Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 3:48 PM
Default Pets like people?
I am posting this on behalf of the GF, she refuses to post on forums (*sigh*). I have already told her there is a good chance her files are corrupted but if anyone can help, we would both appreciate it.

Let me start off by saying yes, I tried everything on the Game Problem FAQ before posting. Including but not limited to: Removing Cache files, Patching, backing up and renaming the documents/EA Games/Sims 2 folder (forcing the game to recreate it) and turning off ALL mods on her game.

So in one of her neighborhoods she went to place a sim in a lot (or house) and the game froze on her. She wasn't clear how she shut it down (probably leading to the corruption) but she did. She went back in, tried again, and it froze again. Since then, every time she went to the family selector the game would freeze. I did fix this issue by simply renaming the N001 neighborhood folder, loading the game, and changing the N001 folder name back so now the family selector worked. But a new problem arose and this is where I am at.

We are not sure if the problem existed before my fix, as it didn't occur to me to try and load an existing family. But now, any family in that neighborhood A) does not interact with anything by command. They will walk around and what not, and do things, but you cant tell them what to do. When you issue a command it dissapears like the sim has just ignored you. and B) pets are like people. GF hated me for cracking up but pets try to walk like people. If a screenshot will help I can grab one when she is back. Pets hover above the floor at person height, interact with all human things (like a toilet, it was horrific and hilarious at the same time) and you can select them along the normal sim selector so its like they are just a regular sim and not a pet.

This is only with the characters that were in that neighborhood. All other neighborhoods are fine. Moving them to a newly created neighborhood does not help. I tried everything in the FAQ "Before Posting" section. I believe all the Character files are corrupt and hence, not salvageable but if someone is familiar with a fix I am all ears.

Running Windows 7, 16gb of ram, GeForce GTX 670, Core i7 4770k quad core 3.5ghz processor.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 4:56 PM
Woosh - sounds bad. I would guess you're right and something major has happened to the files when the game crashed. Does she have a back up? Did you try deleting the neighbourhood.package - long shot but might help.

The good news is it seems to be confined to one neighbourhood, so it's not game file corruption but neighbourhood corruption which can be solved most easily by - <intake of breath> - deleting the neighbourhood.

Also, don't move sims from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. When you did that, you corrupted the files of both neighbourhoods.

If she has sims she really wants to keep, she can use SimPE to extract their likeness and recreate them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 5:03 PM
Yeah, sounds like some pretty bad corruption. I wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots, though. I'm curious.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 5:26 PM
Also, I moved this to Help - more likely to get some, er, help here

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc