Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 2:57 PM
Default Downloads giveaway?
Hello everyone

I recently went back into Sims 2 after a long detox period (am I the only one who gets completely caught up in the game for months and then suddenly stops playing for a long time?). In an attempt to move my downloads from an old PC to my new one, I lost a lot of them - not really sure how, but most of the files were lost/broken when I went to open the game. I might have made a mistake, or something went wrong in the process, which sucks since I had thousands and thousands of downloads for Sims 2 just like many of you guys.
The game is really not the same without all my bunkbeds and blue hair, and re-downloading everything is such a slow process - besides, most of my downloads were many years old, and lots of the creator sites I used to love seem to be closed now.
So I was wondering: is someone out there willing to share their downloading files with me somehow? If someone has a huge downloads folder for Sims 2 lying around, I would be forever grateful if they would share. It sure would save me many hours of downloading
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emblareiff
Hello everyone

I recently went back into Sims 2 after a long detox period (am I the only one who gets completely caught up in the game for months and then suddenly stops playing for a long time?). In an attempt to move my downloads from an old PC to my new one, I lost a lot of them - not really sure how, but most of the files were lost/broken when I went to open the game. I might have made a mistake, or something went wrong in the process, which sucks since I had thousands and thousands of downloads for Sims 2 just like many of you guys.
The game is really not the same without all my bunkbeds and blue hair, and re-downloading everything is such a slow process - besides, most of my downloads were many years old, and lots of the creator sites I used to love seem to be closed now.
So I was wondering: is someone out there willing to share their downloading files with me somehow? If someone has a huge downloads folder for Sims 2 lying around, I would be forever grateful if they would share. It sure would save me many hours of downloading

What style do you usually play with? Like, Maxis Match, realistic?
Test Subject
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:49 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone share their download folder but it would sure be a lot easier than starting from nothing 😅
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:57 PM
The problem with that is that everyone's folder is customized to their tastes. So if someone shared their folder, chances are it isn't what you'd like.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 5:18 PM
It'd be fun though. I can imagine someone looking at the stuff I have in my main hood folder- what ever posessed her to download THAT?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 7:24 PM
I think that anyway SimSample - just looking at your pictures.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 7:34 PM
Oh, but there's so much wonderful new stuff! Just do a search for items as you need them. You'll be amazed what you find.

Go on WCIF for specific things that you really miss as you play.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 8:13 PM
Thing is, you could download someone else's folder and then not like a big chunk of the stuff in it. THEN you'd have to cull that and then go ahead and find more stuff you like, anyway. You wouldn't be saving yourself much time.

For my part, A) I wouldn't wish my mess of a downloads folder on anyone and B) With my crappy-slow internet, it'd probably take about 24hrs to upload it. Seriously, not long ago I uploaded a 2GB file to a free large-file filesharing service for someone to download. Between my crappy satellite internet (which is nonetheless the best available in my very rural area) and the fact that when you're using those filesharing hosts for free instead of paying them money, they throttle back your upload speed, it took almost 7 hours to upload that one file. My full DL folder is ~4x that size, so...uh, no. Not gonna happen.

IMO, the best way to go about gathering stuff from scratch is to start with defaults. Of, like, everything, or at least everything you don't like the pure-Maxis look of. There are defaults for lots of things, from terrains to object textures, to face templates, to clothes and hair. The default database is a good place to start for the CAS stuff: https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/ Default everything (assuming you don't like the pure Maxis look) to make everything prettier and then just play for a while in a throwaway neighborhood. As things about the gameplay annoy you, note it down and look for mods that will fix it. (There's a mod for just about everything that can be modded, at this point), and while you're sort of test-playing you can look for more stuff you want to download, especially if you've noticed deficiencies in certain categories. You can do more specific searches for just those categories, which makes things a little less overwhelming.

Finally, for some older sites that were popular in their heydey but that are now gone, check out this: https://www.liquidsims.com/community-archives/ And for an easily-searchable repository of hairs and hair recolors, there's this: http://allthehairs.podserver.info/ For new stuff....Aside from here on MTS (which isn't as active for uploads as it used to be) and stuff that gets posted on GOS, most of it is on tumblr these days because it's such a convenient platform to upload pics and provide links that can then be easily reblogged through the community. Lots of new stuff for TS2 is being posted every day. If you don't have/don't want a tumblr of your own that you can use to find stuff, there's this person's finds blog: http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s2cc She reblogs most CC in the tumblr community. (I linked to the TS2 stuff, but she does all the games.) There's also Trapping's old finds blog here: http://trappingcrushes.tumblr.com/ Trapping has since come back to the community, but she's not doing finds anymore. You'll still find lots of good stuff on her old finds blog, though, even though it hasn't been updated since 2014.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 8:24 PM
MTS respects creators TOU's, so sharing other's cc on this site is not allowed. There are exceptions for sites that no longer exists, but not in this format.
Test Subject
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Thing is, you could download someone else's folder and then not like a big chunk of the stuff in it. THEN you'd have to cull that and then go ahead and find more stuff you like, anyway. You wouldn't be saving yourself much time.

For my part, A) I wouldn't wish my mess of a downloads folder on anyone and B) With my crappy-slow internet, it'd probably take about 24hrs to upload it. Seriously, not long ago I uploaded a 2GB file to a free large-file filesharing service for someone to download. Between my crappy satellite internet (which is nonetheless the best available in my very rural area) and the fact that when you're using those filesharing hosts for free instead of paying them money, they throttle back your upload speed, it took almost 7 hours to upload that one file. My full DL folder is ~4x that size, so...uh, no. Not gonna happen.

IMO, the best way to go about gathering stuff from scratch is to start with defaults. Of, like, everything, or at least everything you don't like the pure-Maxis look of. There are defaults for lots of things, from terrains to object textures, to face templates, to clothes and hair. The default database is a good place to start for the CAS stuff: https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/ Default everything (assuming you don't like the pure Maxis look) to make everything prettier and then just play for a while in a throwaway neighborhood. As things about the gameplay annoy you, note it down and look for mods that will fix it. (There's a mod for just about everything that can be modded, at this point), and while you're sort of test-playing you can look for more stuff you want to download, especially if you've noticed deficiencies in certain categories. You can do more specific searches for just those categories, which makes things a little less overwhelming.

Finally, for some older sites that were popular in their heydey but that are now gone, check out this: https://www.liquidsims.com/community-archives/ And for an easily-searchable repository of hairs and hair recolors, there's this: http://allthehairs.podserver.info/ For new stuff....Aside from here on MTS (which isn't as active for uploads as it used to be) and stuff that gets posted on GOS, most of it is on tumblr these days because it's such a convenient platform to upload pics and provide links that can then be easily reblogged through the community. Lots of new stuff for TS2 is being posted every day. If you don't have/don't want a tumblr of your own that you can use to find stuff, there's this person's finds blog: http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s2cc She reblogs most CC in the tumblr community. (I linked to the TS2 stuff, but she does all the games.) There's also Trapping's old finds blog here: http://trappingcrushes.tumblr.com/ Trapping has since come back to the community, but she's not doing finds anymore. You'll still find lots of good stuff on her old finds blog, though, even though it hasn't been updated since 2014.

There's also the monthly updates on simscave that link to new cc which is very useful

simscave TS2 Updates
simscave Update archive
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I think that anyway SimSample - just looking at your pictures.

Aww, c'mon Maxon- you wish your sims could pull off that black PVC as well as mine do!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:07 AM
The biggest problem of sharing another's DL folder is that most of us are still sorting out what things we consider 'junk' as we play-because alot of us do have folders we copy from our hard drive back ups that we didn't realize had so much of it.

My best answer is to start with the basics and then work your way back up to the game you want to play. You possibly wouldn't want some of the racier stuff that some of us have, and you possibly would not want the aesthetics we play with in your game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#13 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:19 AM
There's also the thing that a lot of us mod the mods, from townifying custom clothing to changing the category and pricing of objects to merging recolours.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#14 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:28 AM
I wouln't share mine because almost all of my clothes are repositoried and might require EPs/SPs you don't have.
Plus, think about those files that go iniside the installation folder - like the CEP or the CEP extras...
I would follow iCad advice and build it myself. I know it's a pain, I had to start over after I had so much CC that the game took 20 mins just to load. But in this way you can get the stuff you like; personally I have lots of fun when dowloading new stuff! The problem is that then I can't stop
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Aww, c'mon Maxon- you wish your sims could pull off that black PVC as well as mine do!

SimSample certainly looks ... shiney in it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 1:36 AM
While we understand where you are coming from, there are so many issues with what you are asking. TOU's of creators, getting stuff you don't like (there are many styles) unwanted mods and the fact that it would take all day literally to upload an entire download folder.

Consider this a chance for a fresh start (you don't want most years old stuff, stuff made now is so much better) to keep things organized and modernize your downloads.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 4:29 AM
Do you still have the old computer? How did you try transferring the files over?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 3:14 PM
Also remember, if your really miss some kind of CC you can always ask in the WCIF section of this forum, people ask about lots of stuff, from specific (does somebody have this chair from this missing site) to the general (I need office furniture).
For all the blue hair you could want, have you seen this site?
Forum Resident
#19 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
MTS respects creators TOU's, so sharing other's cc on this site is not allowed. There are exceptions for sites that no longer exists, but not in this format.

My apologies, I thought it was okay as the site was gone!

I'll just delete my post as I don't really have anything useful to add
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#20 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 8:57 PM
No links to any specific post(s) or download(s) BUT - a few years ago sharing download folders was all the rage on tumblr. I can't guarantee that any of those post(s) and/or download(s) exist anymore but you might find something doing a search.

I DO advise against just throwing someone else's download folder into your game for the reasons already mentioned - you can end up with a great big mess and since you just threw a ton of stuff in there? Finding the problem(s) would be a huge pain.

Starting over is a huge pain but it's also fun.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:25 PM
I find searching for and downloading stuff almost as fun as playing the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 1:15 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 5th Aug 2018 at 8:23 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 5429039, 5429044
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
What style do you usually play with? Like, Maxis Match, realistic?

I prefer the more "realistic" mods I remember how I would hardly ever use the original maxis content when building houses or creating sims.

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
The problem with that is that everyone's folder is customized to their tastes. So if someone shared their folder, chances are it isn't what you'd like.

You're totally right, however I think a lot of us might have a lot of the same basic "stylish" kitchens and couches and all that jazz, the kinda stuff that's boring to find but awesome to have, you know? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe most peoples' downloads folder are all vampire wallpaper and ugly chairs But I'm sure I could find something to really like in anyone's folder :D

Quote: Originally posted by Dulcinea
I don't think I've ever seen anyone share their download folder but it would sure be a lot easier than starting from nothing 😅

Exactly :D

Quote: Originally posted by *_Drew~
I wouln't share mine because almost all of my clothes are repositoried and might require EPs/SPs you don't have.
Plus, think about those files that go iniside the installation folder - like the CEP or the CEP extras...
I would follow iCad advice and build it myself. I know it's a pain, I had to start over after I had so much CC that the game took 20 mins just to load. But in this way you can get the stuff you like; personally I have lots of fun when dowloading new stuff! The problem is that then I can't stop

I guess the thing is I would never ever expect another persons downloads folder to erfectly match my preferences, I would totally be aware that I probably wouldn't use it all or love it all. So maybe you're right, it's easier to just start over - I just remember how much myhand would hurt after all those nights of downloading till 3 in the morning imposibble to stop

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It'd be fun though. I can imagine someone looking at the stuff I have in my main hood folder- what ever posessed her to download THAT?

You wouldn't be the only one!

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Oh, but there's so much wonderful new stuff! Just do a search for items as you need them. You'll be amazed what you find.

Go on WCIF for specific things that you really miss as you play.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out that site, never used that before!

Quote: Originally posted by iCad

Thank you so much for those links, I'll have a look on them as I'll probably end up redownloading So nice of you !

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
While we understand where you are coming from, there are so many issues with what you are asking. TOU's of creators, getting stuff you don't like (there are many styles) unwanted mods and the fact that it would take all day literally to upload an entire download folder.

Consider this a chance for a fresh start (you don't want most years old stuff, stuff made now is so much better) to keep things organized and modernize your downloads.

I totally get what you're saying and you're probably right though I never asked for it to be perfect or to be a certain way at all, simply anything would have been amazing. But yeah, the files take forever to upload and I understand why it would be a hassle, that's why I never expected anything, just thought I'd try and ask on here
Mad Poster
#23 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 6:43 PM Last edited by gazania : 6th Aug 2018 at 7:35 PM.
There is another problem as well.

Many of us have mods with custom NPCs, such as custom PTs. The one I have has four of them. Other custom NPCs would include the bumper cars in the download site and some of Affinity Sims' animals.

If you decide to take these out because you don't like them, you can corrupt your hoods.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 3:19 AM
I did share my baby/toddler folder at one point, you are welcome to that if you want to pm me for a link to my Box.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~