that the franchise could die if it underperforms. (rational because we've seen evidence this is plausible, irrational because it doesn't ever stop to ask "how much should we allow ourselves to lose before it stops being worth it to fight for it's life?")

I've said it before and mean it half-jokingly, but I would seriously love to hear a legitimate psychological analysis on if select members of the Sims community qualify as having Stockholm Syndrome. The legitimate condition would of course be a no, (lots of specifications about being a hostage whereas here they're willing consumers) but some similarities that parallel the "spirit" of Stockholm Syndrome? That can absolutely be discussed.

Result
is that if some big issue within the Sims community arises that is drama-worthy:

1) It has poor connections to the mainstream gamer media outlets and will struggle to pick up steam. Star Wars picked up because of movie fans and even non-gamers getting access to how greedy EA was and throwing in their support for the fans.
2) Half the players of the Sims will be discouraging that it's a big deal and calling critics entitled and spoiled to try and shout any backlash down. Hard to organize when half your team is against you.
3) People buy it anyways, because they have nowhere else to turn.

Star Wars had the right connections to the right outlets and it's big enough that even if this Star Wars product sucks, they can get their fix elsewhere. That's two of three categories in their favor, and I'd argue the third wasn't as bad for them as it was for the Sims either. Sims has some seriously die-hard fans, whereas I'd argue die-hard Star Wars fans have seen enough that they've at least had to internally come to terms with some Star Wars products being terrible, even if they don't like to openly admit it.

Hate to say it, but I honestly don't see a way for the Sims franchise/community to improve from this position at all. I'm not even talking about individual game or pack quality, since those could randomly spike or drop on their own, but I'm talking about the weird dependency fans have on EA even when EA is terrible. It's like a battered housewife that knows her husband is terrible and could be better, but keeps coming back, dreaming that things will one day magically go back to the way they were. Even if tomorrow the Sims 4 team suddenly got way more motivated and had four times the funding of before and started knocking packs out of the park, that wouldn't change that the right pieces are in place to allow this dependency on EA to happen all over again. It doesn't seem like Sims communities are gonna establish better connections with other gaming communities, so their perspective on pricing and ability to pick up steam as a drama story in media outlets remains limited, and we know damned well EA isn't parting with the Sims license.

This kind of operates under the assumption that the people like that are real Sims players...the way I see it the same way as there is a line between casual gamers and true geeks there is a line between entrance level Simmers and actual hardcore fans. The people who defend EA to the bitter end aren't real Sims fans. So I wouldn't really consider them worthy of the title "Community". Those people are just kids who came upon the franchise recently and are so used to mobile game and facebook game shadiness that they think that EA is an angel for allowing them to guide their Sim from point A to point B without charging for it.

In other words...the die hard fans you think are die hard? AREN'T. They are the new kids on the block. The ones who buy the Simguru bull and see any kind of negativity as mummy and daddy fighting. Die hard Sims fans KNOW EA intimately. They've been sizing up EAs bullshit for years and debating whether it's worth it with their wallet. And those Simmers? Have never seemed more cynical or fed up than they do currently. The Sims is marketed at a general audience and will always have naive casual players that hand out their money without thought, but the Sims like ALL EA gamelines only really survives because of the dedicated long term players. Those players? Have never been more discontent than they are now. Now I'm not a unrealistic individual it'll be a cold day in hell before EA actually changes it's ways due to customer discontent. But when this game franchise goes the way of Dead Space?Due to lack of sales? You'll have the die hard fans to thank for the farce finally being over.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
There has been endless screaming about cheat codes being removed from the game since the patch.

http://simscommunity.info/2018/06/2...removed-cheats/

From where I'm sitting, this seems pretty straight forward. If you put code ( or many codes in this case) in a game that has the ability to break said game to the point of beyond repair, you remove them before releasing the patch. Did common sense prevail? Nope!

I guess any attention is good attention as they seem to keep lurching from one land mine to another. The funny part about this is they create their own headaches and problems. How dare anybody call these people out on anything, but yet when asked who to blame, said question is always greeted with silence. 2-way street always seems to only flow in one direction....

What I don't understand is why it took them 4 years to figure out the cheats were BAD. I would have thought they would have figured it out a long time before now, or are some modders getting too good at there mods. Just a thought.
Instructor
#55 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 12:09 PM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 30th Jun 2018 at 3:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bur1440
What I don't understand is why it took them 4 years to figure out the cheats were BAD. I would have thought they would have figured it out a long time before now, or are some modders getting too good at there mods. Just a thought.

Odd thing is the one cheat that's not working for me is the one cheat I could swear the game used it's damn self when things froze up. Reset Sim is like the only way to unfreeze this game so why did they get rid of it?
Scholar
#56 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 12:27 PM
Actually, I corrupted my save game twice since getting seasons where I cannot play or build, 'but I thank myself lucky to had backups, the first time it started when I decided to "visit" my own lot, because I wanted to play this household but everybody was out somewhere, and doing it this reduces loading screen time.

The second time I experimenting with the new Seasons cheats, and was asking for it, so if are using that script to enable all cheats be very cautious with them, and backup your saves folder daily, and don't just rely on the game do this for you, its only keeps 4 backups, and you may find yourself 4 backups too late before you notice something out of the ordinary.
Instructor
#57 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 5:32 PM

Just putting it out there. If there were no cheats or Modders, The Sims games would have collapsed long ago. So are Modders to blame for EA carrying on with it and would it now be better made or made by some other company?
Runs and hides.
Instructor
#58 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 12:03 AM

LOL I don't know. I did have the summon object cheat break a few saves. Was pretty interesting that I summoned a pond in the middle of the road, found a mod that let me build one, then found out I could build it in debug. Sad thing whole thing could have been avoided if the Sims 4 had some Sims 1 build tools in the first place with terrain and pond tools. Why those tools still haven't been patched in four years in is beyond me at this point. I heard debug cheat got removed, but I haven't checked the cheat yet.
Instructor
#59 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 12:10 AM

Hey man, it's going on four years and they still haven't even touched musical chairs despite it being the most loathed and iconic Sims 4 bug. Who knows what guides the decisions going on amongst the team.
Scholar
#60 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 4:41 AM
Some Adults still walk like a toddler, is still clearly around, doesn't surprise me, I wonder what they actually did get right with the big list announced as "fixed".
Page 3 of 3